Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Despite his history in Buffalo, I doubt Briere waives his NMC to go to the worst team in the league. I could see him maybe agreeing to go to a contender at the deadline if he's still a marginal fourth liner with us, but with his comments about coming home to play with the Habs I think we're stuck with him until at least next season.

A pure guess on my part with regards to the Buffalo - Montreal rumour. My guess: Briere for Stafford, provided Briere waives his NMC.

Why for Montreal? Stafford is a better fit on the right wing than Briere and adds some needed size to the table...and inconsistency which means he'll fit right in. If Briere is going to be a scratch moving forward, it's going to become a constant feeding frenzy until the situation resolves itself.

Why for Buffalo? Even though they're rebuilding, some veterans are needed. Briere is loved in Buffalo and the Sabres are ridiculously thin down the middle. I don't think Briere would waive his NMC to too many places but this would probably be one of them. If Briere could re-discover his game, it's a smart buy-low.

Before anyone asks, both players have one year past this one on their deals at an identical cap hit of $4 M so the money is a wash.

to get rid of Briere I would jump on it. Stafford is no hell but he is not a smurf.

I'd take this deal in an instant.

A pure guess on my part with regards to the Buffalo - Montreal rumour. My guess: Briere for Stafford, provided Briere waives his NMC.

Why for Montreal? Stafford is a better fit on the right wing than Briere and adds some needed size to the table...and inconsistency which means he'll fit right in. If Briere is going to be a scratch moving forward, it's going to become a constant feeding frenzy until the situation resolves itself.

Why for Buffalo? Even though they're rebuilding, some veterans are needed. Briere is loved in Buffalo and the Sabres are ridiculously thin down the middle. I don't think Briere would waive his NMC to too many places but this would probably be one of them. If Briere could re-discover his game, it's a smart buy-low.

Before anyone asks, both players have one year past this one on their deals at an identical cap hit of $4 M so the money is a wash.

Hahaha, inconsistent. I would take Stafford over Briere, maybe they're thinking he can be their Captain when Ott leaves. Stafford will fit in, he can be one of the seven out of the top-9 who aren't going on any given night.

Despite his history in Buffalo, I doubt Briere waives his NMC to go to the worst team in the league. I could see him maybe agreeing to go to a contender at the deadline if he's still a marginal fourth liner with us, but with his comments about coming home to play with the Habs I think we're stuck with him until at least next season.

Hey don't spoil the dream. Give us a few minutes to at least savour the thought.

Guest Stogey24

He'll get top minutes in Buffalo and he had his best years there. I can honesty see it happening.

I proposed Desharnais for Stafford at the beginning of the season. I still propose it :)

Stafford seems like a guy who will benefit from a change of scenery. He'll probably never be a 30 goal guy again, but could definitely round into a perennial 15-20 goals on a different team.

Guest Stogey24

I proposed Desharnais for Stafford at the beginning of the season. I still propose it :)

Stafford seems like a guy who will benefit from a change of scenery. He'll probably never be a 30 goal guy again, but could definitely round into a perennial 15-20 goals on a different team.

Briere wants out and M.B knows its time to move him. The only team that might take Briere is Buffalo.

Ray Ferraro once commented that UFAs sometimes "go home" to big markets like Montreal or Toronto when they're on the back-end of their careers and aren't especially hungry any more, but just want to sentimentally play out their career in a romantic setting (my words, not his). If this applies to Briere, then he isn't particularly driven to win a Cup and is more interested in being comfortable; in which case, Buffalo might well suit him. He knows the town, he'll get lots of ice time, he'll be a big cheese, won't have to compete for a roster spot like he's had to do here, won't be asked to play W, etc., etc.. So I wouldn't rule this out at all.

• 2 weeks later...

With Grigerenko refusing to report to the Ramparts, I wonder if there is a chance to get him from Buffalo. We could move a guy like Leblanc, who seems to be out of favour in Montreal along with a D prospect like Pateryn or one of one of our other forward prospects like Hudon, Andrighetto, or Bozon.

I know it would be a gamble, since he obviously wants to play in the NHL and could bolt to the KHL, despite being under contract to Buffalo. I think he is worth the gamble. Make the trade for him. Make a deal with him that he'll get a real chance on the 3rd line for 5 to 7 games and if he doesn't look like he belongs, he is willing to spend the rest of the year with the Ramparts. With Galchenyuk out, I think it would be great putting him with Eller.

With Grigerenko refusing to report to the Ramparts, I wonder if there is a chance to get him from Buffalo. We could move a guy like Leblanc, who seems to be out of favour in Montreal along with a D prospect like Pateryn or one of one of our other forward prospects like Hudon, Andrighetto, or Bozon.

I know it would be a gamble, since he obviously wants to play in the NHL and could bolt to the KHL, despite being under contract to Buffalo. I think he is worth the gamble. Make the trade for him. Make a deal with him that he'll get a real chance on the 3rd line for 5 to 7 games and if he doesn't look like he belongs, he is willing to spend the rest of the year with the Ramparts. With Galchenyuk out, I think it would be great putting him with Eller.

It'd be a gamble for Buffalo who would be nuts to move a guy one year removed from being a consensus top-10 pick for a player thought by many to be a bust, a depth D prospect, and a long-shot prospect. If that's all it would take for him, the Habs would be all over that.

Grigorenko can't bolt to the KHL as the two leagues have an agreement to respect each others' active contracts. He'd have to wait to be an RFA to do that.

It'd be a gamble for Buffalo who would be nuts to move a guy one year removed from being a consensus top-10 pick for a player thought by many to be a bust, a depth D prospect, and a long-shot prospect. If that's all it would take for him, the Habs would be all over that.

Grigorenko can't bolt to the KHL as the two leagues have an agreement to respect each others' active contracts. He'd have to wait to be an RFA to do that.

I may be over-valuing Leblanc - most here seem to think he belongs in the NHL. Aren't Hudon and Bozan considered pretty solid prospects?? If not, maybe a Collberg along with Fucale would make it more attractive. Even throw in their old hero Briere :lol:

Anyway, I'd pretty much be willing to move ANY prospect we have for Grigerenko, but would try to avoid giving up Tinordi or Beaulieu.

Buffalo's crazy. You missed the boat already on sending Grigorenko to juniors, just stick with him in the NHL for now, it's not like your games matter at all anymore. At worst he'll help you secure the #1 pick. If they gave him 10-12 minutes a night he should be able to learn and develop.

As for us getting Grigorenko, even if they were looking to dump him, they would surely try to avoid doing so within the division. Unless of course we broke the bank for him, and at this point I'm doubtful of whether Grigs is worth that much.

Buffalo's crazy. You missed the boat already on sending Grigorenko to juniors, just stick with him in the NHL for now, it's not like your games matter at all anymore. At worst he'll help you secure the #1 pick. If they gave him 10-12 minutes a night he should be able to learn and develop.

As for us getting Grigorenko, even if they were looking to dump him, they would surely try to avoid doing so within the division. Unless of course we broke the bank for him, and at this point I'm doubtful of whether Grigs is worth that much.

I think Grigs could turn out to be one of the top 5 players from the 2012 draft. Let's face it Buffalo was a mess and if they were going to play him on the 4th line, they should have sent him back to junior. Frankly, i'd be willing to move any of our top prospects for him, but think if we did offer a solid D prospect (again TRYING to avoid Beaulieu/Tinordi), and a couple of good forward prospects, we might be able to make the deal. I also think a D prospect, Forward Prospect and Briere might even get the deal done. Buffalo is going to need some veteran leadership and they might be the one team that has a serious interest in Briere.

Briere has a NMC and is taking his last swan-song with his childhood team. He isn't going anywhere.

I'm on the fence about Grigs in particular, but he's the type of player that we should be looking to add - a young scoring forward with upside. I doubt Buffalo would let us get him and risk watching him burn them for the next decade.

Interesting that Grigs and Yakupov have struggled so much while Galchenyuk has quietly taken up a reliable and regular shift on ye olde Montreal Canadiens. I think analysts should ask some serious questions about which team got the best forward in that draft. ;)

If they send him back now, it doesn't count as a season accrued towards UFA status (40 games on the roster). Yes, he played 10 games and burned a year on his ELC but doing this now gives him another RFA year. It's the same thing as last year with him.

In other words, Galchenyuk at the end of this year is 5 years away from UFA. Grigorenko will still be 7.

If they send him back now, it doesn't count as a season accrued towards UFA status (40 games on the roster). Yes, he played 10 games and burned a year on his ELC but doing this now gives him another RFA year. It's the same thing as last year with him.

In other words, Galchenyuk at the end of this year is 5 years away from UFA. Grigorenko will still be 7.

I see, that's a good reason then. They've still screwed the pooch pretty royally with him. If he flat out refuses to go back to juniors, what options are there? A loan move to Europe?

RFA years are pretty valuable, but with a top prospect like Galchenyuk or, one would hope, Grigorenko, they don't make that much of a difference after the second contract if the player pans out.

Grigorenko basically may = Radulov? I would steer clear of shipping "any" Hab prospect for him.

But that Nakuskin (sp??) with Dallas, I would swap any Hab prospect for.

I see, that's a good reason then. They've still screwed the pooch pretty royally with him. If he flat out refuses to go back to juniors, what options are there? A loan move to Europe?

their best option is to send him to the Habs and take dd or briere in trade. Sounds like a great deal to me. :hyper:

But that Nakuskin (sp??) with Dallas, I would swap any Hab prospect for.

Yeah, he really impressed me in the World Juniors where he looked bigger, faster, and more skilled than anyone else on the ice. I thought he would be in the top 5-6 but he fell down the draft board a bit. I wonder if Vancouver will eventually regret taking Horvat over him.

Yeah, he really impressed me in the World Juniors where he looked bigger, faster, and more skilled than anyone else on the ice. I thought he would be in the top 5-6 but he fell down the draft board a bit. I wonder if Vancouver will eventually regret taking Horvat over him.

He must be the youngest (good) hockey player going to Olympics?