GDT Buffalo @ Montreal 01/31/12

johnnyhasbeen

Treat this year as a development year for Subban, Emelin, Diaz, etc and get that big center in the draft. If Markov can come back, we dump some crap, and we add a few piece parts, we can be a real contender in a year or two.

I have always said... if Pleks is your number one center, you are weak down the middle. (no offense to Pleks, but he is a great 2nd line center).

He may actually be cheering - only way to get rid of some of the trash and fill are biggest hole is to fail for nail. Maybe we'll draft a guy with more skill and more importantly more fire!!!

Luckily, I couldn't see this game, so instead of being caught up on how bad the habs may have played again, i can see the big picture - we are dropping lower in the standing. IF i was was at home, i would have watched the game and been pisssed off, but luckily I'm traveling again for work and am stuck in Oakville and the only games on tv were a choice of Leafs-Pens or the Caps game. Watched a bit of the leafs game until they went up 3-1 and turned it off.

Nice to see on TSN afterwards that Malkin scored another shootout goal to beat the leafs and have the isles win, caps go to OT, would have been an all round perfect night if the sens beat the bruins!

I've never been one for tanking. I'd rather use the old Sam Pollack way of getting high draft picks - have a good year and still lock up high draft picks by great trading, but that ain't happening with the goat running the team.

I'm HOPING he will get make it worthwhile finishing low, by trading guys like Gill, Moen, Campoli, Weber/Diaz for high draft picks by creating an auction for our UFA's. I'll really be pissed, if he quietly trades Gill or Moen for 3rd round picks to a western team, becuase he doesn't want to deal in the conference. Hell, as much as I hate the bruins, I'd deal with them if they offered up a 1st for Moen.

Way to come out and completely lay an egg, boys...The Rocket is rolling in his grave...This version of the Montreal Canadiens are terrible...

I hope they don't win another game this season. Seriously.

well - i do want them to beat the leafs and the bruins. tanking is one thing (not that this team really has to try to tank it), but losing to the leafs/bruins just make me feel sick!

It would...but I really want the first overall pick...and for PG/BG to be flushed like the crap they are.

I'd give a third of the remaining games to Budaj and prospect tenders.

You got a group of people here that worship the groung PG/BG walk on,ignoring the fact about PG that we've gone fron ECF to 1st rd KO to 2 pts out of last,and we're worse off the ice than on

You got a group of people here that worship the groung PG/BG walk on,ignoring the fact about PG that we've gone fron ECF to 1st rd KO to 2 pts out of last,and we're worse off the ice than on

If by 'worshipping' you mean not automatically and mindlessly condemning every single decision he's made regardless of how reasonable it may have been, then you're right. I don't see too many energetic, unconditional defenders of PG around here however.

In all fairness Last year was HARDLY a 1st round KO..

It's generally our policy not to allow stream information to be posted here. Just so you know.

I know you aren't supposed to talk about streams here, and excuse me if this is in the wrong thread (admins could move it if neccessary) but I don't know of any other way besides streaming to watch games if you live outside North America and selected parts of Europe.

NHL Center Ice is only available in North America, and they don't seem to have any plans to extend in the near future (I emailed them and they were pretty dissinterested and gave me legal jargon about broadcast rights outside USA/Canada)

Anyways, not really promoting illegal streaming as most of the time it is pretty erratic but if anyone out there knows of legal ways to download or watch games (particularly habs of course) I would love to hear it.

We weren't knocked out in the 1st round ?What did i miss? We didn't get to the 2nd rd. I didn't say we got wiped out. We lost.Again

It's pretty sad when this bunch gets intimidated by the likes of Kaleta,Gaustad and the soft,gutless Buffalo Sabres. At least go down with some pride,or get some players that will.

This is exactly what Lafrous is talking about. Some would hint that we went to the Stanley Cup Finals in cognito because we were the only team to give the champion Bruins a run. Others would state reality and say we are a 1st round KO.

This is exactly what Lafrous is talking about. Some would hint that we went to the Stanley Cup Finals in cognito because we were the only team to give the champion Bruins a run. Others would state reality and say we are a 1st round KO.

I think the Lightning would take exception to your claim, what with their game 7, 1-0 loss in the third round.

The level of knowledge on this forum is deteriorating, and it makes me sad.

Good article today on Dan's Daily Dose which falls in our accepted readership. I not nearly as skeptlcal as Lafrous, but I feel his pain. We need to read the tea leaves honestly. Case in point-- Gomez is coming up on the anniversary of his last goal and fans here think he is a nice guy. What is that?

Good article today on Dan's Daily Dose which falls in our accepted readership. I not nearly as skeptlcal as Lafrous, but I feel his pain. We need to read the tea leaves honestly. Case in point-- Gomez is coming up on the anniversary of his last goal and fans here think he is a nice guy. What is that?

I think fans here accept that Gomez's value is low, that he is massively overpaid, and that he's not been productive enough for this team.

However his hockey playing ability and him being a "nice guy" have basically nothing to do with each other.

This is actually an important fault-line dividing Habs fans. Some people look at the results this season and conclude that this is the 'real' team - in effect, that we suck and have sucked all along, going back to 2009 when the team was first assembled. On this account, the Habs have a small number of decent pieces and the rest is total garbage and always has been total garbage. The usual conclusion is that we need a comprehensive rebuild (the 'tank' hypothesis).

Another group of fans point out that what was basically the same team went to the Semi-Finals in 2010, handily made the playoffs in 2011 and then gave the Bruins everything they could handle in Round One. The inference is that the core is fundamentally sound - a better team, on paper, than the one that enjoyed reasonable success last year, in fact - but that it's suffered through a season where everything possible has gone wrong. The conclusion is the opposite from that of the 'tank' mentality. Rather than argue that we should keep a few pieces and change almost everything else, the idea here is that we should keep most of what we've got and try to add a focused number of missing ingredients. Far from blowing it up, we need to make some targeted adjustments in the off-season: new GM and/or coach, get rid of Gomez and the impending UFAs, and above all add either Markov or a Markov replacement. We're kinda where Philly was in 2006-07.

Obviously I'm in the latter camp. It has been glaringly obvious to me that the fundamental problem with the 2011-12 Habs was the loss of Wiz coupled with markov's failure to heal. This crippled our PP, the one statistical category where the team under JM was not above average - but which affected everything else, costing us wins and creating a downward spiral. These problems were compounded by a childish player revolt that, thanks to Gauthier's stupidity, cost us both the coach AND the player leading the revolt.

So yeah, everything that could go wrong did go wrong. But we have a solid foundation of good youth and good vets, IF we keep a cool head and IF Markov can come back (or else, we can somehow replace what he brings especially on the PP). Start with a new GM and take it from there, but let's not allow a disastrous season to colour our analysis of both past and future.

• Upvote 1

I think fans here accept that Gomez's value is low, that he is massively overpaid, and that he's not been productive enough for this team.

However his hockey playing ability and him being a "nice guy" have basically nothing to do with each other.

I agree entirely, but if you read some of the posts there are still people here who would fall on their sword for him. What we are talking about is real honest hockey value and not some slirpy love fest. What we are talking about is habs fan overstating their case.

I agree entirely, but if you read some of the posts there are still people here who would fall on their sword for him. What we are talking about is real honest hockey value and not some slirpy love fest. What we are talking about is habs fan overstating their case.

Is there a single fan here who wants him back as a Hab next season? I haven't seen one. Maybe I'm wrong though.

What the **** are you talking about? This entire website agrees he stinks, and seemingly forgot how to play hockey. People seem to hope he at least finds his game, as his contract is tricky to move, or deal with.

This is actually an important fault-line dividing Habs fans. Some people look at the results this season and conclude that this is the 'real' team - in effect, that we suck and have sucked all along, going back to 2009 when the team was first assembled. On this account, the Habs have a small number of decent pieces and the rest is total garbage and always has been total garbage. The usual conclusion is that we need a comprehensive rebuild (the 'tank' hypothesis).

Another group of fans point out that what was basically the same team went to the Semi-Finals in 2010, handily made the playoffs in 2011 and then gave the Bruins everything they could handle in Round One. The inference is that the core is fundamentally sound - a better team, on paper, than the one that enjoyed reasonable success last year, in fact - but that it's suffered through a season where everything possible has gone wrong. The conclusion is the opposite from that of the 'tank' mentality. Rather than argue that we should keep a few pieces and change almost everything else, the idea here is that we should keep most of what we've got and try to add a focused number of missing ingredients. Far from blowing it up, we need to make some targeted adjustments in the off-season: new GM and/or coach, get rid of Gomez and the impending UFAs, and above all add either Markov or a Markov replacement. We're kinda where Philly was in 2006-07.

Obviously I'm in the latter camp. It has been glaringly obvious to me that the fundamental problem with the 2011-12 Habs was the loss of Wiz coupled with markov's failure to heal. This crippled our PP, the one statistical category where the team under JM was not above average - but which affected everything else, costing us wins and creating a downward spiral. These problems were compounded by a childish player revolt that, thanks to Gauthier's stupidity, cost us both the coach AND the player leading the revolt.

So yeah, everything that could go wrong did go wrong. But we have a solid foundation of good youth and good vets, IF we keep a cool head and IF Markov can come back (or else, we can somehow replace what he brings especially on the PP). Start with a new GM and take it from there, but let's not allow a disastrous season to colour our analysis of both past and future.

This is one of the bests posts I have read in a while really enjoyed it.

Well said. It seemed we clearly had an improved team over last year's and primarily , inaccurate medical diagnoses wiped us out.

Who knows, with Markov. .. a different team, a happy Cam, a successful powerplay and year.

I don't have anybody to fault on this. I don't need a victim.

I think the Lightning would take exception to your claim, what with their game 7, 1-0 loss in the third round.

The level of knowledge on this forum is deteriorating, and it makes me sad.

I think we are talking here about the preception of Habs fans here in regards to their finish last year. In regards to the knowledge on the forum, surely if you miss the gist of the response all the information in the world won't help you. Your sadness is self inflicted.