Trade Value of: Travis Moen

dlbalr

I'm not sure yet when the next of our ATB series is going up but it will be sometime in the upcoming week. Let's assume that Moen is healthy by the 27th, he should be as the plan was that he'll play next week.

Some thoughts to ponder...

- Should the Habs look to re-sign him?

- If yes, what should the term/money be?

- Should he be dealt just before the deadline (day before or on the 27th) or earlier?

- What teams do you think would be interested?

- What should he get in return?

- If the Habs had a choice between a pick or comparable prospect, which would you prefer?

I like what Travis Moen brings, but there are many similar players available July 1st, guys like Prust, Gaustad, Kostopolous, Asham, and you could even re-sign Moen himself.

I feel he's worth a 2nd round pick to a team that needs leadership, grit, and Penalty Killing.

For that reason, I trade him... and sign him or a replacement again on July 1st.

Value is there in a lost season and his role can be replaced.

Teams interested.... Vancouver, Chicago, San Jose, Detroit, Washington,

As for pick vs prospect..... I take the picks. Those extra 2nds will be the value we might need on draft day if it becomes necessary to trade up to ensure we get one of the centres.

I'm not sure yet when the next of our ATB series is going up but it will be sometime in the upcoming week. Let's assume that Moen is healthy by the 27th, he should be as the plan was that he'll play next week.

- Should he be dealt just before the deadline (day before or on the 27th) or earlier?

- If the Habs had a choice between a pick or comparable prospect, which would you prefer?

He has to be moved. IF the habs play their cards right and get a couple teams bidding against each other, he should bring i a 2nd. Remember a few years back when Atlanta strung along Gainey right down to the wire, when they moved hossa? That is the kind of maneuvering that is required by PG. Moen is no Hossa, but there will be a lot of interest by at least 4-5 teams. My worry again is PG making a quick move, without trying to drive his value up by pitting competing GM's against each other.

He has to be moved. IF the habs play their cards right and get a couple teams bidding against each other, he should bring i a 2nd. Remember a few years back when Atlanta strung along Gainey right down to the wire, when they moved hossa? That is the kind of maneuvering that is required by PG. Moen is no Hossa, but there will be a lot of interest by at least 4-5 teams. My worry again is PG making a quick move, without trying to drive his value up by pitting competing GM's against each other.

Problem with this scenario and a 3rd liner like Moen, is that he's not a Hossa.

Hossa was by far the prize forward of that deadline, and there was no possible plan B to him if you didn't get him.

You try to string people along on Moen, you are gonna get those GMs to say screw you, I'll trade for someone else's gritty third liner.

I try to get the best value possible, but Im only gonna go on for so long before I have to accept the second rounder and move on.

Problem with this scenario and a 3rd liner like Moen, is that he's not a Hossa.

Hossa was by far the prize forward of that deadline, and there was no possible plan B to him if you didn't get him.

You try to string people along on Moen, you are gonna get those GMs to say screw you, I'll trade for someone else's gritty third liner.

I try to get the best value possible, but Im only gonna go on for so long before I have to accept the second rounder and move on.

I agree that Moen isn't going to attact the same type of bidding war as a Hossa. But i do think PG needs to start contacting teams like SJ/Van/Chi/LA/Nashvile in the west and Pens/Rangers/Devils/Sens/Caps in the East to see their level of interest and should at least be able to pit some teams against each other before pulling the trigger.

By packaging him with a Gill for Chicago, or a Weber with LA, who knows, you may get a 1st rounder.

I agree that Moen isn't going to attact the same type of bidding war as a Hossa. But i do think PG needs to start contacting teams like SJ/Van/Chi/LA/Nashvile in the west and Pens/Rangers/Devils/Sens/Caps in the East to see their level of interest and should at least be able to pit some teams against each other before pulling the trigger.

By packaging him with a Gill for Chicago, or a Weber with LA, who knows, you may get a 1st rounder.

i agree with that.... and the thing is I think its happening... PG is rumored to be talking all the time, and scouts are at Habs games all the time, so talks are happening.

Other teams see our place in the standings and are calling us too.

Again this belief he won't shop a guy is flawed... We have Bob McKenzie saying that there were 4 other offers on the table for Halak, but we ignore that and think PG didnt create a bidding war.

I just think the amount of a bidding war Moen can create is limited by the fact he is good at what he does, but not irreplaceable either.

I think Moen is more than just a gritty 3rd liner that team will walk away from if there is a bidding war. He has a Stanely Cup, which is a big plus for any team looking at a player of his type. He's shown this year he can put pucks in the net the gritty way, which is needed for any 3rd liner on a cup contender. He's shown he's capable of being a strong shutdown guy, which is what you want from his roll.

He's not a Hossa, but he'll probably be one of the top players, if not the top player at his role on the market. I don't think a 2nd round pick is much of a stretch for him. If we don't get a pick, we should at least get a center prospect with some size. Packaged with Gill to the right team, the return should be pretty good, a first round pick or a top prospect.

I'm hoping we can package him and a cruicial young player ie Subban, Kostitsyn, Tinordi for another bad contract. Think about...this team is largely irrelevant, and the best way to get back in the spotlight is to take ALL the bad contracts.

Moen

Kostitsyn

Tinordi

For

Jeff Carter

After that, we should immediately make some waves by acquiring...

Wisniewski

Sean Avery

Vinny Lecavalier/Danny Briere

And to put the icing on the cake...

Carey Price

for

Rick Dipietro

PA Parentau

This team is bad...why stop? These guys can be r-e-a-l-l-y bad!

Seriously...I think Moen should get a third rounder from San Jose/Vancouver. I think he's worth more than that, but other than the Wiz trade, where PG apparently had a pic of Garth Snow and donkey, we haven't had more than an average return on a trade. I think Gill will go for a second rounder, because of his playoff history/leadership. Kosty will sign a three year deal for 9.5 million, and Weber/Campoli are worthless. That's my final bit about the deadline. At this time I hope there are no surprises. They won't be pleasant.

Vancouver 2nd rounder

He better get healthy then.That's the ceiling

I think Moen is more than just a gritty 3rd liner that team will walk away from if there is a bidding war. He has a Stanely Cup, which is a big plus for any team looking at a player of his type. He's shown this year he can put pucks in the net the gritty way, which is needed for any 3rd liner on a cup contender. He's shown he's capable of being a strong shutdown guy, which is what you want from his roll.

He's not a Hossa, but he'll probably be one of the top players, if not the top player at his role on the market. I don't think a 2nd round pick is much of a stretch for him. If we don't get a pick, we should at least get a center prospect with some size. Packaged with Gill to the right team, the return should be pretty good, a first round pick or a top prospect.

Is a guy with a career high 21 pts a 3rd liner? I'm thinking excellent 4th liner who has been asked to play top 9 minutes

Why would Kostitsyn take less money than what he is making right now?

Because people misquoted what he said in an interview. He said he would take a pay cut to what he would expect in a new contract and people took it as a pay cut to what he makes now.

And Moen is unquestionably a third liner. Hab observers seem to love underestimating a guy who isn't even 30 years old and was an important cog in the Ducks winning the Cup. If you look at points for whether a guy is a bottom six player you've already lost sight of what makes a bottom line player.

Because people misquoted what he said in an interview. He said he would take a pay cut to what he would expect in a new contract and people took it as a pay cut to what he makes now.

Exactly

He said he'd take less than his market value to re-sign.

He never said, what he thinks his UFA market value is; or how much less than that UFA market value he's willing to take.

There is no doubt though that his UFA market value is considerably higher than 3.25 million based on what guys with similar stats to his got last year.

Wow...people think Moen is worth a 2nd round pick? I shouldn't be stunned by that but wow...

Wow...people think Moen is worth a 2nd round pick? I shouldn't be stunned by that but wow...

Dominic Moore, Eric Belanger, worth 2nds.

Brad Winchester (worse than Moen) was worth a 3rd

Max Lapierre worth a 3rd plus a prospect

You have to understand that there's no such thing as a player being worth x.

When you consider the trade deadline, and a team having a need, and having to compete with other teams for that need since their goal is the Stanley Cup, there will be an inflation of value.

Travis Moen is a bottom six player under the age of 30 who is a tough guy to play against and is exceptionally smart in shutting a player down, reversing a line momentum or playing the corners. He's one of the highest valued bottom six forwards in the NHL, especially after being a pivotal reason in the Ducks Stanley Cup win only a few seasons ago. Again, he's not even 30 years old.

Teams like the Sharks and Blackhawks can see long-term value in acquiring him, especially for his PK abilities. These are teams that desperately need a guy like Moen and if Gauthier doesn't make them pay for it, he'll just be exercising his uselessness.

And Moen is unquestionably a third liner. Hab observers seem to love underestimating a guy who isn't even 30 years old and was an important cog in the Ducks winning the Cup. If you look at points for whether a guy is a bottom six player you've already lost sight of what makes a bottom line player.

90% of Habfans,don't underestimate our players. Actually quite the opposite. I've never seen a fanbase in the 4 major sports,overestimate them as much,especially prospects.

When you consider the trade deadline, and a team having a need, and having to compete with other teams for that need since their goal is the Stanley Cup, there will be an inflation of value.

Travis Moen is a bottom six player under the age of 30 who is a tough guy to play against and is exceptionally smart in shutting a player down, reversing a line momentum or playing the corners. He's one of the highest valued bottom six forwards in the NHL, especially after being a pivotal reason in the Ducks Stanley Cup win only a few seasons ago. Again, he's not even 30 years old.

Teams like the Sharks and Blackhawks can see long-term value in acquiring him, especially for his PK abilities. These are teams that desperately need a guy like Moen and if Gauthier doesn't make them pay for it, he'll just be exercising his uselessness.

Who says he's one of the highest valued bottom six forwards? His value is ultimately what someone is willing to pay...so we'll see.

However, let's be real...there are lots of 3rd and 4th line guys that are similar to Moen and get made available.

Commandant compared him to a few guys just before you...I believe, at the times of those deals, Belanger and Moore were worth more.

Sure some team might overpay if a few teams want Moen and other teams don't make similar players available...but I believe guys like Moen are often available every year. I could see a third rounder as a stretch...but he's probably valued as a fourth or fifth rounder in a normal market. JMHO. I would deal him for a third in a heartbeat...and I'd prefer we keep him if the best you can get is a fifth...

90% of Habfans,don't underestimate our players. Actually quite the opposite. I've never seen a fanbase in the 4 major sports,overestimate them as much,especially prospects.

Every teams fans do this...especially with the lunch box "workmanlike" players...Hab fans are no different.

My feel is that a secound rounder is likely wha we can get for him but recently Gauthier seems to be more icnlined to trade for players who can have a quicker impact than a draft choice. So although we can liklekly get a secound I can see gauthier trying to acquire a mid-level propsect in return.

Given his pro-scouting abilities however I hope that he goes with a draft choice.

keep in mind there are many similar options to Moen out there,so it's something the GM will have to shop hard,and for once look for the best offer,no matter who it is.Even if it's the Leafs or Bruins.

`

if he would take a good salary, i would resign in a second, $6 for 3 years

i would say right at deadline

Leafs/St Louis/Canucks/Sens/Pitts/Detroit

2nd rounder or late pick and prospect.

if the prospect is like Holland, i would want a centre prospect.

I would give away Moan for nothing, if that team would take Gomez as well.

`

if he would take a good salary, i would resign in a second, $6 for 3 years

i would say right at deadline

Leafs/St Louis/Canucks/Sens/Pitts/Detroit

2nd rounder or late pick and prospect.

if the prospect is like Holland, i would want a centre prospect.

I would give away Moan for nothing, if that team would take Gomez as well.

Thats something to keep in mind about resigning him. If we are trading him for a 3rd, dont. he is more valuable to us next season in the bottom 6. Trading away Moen will mean we will have to sign someone new in the offseason again eliminating any sort of chemistry in the bottom six (which i think has been a problem with our bottom six revolving door policy...)

Speaking of bottom 6 Anthony Stewart is on waivers today. He's a guy I've always wanted on this team. A big tough local kid who can be used either as a defensive forward on the 3rd line or as a 4th liner. He has 13 points, is a plus player and making just $900k per season with 1 year left.

This is the type of 4th liner I want to start building our team with.

Speaking of bottom 6 Anthony Stewart is on waivers today. He's a guy I've always wanted on this team. A big tough local kid who can be used either as a defensive forward on the 3rd line or as a 4th liner. He has 13 points, is a plus player and making just $900k per season with 1 year left.

This is the type of 4th liner I want to start building our team with.

Do it now. Along with White,it's a great 2/3 of a 4th line for next year,keeping Blunden and Darche in Hamilton in case of injuries.If we sign him,I pledge not to knock PG/BG for a week