Trade Value of: Travis Moen

dlbalr

There will be other guys available in the summer too. Some will re-sign but with this length of list not all.

Moen

Prust

Asham

Kostopolous

Gaustad

Carcillo

Tootoo

Thornton

Campbell

Jackman

Taylor Pyatt,

just a sampling.

Thats why I changed my view here, I was originally for re-signing him, but now I think you have to take the asset and go after him or a replacement July 1st.

i was just thinking he may be very hard to replace his quality for a decent price, but i am with you, that this is the year to grab all extra picks they can for UFAs and spare parts, for this or next years draft.

That would be such a great plan to talk over with Moen haha

Moen, would you like a shot at a cup with Vancouver? We are rebuilding and would love to have you next year, but we don't want to get in the way of your chance to grab a ring. We can talk in the summer if you like.

• Upvote 1

sounds good, but haas it ever happened that a team, traded a UFA and then resigned the same player in summer?

Keith Tkachuk, and Doug Weight did it with the Blues.

Olli Jokinen did it with the Flames.

There have been a few others.

• Upvote 1

Keith Tkachuk, and Doug Weight did it with the Blues.

Olli Jokinen did it with the Flames.

There have been a few others.

i stand corrected and did not know that it actually has been done a couple times before. but still highly unlikely to ever happen with a Kostitsyn or Moan eh?

Screw it and just take the picks and/or prospects.

But i still like Moan better than all on your list, i know it is just a sample of what may be available and White/Blunden and maybe even Ian Shultz (who looked better than expected in outdoor game) may be able to fill the role anyways at a cheap price.?

i stand corrected and did not know that it actually has been done a couple times before. but still highly unlikely to ever happen with a Kostitsyn or Moan eh?

Screw it and just take the picks and/or prospects.

But i still like Moan better than all on your list, i know it is just a sample of what may be available and White/Blunden and maybe even Ian Shultz (who looked better than expected in outdoor game) may be able to fill the role anyways at a cheap price.?

Moen is better than much of the list, but they are all similar.

The one guy I really love though (and he's married to a girl from Montreal) is Brandon Prust. I'd even go so far to say he's an upgrade on Moen, he'd be my guy.

Also the other guy is Paul Gaustad, who may not be as tough as moen, but he's outstanding on faceoffs, especially on the PK, and could really take some of the pressure off of Tomas Plekanec in these roles.

Moen is better than much of the list, but they are all similar.

The one guy I really love though (and he's married to a girl from Montreal) is Brandon Prust. I'd even go so far to say he's an upgrade on Moen, he'd be my guy.

Also the other guy is Paul Gaustad, who may not be as tough as moen, but he's outstanding on faceoffs, especially on the PK, and could really take some of the pressure off of Tomas Plekanec in these roles.

Asham is my favorite of that group. Prust and Gaustad are very close as well. Gaustad is a pretty good defensive player if I remember right, so he would be very helpful. All three are very good middle weight fighters.

But won't Moen command a decent salary come July 1? I like the guy, but his excellence this season represents his absolute ceiling and his game will only decline relative to this. I have a feeling if we sign him for whatever he'll command on the UFA market, by November people will be bitching about his overpaid contract and that we could get the same performance much more cheaply.

Despite my annoyance at the way Gauthier allows bottom-6ers to waltz away and then has to scramble every season to assemble a plausible fourth line, this might be an instance when you let him go, with thanks for three good years, and move on.

But won't Moen command a decent salary come July 1? I like the guy, but his excellence this season represents his absolute ceiling and his game will only decline relative to this. I have a feeling if we sign him for whatever he'll command on the UFA market, by November people will be bitching about his overpaid contract and that we could get the same performance much more cheaply.

Despite my annoyance at the way Gauthier allows bottom-6ers to waltz away and then has to scramble every season to assemble a plausible fourth line, this might be an instance when you let him go, with thanks for three good years, and move on.

If he wants too much money, move on to one of the other options. There are lots.

If he wants too much money, move on to one of the other options. There are lots.

Am i naive to think that Gauthier and UFA agents would discuss what a player would need to resign, well before the trade deadline? As Carolina seems to have done with a couple of their players and most recently with Teemu Ruutu.

So if, as most seem to think, you would need to overpay for Moan or his agent will ask for a crazy number, then the only consideration is to find out which team will offer the most before the 27th eh?

Am i naive to think that Gauthier and UFA agents would discuss what a player would need to resign, well before the trade deadline? As Carolina seems to have done with a couple of their players and most recently with Teemu Ruutu.

So if, as most seem to think, you would need to overpay for Moan or his agent will ask for a crazy number, then the only consideration is to find out which team will offer the most before the 27th eh?

Considering we re-signed Josh Gorges a few weeks ago, I think this has probably happened with any player they have an intention of keeping.

I couldn't agrre more, This year has been his ceiling. look at the stats,and also the eye test of his time here.I also thought he performed really well in the playoffs.And I think he's an excellent 4th liner. People really underestimate the impact of a good 4th line that can play 10 quality,energetic minutes a game.They rest the scorers,help keep the other teams goons in line(especially with all our non-fighting youth) and at the same time wear down their defense with solid hitting.It's been one of my biggest criticisms of this regime. It's a cheap,easy thing to do and PG/BG have failed at that most simple task.

I plan to sit down tonight and assemble the article for anyone wondering. I'll add one more note for discussion, if you were going to re-sign Moen, what would your term limit be? Would you only go a year or two or would you be comfortable guaranteeing him another three?

I plan to sit down tonight and assemble the article for anyone wondering. I'll add one more note for discussion, if you were going to re-sign Moen, what would your term limit be? Would you only go a year or two or would you be comfortable guaranteeing him another three?

I actually am not opposed to signing Moen if he doesn't demand to much of a higher contract based off this years performance, I would go for a two year deal personally, adding a third year if he signed cheaper wouldn't be a problem. Montreal hasn't shown commitment to their bottom 6 guys in a long time. Looking at teams like Detroit or Pittsburgh who tends to keep third liners and energy guys and they remain competitive because of their chemistry they have developed. Look at how Chicago fared after they had to rebuild their bottom six because of cap issues. A good bottom six that plays well together is a very important part of a team, veteran loyal guys in those roles help model a style of play for the squad. I like Moen and what he brings and think if we want to remain competitive maybe we should consider singing him, he in no way has been contributing to Montreal having a bad year, maybe we should reward him for this.

He is not even quite 30 and at his current salary i would resign in a second, but he would likely ask for $6/3 years (which is fair, but max for bottom 6 guy) at least and as Commandant has posted, there likely are many options to replace him if he wants more $.

But, as i have noted before, he kills penalties, never takes a bad one himself, has a small bit of scoring touch, can skate well, hits a small bit and while he dosent fight often he stands up for teammates every time, so i would resign for a 3 year deal for sure, but i would trade in a sec if offered a good enough deal (such as a forward prospect and a pick)

I say we keep moen he is what we need more of. If the price is right sign him for three yrs he is big and hits, skates well and a team player as in will stand up for his teammates. if he played last night brown would have got it!!!! I say 3yrs 6mill no more then that but if we get blown away by an offer bye bye the list is long for replacements. This team could use two more meon's.

I say we keep moen he is what we need more of. If the price is right sign him for three yrs he is big and hits, skates well and a team player as in will stand up for his teammates. if he played last night brown would have got it!!!! I say 3yrs 6mill no more then that but if we get blown away by an offer bye bye the list is long for replacements. This team could use two more meon's.

i agree with keeping him and might be hard to replace, but if White is what we hope he can be ( a bottom 6 centre/winger who can kill penalties along with Engqvist) and Blunden keeps improving and if Shultz ever got in shape and was able to play 7-8minutes/game on 4th line, maybe just take a 3rd or 2nd pick/ best offer and move on?

I guess in short; i am on the fence; much as i am with Kostitsyn as well. As long as neither 32 nor 46 walk away for nothing on July 1st!

With what Gill just brought back, it's easy to be excited about what Moen can notch now.

People should have been excited the moment Moore was traded for a second. That said, I don't believe Moore would have fetched a 2nd at the deadline unless someone was desperate for a third line playoff performer then. It was the "early deadline desperation" that created both the Gill and Moore deals and it's nice to benefit from it. I don't think Gauthier would have got more at the deadline for Gill unless he added more.

Returns for player will be higher now because there's no take it or leave it mentality from the buyer. If you want someone right now, a little more than a week from the deadline, you need to make good offers or the player won't be available at deadline day to back the seller in a corner.

Returns for player will be higher now because there's no take it or leave it mentality from the buyer. If you want someone right now, a little more than a week from the deadline, you need to make good offers or the player won't be available at deadline day to back the seller in a corner.

Get what you can for moen. he doesn't seem to be the type that wants to come back,after this years circus,so get what you can so you don't lose him for nothing