Jets vs Habs, Feb. 5, 2:00 PM

dlbalr

Another quick one as I don't have the time to do a fancy one today...

Winnipeg:

Ladd-Little-Wheeler

Fehr-Antropov-Wellwood

Glass-Slater-Thorburn

Miettinen-Burmistrov-Gagnon

Enstrom-Byfuglien

Hainsey-Bogosian

Stuart-Oduya

Pavelec

Montreal:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole

Bourque-Plekanec-Kostitsyn

Darche-Gomez-Eller

Leblanc-Palushaj

Gorges-Subban

Kaberle-Emelin

Gill-Diaz

Campoli

Price

Puck drop is at 2:00 on RDS and CBC.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Nokeleinen still hurt? I hate the stupid 7 defenseman in the line up.

They are clueliss out there, hopefully the Jets come out flying and the habs play their usual Super bowl sunday game.

It's a sad day when i want the habs to keep losing.

They are clueliss out there, hopefully the Jets come out flying and the habs play their usual Super bowl sunday game.

Nokie is another AHL at best calibre player that shouldn't even be on this roster. Another great PG move

Blunden

Darche

Nokie

Campoli

Weber

Gomez

Kaberle

Diaz

Palushaj(AHL)

What an awful team these two clowns have put together

Well flying out to Toronto in 10 min, so will miss the game. Hopefully by the time I land we will distance ourselves more from the canes.

it's turning pretty apathetic. When I watch i want them to win,but really don't care if they don't. When I don't watch,I almost hope they lose. The main reason is so Molson grows a set and fires BG and PG. He gave PG an extension in the off-season,so my fear is that we are a late season surge from seeing this regime return.

There will be no late-season surge. These guys have given up. They gave up once JM was fired and Cunney was stupidly declared a temporary hire, it seems to me. I think the odds favour a PG firing at the end of the season, but there's no point in rushing. Wait for the whole sad tale to unfold, then launch a comprehensive search.

The search should start and end with Nill.

There will be no late-season surge. These guys have given up. They gave up once JM was fired and Cunney was stupidly declared a temporary hire, it seems to me. I think the odds favour a PG firing at the end of the season, but there's no point in rushing. Wait for the whole sad tale to unfold, then launch a comprehensive search.

Would Nill take the job? Knowing the coach he hires has to speak some French. I ask this not to spark up that debate. I've decided life is easier accepting that we're not blowing the team up for a complete rebuild, and the next coach, and probably GM will speak French.

Would Nill take the job? Knowing the coach he hires has to speak some French. I ask this not to spark up that debate. I've decided life is easier accepting that we're not blowing the team up for a complete rebuild, and the next coach, and probably GM will speak French.

I've seen sources that have said that Jim Nill speaks french fluently.

The most important factor in getting Nill is that Detroit lets him go and he wants the job. I bet he wants the job, but it's really about where Holland is. If Holland is happy where he is, Detroit will let Nill go for an interview. If Holland might be thinking of no longer GMing, they'll keep Nill and consider him for Holland's job. Hard to say.

Nokie is another AHL at best calibre player that shouldn't even be on this roster. Another great PG move

Blunden

Weber

Diaz

What an awful team these two clowns have put together

So the Habs would've been better off keeping Ryan Russell instead of getting Blunden? That was a win, albeit a small one. Yannick Weber was a 3rd round pick, he has been worth where he was selected. Diaz has been a solid rookie and cost absolutely nothing to acquire. How on earth is picking up an NHL d-man for nothing an awful move? Heck, I removed him from the list but a 7th round pick for Nokelainen can't be construed as terrible either. That one's just meh, although the odds of the 7th rounder outperforming him are slim, as mediocre as Nokelainen has been.

Yes, this management team has made some bad decisions, that quality isn't limited to just Montreal though, every GM makes mistakes.

Like I said. A new GM is going go have to hire a French speaking coach. Like it or not. Would someone with Nill's resume want a job with that condition?

Call me silly but at this point, no matter who the GM is, they'll be expected to pick Patrick Roy as the new head coach. Maybe that might turn off a guy like Jim Nill that he doesn't get to choose his coach but Nill might like that, having a coach with GM experience in the juniors. He'd probably relate to him better.

Call me silly but at this point, no matter who the GM is, they'll be expected to pick Patrick Roy as the new head coach. Maybe that might turn off a guy like Jim Nill that he doesn't get to choose his coach but Nill might like that, having a coach with GM experience in the juniors. He'd probably relate to him better.

I see you working, and I like that suggestion!

I'm not sure who is doing this 'expecting.' Media? Fans? Why should their ignorant whims be taken as gospel?

I agree that Nill is a no-brainer especially if he speaks French. But if I'm Nill, I don't hire Patrick Roy, a person widely perceived as unlikely to accept being a subordinate and who would therefore be a GM-in-waiting. It's one thing to say Nill has to hire someone who is either bilingual or commits to becoming bilingual very soon as a condition of employment (an option far too often overlooked in this discussion). It's another to say he is 'expected' to hire a guy who will rapidly become the media/fan hero regardless of on-ice results, such that anything bad that happens will be blamed on the GM, with endless, baying calls for Roy to become GM sure to follow. That'd be a no-win situation analogous to the one JM was put in this season.

It boils down to whether Molson is a serious owner. If he is serious, he will hire the best GM possible and then allow that GM to make any decisions he feels necessary, regardless of fan and media 'expectation.' Amidst all the losing, it's so easy to forget the one cardinal truth that counts above all others - namely, if you WIN, the majority of fans/media will love you no matter what.

Roy works in every possible situation we'd need.

1. He's ready to take an NHL position

2. He has a great track record with his players

3. He's a great pick to lift up the spirits of Canadiens fans

4. Wait no, I'm calling this the number one reason: Roy hates to lose

Of course Roy is going to want more power, blah blah blah. But Roy is not going to burn himself either by immediately arguing with everything the new GM does because he wants his job. If the new GM is SCREWING UP his job, oh yes Roy will be vocal. That said, I think a smart GM would treat Roy like an assistant GM due to his background and take his suggestions on picking up players right for the team instead of treating it like, "I find the guy, you make it work,"

I'm all for Roy as the next head coach and I think a majority of fans would be happy with it. The only people who would be reserved are those who feel we're not choosing the best head coach on the market (and who is? Even if a guy like Lindy Ruff became available, is he leaving Buffalo? Doubt it) or people who still hold a silly grudge from 1995.

Roy works in every possible situation we'd need.

1. He's ready to take an NHL position

2. He has a great track record with his players

3. He's a great pick to lift up the spirits of Canadiens fans

4. Wait no, I'm calling this the number one reason: Roy hates to lose

Of course Roy is going to want more power, blah blah blah. But Roy is not going to burn himself either by immediately arguing with everything the new GM does because he wants his job. If the new GM is SCREWING UP his job, oh yes Roy will be vocal. That said, I think a smart GM would treat Roy like an assistant GM due to his background and take his suggestions on picking up players right for the team instead of treating it like, "I find the guy, you make it work,"

I'm all for Roy as the next head coach and I think a majority of fans would be happy with it. The only people who would be reserved are those who feel we're not choosing the best head coach on the market (and who is? Even if a guy like Lindy Ruff became available, is he leaving Buffalo? Doubt it) or people who still hold a silly grudge from 1995.

What I'm saying is that if you want Roy for coach, then you want him for GM as well. It's the latter issue that troubles me.

I've said before I'd be willing to let Roy GM this team and see what happens, but he is far from self-evidently the best candidate available for THAT job.

step one.. get the draft pick we need.

Then I will worry about the coach. If I was to do anything, I would dump PG ASAP and get a GM you can trust to lead this team through the selling at the deadline, the draft, the resigning of key personnel, and the FA market.

RC can coach for now.