Habs vs Islanders, Feb. 9, 7 PM

dlbalr

I'm probably exaggerating, but Gretzky probably scored 40-50 goals into an empty net- at least it seems that way.

Not one player in history wouldn't shoot the puck in the EN,unless they passed to a teammate to do it. "Classy" left this organization (and most others) a looong time ago

Damn... ( sorry.. they better ease up soon.. I want my draft pick)

I think everyone better get used to this. The Habs won't tank and they will not be a lottery team. They are simply too good, and are actually getting healthy for the first time all bloody season. White and Markov will be back soon :hyper:

Also, PG would be smart to keep Moen, rather than trade for some 2nd or 3rd round draft pick who may or may never play in the NHL many years from now. It will be hard to maintain an elite PK in seasons to come lacking both Moen and Gill.

I'm probably exaggerating, but Gretzky probably scored 40-50 goals into an empty net- at least it seems that way.

Gretzky scored 55.

The idea you are supposed to be classy and not score on an empty net is silly to me. Scoring on an empty net is unclassy but pulling the goalie to put an extra skater isn't? Hockey "class" is ridiculous. The only thing that should separate class from trash is intent to injure.

• Upvote 1

I think everyone better get used to this. The Habs won't tank and they will not be a lottery team. They are simply too good, and are actually getting healthy for the first time all bloody season. White and Markov will be back soon :hyper:

Also, PG would be smart to keep Moen, rather than trade for some 2nd or 3rd round draft pick who may or may never play in the NHL many years from now. It will be hard to maintain an elite PK in seasons to come lacking both Moen and Gill.

I think you are overly optomistic here. The team has shown no consistency this season, and I don't think a small winning streak changes that.

They've looked great at times (Detroit) and then looked downright awful the very next game.

I don't see that changing now.

I still think that this is the team to sell your UFAs, especially the guys that are replaceable in the summer. Grab all the draft picks you can the team needs them to continue to build. We have some nice youth, but there are still a lot of holes (top line C, 2 defencemen). With their being so many buyers and so few sellers the prices at this deadline are reportedly through the roof.

We're nine points out of a playoff spot, with 27 games to go. Its damn near impossible to make the playoffs... so sell, sell, sell.

lafrous, why don't you find another team to cheer for because clearly you aren't cheering for this one. You suck! :rastapop::thumbs_down:

My worse fear may come true. I believe we have almost a zero chance of making the playoffs, so the worse thing is to ruin our draft position AND keep assets for a run.

If you are not going to make the playoffs, then make the best of it and get a jump on improving the team. For sure this means selling your UFA assets for picks and prospects. This is not tanking, this is simply acknowledging that we are a seller. The second part is getting a good draft position. Now this can smell a bit as you don't want players trying to fail. That said, I hope the sell off and our natural suckishness will result in getting that top 3 pick.

Some people think this means I am not a fan. On the contrary, I am a huge fan with a long term vision. Its the difference between a CEO running a company quarter by quarter, vs a CEO with a 5 year vision to take the company to great places.

My worse fear may come true. I believe we have almost a zero chance of making the playoffs, so the worse thing is to ruin our draft position AND keep assets for a run.

If you are not going to make the playoffs, then make the best of it and get a jump on improving the team. For sure this means selling your UFA assets for picks and prospects. This is not tanking, this is simply acknowledging that we are a seller. The second part is getting a good draft position. Now this can smell a bit as you don't want players trying to fail. That said, I hope the sell off and our natural suckishness will result in getting that top 3 pick.

Some people think this means I am not a fan. On the contrary, I am a huge fan with a long term vision. Its the difference between a CEO running a company quarter by quarter, vs a CEO with a 5 year vision to take the company to great places.

That post hits the nail right on the head.

I think everyone better get used to this. The Habs won't tank and they will not be a lottery team. They are simply too good, and are actually getting healthy for the first time all bloody season. White and Markov will be back soon :hyper: Also, PG would be smart to keep Moen, rather than trade for some 2nd or 3rd round draft pick who may or may never play in the NHL many years from now. It will be hard to maintain an elite PK in seasons to come lacking both Moen and Gill.

If I wanted at team that tanked I'd not watch Les Glorieux. There is nothing glorious about hockey for accountants and throwing a fight for the mob, even if its a mob of fans, is still dishonourable even if there's a good payoff or for a draft beer.

Go Habs Go! So good to see you finally overcoming your great challenges this year. I hope you can pull off a near miracle with your new spirit and Gomer scoring more goals yesterday than he has all year.

He' s a great guy and I really like him.

:clap:

I still say that we are/were always longshots to land one of the top-2 picks. This being so, tanking brings only marginal gains, since you're basically just as likely to bag a top player with a 10th overall pick as you are with a 4th or 5th. Beyond that, I just cannot bring myself to cheer for the Habs to lose. I'm with TorontoHab on that - it goes against every fibre of my being.

Commandant is right to be suspicious that these guys can go on a tear, but I dunno. This little winning streak just feels different. The players seem looser, more relaxed, confident. Given that this team was always WAY better than its results show, I wouldn't rule out an extended hot stretch. In no way am I saying they have a chance to make the playoffs, though.

The real danger of a late-season surge is that it will prevent the house-cleaning that needs to occur at the management level.

Finally: happy for Gomer. The best case scenario is that he now goes on a tear and re-establishes that he can be an asset to a team. That would be a gigantic help in terms of moving him.

I still say that we are/were always longshots to land one of the top-2 picks. This being so, tanking brings only marginal gains, since you're basically just as likely to bag a top player with a 10th overall pick as you are with a 4th or 5th. Beyond that, I just cannot bring myself to cheer for the Habs to lose. I'm with TorontoHab on that - it goes against every fibre of my being.

Commandant is right to be suspicious that these guys can go on a tear, but I dunno. This little winning streak just feels different. The players seem looser, more relaxed, confident. Given that this team was always WAY better than its results show, I wouldn't rule out an extended hot stretch. In no way am I saying they have a chance to make the playoffs, though.

The real danger of a late-season surge is that it will prevent the house-cleaning that needs to occur at the management level.

Finally: happy for Gomer. The best case scenario is that he now goes on a tear and re-establishes that he can be an asset to a team. That would be a gigantic help in terms of moving him.

Gomer is an asset because he got a goal this year? Right. Plant this post come spring, in somebodies garden.

Gomer is an asset because he got a goal this year? Right. Plant this post come spring, in somebodies garden.

:rolleyes: No. What I said was: "The best case scenario is that he now goes on a tear and re-establishes that he can be an asset to a team. That would be a gigantic help in terms of moving him." I don't know how this became "Gomer is an asset because he got a goal this year."

Don't get me wrong, with a couple changes and a fresh start I believe this team can be a playoff team in 2013.

I just don't see the horses necessary to play the hockey necessary to make them this year.

With the hole they've dug, it would take playing nearly 800 hockey the rest of the way, and I don't see this team doing that for 27 games. Every loss is a nail in the coffin.

For that reason, I'd rather sell our assets now.

I firmly believe that NHL players have too much ego and pride to tell them to intentionally lose, it will never happen. That's not what tanking means.

But the team needs to be stripped of assets like Moen, Gill, etc and the roster should be full of kids like Palushaj who needs an audition for next year with his waiver exemption expiring.

:rolleyes: No. What I said was: "The best case scenario is that he now goes on a tear and re-establishes that he can be an asset to a team. That would be a gigantic help in terms of moving him." I don't know how this became "Gomer is an asset because he got a goal this year."

Sorry I misread quote. The best case scenerio would be to dispose of him immediately. It would be helpful however if he were staying to up his goal scoring frequency. When you refer to re-establishing himself as an asset you must be thinking about him in New Jersey.

We can live without the personal shots at other posters, thank you.

Yes, and I think we can all live without lafrous' over the top negativity, myopic posts and reductionist logic.

Yes, and I think we can all live without lafrous' over the top negativity, myopic posts and reductionist logic.

Without trying to start another war here, having a strongly negative or positive opinion is one thing. You can always choose to ignore a user if you want. What won't be tolerated are any personal statements against other posters. That's been consistent all along so I will once again encourage you to keep comments about the posters themselves off the public boards. If you or anyone else have any concerns about a poster, please feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss it there.

Don't get me wrong, with a couple changes and a fresh start I believe this team can be a playoff team in 2013.

I just don't see the horses necessary to play the hockey necessary to make them this year.

With the hole they've dug, it would take playing nearly 800 hockey the rest of the way, and I don't see this team doing that for 27 games. Every loss is a nail in the coffin.

For that reason, I'd rather sell our assets now.

I firmly believe that NHL players have too much ego and pride to tell them to intentionally lose, it will never happen. That's not what tanking means.

But the team needs to be stripped of assets like Moen, Gill, etc and the roster should be full of kids like Palushaj who needs an audition for next year with his waiver exemption expiring.

I agree that players pride won't let them tank and that trading away some of our assets will help the team and give youth a chance to reach potential or reveal it...

I don't think saying "with a few changes the team can be a playoff team in 2013" is accurate. I think with a few changes we can be a contender. Not only for the playoffs but for a top spot in the west. I think our team is on the verge of becoming a very strong team, it just needs a few pieces filled into the roster to make it so.

I agree that players pride won't let them tank and that trading away some of our assets will help the team and give youth a chance to reach potential or reveal it...

I don't think saying "with a few changes the team can be a playoff team in 2013" is accurate. I think with a few changes we can be a contender. Not only for the playoffs but for a top spot in the west. I think our team is on the verge of becoming a very strong team, it just needs a few pieces filled into the roster to make it so.

No players ever tank for a draft pick,as to be a pro a big majority have too much pride. The tanking comes from management and coaching.

No players ever tank for a draft pick,as to be a pro a big majority have too much pride. The tanking comes from management and coaching.

Agree and management and coaching can sway towards tanking but letting the kids have more ice and give them chances to have fun and make mistakes. Sometimes magic will happen but more often than not theyu will make mistakes that result in turnovers and goals for the other team but no better time to learn than now at the NHL level against teams dyuing for every point.

I agree. Which is why I want as high a pick as possible, because that high pick will hopefully fill the Centre position we've needed for years and have been unable to acquire despite numerous efforts. This team has a young franchise goalie, a defenceman who is developping into a franchise Dman and a bunch of other nice young pieces there, a very good base of young forwards and prospects, but it lacks the franchise defining/game changing forward. Thats the guy I hope to find with a top pick.