Hurricanes vs Habs, Feb. 13, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

Another stake thru the heart loss. We HAVE TO own the Sens and Leafs in regulation which is why the 5-0 win was crucial. If we had lost the to the Leafers would be impossible to catch. Not now but margin for error is low - looking at the standings it seems the only way we have a chance. We have only 1 game left against New Jersey & I doubt they collapse.

Regardless of what winning streak they may be on - a loss to the Canes canèt be allowed to happen. The window is closing more all the time. Hopefully the mettle of the Habs we have seen recently continues.

What is funny is the Habs say they are not sellers yet, but they are two points ahead of Carolina, who are sellers. PG needs to wake the hell up. He is a seller. Start working on the plan to make this a better team NEXT year.

615d00b3ac59f523452bbe056824fd10.jpg

We have a half price sale on Gomez... with every Gomez sold, get a free bag of pucks.. act now, supplies limited. No reasonable offer refused.. Hell.. no offer refused.

(Gomez comes with a simulated leather hockey bag and 12 pucks. Act now and get 25 percent off Kaberle)

• Upvote 1

What is funny is the Habs say they are not sellers yet, but they are two points ahead of Carolina, who are sellers. PG needs to wake the hell up. He is a seller. Start working on the plan to make this a better team NEXT year.

What is funny is that with every win or loss, the tide seems to change in Habs nation. Before this game we had hope, but now we are done. Everyone just needs to "chill out". We all know this team has had it's share of bad breaks this season and is better than it's record indicates. Are they a Cup contender? Not very likely. Are they a lottery team? Not very likely. But I'm sick of this notion that not winning the Cup is an utter failure. There is definitely value in your favorite team making the playoffs. Out of 30 teams, only 1 wins it all. A measly 3.3% of all teams win the Cup each year. You don't think that each and every fan base wants their team to win? To say that anything but a Cup win is not acceptable is garbage IMO. We will all remember the run we had 2 years ago, and the excitement it brought to us all. THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT. If this team can scrap it's way into 8th place and go 6 games with the 1st seed before getting eliminated, I would rather that than "tanking" any day.

What is funny is that with every win or loss, the tide seems to change in Habs nation. Before this game we had hope, but now we are done. Everyone just needs to "chill out". We all know this team has had it's share of bad breaks this season and is better than it's record indicates. Are they a Cup contender? Not very likely. Are they a lottery team? Not very likely. But I'm sick of this notion that not winning the Cup is an utter failure. There is definitely value in your favorite team making the playoffs. Out of 30 teams, only 1 wins it all. A measly 3.3% of all teams win the Cup each year. You don't think that each and every fan base wants their team to win? To say that anything but a Cup win is not acceptable is garbage IMO. We will all remember the run we had 2 years ago, and the excitement it brought to us all. THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT. If this team can scrap it's way into 8th place and go 6 games with the 1st seed before getting eliminated, I would rather that than "tanking" any day.

For the record, I have been a seller for a month at least. The point isn't that we have to win a cup, but be a contender. Ie.. have a reasonable chance.

there is a big difference between a young team moving up and just missing the playoffs, or getting some experience. We are not in that position. We are heading in the opposite direction. We need to realistically assess the team and make the moves needed to spend the least amount of time at the bottom of the league and start building around our young core.

Gomez, Gionta, and Cammy had their shot at a cup and didn't get there. Before that, Koivu, Kovy, etc had their shot at it, didn't get there.

I honestly believe if we get that top 3 pick, make some nice sells to pick up more picks and prospects, we have a shot at a very quick retooling. If we don't get the picks, draft 12th, and sit on Gomez we will be fighting for a playoff spot for years to come, some times getting in, sometimes not. I am tired of that.

The clock is ticking on Price, PK, etc.. lets get moving before they bolt to other teams.

Look, these guys weren't going to win 20 straight. You know, if they follow this up with 4 straight wins, all will be well again. Personally I love the idea of a crazy drive to the playoffs, but I also realize two things: first, it's a very long shot; and second, there will be bumps along the way even if we do pull it off somehow. This game is not the end of the world per se.

The whole fanbase has gone bipolar on this 'tank' versus 'cheer' pendulum. I think Commandant has the right idea: cheer for you team to win every game, but between games, we should want to see PG ship out expiring contracts - not so much to 'tank' but in order to max out asset management, knowing that this is clearly NOT The Year.

As implausible as it seems, this doesn't necessarily mean that the team has to go belly-up; it just means that young guys have to step in and do the job on a short-term basis. The way he's playing right now, in that short term Kostitsyn will not be hard to replace; Moen, ditto; and as for Gill, well, you just give more ice to Emelin and hope.

So: max out assets, but don't hope for 'tanking' per se - I continue to insist that getting all worked up about the difference between a #6 pick and a #4 pick is a bit silly - and keep cheering.

Even if we finished with a lottery pick, it doesn't mean that the player chosen will become a star. Or even that they will become the best player picked at that position. This Habs team has a pretty decent young core as it is. Our leading scorer is 23 years old, our best defenseman this year is 22 and our world class goalie is 24. Those are some excellent pieces moving forward. I just don't understand the disconnect between our run 2 years ago, our thrilling 7 game OT clash with the champs last year and then this year's " sell and tank" mentality. I remember seeing a Gauthier interview that really put this season into perspective for me. He said something like that for the majority of this season, the Habs have been playing with a cap floor salary. We have had our #1 defense man out all year, our captain played half the games and go down the list. Let's pretend that Gomez was buried in the minors this year and that Brad Richards decided to sign here instead of New York. And that Markov returned in November without a hitch and played like he does. IMO Habs would be comfortably in a playoff position and it isn't that far off from reality. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that we paid for a #1 center (Gomez) and a #1 defense man (Markov) and basically got zero production from both. IF we had production from those 2 spots, things would be ALOT different.

As far as being a seller goes, I am all for trading Gill, Moen and to a lesser extent Kostitsyn. Gill is absolutely garbage and I cannot for the life of me understand why people continue to defend this guy. He can't skate, can't shoot, can't pass but he sure can lay down on the ice really good on the PK. If the value of a particular player is based solely on his PK abilities, than he is not worth having around. I like Moen but there are plenty of Moens around the league, so I don't care what happens with him. Kostitsyn is definitely an interesting situation. I am all for resigning him but it is up to PG knowing whether or not he will resign. It would be terrible to let an asset like him walk away for nothing. Poor management if that is the case. If he has a feeling that he will not resign, and there is a deal on the table of greater value than Kostitsyn playing the rest of the year, then he has to pull the trigger on it.

While being as excited as anyone during the cup run a couple of years ago and last years series against the Bruins, I would dispute that "Thats what its all about".

I think what its all about would preferrably be building a team that contends most years aka Detroit, Philly, San Jose and has a genuine shot at the title rather than a miracle run at it once a decade. I think most people would agree we don't need a total blow up of the team which is why alot of people are pushing to tank, as one or two key players is potentially all we need to be a contending team.

I agree with you that losing Markov has been a huge loss, and although I agree that we are not getting production out of Gomez, you cannot say that is bad luck (as in the Markov situation) as we traded for him after presumably scouting him first.

What I think we have (and have had for the last few years) is a bubble team that can occasionally play above itself. I for one would like to see us pick as high as possible this year to build our forwards around a genuine big number 1 centre.

Saying all that, I would still be excited if we made another run, but part of me would also be sad that we missed a genuine opportunity to make our team alot better for a long while. With the cap now, there are not many opportunities to trade for stars without crippling your team long term and getting a high draft pick is probably the most realistic way we could get a star in the near future.

PS: I don't think most fans are Cup or bust. I just think we want to see a team that contends.

While being as excited as anyone during the cup run a couple of years ago and last years series against the Bruins, I would dispute that "Thats what its all about".

I think what its all about would preferrably be building a team that contends most years aka Detroit, Philly, San Jose and has a genuine shot at the title rather than a miracle run at it once a decade. I think most people would agree we don't need a total blow up of the team which is why alot of people are pushing to tank, as one or two key players is potentially all we need to be a contending team.

I agree with you that losing Markov has been a huge loss, and although I agree that we are not getting production out of Gomez, you cannot say that is bad luck (as in the Markov situation) as we traded for him after presumably scouting him first.

What I think we have (and have had for the last few years) is a bubble team that can occasionally play above itself. I for one would like to see us pick as high as possible this year to build our forwards around a genuine big number 1 centre.

Saying all that, I would still be excited if we made another run, but part of me would also be sad that we missed a genuine opportunity to make our team alot better for a long while. With the cap now, there are not many opportunities to trade for stars without crippling your team long term and getting a high draft pick is probably the most realistic way we could get a star in the near future.

PS: I don't think most fans are Cup or bust. I just think we want to see a team that contends.

This is exactly how i feel.

This is a unique season, and I think our core is too good to really have us in a similar situation again.

I don't see us being this close to a lottery team next year, I think even with a couple of small changes, we'd be able to score on the PP and that would make us a bubble team.

This is really a season where everything that could possibly go wrong has gone wrong, and is unlikely to repeat itself.

However we also need that Franchise defining centre to go from Bubble team to True Contender, and this season also puts us in a unique position to get that guy.

Yeah, the chances of getting a guy at 8 or at 4 might not differ much statistically, but here is the unique situation of this year's draft and the Montreal Canadiens as a team.

1st off, this years draft looks like it only has two elite centres in it... they are Grigorenko and Galchenyuk... I want to assure myself of getting one of them.

2ndly, I have a ton of faith in Trevor Timmins one of the league's best amateur scouts, so I do think that giving him a better choice... a number 4 pick instead of a number 8 is valuable. More players on the board, better chance that my head scout, who is one of the best in the biz, makes the right choice. Since the lockout he only has one screwup in Fisher; but also has managed Carey Price, Ryan McDonagh, PK Subban, Max Pacioretty with his high picks.

3rdly its not just the first round here, its about making your 2nd round pick into a late 1st, your 3rd rounder into the equivalent of a late 2nd, etc....

This is a unique season, and I think our core is too good to really have us in a similar situation again.

I don't see us being this close to a lottery team next year, I think even with a couple of small changes, we'd be able to score on the PP and that would make us a bubble team.

This is really a season where everything that could possibly go wrong has gone wrong, and is unlikely to repeat itself.

However we also need that Franchise defining centre to go from Bubble team to True Contender, and this season also puts us in a unique position to get that guy.

Yeah, the chances of getting a guy at 8 or at 4 might not differ much statistically, but here is the unique situation of this year's draft and the Montreal Canadiens as a team.

1st off, this years draft looks like it only has two elite centres in it... they are Grigorenko and Galchenyuk... I want to assure myself of getting one of them.

2ndly, I have a ton of faith in Trevor Timmins one of the league's best amateur scouts, so I do think that giving him a better choice... a number 4 pick instead of a number 8 is valuable. More players on the board, better chance that my head scout, who is one of the best in the biz, makes the right choice. Since the lockout he only has one screwup in Fisher; but also has managed Carey Price, Ryan McDonagh, PK Subban, Max Pacioretty with his high picks.

3rdly its not just the first round here, its about making your 2nd round pick into a late 1st, your 3rd rounder into the equivalent of a late 2nd, etc....

Well said. I still think we at least HAD a better team on paper than last year and that may still be the case. I recall Gomer playing prettty well in our last run too. We may not win the North America's God Talent, grand prize if we make it to the dancefloor, but we have a good team with bad injury bounces. Make the dance and with ... please God.. Markov.. .and who knows?

All true, but we are the Habs. We should push to play as strong as we can be and let the cards fall where they may. If its' clear we can't make it, then fine do something that makes us deeper and stronger, but if there's a chance to dance, dance.

All true, but we are the Habs. We should push to play as strong as we can be and let the cards fall where they may. If its' clear we can't make it, then fine do something that makes us deeper and stronger, but if there's a chance to dance, dance.

I think the game is about playing your best , not winning. The winning just happens.
  • Upvote 1

The players will always do this.

Management needs to look at this team and realize that we are realistically not a cup contender.

And thats what the Montreal Canadiens should strive to be, a Cup Contender, year in and year out.... not a Bubble Playoff Team... but a team that others look at as a threat to win the cup.

It might be impossible to replicate the success of the late 70s. But we need to get back to the late 80s/early 90s where in any given year we had the chance to win the cup, and we even managed to get to the finals 3 times and win twice.

No more of what we've done for the last decade, squeaking in and hoping to win a round.

I don't want to just go to the dance, I want to be walking into that dance with the high hopes that if I play my cards right, and get a little luck, I'll be bringing home the prom queen at the end of the night.

We've got the franchise goalie (Price), We've got the future franchise Dman (subban); we've got the depth in place in our system.... get me the missing piece, another gamebreaking, franchis defining forward and this is my opportunity to acquire that piece as other teams just don't let them get away.

That's all great, but not realistic, and not something that's going to happen. We've spent the last five months debating why this team has under achieved. It's not at the Bruins level, but it's also not a lottery team. Selling off the pieces that we all believe are available probably won't help us next season, as they'll likely only get us draft picks. The idea that we could trade up is pure fantasy, if it happens, wonderful, but don't hold your breath. We started the season as a team that would fight for 8th, and that's where we'll finish. The core of this team won't be traded in an effort to "tank", in my opinion. I think we're going to have to accept this. Let's see if I'm wrong. This fighting for 8th stuff is garbage, but I don't see it changing for now. As the Cucumber suggest, this team is probably going to stay the course, and hopefully improve slowly, in small increments.

That's all great, but not realistic, and not something that's going to happen. We've spent the last five months debating why this team has under achieved. It's not at the Bruins level, but it's also not a lottery team. Selling off the pieces that we all believe are available probably won't help us next season, as they'll likely only get us draft picks. The idea that we could trade up is pure fantasy, if it happens, wonderful, but don't hold your breath. We started the season as a team that would fight for 8th, and that's where we'll finish. The core of this team won't be traded in an effort to "tank", in my opinion. I think we're going to have to accept this. Let's see if I'm wrong. This fighting for 8th stuff is garbage, but I don't see it changing for now. As the Cucumber suggest, this team is probably going to stay the course, and hopefully improve slowly, in small increments.

Actually we are a borderline lottery team. Sick of all these "we're better than our record" posts. We aren't and just shows how little this fanbase actually knows about hockey. How about" we arem't as good as our record the last 2 years" because we had Price and Halak bailing our asses out every night.Last night was a perfect sample of this team. Another blown 3rd period lead because,our forwards were too tired,because we have no 4th line to take the burden off them. A very substandard defense,led in ineptness by Campoli,Kaberle and Diaz.

How can you compete in the NHL with a minor league coach.Palushaj and Darche playing ahead of Kost. and Gomez on the top 9. Matthieu "the locker room rat" Darche playing on the 2nd line @ 20 min/gm > Aaron "1 point in 19 games" Palushaj playing on the 3rd line. That is how a lottery team lines'em up

They may not help us next season, but the more picks you have, the more young assets you can add.

The more young assets you add, the easier it is to trade a prospect/pick for a rental that you might need next season.... and the more chances of finding someone who can help you in 3 or 4 years.

Every player that is available.... Moen, Darche, Gill, Campoli, Weber, Kostitsyn, is replaceable in the summer and is not a key piece that is helping us right now.

Heck people look at Kostitsyn, and he's probably the most talented of the guys available... hes fallen out of total favour with this team, playing 4th line minutes thoughout the winning streak and getting around 4:00 last night, there is no reason to keep him around.

Its a lot better to get something for these guys while we can, then to lose them on July 1st for nothing.

That winning streak didn't change my opinion on where the team should be at all. I was happy we lost this game.

Even if the team ends up playing better and Montreal stays out of the bottom five, the team should still try stacking on second and third round picks. People keep saying, "Where did New York come from?" but look at the guys who are performing for them. Ryan Callahan, fourth round pick. Brandon Dubinsky, second round pick. Derek Stepan, second round pick. Artem Anisimov, second round pick. Carl Hagelin, sixth round pick. That's coupled with their first round pick guys like Del Zotto and the injured Marc Staal.

This is about looking to the future. What should this team look like five seasons from now when Subban, Pacioretty and Price are supposed to be veterans?

We are an average team who had terrible luck on injuries this year. That is why getting a high pick is so valuable. I really don't expect us to be here next year. If Markov is back and our injury situation isn't as bad, we will be back to a bubble team. If we play our cards right, we can make the most of this crappy season.

And again.. I don't want the players to tank, I want the management team to realize where we are and take appropriate selling action. The fact that they are still on the fence is crazy. We are sellers. Get to it.

By the way. The other nice part of selling is getting more kids up here to see what they have. I will enjoy that.

No they are not. They will be the same team five years from now if they don't start taking advantage of opportunities availed to them. They are in the wilderness. If they don't take stock of where they are and how to get out of there, they will be there for a long time.

I'm all for trading up in the draft if it can be done. I doubt that Commandant's scenario - bundle your picks for that franchise-defining C - is realistic, though; why would the other team do it? Maybe if they're top-heavy with impact C. Is this the case with Edmonton and Columbus - ?

I agree that Timmins has, a few gaffes aside, done pretty well by us, and I trust him to pile on some value with the raft of 2nd/3rd-round picks that tthe Gills/Moens/Kostitsyns of the world are likely to yield. What I don't see is a plausible scenario where we will be all set to land that franchise-defining C at the end of this season. Again, we're not gonna catch Edmonton and Columbus for the top picks (although we could conceivably get lucky in the lottery). If we do, that's great, but I just think you need to temper your expectations with realism. The most plausible outcome is that we pick somewhere between (say) #4 and #6. That can get you an impact player, yes - it can also fail to do so - but probably not a franchise-changing guy who is going to step and redefine the team.

This freak disaster of a season is most likely to yield tangible benefits 2-3 years from now, when our top pick and the clutch of 2nd-rounders and below that our UFAs are likely to produce start to filter upward to the big club. Perhaps we will be able to duplicate what we did with Subban, i.e., identify a real star after the first round; this is no more unusual than choosing a bust in the firsr round. Again, though, the most likely scenario is that some of the picks won't pan out while others emerge as good NHLers - not necessarily top-3 forwards or top-2 defencemen.

In short, I don't see any clear-cut scenario for turning this season into a magic bullet that transforms our club. It certainly has the potential to enrich our talent pool, and if Gauthier fails to take advantage of that by clinging to the UFAs he should be drawn and quartered on The Main. But that enrichment will probably not be 'transformative.' Rather it'll be an extension of what we've been doing for years: drafting mostly good, not great players who will help us somewhere down the line, along with, perhaps, a Pacioretty or Subban thrown in the mix for good measure.

Far more potentially 'transformative' will be the cap space secured by offloading Gomez's contract IMHO.

I'm all for trading up in the draft if it can be done. I doubt that Commandant's scenario - bundle your picks for that franchise-defining C - is realistic, though; why would the other team do it? Maybe if they're top-heavy with impact C. Is this the case with Edmonton and Columbus - ?

I agree that Timmins has, a few gaffes aside, done pretty well by us, and I trust him to pile on some value with the raft of 2nd/3rd-round picks that tthe Gills/Moens/Kostitsyns of the world are likely to yield. What I don't see is a plausible scenario where we will be all set to land that franchise-defining C at the end of this season. Again, we're not gonna catch Edmonton and Columbus for the top picks (although we could conceivably get lucky in the lottery). If we do, that's great, but I just think you need to temper your expectations with realism. The most plausible outcome is that we pick somewhere between (say) #4 and #6. That can get you an impact player, yes - it can also fail to do so - but probably not a franchise-changing guy who is going to step and redefine the team.

This freak disaster of a season is most likely to yield tangible benefits 2-3 years from now, when our top pick and the clutch of 2nd-rounders and below that our UFAs are likely to produce start to filter upward to the big club. Perhaps we will be able to duplicate what we did with Subban, i.e., identify a real star after the first round; this is no more unusual than choosing a bust in the firsr round. Again, though, the most likely scenario is that some of the picks won't pan out while others emerge as good NHLers - not necessarily top-3 forwards or top-2 defencemen.

In short, I don't see any clear-cut scenario for turning this season into a magic bullet that transforms our club. It certainly has the potential to enrich our talent pool, and if Gauthier fails to take advantage of that by clinging to the UFAs he should be drawn and quartered on The Main. But that enrichment will probably not be 'transformative.' Rather it'll be an extension of what we've been doing for years: drafting mostly good, not great players who will help us somewhere down the line, along with, perhaps, a Pacioretty or Subban thrown in the mix for good measure.

Far more potentially 'transformative' will be the cap space secured by offloading Gomez's contract IMHO.

There are no guarantees at any time. Look at the Wichenheiser pick. If you think you would get a cure for next year or the following year, you may be dissapointed. If you think you can change this franchise around without being smart at the draft, you will be dissapointed.