Gill dealt to Predators

What is coming right around the corner is depth and Geoffrion brings that.

Lots of quality juniors and hopefully US college will graduate to AHL next year.

Brings up to 6 rookies to pro hockey next year.

+ One top 8, 1st rounder.

And more to come, cool.

Why do teams have to be considered 'sellers' or 'buyers'? Any team that makes a trade is doing both. Montreal just 'sold' a vet that was not part of their future and 'bought' some youth and potential. I'm no Pierre Goatshow fan but I don't think he is the worst GM in the league by any means. I can't wait to see what he does with big Teets, Moen and Lamepoli.

Why do teams have to be considered 'sellers' or 'buyers'? Any team that makes a trade is doing both. Montreal just 'sold' a vet that was not part of their future and 'bought' some youth and potential. I'm no Pierre Goatshow fan but I don't think he is the worst GM in the league by any means. I can't wait to see what he does with big Teets, Moen and Lamepoli.

Yeah that accolade would have to go to Scott Howson. Or maybe Garth Snow.

I would have been glad with the 2nd round pick alone. Getting Geoffrion and Slaney is a big surprise. We gave them a 5th round draft pick,but, all in all, Gauthier has done a good job.

Conditional 5th rounder..We give up the pick ONLY if Geoffrion plays at least 40 games next season..

Kaberle deal was laughed at league wide. It's the worst trade he's made. Lets get the lies from you PG fanboys out of the way. Kaberle is NOT a 50 pt guy. he hasn't scored 50 since 07-08. He has 2 g 31 a 33pts in last 82 games. 25 hits,8 pim. He has 24 pts in 58 games which is about a 35 pt pace. he is noticeably declining offensively and is butter soft and terrible on defense. And we have 2 more yrs of $4.25m for this Ex TO turd. Bourque has 3g 2 a 5 pts in 14 games,and Cammi has 4 g 2 a 6 pts in 13 games. That trade was bad for both teams.Gauthier is universally ridiculed,as are people who thinks he's done well with the "hapless Habs" as i read today

There'll be no pressure on "little BOOM BOOM in Montreal,lol

As Commandant pointed out he has been above 47 pts or on pace for above 50 the past three years... and as a hab would be on pace for 42 this year.

Bourque has put up similar numbers to Cammy... but Cammy is a -5 as a flame and Bourque has shown some kind of physical presence. So for the same production we saved money, got more physical and apparently more sound defensively. That trade also added Holland who is having a tremendous year in the WHL.

Kaberle trade I now have no opinion on, its a wash for me. I like Bourque more then Cammy and we got another piece in that trade. I didn't think we would get that much for Gill, I was hopeful for a second round pick. Instead we get a 2nd and at worst a very solid young bottom six guy (with size and strength) who could possibly be top six. We wouldn't have even signed Gill in the off-season, plus what more could we have gotten?

We will see what else he does at the deadline but if he pulls off another deal like this I would not be happy if he was fired in the off-season. Despite his questionable handling of coaching and media. I would be okay with leaving that to rookie gm uneasiness and let those incidents slide.

The 2nd was the general consensus we all had. Geoffrion is 24 though. Hasn't done much yet. He's youngish, but the league is full of 24 year olds. I've got Gary Carter on my mind anyway. Big part of my childhood.

He was my favorite baseball player. Became a Mets fan after the expos dismanted that team and traded Carter. Came back to the Expos with Gary and remained an expos fan until the lockout/strike killed the world series chance.

Gill was a great penalty killer and a great mentor for Gorges and Subban. You thought Nashville was a defensive juggarnaut last playoff? Here's hoping that Geoffrion plays with cole and learns to be a power forward. Just as Gorges played with Gill and perfected the shutdown role. I don't see it though. Don't expect a bunch from baby boom boom. Basically this trade was Gill for a 2nd with a bunch of other guys around.

I see it as a 2nd which is a bit later 2nd then I hoped, along with a guy to appease the RDS/Bergeron types.

Great move for the Habs. They get younger, cheaper, and tougher. Plus, they get a 2nd round pick. Even if Geoffrion is a third liner and Slanley is a career AHLer, this is a great return for a pending UFA.

Well done PG!

Oh, and this clearly signals the beginning of the selling season for the Habs. Campoli, Kostitsyn, Moen...who knows who will move next?!

Did he really get more then anyone expected??? Hell, even Moore brought a 2nd round pick AGAIN, when most were saying he would probably cost a 3rd rounder this year.

I'm sad to see Gill go, he seemed to be a good guy. But I gotta say, I'm pleasantly surprised by what Gauthier got in return for Gill. Now, If he can get as much for Moen, things will look good for the future. Let's be serious here, what are our chances of making the playoffs this year? 5%...maybe 10%. I'm not saying that we should tank the rest of the season, but if we can get some good return for Moen, and Campoli, I say pull the trigger.

I'm sad to see Gill go, he seemed to be a good guy. But I gotta say, I'm pleasantly surprised by what Gauthier got in return for Gill. Now, If he can get as much for Moen, things will look good for the future. Let's be serious here, what are our chances of making the playoffs this year? 5%...maybe 10%. I'm not saying that we should tank the rest of the season, but if we can get some good return for Moen, and Campoli, I say pull the trigger.

I shudder to think if what Eklund says actually comes to pass - trading our 1st, 2nd + for Carter.

I want returns for Moen, Campoli, Kostitsyn, maybe Weber and if we can, Kaberle and Gomez. I don't hate acquiring Kaberle but if someone wants him for a pick, you pull the trigger.

I shudder to think if what Eklund says actually comes to pass - trading our 1st, 2nd + for Carter.

Although it may seem like a lot, that is the premium one has to pay for a goal scoring center. And unfortunately, the Habs are in need of one of those. Relying on the draft is is a gamble, and usually doesn't yield results for a few years if it works out at all. With our 1st pick this year, ideally it would be for a potentially impact center. I have no problem trading that chance and a second round chance for a guy who is entering his prime and is locked up long term at a reasonable cap hit. Sure 10 years is a long time but who knows what will happen by then with CBA negotiations, cap inflation or the player himself. I believe this team needs an acquisition of a Carter-type player, the return of Markov and the supplementation of key prospects that are already in the system, to be a contender as soon as next year.

I want returns for Moen, Campoli, Kostitsyn, maybe Weber and if we can, Kaberle and Gomez. I don't hate acquiring Kaberle but if someone wants him for a pick, you pull the trigger.

I'm okay with keeping Moen, unless we get a very strong offer because I don't think we have to move him, and I'm in complete agreement on Kaberle, I don't hate the move to get him, but if we can move him that would be good long term I think.

As Commandant pointed out he has been above 47 pts or on pace for above 50 the past three years... and as a hab would be on pace for 42 this year.

Bourque has put up similar numbers to Cammy... but Cammy is a -5 as a flame and Bourque has shown some kind of physical presence. So for the same production we saved money, got more physical and apparently more sound defensively. That trade also added Holland who is having a tremendous year in the WHL.

Kaberle trade I now have no opinion on, its a wash for me. I like Bourque more then Cammy and we got another piece in that trade. I didn't think we would get that much for Gill, I was hopeful for a second round pick. Instead we get a 2nd and at worst a very solid young bottom six guy (with size and strength) who could possibly be top six. We wouldn't have even signed Gill in the off-season, plus what more could we have gotten?

We will see what else he does at the deadline but if he pulls off another deal like this I would not be happy if he was fired in the off-season. Despite his questionable handling of coaching and media. I would be okay with leaving that to rookie gm uneasiness and let those incidents slide.

I would be almost as upset if he came back as I was when we traded Roy or Leclair. This whole mess is his and BG fault. He is universally ridiculed league wide by scouts,GMs and analysts. And deservedly so.How do we save $$ we Bourque ? We're stuck for 4 years with another VERY inconsistent player,who's physical presence is VASTLY OVERRATED,at $13m. It's spread out longer than Cammi's $13m,but at least we'd be free of that in 2 years,which is when this rebuild should start seeing results.Nobody,except a few here thinks the Kaberle deal is any good. If he can get traded by the deadline,without having to throw in a pick for incentive,I will put up any self degrading avatar for the rest of the year.He's untradeable. Pace/schmace,he is a 35 pt player now. 7 pp assists in his time here. terrible player. As bad all around as Campoli.

Why would he want to come back as a UFA,whewn he surely will get offers for contenders,which we are 2-3 yrs away..if we get some competent management

We got for Gill exactly what was expected. To me,looking at the stats,Geoffrion is another Palushaj and the best thing about him is he helps give Hamilton some depth. if it prevents Schultz from coming up here,then Iwouldn't be happy

@lafrous10

A cynic is born every day...

Although it may seem like a lot, that is the premium one has to pay for a goal scoring center. And unfortunately, the Habs are in need of one of those. Relying on the draft is is a gamble, and usually doesn't yield results for a few years if it works out at all. With our 1st pick this year, ideally it would be for a potentially impact center. I have no problem trading that chance and a second round chance for a guy who is entering his prime and is locked up long term at a reasonable cap hit. Sure 10 years is a long time but who knows what will happen by then with CBA negotiations, cap inflation or the player himself. I believe this team needs an acquisition of a Carter-type player, the return of Markov and the supplementation of key prospects that are already in the system, to be a contender as soon as next year.

Trading for Jeff Carter is as big a gamble as any draft pick..He is injury prone and has done nothing this year to warrant anything to that kind of bounty...If that is the asking price for him, then PG better step away...

Edited by Blonde Demon

With a lottery pick still possible, do you really want to give up our #1 this year? TO me that would be worse then Burke's move for Kessel. At least Burke didn't think the leafs would be bad enough for a chance at the lottery pick. I wouldn't pass a chance of drafting potentially the next Bure or Malkin for Carter. Now if Columbus was willing to take our 2013 #1 overall, then IMO that wouldn't be a bad move.

With a lottery pick still possible, do you really want to give up our #1 this year? TO me that would be worse then Burke's move for Kessel. At least Burke didn't think the leafs would be bad enough for a chance at the lottery pick. I wouldn't pass a chance of drafting potentially the next Bure or Malkin for Carter. Now if Columbus was willing to take our 2013 #1 overall, then IMO that wouldn't be a bad move.

I would only consider Carter if they took Kaberle and Gomez,along with whoever we have to give up. his contract is brutal. I'd rather have Vinny L. Say what you want about Burke,but Kessel is a young 35+ goal scorer,and there aren't many of them around

I would only consider Carter if they took Kaberle and Gomez,along with whoever we have to give up. his contract is brutal. I'd rather have Vinny L. Say what you want about Burke,but Kessel is a young 35+ goal scorer,and there aren't many of them around

Who would you rather have Kessel or Seguin? I should actually be asking Kessel or Seguin & Hamilton, but IMO even Seguin over Kessel is a no brainer.

• Upvote 1

PG hit a homer with this trade. The 2nd rounder was fair value, If Geoffrion grows to full potential we stole him. Throw in Slaney who even if he doesn't make it adds a ton to the 'dogs and we are way ahead in this deal. Great move! Keep it up PG and your job is safe!

Kaberle isn't a 50 point player but Kessel is all of a sudden a 35+ goal scorer. Really, this is getting too much.

Kaberle scored 47 pts last year,

Was on a 55+ point pace in 2010 but was hurt.

Scored 49 pts in 2009.

3 pts over a season when he doesn't play all 82 games, or 1 pt over such a season of again less than 82 games are no big deal, he's still a 50pt Dman. As for his D, yes he's no shutdown D, but at 4.25 million that's what you get. If he shut people down and scored 50 pts hed be worth 7 million.

I so agree with you he is a great pickup and he has play not to bad it is not his fault our pp is sucking. He is a puck mover and is doing just that for us. His real value will be seen next year with a retooled d line up.

Kaberle isn't a 50 point player but Kessel is all of a sudden a 35+ goal scorer. Really, this is getting too much.

Kessels stats:

How's that kool-aid tasting. kabby has 35 pts last 82 games,with obvious deterorating skills. Kessel has 30 in 58 games and has hit 30 last 3 years before this and is getting better.Next you will tell me Gomez is a 60-70 pt guy. ROFL !!!