What a disgrace of a team.

jmaac1

Honestly it's becoming really disgusting watching Montreal now a days I understand why Montreal loses games but them losing games while putting no effort or heart is a disgrace to this franchise, these players don the jersey of one of the greatest franchises in sports and all they are doing is taking a big fat shit on this team and not giving a damn about it whatsoever. Gauthier for the little time u have left as manager do this team right and get rid of these useless and horrible players in kaberle who can't play defense if his life depended on it on top of having no passion whatsoever for the game, Diaz and Weber who are too small, and don't defend that well, I don't care if their young and have offensive potential get rid of them. Oh and not to mention campoli as well, the guy is just horrible. Only keepers on defense is Emelin, subban, gorges, and Markov, (when he comes back, don't give a shit what people say about him with the injuries, when healthy he is still an Allstar). With beaulieu and tinordi coming next year we can afford to get rid of these weak heartless dman, get the prospects and picks and continue the young foundation we have in place already. As for kostitsyn get rid of him now especially when so many top forwards on the trade market are off now, kostitsyn is too inconsistent and he had more than enough time to prove himself. Palushaj bury him in the minors or trade him, the guy cant play in the nhl that simple. Nokelainen get rid of him completely useless, Darche too old, Gomez don't even get me started. We have great foundation in place with deharnais, paches, eller, leblanc, subban, Emelin, price, cole, moen ( hope he gets resigned), white, gorges, geofrion and Gionta. Plekanec and markov I'm on the fence because of inconsistencies and injuries. So please gauthier don't ###### this up, keep Aquiring assets for our future and get rid of those useless players who don't deserve to wear the colors of Montreal.

Edited by jmaac1

You guys have the wrong attitude-nowadays, my fandom is devoted to obsessively watching the Habs just to convince myself I hate them this much. Gone are the days of me writing fan letters to Patrick Roy, as I am treated to a dog's breakfast of overpaid duds. Gomez, Kaberle, Cammalleri, Kostitsyn, and Markov who hasn't played since the days of George W Bush during his Wall Street Bailout. Genius executives such as Scotty Bowman and Sam Pollock have been replaced with token Francophones, beer salesmen and the Seventies Habs Old Boy Network. This team will not fight for lose pucks, never mind get into fights, as we strive to become the mid-2000's Senators. What a frigging joke these guys are, even our image of class and debonair has been replaced by the tactless bumbling of Pierre Gauthier. Somebody pull the plug on these guys and let them pursue the #1 pick in dignity.

Let's not be too negative. We've only had three seasons this bad in the last twenty-plus years; it happens. There is a lot beneath the surface to like here. Everybody in this organization who is worth their salt, besides Gorges, is on an entry level contract. A new GM(a real GM this time, not a token former star or Francophone)with direction who can keep this young core together, and build a team identity could bring us back to the top four within the next two or three years.

Let's not be too negative. We've only had three seasons this bad in the last twenty-plus years; it happens. There is a lot beneath the surface to like here. Everybody in this organization who is worth their salt, besides Gorges, is on an entry level contract. A new GM(a real GM this time, not a token former star or Francophone)with direction who can keep this young core together, and build a team identity could bring us back to the top four within the next two or three years.

ya your right but we also didn't win the cup in the last 20 years either, its embarassing, I dont want the habs just to make the playoffs I want them to win the cup and take back their place at the throne where they should be.

Even though we are having a horrible season if we can bring in a good stable GM and coach we should be able to bounce back fairly quickly. We got really hurt by injuries this year and then add in the fact we just didn’t have the quality call ups we had the year before to fix it. That ended up leading to coaches being fired and players being traded and toss in the Montreal media to the mix and just lead to a lot of distractions this season.

Next year we’ll have a bunch of junior players jumping up to AHL level and that might give us some better depth. Plus we should be drafting fairly early in each round of this years draft and might be able to get someone in 1st round that can jump straight into the lineup. Hopefully we don’t get owned by injuries next year and we buyout Gomez to free up some more cap space.

We still have a decent core to build around and the key ingredient in an all-star goalie. Hopefully after the trade deadline the guys we expect to be key players in next season team get an increase in playing time and see their roles improve. Really would like to see Gomez off the powerplay and someone like Eller get some time there.

Terrible, terrible season. Obviously. I've seen a handful of truly disappointing seasons in my time. That is, it's one thing to be where we were in 1999, where you knew the team was going to gulp and blow because it had no players. But 1992, 2009, and 2012 stand out to me as crashing disappointments. In 1992, we had a team that was 1st overall as of December and proceeded to flame out in the second half. In 2009, we had a team that appeared to be poised to contend as the culmination of the Gainey rebuild; instead, injuries, apathy and just plain mediocrity led to another humiliating second-half meltdown. In 2012, we had a good team that looked, with the expected returns of Markov and Gorges, the addition of Cole, and the rise of talented youth such as MaxPac and Subban, like it could potentially hit another level. Instead, it's been a total disaster of injuries, pointless player revolt, inept, panicky management, and all-around badness.

The good news is that we have surpassed my expectations of how bad we could be. Right now, assuming away the vagaries of the draft lottery, we're poised to pick at #3 overall. That is actually in franchise-player territory. That's an exciting side-effect of this suffering.

As for the team itself, I still think the appropriate analogy is with the 2006-07 Flyers or even the Canucks of 07-08, rather than with, say, Columbus. The former teams had a fundamentally solid foundation but needed a handful of shrewd adjustments in order to become seriously competitive. Habinator is right: get a GM with vision and authority, hire a coach who isn't obviously on borrowed time, and move forward. There is no reason we can't vault up in the standings next season, but we need the right management team and we need them to make the right moves.

It has become obvious that the team won't perform for an Anglo coach.......

This feels like a baiting comment.

Canadiens played less under proud francophones like Mario Tremblay and Alain Vignault. Why? Because they were terrible coaches! Same to Cunnyworth.

Yeah, the team is an embarrassment. It's also not as bad as the record shows and seasons like this can be great for future development. Some people are convinced in a one year turnaround but it'll take a smart GM and a good coach to get that done. Right now, Montreal has neither in any part of their organization.

The previous two seasons made this team seem better then it was. In one season, we had a goalie stand on his head (and Gill lay on his side) to squeak out two improbable victories.

Last year, we caught the Bruins napping for a few games, but once they got going, we couldn't seal the deal. Even if we win that series, I doubt we win the next one.

Last year, we made the playoffs because we had one of the best PPs in the league. Even an average PP and we don't even make the playoffs last year. Tampa relied on their PP too, and see where that got them. Once the league decided the Bruins were the one, there wasn't a single penalty called in the deciding game. You better be able to win 5-5.

This year, we are not as bad as our record. We have a brutal PP, but it would be an average PP with Markov on it. We would be fighting for 8th if the injury situation was not so brutal this year.

That said, in all three years, our team was "average". Boston, Rangers, Detroit, Vancouver, Chicago, etc.. are not average. They are the top teams in the league. They don't need a miracle to win the cup.

Montreal has to keep progressing to raise the base of this team to a contender. Then a great goalie performance wins you the cup. Then a lack of PP means you win it 5-5. To get there, we need a few more key players. We need a top center. We need another elite winger. We need a PP guy, if that is Markov, then great. We need another year of seasoning for a few guys like Emelin and PK.

I truly believe this season is good for us. It shows us who we really are so we can start fixing it, instead of deluding ourselves that we were "an overtime win away from the cup". This season may also provide us with some of those top draft picks we almost never get. The last time we got a top 5 pick, we got Price. Maybe this year we get that top center. Maybe we just get a top Winger and trade for a top center. Either way, this team is not there yet.

Even though we are having a horrible season if we can bring in a good stable GM and coach we should be able to bounce back fairly quickly. We got really hurt by injuries this year and then add in the fact we just didn’t have the quality call ups we had the year before to fix it. That ended up leading to coaches being fired and players being traded and toss in the Montreal media to the mix and just lead to a lot of distractions this season.

Next year we’ll have a bunch of junior players jumping up to AHL level and that might give us some better depth. Plus we should be drafting fairly early in each round of this years draft and might be able to get someone in 1st round that can jump straight into the lineup. Hopefully we don’t get owned by injuries next year and we buyout Gomez to free up some more cap space.

We still have a decent core to build around and the key ingredient in an all-star goalie. Hopefully after the trade deadline the guys we expect to be key players in next season team get an increase in playing time and see their roles improve. Really would like to see Gomez off the powerplay and someone like Eller get some time there.

Just like the last few years,there are many" IFS" in your post. The biggest one is: will the Habs have a new GM ?

The previous two seasons made this team seem better then it was. In one season, we had a goalie stand on his head (and Gill lay on his side) to squeak out two improbable victories.

Last year, we caught the Bruins napping for a few games, but once they got going, we couldn't seal the deal. Even if we win that series, I doubt we win the next one.

Last year, we made the playoffs because we had one of the best PPs in the league. Even an average PP and we don't even make the playoffs last year. Tampa relied on their PP too, and see where that got them. Once the league decided the Bruins were the one, there wasn't a single penalty called in the deciding game. You better be able to win 5-5.

This year, we are not as bad as our record. We have a brutal PP, but it would be an average PP with Markov on it. We would be fighting for 8th if the injury situation was not so brutal this year.

That said, in all three years, our team was "average". Boston, Rangers, Detroit, Vancouver, Chicago, etc.. are not average. They are the top teams in the league. They don't need a miracle to win the cup.

Montreal has to keep progressing to raise the base of this team to a contender. Then a great goalie performance wins you the cup. Then a lack of PP means you win it 5-5. To get there, we need a few more key players. We need a top center. We need another elite winger. We need a PP guy, if that is Markov, then great. We need another year of seasoning for a few guys like Emelin and PK.

I truly believe this season is good for us. It shows us who we really are so we can start fixing it, instead of deluding ourselves that we were "an overtime win away from the cup". This season may also provide us with some of those top draft picks we almost never get. The last time we got a top 5 pick, we got Price. Maybe this year we get that top center. Maybe we just get a top Winger and trade for a top center. Either way, this team is not there yet.

I just thought that as soon as I laid eyes on Diaz, saw the Campoli signing,and that markov may not be ready, i knew this team was going to be at best,in their yearly battle for 8th,at worst 10th. I never dreamt we would be this bad.The heading of this thread is right on. What a disgrace!

Huh? You are what your record says you are,

They are a bottom 3 team,

I assume you have watched them play.

Yes. However there is always a team who wins a lot of 1 goal games and loses blowouts, their goal differential ends up worse than their record and the next year we see revision to the norm. A good example is Tampa last year and this year. Candidates for next season are Florida and Winnipeg.Montreal is facing the opposite this year. Just like the 07 Canucks.

Our goal differential is all because of commitment. We'll lose a few by a goal, then all of a sudden have a blowout win. Blow out wins when our team plays like a team and the rest of the time half of the players on the ice don't give a rats ass about hockey. We are better than our record. If every player played for 60 minutes each game, we would not be in 28th. Anyone who denies this is just fooling themselves. Next season we need to start fresh from the top down.

ya your right but we also didn't win the cup in the last 20 years either, its embarassing, I dont want the habs just to make the playoffs I want them to win the cup and take back their place at the throne where they should be.

We have won a cup in the last 20 years though... our last cup was in 93', 19 years ago.

Omg 19 years I was so far off what is the diffrence

1 year. Sorry, that was too easy. :) Actually, I wanted to alert you to the quote button that appears at the bottom right of each post, use it when replying to posts instead of just copy/pasting the text. (I've been adding quote tags manually in your replies so as to not confuse anyone.)

I'd like to see us bring Schultz ,St. Denis and maybe even give Henry a callup(a reward for a loyal soldier) among others.It would make the last 20 games worth watching. It's hard watching a Fla/Mtl game when we're in contention,never mind now that we're dead