Geoff Molson calls the shots now - TSN 990 Tony Marinaro

JoeLassister

Apparently, a big scoop about the Habs will be announced in 10 minutes (6:45 PM EST) on CTV Montreal. If you're near a TV, might be worth having a looksee.

Tony Marinaro of TSN 990 just announced that according to a source really close to the organisation, Geoff Molson would be calling the shots now instead of Pierre Gauthier.

See my note in the rumour thread more or less debunking this just with what he said in the process.

With phrasing it the way he did, he more or less said that because the organization won't say anything of the sort, it cannot be disproven thus implicitly proving he is correct without anything actually happening.

It could just mean that Molson is approving all decisions by PG. PG could still be answering the phones, but Molson has lost faith in him to operative independently.

I wouldn't blame him, but I am not sure Molson knows anything either.

It could just mean that Molson is approving all decisions by PG. PG could still be answering the phones, but Molson has lost faith in him to operative independently.

I wouldn't blame him, but I am not sure Molson knows anything either.

Indeed. Frankly, I've always thought the bizarre timing around the firing of JM had more to do with Molson than Gauthier. No proof, it just seemed like such a whacked-out piece of general managing that I find it hard to believe it was really PG's doing.

It's Marinaro. Like Brian said, if you can't disprove it, it must be true. Molson holds all the cards because he owns the team. It's not difficult to understand. Huge scoop though. Huge.

Ah.

I don't know if this is bad news or good. It's bad in that Molson is not competent to make hockey decisions. It's good in that it means Gauthier is dead meat.

Sometimes hands on owners can be a good thing. Look at the Patriots,Yankees and Mavericks in their respective sports.Sometimes.

This may offend PGs fanboys(I also saw that term on another board). but there are many fans that could do a better job with building a roster and contracts than him. Or Gainey for that matter.

If you were owner of this francise and had plans on a replacing GM and Headcoach come seasons end would you allow them to orchestrate a trade without your consent?

If you were owner of this francise and had plans on a replacing GM and Headcoach come seasons end would you allow them to orchestrate a trade without your consent?

Of course not.

Gauthier despite having a contract is a lame duck for sure.

Of course not.

Gauthier despite having a contract is a lame duck for sure.

there is a difference between what we have and what marinaro claimed.

The reality is probably something like this...

Could PG trade Subban without Molson approval? probably not.

Could he deal a UFA for picks and prospects tomorrow? Sure he could.

Marinaro wants to say that Molson is running everything and is the GM and its not realistic the org is run as hes claiming.

This is turning into a Toronto. Burke's approach saved the franchise. We need a Burke type GM that will demand full control at his position to do it properly. Until we get a GM like that, we're in for more years like this year. Too many hoops to jump through for any decision.

Before that we need ownership that has the brains to hire the right guy - Nill.

This is turning into a Toronto. Burke's approach saved the franchise. We need a Burke type GM that will demand full control at his position to do it properly. Until we get a GM like that, we're in for more years like this year. Too many hoops to jump through for any decision.

This is turning into a Toronto.  Burke's approach saved the franchise.  We need a Burke type GM that will demand full control at his position to do it properly.  Until we get a GM like that, we're in for more years like this year.  Too many hoops to jump through for any decision.

PG had that power last year but lost faith of Molson this year.

He really screwed up with his defense this season. Letting Sopel, Mara, Hammer, and Wiz all walk was pretty crazy. Not replacing any of the four until training camp was even crazier. I realize Sopel and Mara were brought in to replace Spacek and Gorges injuries, but this blown season comes down to defense. Losing Martin was just the icing on the cake.

He really screwed up with his defense this season. Letting Sopel, Mara, Hammer, and Wiz all walk was pretty crazy. Not replacing any of the four until training camp was even crazier. I realize Sopel and Mara were brought in to replace Spacek and Gorges injuries, but this blown season comes down to defense. Losing Martin was just the icing on the cake.

Campoli,Kaberle,Diaz and Weber is as bad a combo as it could ever get. #1 reason for us sucking. No doubt about it. You should never have more than one of those type of guys in your 6/7 man rotation,never mind all 4

Campoli,Kaberle,Diaz and Weber is as bad a combo as it could ever get. #1 reason for us sucking. No doubt about it. You should never have more than one of those type of guys in your 6/7 man rotation,never mind all 4

Campoli and Weber have been brutal. Kaberle has filled his role. Personally I believe Diaz is showing excellent potential as this is his first season in North America, normally it takes a player longer to adapt then he has taken. I look forward to seeing him next season.

Campoli and Weber have been brutal. Kaberle has filled his role. Personally I believe Diaz is showing excellent potential as this is his first season in North America, normally it takes a player longer to adapt then he has taken. I look forward to seeing him next season.

I never look forward to players that give up the puck to avoid hits. Diaz wouldn't be as bad if he was surrounded by a big defense. Not getting into the Kab debate. Liked by 50% on here,a joke to the other 99% of the hockey world