2012 Trade Deadline Central

dlbalr

Sabres trade Zack Kassian to Vancouver for Cody Hodgson; ALSO - M-A Gragnani to Vancouver for Alexander Sulzer

Most Canucks fans aren't liking this deal I know. I'm in Vancouver and theres more then a few angry Vancouverites.

Impressive deal for Vancouver and Buffalo.

Disappointed Montreal hasn't seemed to move Campoli or Weber.

Honestly, who would want them

Maybe Weber, but Campoli won't even get a contract this offseason from a club...

The 3 players identified as most likely to move were Gill, Moen, and Kostitsyn. 2 of the three were moved, and one was identified by the press as being hopefully re-signed by Montreal. I'll be bummed if Moen doesn't re-sign and the Habs lose him for nothing. As for the other players mentioned, they've barely gotten ice time on a last place team.

So the net result of trades this season:

OUT: Cammy, Spacek, Gill, Kostitsyn

IN: Kaberle, Bourque, Holland, Geoffrion, Slaney, 2 2nd rounders

So can we put to bed talk of the draft pick Spacek was going to get us at the deadline. If he didn't move we shouldn't be surprised by Campoli

Yeah, surprised he didn't move as depth.

I think this was a pretty bizarre deadline. Prices were too high from sellers.

Yeah, surprised he didn't move as depth.

I think this was a pretty bizarre deadline. Prices were too high from sellers.

I think teams grabbed guys they could put directly into top 6 or 4 lines but didn't want 7th d or 13th fwds. Decided those weren't worth even late picks

I think teams grabbed guys they could put directly into top 6 or 4 lines but didn't want 7th d or 13th fwds. Decided those weren't worth even late picks

Story of the deadline right there for me. The old fashioned depth player for late pick deal, something there is a ton of every year, really wasn't there. If you look at the bottom teams, there wasn't a whole lot of selling. Columbus moved a depth guy, the Habs moved one player, Carolina did nothing, the Islanders moved a guy who cleared waivers 2 hours earlier, and Edmonton had the one swap on D but that wasn't a selling move either. I'm a little down that the Habs didn't do more but they certainly weren't the only ones in similar boats that more or less didn't do much.

So PG is the only canadian GM to not hold a press conference on deadline day?

His is at 6:30 PM EST.

the results from today show that the spacek and gill trades were very good for us . nothing happened

Ok, I'm curious. How does today make the Spacek trade very good? Or are you being sarcastic, which would be appropriate.

Ok, I'm curious. How does today make the Spacek trade very good? Or are you being sarcastic, which would be appropriate.

I'm guessing it's along the lines of the Habs got something for Spacek while Carolina couldn't get anything for him.

I'm guessing it's along the lines of the Habs got something for Spacek while Carolina couldn't get anything for him.

True, we certainly did get "something" for Spacek. Ridiculed being one. But that ship has sailed. I hope for the best now. We've got two more seasons of it.

He either was being sarcastic or saying that Spacek couldn't get moved for a pick like some of us have been saying..

I see Brian answered that one first haha

2 more years of Kaberle, sweet eh! I am joking a bit, but overall i am glad he is signed for 2 more, sure he is a bit pricey and a bit soft, but you cant argue with his offense and the experiance the young d-men will need next fall, especially if Tinordi/Ellis or Beaulieu get called up.

And Spacek and Cammalleri were 2 i have crapped on for past 2 years, so am quite pleased both are gone.

I guess no one wanted to trade for Gomez.

Anyways, hopefully Moan will now sign for a fair salary?

2 more years of Kaberle, sweet eh! I am joking a bit, but overall i am glad he is signed for 2 more, sure he is a bit pricey and a bit soft, but you cant argue with his offense and the experiance the young d-men will need next fall, especially if Tinordi/Ellis or Beaulieu get called up.

And Spacek and Cammalleri were 2 i have crapped on for past 2 years, so am quite pleased both are gone.

Yep. I've given my thoughts on Mr. Kaberle. I'm not a fan, but he's here, and we might as well make the best of it.

The Canucks trade was a shock to me. I don't know the guys from Buffalo too well, so who knows, this may turn out to be genius from Gillis. But it seems to me they had a truly unusual luxury in having elite depth a two key positions: Schneider at G and Hodgson at C. They are now depending on Kessler and Sedin to both stay healthy through the playoffs - otherwise they become a one-line team; and they're gambling that a 'potential Milan Lucic' can actually BECOME a Milan Lucic in very short order. The depth on D will help, but I would have tried to move Raymond for a lower-level grinder myself.

i guarantee Moen will be one of the first UFA's signed by another team.he's not coming back,nor should we want him to for anything more than a year or 2.Kab. wouldn't be SO BAD if he was in a big,rugged defense corps,instead of one of the softest in NHL history

Not even being able to garner a 7th for Campoli shows why he was unsigned before the season and what a friggin lame acquisition he was

i guarantee Moen will be one of the first UFA's signed by another team.he's not coming back,nor should we want him to for anything more than a year or 2.Kab. wouldn't be SO BAD if he was in a big,rugged defense corps,instead of one of the softest in NHL history

Not even being able to garner a 7th for Campoli shows why he was unsigned before the season and what a friggin lame acquisition he was

Moen will no question be resigned. Montreal expressed confidence and loyalty in him. We will probably see him signed for 3 years or something, might be a tad long, but no question he will be coming back.

Moen will no question be resigned. Montreal expressed confidence and loyalty in him. We will probably see him signed for 3 years or something, might be a tad long, but no question he will be coming back.

I'd like to put some kind of wager that he's on another team . No way he comes back to this circus.

His injury probably deflated his value and the Habs, seeing this, figured they might as well re-sign a guy who will bring much-needed toughness and veteran leadership. Remember, you can rebuild with youth all you want, but you still need leadership to help bring the kids along. I'm not clicking my heels, but since I'm one of those weirdos who thinks the Habs can retool and come back strong next season, I don't mind keeping the dude around.

His injury probably deflated his value and the Habs, seeing this, figured they might as well re-sign a guy who will bring much-needed toughness and veteran leadership. Remember, you can rebuild with youth all you want, but you still need leadership to help bring the kids along. I'm not clicking my heels, but since I'm one of those weirdos who thinks the Habs can retool and come back strong next season, I don't mind keeping the dude around.

I completely agree, everyone who I talk to talks about Montreal rebuilding, but I really don't think we are in that position. A few additions via FA and letting some kids into the roster next season will make us a competitive team imo.

I completely agree, everyone who I talk to talks about Montreal rebuilding, but I really don't think we are in that position. A few additions via FA and letting some kids into the roster next season will make us a competitive team imo.

Campoli,Weber,Kaberle,Darsche,Moen,Nokie,Budaj and Gomez could all be gone under the right circumsatnce. Replacing 8 players sounds close to a rebuild to me.