Andrei Kostitsyn traded to Nashville

dlbalr

I am really disapointed that Kostitsyn could not get signed here. This team just got worse. We all know what kind of player Kosty is, but I always liked him and I would MUCH rather pay him 3.5 than Bourque from what I have seen. Bourque can check but that's about it. It seems very strange to me that nobody ever gets signed mid season. With Gorges PG said publicly that his signing was an extension of summer negotiations based on his knee and the risks associated with it. I didn't expect much more for Kostitsyn, but I thought it would have brought a prospect as well.

I hate tanking. I can't get excited about our 7 picks in the top rounds. Blecch.

Chances are you werent signing him for 3.5. There is a difference between "i'll take less than market value to stay" and "i'll take 1.25 million less than tuomo ruutu."

Chances are you werent signing him for 3.5. There is a difference between "i'll take less than market value to stay" and "i'll take 1.25 million less than tuomo ruutu."

The problem is there is always speculation with this team. PG won't come out and say "We like what Kostitsyn brings to the team and we tried to extend his contract, but could not get a deal done" No instead we get the Habs snub. How many players get snubbed by this organization?

I'm sitting here listening to Festerling talk and Explain his moves over the last few months. Let's see how the Goat does.

I hope Gauthier is gone but I haven't hated his deals.

He just doesn't seem like the type of GM who has any urgency in him and I'm a little tired of that. Maybe I admire Paul Holmgren too much.

For those saying Montreal got worse, not really. When you balance the amount of goals he gives and the amount of giveaways he causes, you're pretty much ending in a wash. Rene is replacing him and I'm not really happy about that either.

I am really disapointed that Kostitsyn could not get signed here. This team just got worse. We all know what kind of player Kosty is, but I always liked him and I would MUCH rather pay him 3.5 than Bourque from what I have seen. Bourque can check but that's about it. It seems very strange to me that nobody ever gets signed mid season. With Gorges PG said publicly that his signing was an extension of summer negotiations based on his knee and the risks associated with it. I didn't expect much more for Kostitsyn, but I thought it would have brought a prospect as well.

I hate tanking. I can't get excited about our 7 picks in the top rounds. Blecch.

Yeah, 3.5 mil is a B.S. figure. If Kosty signs for that, then yes, we should be angry. But until that moment it is futile speculation and probably wishful thinking. Meanwhile, anyone who has ever bitched about the Habs not trading impending UFAs at the deadline really should shut their yaps about this move. This is what you wanted us to do with Souray, Ryder, Streit, etc., etc. - right?

As for 'the team got worse' - no disrespect, but this made me laugh. Who cares??? This team is a steaming pile of dog poop anyway. So what if we got worse from here to the end of the season? The real issue is how we'll get better for next season, and that will depend on a whole series of moves over the summer. I agree that it would have been nice to get more for Kostitsyn, but listening to the general media reaction, this guy is NOT regarded as anything great around the league, and it is entirely plausible that in a straight-up deal you weren't gonna get much more.

The most insightful comment on this came from Arpon Basu, who pointed out that if Bourque replaces Kostitsyn, we still have to replace Cammalleri. This is 100% correct to my mind. We saved cap space on the Borque deal and will hopefully unload Gomez in some way, shape or form. If we can add a major piece or two this summer Kosty will soon be forgotten. Bourque is probably a slight downgrade from Kosty, but ZERO is a gigantic downgrade from Cammy. We should be thinking about top-6 or top-3 talent here, not fretting over #7 forwards.

And I don't believe he will explode in Nashville. Oh, he may get on one of his hot spells and look great for a few weeks. But I firmly believe that the only way Kosty will ever put up massive numbers is if he is with an elite C. Nashville is a defence-first team without upper-echelon talent down the middle. Expect more of the same from him there.

gaustad + 4th is traded for a first rounder..

am I the only one thinking that kostitsyn > gaustad?

If my team was in the playoffsIi would no doubt take Gaustad over AK. This is a classic move of addition by subtraction. I never liked the trade of Sergei,as even at 20 he played all 3 forward positions,the point on the PP and killed penalties.Things AK never could do. He was immature at 21. Who isn't?

If my team was in the playoffsIi would no doubt take Gaustad over AK. This is a classic move of addition by subtraction. I never liked the trade of Sergei,as even at 20 he played all 3 forward positions,the point on the PP and killed penalties.Things AK never could do. He was immature at 21. Who isn't?

Sergei would have come around for sure but the Habs did not want to wait.

Oh well not like he is the 2nd coming but I agree they could have used him or at least let him get better and sell him high rather than low.

Sergei would have come around for sure but the Habs did not want to wait.

Oh well not like he is the 2nd coming but I agree they could have used him or at least let him get better and sell him high rather than low.

Sergei had no problem playing himself out of the lineup. He went to Nashville, started being an unlistening little Belarussian and Barry Trotz sat him down and told him if he didn't smarten up, he'd make sure he didn't play a hockey game in North America again. That straightened him out, not time.

Even then, Kostitsyn is still a dime a dozen forward in the NHL. Doesn't provide you anything special.

Yeah, 3.5 mil is a B.S. figure. If Kosty signs for that, then yes, we should be angry. But until that moment it is futile speculation and probably wishful thinking. Meanwhile, anyone who has ever bitched about the Habs not trading impending UFAs at the deadline really should shut their yaps about this move. This is what you wanted us to do with Souray, Ryder, Streit, etc., etc. - right?

As for 'the team got worse' - no disrespect, but this made me laugh. Who cares??? This team is a steaming pile of dog poop anyway. So what if we got worse from here to the end of the season? The real issue is how we'll get better for next season, and that will depend on a whole series of moves over the summer. I agree that it would have been nice to get more for Kostitsyn, but listening to the general media reaction, this guy is NOT regarded as anything great around the league, and it is entirely plausible that in a straight-up deal you weren't gonna get much more.

The most insightful comment on this came from Arpon Basu, who pointed out that if Bourque replaces Kostitsyn, we still have to replace Cammalleri. This is 100% correct to my mind. We saved cap space on the Borque deal and will hopefully unload Gomez in some way, shape or form. If we can add a major piece or two this summer Kosty will soon be forgotten. Bourque is probably a slight downgrade from Kosty, but ZERO is a gigantic downgrade from Cammy. We should be thinking about top-6 or top-3 talent here, not fretting over #7 forwards.

And I don't believe he will explode in Nashville. Oh, he may get on one of his hot spells and look great for a few weeks. But I firmly believe that the only way Kosty will ever put up massive numbers is if he is with an elite C. Nashville is a defence-first team without upper-echelon talent down the middle. Expect more of the same from him there.

I should have been more clear I guess. What I meant was that I believe Bourque is a downgrade of Kosty and I would have rather seen a signing of Kosty and a different deal for Cammie. I can't see Kosty getting more than 4 million.

As far as bitching about ufa, I have never bitched about not trading them. I know that wasn't directed at me, but I understood all of thise cases. We were in the hunt for the playoffs then. Overall, I think PG did a poor job with Cammie and Kosty. No complaints on the Gill deal though.

For the record, I believe we wiuld be in the playoff hunt under Martin.

Well, stuck on another trip to Missisauga and been busy preparing for a presentation this morning, heard about the deal early, but was unable to get online.

Terrible deal - about what I expected from PG, so no real surprise. It was pretty obvious from the PG press conference i listened to on hockeyinisdeout, that PG didn't even attempt to find out what AK46 wanted. A 2nd round pick in two years, is a crap return. Also pretty obvious that the deal was linked to the Gill trade and makes the Gill return less then what it was thought at the time.

AK46>Bourque

Cammy>Bourque

But of course guys like the cucamber will naturally say it was a good move, because we don't know what AK46 wanted or that he would have signed for in Montreal for less then $4m. Of course this is the same person who can categorically say that Cammy (who he seemed to love a year ago), is a locker room cancer (because he said a lousy team had a losing attitude and was playing for a coach who sucked). This is consistent with his usual backtracking of feeling that GOmez, was a great trade move, because he was an elite playmaker and that he deserved longer looks, because he "looked good", despite producing like a $3M man. Now of course, when the rest of the world KNOWS Gomez is garbage, the cucamber has finally came around to seeing that Gomez is garbage. Funny how he thought PG was a great GM, but now wants him fired. Great to always jump on the other side of the fence when you are always wrong in your initial judgement. I'm sure when AK46 does become more successful in Montreal, it will have been AK46's fault to the cucumbaer, rather then how AK46 was handled by montreal.

I also love him comparing the complaining of not getting a return for Souray, Ryder and other, when the market was paying through the roof for rentals, to this year, when the market sucked. ANother difference was that the habs actually wanted to resign a one dimensional pylon with a shot like Souray, but didn't want TRY to resign a 20 goal scorer who consistenly is among the team's hit leaders.

Anyways, with PG's briiliant moves this year, he basically reshpes the top 9,for next year by with less then what we started out with. I think this is a deal that comes back to haunt us, while PG's move isn't as stuipid as the SK74 trade to Nashville for two marginal UFA's - two days before they were due to be UFA's, once again, we didn't get equal return. Even though AK46 is going over to a more defensive team (read BETTER defensive team), i think that he is going to an organization with a better coach then Martin, Cunneyworth , Gainey and Carbo, who actually has a track record of developing players, because he knows how to COMMUNICATE with players, something that Carbo and Martin were pretty lousy at and frankly Gainey wasn't a very good coach.

I thought Gainey's first stint behind the habs bench was lousy enough and he didn't do a whole lot better when he took over from Carbo (was about as effective as Cunneyworth has been taking over from Martin, despite the fact that at least he wasn't kicked in the ass by his owner, or the GM - since he was the GM).

gaustad + 4th is traded for a first rounder..

am I the only one thinking that kostitsyn > gaustad?

If Kostitsyn was performing like he was when he was playing on a line with Kovalev and Pleks then you can guarantee he would have fetched alot more. Then again he would not have been dealt.

That being said Kostitsyn is supposed to be a goal scorer but the guy just doesn't score anymore. So ask yourself this which would you rather have for a playoff battle:

6'0, 200 lbs "goal scorer" in a 2 month slump with 12 goals and 12 assists who does not play on the PK and struggles with defensicve responsibility

OR

6'4, 225lbs, Shut down center with 7 goals and 10 assists who is among the league leaders in FO's, an elite PKer and who can stick up for teams.

Let's face it, Ak46 was worth very little because he is uni-dimensional. He's there t score points and when he isn't doing that then there is a problem. Gaustad is really only 5 points less but does so much more for a team.

Well, stuck on another trip to Missisauga and been busy preparing for a presentation this morning, heard about the deal early, but was unable to get online.

Terrible deal - about what I expected from PG, so no real surprise. It was pretty obvious from the PG press conference i listened to on hockeyinisdeout, that PG didn't even attempt to find out what AK46 wanted. A 2nd round pick in two years, is a crap return. Also pretty obvious that the deal was linked to the Gill trade and makes the Gill return less then what it was thought at the time.

AK46>Bourque

Cammy>Bourque

But of course guys like the cucamber will naturally say it was a good move, because we don't know what AK46 wanted or that he would have signed for in Montreal for less then $4m. Of course this is the same person who can categorically say that Cammy (who he seemed to love a year ago), is a locker room cancer (because he said a lousy team had a losing attitude and was playing for a coach who sucked). This is consistent with his usual backtracking of feeling that GOmez, was a great trade move, because he was an elite playmaker and that he deserved longer looks, because he "looked good", despite producing like a $3M man. Now of course, when the rest of the world KNOWS Gomez is garbage, the cucamber has finally came around to seeing that Gomez is garbage. Funny how he thought PG was a great GM, but now wants him fired. Great to always jump on the other side of the fence when you are always wrong in your initial judgement. I'm sure when AK46 does become more successful in Montreal, it will have been AK46's fault to the cucumbaer, rather then how AK46 was handled by montreal.

I also love him comparing the complaining of not getting a return for Souray, Ryder and other, when the market was paying through the roof for rentals, to this year, when the market sucked. ANother difference was that the habs actually wanted to resign a one dimensional pylon with a shot like Souray, but didn't want TRY to resign a 20 goal scorer who consistenly is among the team's hit leaders.

Anyways, with PG's briiliant moves this year, he basically reshpes the top 9,for next year by with less then what we started out with. I think this is a deal that comes back to haunt us, while PG's move isn't as stuipid as the SK74 trade to Nashville for two marginal UFA's - two days before they were due to be UFA's, once again, we didn't get equal return. Even though AK46 is going over to a more defensive team (read BETTER defensive team), i think that he is going to an organization with a better coach then Martin, Cunneyworth , Gainey and Carbo, who actually has a track record of developing players, because he knows how to COMMUNICATE with players, something that Carbo and Martin were pretty lousy at and frankly Gainey wasn't a very good coach.

I thought Gainey's first stint behind the habs bench was lousy enough and he didn't do a whole lot better when he took over from Carbo (was about as effective as Cunneyworth has been taking over from Martin, despite the fact that at least he wasn't kicked in the ass by his owner, or the GM - since he was the GM).

How can you honestly say that Kostitsyn is better than Bourque. How?

Kostitsyn doesn't play on the PK, rarely plays on the PP, struggles defensively and in 6 season has score 20 or more three times, yet only once in his past 3 seasons.

Bourque plays on the PK, rarely plays on the PP, plays well 5 on 5 and in 6 seasons has score 20 or more three times, including each of his past 3 seasons and on pace for a 4th consecutive year this season.

How is Kostitsyn better?

If Kostitsyn was performing like he was when he was playing on a line with Kovalev and Pleks then you can guarantee he would have fetched alot more. Then again he would not have been dealt.

That being said Kostitsyn is supposed to be a goal scorer but the guy just doesn't score anymore. So ask yourself this which would you rather have for a playoff battle:

6'0, 200 lbs "goal scorer" in a 2 month slump with 12 goals and 12 assists who does not play on the PK and struggles with defensicve responsibility

OR

6'4, 225lbs, Shut down center with 7 goals and 10 assists who is among the league leaders in FO's, an elite PKer and who can stick up for teams.

Let's face it, Ak46 was worth very little because he is uni-dimensional. He's there t score points and when he isn't doing that then there is a problem. Gaustad is really only 5 points less but does so much more for a team.

Agreed with this. More teams would add Gaustad for a playoff run than AK.

Ah, this is what I have been waiting for. Well said 29!

I think your dead wrong about most of it, but it was a fun read and the attack on the CC was added bonus entertainment.

Two things seemed to be getting missed on the general (over)reaction to the AK trade yesterday:

1) It was clearly the second part of a multiplayer deal = Gill + AK Rental Package for two second round picks, Baby Boom Boom and some other dude.

2) Gill and AK are rentals! UFAs in a few months. Two seconds + an intriguing prospect is a damn fine return for renting out two non-elite UFAs. This was not a trade for long-term deals with AK or Gill. Nashville will have to pay to make it stick. Those are deals I would probably rather not have on the books in Habsland, given...

The third and most important point, that the CC so rightly highlights, that we need to replace Cammy - an ELITE (which AK is not) forward that's the top priority. Not re-signing the mecurial AK46. He may well thrive in Nashville. I'll be happy for him and his brother. And happy the Habs moved on from their saga.

And this is where I part ways with the CC, who I am disappointed in for flipping to the other side - I believe in the Goat. He has made shrewd move after shrewd move, in my opinion.

Some have characterized his actions this season as panicky. In retrospect, I disagree and discern a long-term plan at work: there has been a consistent shift towards size, grit, youth and offensive hockey, while maintaining speed and defensive strength. The decision was made sometime in Dec to sack JM, and PG did so in the middle of a not so bad stretch of games, using a loss as an excuse. With JM, who is a far superior coach than Cunney (at this stage of their two careers), we would probably be on the bubble right now instead of in last. For PG and Molson, the bubble is rightly not good enough. They took advantage of a moment to set up a situation where they could hire a new, more agressive coach in the offseason, and gave Cunney a shot at the prize of an NHL coaching job, while knowing that he would probably fail horribly and garner the team a high draft position in a deep draft year. It must have been clear in Dec that Markov was not coming back in time to make a real difference, and furthermore that PG did not want to set up a situation where the General would be pressured into action to help make the playoffs and win a few games therein. So, he traded Cammy the whine box next - gutting the offense in the short-term, shedding salary, and shedding a small forward (a must given the unlikely rise of DD and the bright future of Gallagher). This further set up Cunney to fail.

The only part I don't fully get is Kaberle. Perhaps PG saw it as a gamble worth taking - get a player who other teams have paid dearly for in the past 18 months, for nothing (i.e. Spacek). And Kaberle could actually be a great peice of a D puzzle that will include Markov-Emelin, Gorges-PK, Kaberle-XX (insert big tough D acquisition who holds this place warm for a season or two until Tinordi is ready), Diaz and Weber. He is a good second wave PP QB. A little expensive, but not crazyily so. Eventually, he will be replaced by Beaulieu, but we need a veteran presence and another mature puck moving dman in the meantime.

Speaking of crazyly so - Gomez is done here. That will be one of PG's toughest and brightest moments. I suspect we will not know the outcome until after the collective bargaining agreement is negotiated. If there is an amnesty period, Gomer will be dumped. If not, he will be demoted to the A. I have no doubt that he will not be in Montreal next season, despite the fact that I like him as a player more than most seem to. Which leaves the door open to acquire an elite forward, hopefully a centreman, to replace Cammy. And a lot of contract negotiations with our exciting young core!

I still firmly beleive this a very good, on the way to being great, young team that has had a bad season (even so, they are a handful of lost leads and shootout goals away from a playoff birth). The Goat is leveraging that, and setting us up to draft very high. I just hope their pride and skill and the return of their General don't undo his carefully laid plan. The plan is no more bubble years, and I think we will all be happily surprised next season.

Trading AK was a small, but necessary, step along the way.

How can you honestly say that Kostitsyn is better than Bourque. How?

Kostitsyn doesn't play on the PK, rarely plays on the PP, struggles defensively and in 6 season has score 20 or more three times, yet only once in his past 3 seasons.

Bourque plays on the PK, rarely plays on the PP, plays well 5 on 5 and in 6 seasons has score 20 or more three times, including each of his past 3 seasons and on pace for a 4th consecutive year this season.

How is Kostitsyn better?

Yeah it's pretty much a fact that Bourque is better than Kostitsyn. Bourque does everything he does and more. If we must have a player who tends to float sometimes, lets at least have one that can produce.

Trading two UFAs for 2 second rounders (which figure to be high second rounders in a pair of deep drafts) and what we hope will be a solid bottom sixer? An excellent deal. I applaud PG on this one.

AK46>Bourque

Cammy>Bourque

Ah me. Such pent-up hostility from a poster I've always tried to treat with respect.

I'm not sure there's much gain in responding to these sorts of attacks, but I suppose I'd offer the following:

1. I did not say the Kostitsyn deal was a 'good move.' I said it was a bit of a letdown and I'd have like to see more, but that I'm also not sure that too much more was all that realistic. I realize that in Habs29 fantasyland, every player wants to sign in Montreal long-term for minimum wage and other teams are just dying to give us elite prospects/top-end picks for an impending UFA whose career has been resounding in its mediocrity. But since I don't live in that world, my opinions aren't determined by it.

2. I did love Cammy a year ago, mostly for his playoff performances and brash attitude. As far as we can figure, though, he was a key player in a rebellion against Martin. Or perhaps he soured on the organization altogether. Either way, he seems to have been a huge factor in poisoning this season. That soured me on him. That being said, I was never a huge enthusiast of the Bourque trade although I like the extra cap space it frees up. The real point here is that we've replaced Kosty with Bourque and now the truly important work begins, i.e., replacing Cammy.

3. I did love Gomez during the years when he was an elite NHL playmaker, that is, for most of his career. I've always been frank that I had a weakness for Gomez's blazing speed and stylish game. But when he ceased to be an elite playmaker, I stopped loving him as a player. I dunno, that seems reasonable to me. The REAL debate a few years ago was over whether we could stomach a $7-million cap hit for a 60-point C. My willingness to do so was controversial and rightly so. But since the player in question no longer exists, that's a whole other debate.

4. I don't remember ever saying Gauthier was a 'great GM.' When he was hired, my view was agnostic. He had solid but not overwhelming credentials, so I didn't instantly prejudge or hate him; neither did I instantly love him. After two years, a certain body of work is now in place, and while there are a number of defensible moves within that context, he completely failed to offer strong, coherent vision in this crisis of a season. He has also allowed the Habs's reputation for class to degrade substantially. So, I've shifted from having no strong opinion about the guy to concluding that he should be replaced.

There's a common thread running through Habs29's attack, which is that, in his world, you're not allowed to adjust your opinion in light of evidence and changing circumstance. No; you're supposed to either hate or 'love' a player/coach/GM from the get-go and interpret all subsequent events in light of that a priori opinion. But I freely admit that I'm not a prophet who could have predicted that Gomez would completely cease to be a 60-point C (any more than I could have predicted that Jose Theodore would go from being an MVP to a sieve in 2005-06), or that Cammalleri would turn on the organization, or that Gauthier would panic and remove both JM and the player who (apparently) got JM fired. Once those things happened, I adjusted my opinions of the relative actors accordingly. And I'll continue to operate in this way, because ultimately this is the only non-idiotic way to proceed.

I also think that Habs29's interpretations of my comments are routinely distorted by his binary thinking, where the world is broken up into good and bad, black and white, hates and loves. Since I must either love the Kosty deal or hate it, the fact that I give it a lukewarm response means I 'love' it. Since I must either love Kosty or hate him, the fact that I think he's an OK #6 forward means I 'hate' him. Since I must love the GM or hate him, the fact that I initially had no strong opinion means I 'love' him. In fact, I'd argue that I've frequently agreed with habs29, more often than he realizes, but because I frame these opinions in a more provisional and hedged way, that must mean I 'oppose' him.

• Upvote 1

From what I've heard and read, Cammalleri's problem wasn't Martin but Cunnyworth. The two clashed immediately.

Also, all reports said that Nashville and other teams were hesitant in giving a lot up for Andrei Kostitsyn due to his inconsistency. The other problem was that he's an inconsistent UFA. Nashville finally pulled the trigger because I think they wanted Kostitsyn in the Gill deal and this was a way of getting it done. They also wanted to try Andrei in the top six.

I can't wait for when Andrei goes on an eight game scoring tear, people say, "OH ME OH MY!" and then he doesn't do anything for the rest of the year. You know, like Matt "Why did we give him up he's so good!" D'Agostini.

That was fantastic, hab29 and The Cucumber, just brilliant. I can't believe hab29 went straight into an attack, from out of nowhere. The fact that CC easily handled all points doesn't take away from the entertainment value. I'll say this to hab29 though. We both agree on how dumb the Kaberle trade was, and how the team was ridiculed for it. Well, those same insiders revealed in the days leading up to the deadline that AK wasn't worth much. A 2nd round draft pick was about as much as we could hope for. I'd like nothing more than for those media types to be proved wrong. Sadly, in these two instance, they're right.

When is the last time the Habs acquired a 20+ goals scorer for a 2nd pick ?

Just asking there as I don't remember.

Lang had 18 in an injury plagued season but would have definitely scored 20. Kovalev had 23, 35 and 26 and was traded for Balej and a 2nd. Likely the most recent examples.