Some thoughts and hope for next year-potential team as GM and coach.

REV-G

Ok, so since we're out of the playoffs and did virtually nothing at the trade deadline, I would think that at this point most of us are now looking ahead to 4 things regarding out team.

1. Who will replace GM Pierre Gauthier? I can't imagine Molson would try to keep him on for another year so I'm assuming

this will happen, maybe even before the end of the season.

2. Who will the new GM choose as our new coach?

3. How high a pick will we have in this year's draft. If it is in the top 3 we could be looking at a genuine franchise player.

4. The moving out of some players who just have not performed and are likely near the end of their careers. I'm thinking of

at least Kaberle, Gomez and Campoli. Maybe a few more but at least these 3, which would bring a huge amount of cap

space to sign a few really good players to go along with, what I think, is a really good remaining core.

So for me next year does have some genuine hope and expectation.

Since we're already looking ahead to next year give me your thoughts on this team as our GM and coach. Red Fisher sparked this thought in his article in the Gazette.

Would Serge Savard and Patrick Roy make a good team, with Savard the GM and Roy as the coach. My view is that Savard would run the team and be a mentor to Roy and help keep him in line, with the hope that if Roy handles it well he could take over as GM in 3 years or so.

The negatives: is Savard too far removed from the day to day running of the NHL and would this be an old school move?

: would Patrick be controllable? Can he handle the postion during the pressure times and respond well?

: would Patrick be a good NHL coach? Some junior coaches have and some haven't. I think he would.

The postives: Savard did lead us to two Stanley Cups with class and dignity and has done very very well in business.

: Roy is well liked by his players, he has been very successful in running his entire junior team, he is a winner.

: Both men have experience, both speak english and french, both have been champions, both have a

passion for the Montreal Canadiens and both want to win very badly, not stumble along spinning their

wheels. Also, both are media friendly and would likely be very good in commmunicating with the media and

fans.

So, what do you think?

Savard is too far removed from the current hockey world and the CBA and free agency and all that it entails.

My choice continues to be Pierre Lacroix with Patrick Roy as coach/apprentice in a similar style situation as Fischer presents.

Lacroix is just more in tune with the hockey world today than Savard is.

I've read that Jim Nill has something called a non compete clause in his contract. Seems that makes him not available this summer anyway. I'm not a lawyer, but I watched L.A. Law in the late 80's.

I've read that Jim Nill has something called a non compete clause in his contract. Seems that makes him not available this summer anyway. I'm not a lawyer, but I watched L.A. Law in the late 80's.

Even if this is true, which none of us know without seeing his contract; Any clause or even full contract for an NHL exec is negotiable if you pay the Red Wings enough money to agree to waive it. These guys aren't covered under the CBA... so re-negotiation is possible, and no trades for them are allowed.

hahahahahaha

Jmaac1, dig up the article about Mcguire....it's about his time in Hartford...it may let you rethink you're position on him.

I'd love to have Crawford as coach...as to the GM, I don't know enough about them to judge.

Pierre McGuire hands down would be my number 1 choice, the guy is a hockey genius has very good eye for talent, knows what it takes to win. Would do Montreal wonders to bring him in.

I wouldn't want McGuire or Crawford, because they have been in media and I don't know... I don't trust that. Nor do I really like McGuire.

I would love to see Roy in the organization.

Pierre McGuire hands down would be my number 1 choice, the guy is a hockey genius has very good eye for talent, knows what it takes to win. Would do Montreal wonders to bring him in.

Whenever people say this, I wonder how much of Pierre Mcguire they've actually listened to.

The man has a horrible record in the NHL and has spent his time being a reactionary TV/Radio personality because he's trying to weasel his way into a job without doing any of the work.

Bringing in Pierre McGuire would be as dumb as when Leaf fans were petitioning Don Cherry as their next GM.

• Upvote 1

Whenever people say this, I wonder how much of Pierre Mcguire they've actually listened to.

The man has a horrible record in the NHL and has spent his time being a reactionary TV/Radio personality because he's trying to weasel his way into a job without doing any of the work.

Bringing in Pierre McGuire would be as dumb as when Leaf fans were petitioning Don Cherry as their next GM.

I am on your side with this.

Even if most of his antics for TV are a put on I just do not believe he would make wise decision.

I wouldn't want McGuire or Crawford, because they have been in media and I don't know... I don't trust that. Nor do I really like McGuire.

I would love to see Roy in the organization.

Being in the media has helped many ex-coaches in other sports to come back successful

I don't know. You tell me.I don't have a crystal ball.

Wow. I tossed you a softie. Answer would be Marc Crawford. Now, if you meant, "You can find championship coaches in the media, guys who will win you a championship" and are looking toward Pierre McGuire to coach the Canadiens... yikes. We're talking a guy who couldn't even succeed in the ECHL.

Yep, they need winners from a more recent generation then the 70's. They also need a hard a## in yuor face type coach.

I like the way the Avs teams were built and played with Lacroix with Roy goalie.

I think Harlty and crawford were the coaches

After this circus season the organization needs credibility and that is not McGuire.

I'm also supporting the idea of a Pierre Lacroix / Patrick Roy tandem. Would make sense in a lot of ways.

Is Lacroix's health ok, would he have interest of coming here?

If they agree to come, they'll ask for full control and there could be radical changes from top to bottom. And on-ice philosophies change for sure.

Last place in the East would make that kind of overhaul legitimate.

That's what needs to happen for sure.

I think that tandem and some quality assistance will really get the team in gear. They do have alot of good young players. No superstas until this years draft.