Game Day Thread Game 64 its almost over Habs visit Bolts

JMMR

According to Trotz it was because Nashville had other guys up on the depth chart like Wilson and Smith that pushed him down to the minors. It was similar with Lars Eller in his last season with St. Louis but I don't think any of us are complaining.

I was looking more at the season, than Geoffrion himself. I hope he succeeds. But he projects to be a 4th liner. Maybe a 3rd, but that's a stretch.

I was looking more at the season, than Geoffrion himself. I hope he succeeds. But he projects to be a 4th liner. Maybe a 3rd, but that's a stretch.

From what I have found he is projected to be 3rd and the stretch is a 2nd liner.

Malone is always insane when playing against the Habs. Dunno if he's always like that vs other team, but he is scary to me. He makes me think of Dave Manson.

I was wondering the same thing. It's just weird how out of control the guy is against the Habs.

If the habs weren't so soft they could have someone take care of him. Then Malone wouldn't be running around taking people's heads off.

Yeah cause all he needs is one punch in the head and he'll calm down. Its a fallacy. The Claude Lemieuxs, the Steve Otts, the Brad Marchands, they've all been beat up on occassion but they still come back and do their stupid shit. Heck all the tough guys on the Bruins didn't prevent Cooke killing Savard, or Rome concussing Horton, or Jones concussing Bergeron.

If the habs weren't so soft they could have someone take care of him. Then Malone wouldn't be running around taking people's heads off.

That was one sweet hit by Yemelin, i think Malone was almost sick after that one, he just hammered him. But as Cunnyworth said, Yemeln might of waited for a bit better time for pay back.

Any psych expert will tell you anger is always rooted in fear. And a fearful guy like Malone can very easily sucked into dumb penalties and the Habs shot themselves in foot once again and couldnt score, or hardly even get a shot on 5 minute penalty, but any competitive team, like a Detroit, would of made Tampa pay for Malone's childish tantrum.

Have no worry, he will be looking over his shoulder the next time Yemelin is bearing down on him and wont want to be embarrassed like that once more. And Malone if not a big bodychecker, so i think Yemelin has little to fear from him.

I disagree withe the "take care of him" attitude (other than to goad him into dumb penalties), it is an outdated, Don Cherryish and unnecessary tactic, laying the body on em every chance you get is the way to go.

Works in all international competitions/world juniors, NHL playoffs and still have exciting hockey without the brainless acts by the Jody Shelley's of the NHL. Just my 2 cents.

Open ice hits are great. they aren't going to stop anyone from running over price or other teams taking advantage of the soft players on the roster. i love fighting, team toughness, etc.

your entitled to your beliefs, some of us still like tough, rugged hockey. I for one am tired of watching Price get flattened every night and players just skating away with there tail between their legs.

Open ice hits are great. they aren't going to stop anyone from running over price or other teams taking advantage of the soft players on the roster. i love fighting, team toughness, etc.

Remember when Chris Chelios ran over Ron Hextall? Hextall didn't look to his teammates, he took care of things himself.

I'd prefer Price to take care of himself. Referees are much more hesitant to penalize a goalie compared to a dumb defenceman who nets the team a penalty for going crazy on a guy for brushing Price.

I am not talking avbout brushing him, he has been ran over way too much ove rthe past 2 years.

It doesn't matter to me if he steps up and pulls a hextall or smith or Someone does it, it needs to be done.

It's hard enough watching these guys stink it up for 60 minutes, at least have some team toughness. .

And Don, i like Don Cherry, he calls them how he sees them. Can't fault him for that. He is right way more times then he is wrong.

If toughness is so important to wins.... why have 5 of the last 6 Cup Champions played their goons a grand total of 0 NHL Playoff games in the year they won the cup.

Why bench the toughest guy, the guy who deters the other team taking cheap runs at your guys in the most important games of the year, when you are playing the same team back to back for 7 games, when an injury to a star player can change a series? (I don't believe it deters anyone, but you are saying Price will get run less if we have Staubitz or a similar player all season).

I am not talking avbout brushing him, he has been ran over way too much ove rthe past 2 years.

It doesn't matter to me if he steps up and pulls a hextall or smith or Someone does it, it needs to be done.

It's hard enough watching these guys stink it up for 60 minutes, at least have some team toughness. .

And Don, i like Don Cherry, he calls them how he sees them. Can't fault him for that. He is right way more times then he is wrong.

i used to find Cherry funny when i was younger, now it is just sad, or he was a fews years ago when i last heard him! Thank god for RDS-HD!

Are you talking about a selected goon?

i recall Lucic, Thornton palying for the bruins last year. Combined for over 25 fighting majors. They didn't need to fight in the playoffs.

The Flyers had hartnell and Pronger atleast, Chcago had some pretty tough dudes on their team as well.

So if your talking about 1 designated fighter, you are correct. I am talking team toughness and fighting when needed. Lucic, Thornton, heck even the bruins defenseman throw them some times.

The Rangers this year i believe are leading the league in fighting majors. I guarantee Prust will be in the line up for the Rangers

Asa matter of fact, the habs should try and sign Prust to be their 4th line center next year. Put him between Moen and White

The Rangers this year i believe are leading the league in fighting majors. I guarantee Prust will be in the line up for the Rangers

Asa matter of fact, the habs should try and sign Prust to be their 4th line center next year. Put him between Moen and White

I hear Prust is a Habs fan. Commandant has been pushing for the Habs to sign him as well. I think he'd be a great fit with White and maybe Geoffrion.

I hear Prust is a Habs fan. Commandant has been pushing for the Habs to sign him as well. I think he'd be a great fit with White and maybe Geoffrion.

I couldn't believe the Rags picked him up for a 4th rder. Could have been ours.But then Darche would have been out.

For every Rangers at the top of the league there's also a Detroit last in the league.

For every Rangers there is Columbus 4th overall in fights this year.

Studies have been done.

Over the last decade there is zero correlation between # of fights in a season and # of wins

There is also zero correlation between fights and man games lost to injury.

This is how I feel every time someone brings up reasons fighting is necessary.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/npSWe5Waqdc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You like fighting, I don't but dont try and convince me its integral to the game because its not. The best hockey is playoffs, olympics, and world juniors when there is no fights pretty much.

Sure I like a guy who can play a regular shift and be physical on the boards not a goon

• Upvote 1

I couldn't believe the Rags picked him up for a 4th rder. Could have been ours.But then Darche would have been out.

That's because they didn't. He was the other player acquired with Olli Jokinen for Chris Higgins and Ales Kotalik.

That's because they didn't. He was the other player acquired with Olli Jokinen for Chris Higgins and Ales Kotalik.

You're right,just going by another post I read. He was resigned for 2yr$/1.6 as a FA I assume, in July 2010,which means he must be an upcoming UFA if not re-signed

If toughness is so important to wins.... why have 5 of the last 6 Cup Champions played their goons a grand total of 0 NHL Playoff games in the year they won the cup. Why bench the toughest guy, the guy who deters the other team taking cheap runs at your guys in the most important games of the year, when you are playing the same team back to back for 7 games, when an injury to a star player can change a series? (I don't believe it deters anyone, but you are saying Price will get run less if we have Staubitz or a similar player all season).

This doesn't really matter. The Eastern Conference is all about fights. The top teams the Rangers, the Flyers, the Bruins the Penguins all have fighters. There's a distinction between a straight goon like Staubitz and a guy like Wayne Simmonds or Prust. God, even the Senators have Neil, Konopka, Zach Smith, three guys who fight. The bottom teams in the East, the Habs, Carolina, the Islanders, Tampa have a few if no guys that fight. Intensity is what's important teams like Montreal, Tampa and Carolina that aren't remotely physical play boring hockey. Boring to watch and play.

Pittsburgh, Florida and one of Washington/Winnipeg/Toronto will make the playoffs in the East. 3/8 Eastern playoff teams will have less fights than the league average.

Last year Tampa was in the ECF and one goal away from beating Boston and was bottom 3 in fights.

Washington had the most points in the Eas but was 15th middle of the pack in fights.

The Isles were a shit show last year and didn't win a damn thing.

Fighting and wins are not correlated.

The reason Tampa sucks has nothing to do with fights, its cause they have no goaltending and defense.