Game Day Thread Game 64 its almost over Habs visit Bolts

JMMR

I dont like the staged fights where they just fight to entertain the audience but when a few players are so mad at eachother that its either a fight or a spear, slash or ugly check I think I prefer a fight. Believe me, in sweden fighting is followed by suspension for at least 1 game every time u drop the gloves... its not good when one of yer more important players get suspended for showing feelings. Keep the fighting rules but try and get rid of the showfighters.

I dont like the staged fights where they just fight to entertain the audience but when a few players are so mad at eachother that its either a fight or a spear, slash or ugly check I think I prefer a fight. Believe me, in sweden fighting is followed by suspension for at least 1 game every time u drop the gloves... its not good when one of yer more important players get suspended for showing feelings. Keep the fighting rules but try and get rid of the showfighters.

Again i say fighting is not necessary and adds little or even subtracts from the game. If you like fighting watch the UFC where there are professional fighters who do it for a living. If you think it is needed, i dont buy it, Football and Rugby are just as, if not more physical and fighting is banned and totally accepted by all, but has been allowed in hockey cause it sells tickets and can be good for marketing.

But it will be gone soon, and sooner is better.

• Upvote 1

The ideal scenario is to have guys like Lucic who can punish and intimidate while playing lots of minutes.

Having a goon is clearly a distant second-best option. Yet there does seem to be a certain psychological value even to goons, in that we really do hear players (most recently White) saying that they feel more confident, more protected, with those guys in their lineup. Intimidation is a bona-fide factor in this sport. I don't know if the goon will intimidate the opposition but he might help our guys feels less intimidated. If having a goon helps our guys to play a bit bigger in their boots, then that brings value.

The ideal scenario is to have guys like Lucic who can punish and intimidate while playing lots of minutes.

Bingo. We got a guy like that in our system named Jarred Tinordi and the day he's ready to play NHL minutes in his own skin, we're going to seem like a different team.

Having a goon is clearly a distant second-best option. Yet there does seem to be a certain psychological value even to goons, in that we really do hear players (most recently White) saying that they feel more confident, more protected, with those guys in their lineup. Intimidation is a bona-fide factor in this sport. I don't know if the goon will intimidate the opposition but he might help our guys feels less intimidated. If having a goon helps our guys to play a bit bigger in their boots, then that brings value.

The problem with the goon is that he sits on the bench and never gets a shift with your star player.  If someone like Malone, Ott, Avery, Cooke, targets your star, he can't jump off the bench to fight him (thats a ten game suspension) and if the other guy isn't willing to fight we've got the instigator rule too.  The goons might have been effective when Semenko was protecting Gretzky, but the rules have neutered this aspect of the game.

There is something though to be said for team toughness.  There is an aspect to team toughness as well that was lost when we signed Laraque IMO.  The 07-08 team was l of the closest and actually toughest Habs teams since the early 90s IMO, even if they didn't fight a lot. Think about all the blowout regular season games with Boston that year and what happened when the Bruins started gooning it up late.  Even if we had Kostopolous and Begin losing fights, the rest of the team stood up for themselves too, I remember Latendresse, Lapierre, both Kostitsyns, Gorges, Komisarek, Higgins, etc... all these guys getting into fights that year even if we lost them.  It means a lot know your linemate will stand up for you rather than walking away, even if he's likely to lose the fight.  When we got Laraque it was like all these guys now looked at the one guy to handle everything and they weren't gonna be bothered anymore.  It was an identity of that 07-08 team that was lost, and its never fully come back.  I think thats what the team has to develop going forward, not necessarily look for a Staubitz or Laraque to save them at every opportunity.

Guys like Tinordi, Beaulieu, Dietz, and even Gallagher despite his small size, have shown the ability to do that in their junior leagues, so I think its also something we are starting to see happen in the organization.

Bingo. We got a guy like that in our system named Jarred Tinordi and the day he's ready to play NHL minutes in his own skin, we're going to seem like a different team.

I love Tinordi!

Plus the 22nd overall picks have been great lately, Giroux, Max Pac and Eberle... I mean I know its just circumstance... but one can hope that the trend continues!

Also about Laraque, all I remember was Lucic just skating away from him and Laraque having no impact in the games :/

+/- is a flawed stat but at +39 I got a lot of confidence in him. Montreal made the right move in moving up for him. 6'7", 220lbs, one of the nastiest players in the OHL, he'll be everything Mike Komisarek was supposed to be.

:rofl:

Pleks,Gio and Cammi said the same. their opinion matters more than martin,gauthier or the vocal minority of pacifist fans