Habs @ Vancouver, March 10 22:00

sakiqc

ah, but closer to the Islanders. Can you really trust the Islanders to go on a late season tear?

I saw us beat Detroit 6-0, I'm not convinced we are going to go on a tear either based on this one game against a good team.

I just saw Gomez. He's playing tonight?

The question should be WHY has he been PLAYED during the last two years.

The question should be WHY has he been PLAYED during the last two years.

Because despite his outrageous gift of a salary provided by Sather, he's still better than most AHL call ups or bottom 6 players we have on the roster. Short version: we don't have anything better to replace him yet.

Because despite his outrageous gift of a salary provided by Sather, he's still better than most AHL call ups or bottom 6 players we have on the roster. Short version: we don't have anything better to replace him yet.

Seriously????? You don't think Gomez's ELEVEN points can't be replaced????

He's playing because unlike the Rangers and Hawks owners, Molson is too cheap to send him to the minors where he belongs.

What a great game :D :D I saw Habs jerseys all over town today and to have the Habs walk in and clobber the Canuckleheads is extra sweet for me as a Montrealer exiled to Vancouver. I'd almost forgotten how it feels to actually have your team win a game you care about. :thumbs_up:

Two thoughts:

1. Seeing Markov back was special, but seeing him set up Subban on the 5-on-3 was really something. It was almost as though the light-bulb was going off in Markov's head - 'holy crap, can this kid play!' That's the past and the future of the Habs's defence right there. And if we can get them both healthy and fully functioning next season, I think we'll really be in for something special. Magic.

2. Is it just me, or did we push the Canucks around tonight? There were at least 5-6 crushing hits delivered by the team in red and that physicality might be one clue as to why we dominated the third. We saw tonight, I think, a glimmer of where Gauthier wants this team to go: easily the biggest and most physically punishing edition Habs' team since the Burns era. Not that I'm getting carried away; it's just the first time I really saw this potential come together and make a difference.

When you see what Markov means to this team the past two seasons just become so frustrating. Many teams have a guy without whom they struggle: Detroit has Lidstrom, Vancouver has Kesler, Washington has Green, we have Markov. It's just our despicable, god-awful, wretchedly bad luck that OUR guy has had to been hors de combat for two years. But as long as he's out there, we can allow ourselves to hope for brighter days ahead.

Watching After Hours with Max Pacioretty...

I didn't know that his brother in law is Maxim Afinogenov.

Watching as well. I really hope they lock up this guy for a LONG time!!

Three guys i want to see here for the next 10 years - Price, MaxPac and Subban.

Watching as well. I really hope they lock up this guy for a LONG time!!

Three guys i want to see here for the next 10 years - Price, MaxPac and Subban.

They'd be royal idiots NOT to sign those guys long term. They should be our core for the next 10 years.

Price; Subban, Emelin... Eller, Patches..... the foundation is solid, plus another good pick.

Like we said in the other thread...add a veteran defensive defenceman, dump the Baked Alaskan, try to get help on the wing, and Bob's your uncle.

I just can't feel any negativity tonight. That win was so f*****ng sweet. ;)

Price; Subban, Emelin... Eller, Patches..... the foundation is solid, plus another good pick.

I like Eller and love Emelin. But IMO, Price, Subban and MaxPac are the only elite/top tier players we CURRENTLY have.

It would be great if Eller joins that group and we get a top 3 pick AND pick the RIGHT guy!

Does anyone else watch the CBC games online? They've started to implement an HD feed which was terrific. It's not heavily promoted (I think it's in a test run) but I really hope it becomes a widespread feed by the beginning of next season.

Wouldn't it be great if all this time Markov has missed is like an odometer on a car. And he plays until his late 30's, Lidstrom style?

Hey, I'd love to see Markov play into his 40's - hell Chelios knee was supposed to be shot when the Senator moved him for a washed up Denis Savard.

Eller's a tough one. He's obviously a legit NHLer, but is he, in the end, top-6 material? Like Higgins, Perezhogin, Bulis and a few others we've had over th years, it looks like it could go either way.

As for Markov, anything is possible. He could blow out his knee again and be lost forever. He could never quite get the magic all the way back. He could come back strong for 2-3 years then decline. Or he could fully recover and dominate back there until he's 38. It really is anybody's guess at this point.

Like we said in the other thread...add a veteran defensive defenceman, dump the Baked Alaskan, try to get help on the wing, and Bob's your uncle.

I just can't feel any negativity tonight. That win was so f*****ng sweet. ;)

Sorry, I will NEVER forgive Gainey for letting a heart and soul guy like Koivu go, while offering a contract to Gomez. Can you imagine what would have happened if Kovy did accept Gainey's offer and we ended up with Kovy AND Gomez??? It still pisses me off that we have Gomez at $7.3M and Anaheim has Kouvu for around $2.5M and Koivu has out produced Gomez to boot.

I also shudder to think about the other two potential deals Gainey had on the table for Vinny - Pleks/Subban/Price for Vinny or Higgins/Pleks/Subban for Vinny and I think their was a third permutation of the deal I heard as well.

I just can't feel any negativity tonight. That win was so f*****ng sweet.

There are a few veteran defensive D that can help this team available in free agency. On the wing, I only see two guys who could be considered top liners... Parise and Semin

Semin I don't like, he's the definition of enigmatic Russian. Not all Russians are enigmatic, don't get me wrong, I'd take Yakupov in an instant with the top pick, but Semin is NOT a guy I want to give big money too.

Parise would be perfect, but signing him is going to be very, very difficult. Even if he leaves Jersey (and I'm not convinced he will) he'll have about 10-15 suitors, and we saw what happened with Brad Richards.

Shane Doan is actually a third guy who I'd love to get, but thats another tough sign.

After that, the market is really weak this year, I don't know how you get a winger without a trade.

Eller's a tough one. He's obviously a legit NHLer, but is he, in the end, top-6 material? Like Higgins, Perezhogin, Bulis and a few others we've had over th years, it looks like it could go either way.

As for Markov, anything is possible. He could blow out his knee again and be lost forever. He could never quite get the magic all the way back. He could come back strong for 2-3 years then decline. Or he could fully recover and dominate back there until he's 38. It really is anybody's guess at this point.

IMO, Higgins was another mistake. He was also a heart and soul guy. the problem was he was miscast as a top 3, rather then a marginal 2nd liner and GREAT 3rd liner. For all those who say Koivu didn't make players around him better, only have to look at what Koivu did for Higgins. The problem is the fans, media and Gainey were in love with Kovy's skill set, while not appreciating Koivu's heart and soul effort.

Looking for that mcguire article commandant linked

Can someone post

http://articles.courant.com/1994-05-21/features/9405210429_1_pierre-mcguire-whalers-general-manager-paul-holmgren

McGuire said this week that if he was named Habs GM his first move would be attempting to trade for Vinny Lecavalier.

DO NOT HIRE THIS MAN

There are a few veteran defensive D that can help this team available in free agency. On the wing, I only see two guys who could be considered top liners... Parise and Semin

Semin I don't like, he's the definition of enigmatic Russian. Not all Russians are enigmatic, don't get me wrong, I'd take Yakupov in an instant with the top pick, but Semin is NOT a guy I want to give big money too.

Parise would be perfect, but signing him is going to be very, very difficult. Even if he leaves Jersey (and I'm not convinced he will) he'll have about 10-15 suitors, and we saw what happened with Brad Richards.

Shane Doan is actually a third guy who I'd love to get, but thats another tough sign.

After that, the market is really weak this year, I don't know how you get a winger without a trade.

This is where PG really screwed us over. He traded away the biggest chip we had in Cammy and then moved AK46 for a 2nd rounder in 2013. Keeping AK46 and moving Cammy at the deadline or at the draft could have really helped in solidifying the lineup for next year. Instead we have to endure Bourque for 4 more years.

Trading Cammy I agree with you on, it was a mistake.

AK46 wasn't a solution for that spot. No matter what he does in Nashville, he was never going to progress to more than what he was in Montreal, a 20 goal 45-50 pt guy. He wasn't going to become that top line winger. I've seen enough to know he was a solid 2nd/3rd line guy, not the prime winger we need.

http://articles.cour...r-paul-holmgren

McGuire said this week that if he was named Habs GM his first move would be attempting to trade for Vinny Lecavalier.

DO NOT HIRE THIS MAN

I hate Mcquire as a commentator and would hate him even more as a GM. We already have on egotistical idiotic GM in PG. We would just be exchanging the man who can't speak for the man who can't shut up. Both have lousy track records - PG was a pretty lousy GM in Anaheim and McGuire was a disaster in Hartford.