Thoughts on this miserable season..

nickm

I was talking to a friend of mine at work yesterday. He's a Leaf fan (I live in Toronto) and he was telling me he's not surprised the Leafs are collapsing, its typical and in his opinion, the team is built to fail. What he said has pissed him off the most this season is not how bad the Leafs are failing now, but how bad Montreal is doing. And here's why:

He said the Habs are better than their record is showing. They are hurting in the goal-scoring department, but have remained competitive with a solid defensive core to build upon. They'll strike gold with a top 3 pick this year, adding a dynamic talent to the roster, plug a few holes in free-agency, figure out the front office situation over the summer and will be right back in the playoffs next season. No decade long rebuild, just a fluke season that catapults them back around. He also agreed that Carey Price is a stud and if the Leafs had him, they'd be a top 4 team in the East. Whether or not I agree with that last part, I do agree with him in regards our team's outlook.

I dug a little deeper into his theory, too. This year, the Habs have 18 losses/OT losses by 1 goal. 1 measly goal. They also have 7 2-goal losses where the 2nd goal was an empty netter. Thats a team thats right in the game until the bitter end, almost all season long. One or two scorers added (and a top 3 pick will be one of them) plus we get Gionta back healthy next season, that is another 25 goals and leadership. Factor in maybe even Markov on the PP and our record switches around. I know the NHL will add an amnesty clause because too many teams are saddled with bad contracts for the owners to shoot down the idea and bye bye Gomez. All of a sudden, we've got some solid cap space to work with again, with prospects on the horizon.

Looking at things like that, it makes it a little easier to accept such a miserable season. Still disappointing.

I don't know if you agree with me, but thanks for reading.

Cheers!

I think there is a large contingent of Habs fans on this site who agree with you. Not 100% but it does seem to be a popular opinion.

I agree with you too.

I think you merely need to look at the GF/GA of the Habs and of all the teams close to them in the standings to see that we are a much better team than has been shown.

Now as long as we don't win to many games down the stretch we can add that stud pick.

Hey nickm, welcome. I agree with a lot of what you said. We are a much better team than our record shows this year. WIth injuries and coaching changes and as you pointed out all the one goal and late-game losses, I think we should be improved next year.

There are some concerns I still have, as follows:

1. That Molson doesn't keep Gautheir in place and does in fact make a change and bring in a new GM, and who this person will be.

2. Who our new coach will be?

3. I've read that this year's crop of free agents is not very strong at all. We have some real holes that we need to fill, so who can we sign?

4. That there is an amnesty clause and will that allow us to buy out only one player where we need to buy out two [Gomez and Kaberle].

Once these decisions are made, and trusting they are the right ones, then I'll feel more hopeful goling forward.

But If Gauthier returns, and if there is no amnesty clause, then I believe there will still be some major issues that will stay with us. Hopefully not.

How many 45-50 pt dmen do people think there are in the NHL?

Kaberle just needs a steady defensive partner, not Campoli who shares all of his weaknesses in his own zone, but without his great puckmoving ability. Give Kaberle a big crease clearing, shot blocking, tough defensive dman partner next year and we'll all be singing his praises. Mark my words on this one.

I agree nickm - this team isn't nearly that bad, and I can't wait for next season to prove this to be true. new management with top pick, healthy Markov (even of not 100% of the Markov we used to know and love but close), no Gomez, a decent UFA (no star since slim pickings this year), all our young dmen with another year under their belt (Subban, Diaz, Emelin) along with Markov, Kaberle, Gorges & UFA defensive D. this team is just fine! plus, none of what I'm saying is far-fetched! there is no miracle hope in here - closest is that Gomez is actually gone and that the top 5 pick actually has rookie year impact.

2012-13 is gonna be just dandy!

How many 45-50 pt dmen do people think there are in the NHL?

Kaberle just needs a steady defensive partner, not Campoli who shares all of his weaknesses in his own zone, but without his great puckmoving ability. Give Kaberle a big crease clearing, shot blocking, tough defensive dman partner next year and we'll all be singing his praises. Mark my words on this one.

This is bang on!!!! Kaberle has made a lot of great passes guy's should have put home. The problem with a passer is if you are rely on people to finish off your plays if they don't u look like you did nothing on the score sheet.

hey nickm welcome and a very well thought out post. We are one hell of a lot better than our record. If our powerplay had of clicked like normal we would have won at least 10 more games. Add in all the other factors and yeah i really believe next year will be a complete turn around. As to PG and RC well I think poor randy is gone, but I think that because we need some better coaching. I was never a fan of JM but he did a good job and should not have been fired. It was pointless. as was firing pearn. As to PG he will be back next year you can count on it. For staters he did a pretty good job considering all the injuries. He picked up the only available offensive defenceman (Kaberle) who has put up some points but is weak in his own end ths can be fixed see commandant post. Most of the complaints against PG have to do with optics, pulling cammy from the tird period firing coaches on game day, but these are simply circumstances, and of little consequence. Throwing RC under te bus that lacked class but if Randy learns to speak french then he qualifies. I disagree with the haveing to speak french thing so much i could spit. PPPHHT there.Anyway thats my 2cents worth.

We could have a lot of offence from the backend next year with Subban, Kaberle and Markov all threats to put up 45+ points at the back end if healthy.  That's a nice backend that will be a big part of helping put our new draft pick in positions where he can succeed right off the bat.  The good transition game that these three can provide would go great with a guy like Galchenyuk.</br></br>As well, some good coaching and with guys like Cole and Patches who go to the net and Pleks and Desharnais who are good set up guys up front, there is no reason we can't have a dominant PP again next season. In fact our PP over the last month or so has really started to produce, but season long stats won't show that yet.

We could have a lot of offence from the backend next year with Subban, Kaberle and Markov all threats to put up 45+ points at the back end if healthy. That's a nice backend that will be a big part of helping put our new draft pick in positions where he can succeed right off the bat. The good transition game that these three can provide would go great with a guy like Galchenyuk.</br></br>As well, some good coaching and with guys like Cole and Patches who go to the net and Pleks and Desharnais who are good set up guys up front, there is no reason we can't have a dominant PP again next season. In fact our PP over the last month or so has really started to produce, but season long stats won't show that yet.

I agree, man. A healthy and productive Markov (two huge 'ifs') really does change everything. Suddenly Kaberle becomes outstanding third-pairing offensive depth instead of everyone's favourite whipping boy, and suddenly Subban stops being tasked with carrying the team by himself. We'd really be able to roll three offensively defensive dangerous pairings like that. Add Emelin and Gorges, and if you add one solid defensive defenceman, presto, we've got a damned nice blueline. Watch the Ws start to inflate thereafter.

nickm is right. But I think that even if Markov is 100%, we'll still need to add at least one major player up front - preferably a LW. Given Gionta's advancing age and disastrous health this season, we might need two top-6 forwards to really be strong - a tall order for sure, and I'll settle for one top-3 winger myself. Say what you want about Cammalleri, but he leaves a significant void in terms of high end talent on this roster.

I'm done with the Kaberle talk, because we're stuck with him. He's so bad at even strength, hideous in his own end. If we were all watching at a bar, having a few beers, we'd be laughing at his play. I do it in my own circle of friends. If we find a sucker to take him, one thing you'll never read on this site, is that we sure miss him.

For those happy with PG's moves when looked at in "isoloation", note that AK46 in less then two weeks (and in a 1/5th of the games), has about the same numbers and has much more of a positive impact then Bourque has in his 2 or 3 months with Montreal. Not only is Bourque a lousy replacement for Cammy, he is a horrible replacement for AK46.

It makes a big difference playing for a coach who knows how to get the most out of his players and his good with young players.

For those that are were arguing about the cap savings of Bourque over Cammy, I'd rather have Cammy's $6M hit for two years (would have been easily moved at the deadline or the summer anyways), rather then a bum like Bourque for another 4 years at $3.5M, or how much ever the brain dead, lazy ass bum is getting paid.

Geofferion looks to me like a 4th liner. Holland is a putting up good numbers in the WHL but is an over age player, playing with good players, so who knows if that means he has the potential to be a 2nd/3rd liner, or will be under a long line of 3rd/4th liners that montreal is good at drafting and trading for.

Campoli looks worse each game. When I brought up his big giveaway with the hawks at the start of the year, I was rebuked that that was a single play. Well, I've seen around 60 or 70 of those "single plays" from him this year. The guy is about as plays a dogshit game and is so soft, that he would probably get knocked off the puck and would be a pylon in a ten year-old girls' league.

I don't care if Kaberle scores 70 points with us, because, the pylon would still be a minus player. The guy is a softer then a marshmellow. There is a reason Rutherford said "I should have known better" and why no other team wanted anything to do with Kaberle and his stupid contract. Funny how unlike people on this site, no other GM thought that a 45-50 point Dman was worth $4.3M, even if it meant giving up nothing more then a 7th dman like Spacek to get him.

He has made exactly one good move as a GM - signing Cole. I still think the Halak trade was idiotic. When the deal was made, I said that it didn't matter if Eller scored 40 goals, in his first year, bottom line is, PG should have been able to get more for the biggest hero of the 2010 playoffs. Bottom line, is from the deals that PG has made, he seems to move guys to out of conference teams where he won't be embarrsed when a deal blows up in his face.

I agree, man. A healthy and productive Markov (two huge 'ifs') really does change everything. Suddenly Kaberle becomes outstanding third-pairing offensive depth instead of everyone's favourite whipping boy, and suddenly Subban stops being tasked with carrying the team by himself. We'd really be able to roll three offensively defensive dangerous pairings like that. Add Emelin and Gorges, and if you add one solid defensive defenceman, presto, we've got a damned nice blueline. Watch the Ws start to inflate thereafter.

nickm is right. But I think that even if Markov is 100%, we'll still need to add at least one major player up front - preferably a LW. Given Gionta's advancing age and disastrous health this season, we might need two top-6 forwards to really be strong - a tall order for sure, and I'll settle for one top-3 winger myself. Say what you want about Cammalleri, but he leaves a significant void in terms of high end talent on this roster.

Zach Parise, anyone?

Well, if we draft in the top three and pick a winger, he may be able to step in. It'd be crazy to expect any rookie to dominate, but a top-end rookie talent can sometimes add a lot to a roster. But I agree, Parise is just what the doctor ordered and nearly impossible to sign. Still, one of these days a truly supersonic UFA has to sign with us, right?

I still wonder if DD can fill that void at wing.

DD - Pleks - Cole

Patches - Rookie - Gionta

Bourque - Eller - Leblanc

Although it does look better like this

Parise/Doan - Pleks - Gio

Patches - Rookie - Cole

Bourque - Eller - DD

If we go wing, Forsberg is the guy we take, IMO...

This draft is uncharted waters for me...lol

I'm lost...I really don't want to screw up this chance at picking up a franchise type of player...I hope we go 2 for 2 (Price)

DD - Pleks - Cole

Patches - Rookie - Cole

Bourque - Eller - DD

I love the size on our wings..I would leave DD at Center..Parise is under 6', but weighs 200 lbs. so his height is moot...Talk about a pipe dream though..lol

Edited by Blonde Demon

It'd be nice to have experimented for a sustained period of time with DD on the wing this season, just so we have some evidence of how that might work. Might be too late now.

DD has kinda won me over as a legitimate 2nd-line C. I can live with him and Pleks down the middle provided we upgrade seriously on the wing.

DD - Pleks - Cole

Patches - Rookie - Cole

Bourque - Eller - DD

I've been saying since last year's playoffs that DD belongs on the wing. he looked really good on the wing until he got hurt. Hell if he and eller didnt go down, who knows, we may have beaten Boston.

Zach Parise, anyone?

Would love to have him, but no way in hell he would sign with Montreal given his options.

If we go wing, Forsberg is the guy we take, IMO...

This draft is uncharted waters for me...lol

I'm lost...I really don't want to screw up this chance at picking up a franchise type of player...I hope we go 2 for 2 (Price)

I love the size on our wings..I would leave DD at Center..Parise is under 6', but weighs 200 lbs. so his height is moot...Talk about a pipe dream though..lol

but yakupv who is 5'11 190 at the age of 18 is too small for the NHL?

but yakupv who is 5'11 190 at the age of 18 is too small for the NHL?

lol, yes, he is, but Parise has proven he can play the NHL game..Yakupov, as good as he is, is just a prospect..Do you want to take a risk on a smaller player in the lottery position? Nail hasn't proven that he can play in the bigs, just yet..

I never said the kid doesn't have the talent, just mean I wouldn't pick him 1st overall..