Thoughts on this miserable season..

nickm

lol, yes, he is, but Parise has proven he can play the NHL game..Yakupov, as good as he is, is just a prospect..Do you want to take a risk on a smaller player in the lottery position? Nail hasn't proven that he can play in the bigs, just yet..

I never said the kid doesn't have the talent, just mean I wouldn't pick him 1st overall..

No 1st overall NHL draft pick had ever proven himself in the bigs when they were drafted. Think about it. You are literally putting the carriage on top of the horse, and strapping it to an ass walking backwards.... Or whatever that crazy english expression is (I always screw those up.)

We could have a lot of offence from the backend next year with Subban, Kaberle and Markov all threats to put up 45+ points at the back end if healthy. That's a nice backend that will be a big part of helping put our new draft pick in positions where he can succeed right off the bat. The good transition game that these three can provide would go great with a guy like Galchenyuk.</br></br>As well, some good coaching and with guys like Cole and Patches who go to the net and Pleks and Desharnais who are good set up guys up front, there is no reason we can't have a dominant PP again next season. In fact our PP over the last month or so has really started to produce, but season long stats won't show that yet.

Yeah, and two of those players could be (given they are healthy and have decent-to-good seasons) considered all-world defensively. For a 28th place team, things are rosy as shit.

• Upvote 1

Does anybody actually watch Kaberle play? For **** sakes, get over his 40 points per season.

As a solitary player Kaberle is useless in his own zone and great in the offensive zone. Hockey isn't a solitary sport. All the time's Kaberle is on the ice when he's scored on who is his pairing? Camopli? Weber? Diaz? Notice how Kaberle looks bad when he's out there with a player just like him, useless in his own zone. All we need is a cheap stay at home defenseman to go with Kaberle and there won't be any talk about how bad he is. Mark my words.

Pick up a Mike Commodore or Bryce Salvador or Shane O'Brien for example, pair them with Kaberle and all of a sudden you have a good 3rd pair and Kaberle doesn't look so bad. Commodore is only getting 1m this season and is a big defensive body.

It's not all about how bad Kaberle is, it's also about how bad his partner is.

• Upvote 1

As a solitary player Kaberle is useless in his own zone and great in the offensive zone. Hockey isn't a solitary sport. All the time's Kaberle is on the ice when he's scored on who is his pairing? Camopli? Weber? Diaz? Notice how Kaberle looks bad when he's out there with a player just like him, useless in his own zone. All we need is a cheap stay at home defenseman to go with Kaberle and there won't be any talk about how bad he is. Mark my words.

Pick up a Mike Commodore or Bryce Salvador or Shane O'Brien for example, pair them with Kaberle and all of a sudden you have a good 3rd pair and Kaberle doesn't look so bad. Commodore is only getting 1m this season and is a big defensive body.

It's not all about how bad Kaberle is, it's also about how bad his partner is.

With Diaz healthy, I wouldn't mind some combinations like :

Subban - Gorges

Kaberle - Markov

Emelin - Diaz

Weber

Looking at the standings and were ONLY 4 pts behind the mighty leafs...........

Is there something wonky going on with the fonts? It seems to defualt me to the smallest size............................................

Neither of Kaberle-Markov have ever played on the right side at ES in their careers.

However you line em up, i like the d-core and depth prospects, i wouldnt waste another dime on signing another Campoli/Sopel/Mara type "Vet d-man" and would put all "extra" cash in adding an all-star scorer up front on July 1st if at all possible.

However you line em up, i like the d-core and depth prospects, i wouldnt waste another dime on signing another Campoli/Sopel/Mara type "Vet d-man" and would put all "extra" cash in adding an all-star scorer up front on July 1st if at all possible.

I can agree with that. Unless there was a guy available who shouldn't be and he wanted to play for the Canadiens, I'd say St. Denis will be fine in a seventh D role.

I think the GM will do his best to get an all-star, won't do it and settle for some free cap money and smart role players like Prust.

Try hitting Ctrl-0

thats zero the number, not the letter o

haha for myself that switchs the keyboard from English to French and back :P

Edit: On second thought maybe Gauthier's coaching change was a typo of that nature.. his keyboard switched up on him and he ended up hiring Cunnyworth before noticing the language changed :P

Neither of Kaberle-Markov have ever played on the right side at ES in their careers.

Fawk. I'd like to see one of Markov or Gorges paired with Kaberle.

Fawk. I'd like to see one of Markov or Gorges paired with Kaberle.

Gorges has played the right-side, and done quite well there.

Next season, assuming Markov's knee holds up... is there any reason to not have Subban and Markov together?

Next season, assuming Markov's knee holds up... is there any reason to not have Subban and Markov together?

Well that would be sweet.

Markov - Subban

Kaberle - Gorges

Emelin - Diaz

Weber

Of course, this is on paper assuming no one is badly hurt to start the season...

I just don't think Kaberle fits well into this roster..

Wish we could move him and get a physical bottom pairing guy and move Emelin up with Markov

I don't like putting all your offence on one pair. I like spreading it out. I'd also sign one UFA who is a defensive D, and who can clear the front of the net and shut down a cycle game. He doesn't even have to be that expensive.

Gorges - Subban

Markov - Emelin or UFA

Kaberle - UFA or Emelin

Extra - Diaz

If the UFA plays the left side instead of the right, you can always put Gorges on the right with Markov, and the UFA with Subban.

This gives one elite Puck Mover on each pairing so that we can always push our transition game and offence, and you can put Markov-Subban together for PPs.

I don't like putting all your offence on one pair. I like spreading it out. I'd also sign one UFA who is a defensive D, and who can clear the front of the net and shut down a cycle game. He doesn't even have to be that expensive.

Gorges - Subban

Markov - Emelin or UFA

Kaberle - UFA or Emelin

Extra - Diaz

If the UFA plays the left side instead of the right, you can always put Gorges on the right with Markov, and the UFA with Subban.

This gives one elite Puck Mover on each pairing so that we can always push our transition game and offence, and you can put Markov-Subban together for PPs.

That too.

I think that would be a great pairing.

Long term, I agree. Its eventually gonna be a steady pairing. I just think that there might be moments next season where Emelin is moved down the lineup or even to the pressbox for a game or two. Sophomore slumps have happened to a lot of D lately. I hope he avoids it due to his age and experience in the KHL, but I wouldn't be 100% sure.

They are two very different types of offence though. Markov looks for the early pass, Subban tends to carry longer and is a threat to go end to end.

Also, does this team have enough offense to warrant an above average puckmover on each line? Is there really anything wrong with a truly defensive, shutdown, 3rd pairing with average puck moving ability? (Ex. Gorges-Emelin)

They are two very different types of offence though. Markov looks for the early pass, Subban tends to carry longer and is a threat to go end to end.

Also, does this team have enough offense to warrant an above average puckmover on each line? Is there really anything wrong with a truly defensive, shutdown, 3rd pairing with average puck moving ability? (Ex. Gorges-Emelin)

If thats your third pair it means Kaberle is a top 4 dman. Kaberle is going to be on the third pair.  He cant be in the top 4.  I like Kaberle as much as anyone here, but you have to limit his 5 on 5 minutes

If thats your third pair it means Kaberle is a top 4 dman. Kaberle is going to be on the third pair. He cant be in the top 4. I like Kaberle as much as anyone here, but you have to limit his 5 on 5 minutes

That's the problem. A 4.25 million dollar cap hit, and he's 5/6 on the teams depth chart. He has to have his even strength time limited, the team has to match him with a partner that can overcome his defensive liabilities. He play's soft, and has no shot to speak of. Commandant, you're good at this stuff, a valuable contributor. But when you defend him, you make the argument for the people who dislike him. Now if you come clean, and say your defense of him is because we're stuck with him, and you're trying to be a glass half full type of guy, then I understand.

If thats your third pair it means Kaberle is a top 4 dman. Kaberle is going to be on the third pair. He cant be in the top 4. I like Kaberle as much as anyone here, but you have to limit his 5 on 5 minutes

Trades happen... but I guess just focus on the words "shutdown pair." Is there really anything wrong with that on this team? I don't think so.

Grab a veteran #6 D, purely defensive with size, mean, tough, dirty and who can stay below 150 PIMs. With Hal Gill-type offensive skills, should be able to find something along those lines for around 2 mil. Just a warrior. That's what the D corps in their present configuration would need, I think. That would let the pretty boys dance.

That'd also mean Weber and Diaz as #s 7 and 8, and they're so alike, trade scenarios should be explored with those two.