Will Carey Price Stay With Habs?

First off, welcome to the boards.

Price is a pending restricted free agent which means he doesn't have a whole lot of leverage to jump ship. He could sign an offer sheet but with the offer sheet compensation for what it would cost for him to sign, I think a lot of teams would balk. Sure, having a buddy like Gorges may help him to sign longer term but short of straight up demanding a trade and holding out (pretty rare in recent years), I expect his next contract will be signed with Montreal.

He's been anointed the Franchise Goalie here, every move this team has made for 5 years now (sending Halak away from the bulldogs so Price could start in 2007, trading Huet in 2008, trading halak in 2010, changing goalie coaches) all of this has been done with the goal of making Carey the face of the franchise.

He knows it and management knows it.

He's going nowhere.

By all accounts he loves the city, the pressure and his teammates.. Montreal will be giving him the money he wants because as Commandant has said. He is the franchise goalie and in many respects the face of the team and our best player.

I wouldn't say this is a slam dunk. With front office circus, if price doesn't like the direction if changes the habs make in the offseason, I could see him only signing until he is a UFA, so he can move on where he can win.

He's been anointed the Franchise Goalie here, every move this team has made for 5 years now (sending Halak away from the bulldogs so Price could start in 2007, trading Huet in 2008, trading halak in 2010, changing goalie coaches) all of this has been done with the goal of making Carey the face of the franchise.

He knows it and management knows it.

He's going nowhere.

I wouldn't say this is a slam dunk. With front office circus, if price doesn't like the direction if changes the habs make in the offseason, I could see him only signing until he is a UFA, so he can move on where he can win.

We have to see what we do in the offseason before saying this isn't a place where he can win.

First off, welcome to the boards.

Price is a pending restricted free agent which means he doesn't have a whole lot of leverage to jump ship. He could sign an offer sheet but with the offer sheet compensation for what it would cost for him to sign, I think a lot of teams would balk. Sure, having a buddy like Gorges may help him to sign longer term but short of straight up demanding a trade and holding out (pretty rare in recent years), I expect his next contract will be signed with Montreal.

I would agree with you. he will sign here because they will give him like 7 million a year and i am not to sure there would be to many teams willing to do so. beside this is his team and i do believe he want to prove the team made the right choice to stick with him.

We have to see what we do in the offseason before saying this isn't a place where he can win.

Agreed. I think we've got a good team.......wait for it.. .I thought we improved early in the year over the year before. With the Cammy whammy, I am less sure of that , but don't know for sure on that one either.

I think we have a good team next , year. Why not?

There's no doubt in my mind that Carey will sign a long term contract with the habs soon. Commandant said it earlier, Carey is our franchise goalie. He's not going anywhere.

Yes price will remain a Hab unless a GM comes in with some crazy ridiculous contract and offers him in the area of $8 million or more per season.

no more then 6 mill

Will he stay? None of us know. I hope he does. I'm of the belief that he's great, a building block, as the team goes forward. What does he expect to be paid? If he turns down a 6 million dollar offer, and signs elsewhere, it'll suck. But if that were to happen it would certainly free up a lot of money. Halak makes 3.75 million, Jimmy Howard even less. Different teams, and circumstances, but they're both preparing for long playoff runs.

• Upvote 1

I find the question silly. It speaks to some weird insecurity among Habs fans. Price has never, ever given anyone even the slightest hint that he does not want to stay in Montreal. When Halak emerged reports quoted Price as saying that 'he wants to do it [i.e., win] here,' and that he was ecstatic to be the guy the Habs had chosen. He has great friends on the club and is a leader in that room. He has seen the worst Montreal can dish out and taken it with style. He has consistently shown an affinity for Habs' history and likely thinks of himself as being on a continuum with Dryden, Roy, etc.. None of this means he'll take a hometown discount, but it *does* mean that, if we make him a competitive offer, he will almost certainly stay. Chill out.

Pekka Rinne got seven years at $7M per. Likely around what I'd pay Price.

While Rinne's stats may partially be blustered by the system he is in... his numbers have been much better then Price and has been up for the Vezina a couple times.

I'd say 6M is a good guess.

While Rinne's stats may partially be blustered by the system he is in... his numbers have been much better then Price and has been up for the Vezina a couple times.

$6 M seems fair. It might be wise to do a short-term deal, though, given that we don't know what the new CBA will be like.

Of course, if he does sign a one-year deal there will be howls of outrage from the usual quarters, no matter how wise a move this for all concerned.

Taxes are cheaper in Tennessee and Price is more important to Montreal than Rinne is to Nashville. All factors that the Habs should sweeten the pot instead of attempting to shortchange him.

$6 M seems fair. It might be wise to do a short-term deal, though, given that we don't know what the new CBA will be like.

Of course, if he does sign a one-year deal there will be howls of outrage from the usual quarters, no matter how wise a move this for all concerned.

I don't think you can sign Price for one year, I think, regardless of the CBA it needs to be a multi year deal just to show commitment. (even though the organization has shown plenty)

Taxes are cheaper in Tennessee and Price is more important to Montreal than Rinne is to Nashville. All factors that the Habs should sweeten the pot instead of attempting to shortchange him.

I so disagree with saying price is more important to us then rinne is to his team. Goalie for goalie i would take rinne. price is young as well and gives us a chance to win and can handle the pressure.

I so disagree with saying price is more important to us then rinne is to his team. Goalie for goalie i would take rinne. price is young as well and gives us a chance to win and can handle the pressure.

Without Price we would be even worst. Without Price we would make Columbus look like a hockey club. He has single handily kept us in games all season. If you saw Price in Nashville he would be up for a Vezina not Rinne. Plus as you have said. Price can handle and loves the pressure of playing in Montreal.

Nashville would be fine with another goalie, their system works well for goalies. We, on the other hand, wouldn't be fine with a goalie of lesser calibre. This makes Price more valuable.

*looks at avatar*

*looks at posting history about Price*

*disregards opinion on Price*