Now that it's happened, let's ask for real, who will be our GM?

REV-G

Only thing with Luc is that he's only worked on the business end of things in LA and hasn't been involved in hockey OPs.

Hextall has a really nice resume for a hockey exec, but is probably not bilingual. I look at this as a good thing, means they will consider all candidates.

Only thing with Luc is that he's only worked on the business end of things in LA and hasn't been involved in hockey OPs.

Hextall has a really nice resume for a hockey exec, but is probably not bilingual. I look at this as a good thing, means they will consider all candidates.

Lombardi's job as GM might be in jeopardy following a quick exit in the 1st round, along with a shakeup in management.

It may also only be extrapolation from the journalists in L.A., in the same way we would say Timmins would make a good candidate in such town, etc

Since Robitaille refused to comment the story and Molson said the list of candidates will remain confidential, I don't know where that information came from (multiple discussions).

The only thing we know for sure is the candidates who don't want to be considered or don't want to be called by the media every. Any other talk is speculation, and there will be lots of it until the nomination.

The tweet on hextall and Robitaille came from Helene O'Thelan, a very well respected member of the LA media covering both the ducks and kings.

She's reliable and broke things like the Carter trade.

interesting then.

Difficult to retain confidentiality nowadays..

So Montreal is interested in Luc Robitaille and Ron Hextall? Media should have a field day with Ron: http://articles.philly.com/1992-06-25/sports/26029647_1_flyers-goalie-ron-hextall-flyers-and-rangers-steve-mountain

Although the emotional 28-year-old goalie was unavailable for comment, his agent, Steve Mountain, said yesterday that Hextall was "scared to death" at the possibility of being traded to Quebec.

Mountain said he was not even sure Hextall would report to the Nordiques if the arbitrator rules that the Flyers get Lindros and, of course, if Hextall is in the package.

"Ron will be a very unhappy pup if the Flyers win this thing," Mountain said. "The possibility of him having to take his family to a French-speaking city and sending his three children to French-speaking schools has him scared to death."

Asked if Hextall would refuse to report to Quebec if traded there, Mountain said: "That's a question that can't be answered now. All I've told Ron is to try and relax. But he's out there dangling with a lot of other players, and it's traumatic for him."

It appears that Hextall, who has three years plus an option remaining on his contract with the Flyers, would have no other choice but to report to Quebec if he wants to continue playing. However, his celebrated contract holdout two years ago suggests that he's a strong-willed person.

Quebec's cultural differences and the province's high taxes make Quebec City an unpopular place to play for many.

By all accounts Montreal is casting its net widely, and this is to our credit. Hextall is a very credible assistant GM and I for one am happy to see that we're giving all possible contenders a shot at the title. That being said, I'd be absolutely shocked if the final choice is not bilingual.

By all accounts Montreal is casting its net widely, and this is to our credit. Hextall is a very credible assistant GM and I for one am happy to see that we're giving all possible contenders a shot at the title. That being said, I'd be absolutely shocked if the final choice is not bilingual.

Same here. It's also nice that we're hearing news from people who are turning down the job like Nill. I would have liked Jim but if he has no interest in the job he has no interest in the job. Better it to leak than not or else we'd have to deal with every mistake by the next GM leading to, "WE DIDN'T TALK TO ANYONE WHO DIDN'T SPEAK FRENCH SO WE CRIPPLED OUR OWN SEARCH"

Personally, I want young blood in there..I like hearing names like Robitaille and Hextall..Sure, there isn't a long list of GMs who were great NHL players, but how many actually had a shot at a job because of their inexperience..

I hear the Yzerman deal..Saying he was a great player and can't get TB into the playoffs..Well, Lawton had a lot to do with that..Yzerman is just trying to fix his mess...Give the guy some time..

I like Hextall

I don't like Robitaille. 0 experience in hockey operations for management. He's been in the marketing department for the Kings but 0 experience making hockey decisions. I don't think I'd like him in the GM chair, but maybe something lower.

I understand where you are coming from, but he will have Savard as a consultant..So it wouldn't be just throwing the guy to the wolves, per say...

Just what was said earlier, I like the fact that they are scouring the NHL for a candidate and not just bringing in the best FRENCH speaking guy to do the job..

I'd just say other first time GMs with some hockey experience, who are also former players. Guys like Marc Bergevin, Patrick Roy, and Claude Loiselle would be above Robitaille on my list.

..and I wouldn't be against any of them getting the job..All are younger guys and bringing any of them in would be a great move, IMO..

FInd a way to get Ken Holland to come here...I want the best and I don't care that he's under contract till 2015.

Open the bank and find a way to bring in the best GM of the past decade...and arguably one of the best since expansion.

The only thing I wonder with that is does the Detroit owner need money? He just felt comfortable shelling out over $200 million for Prince Fielder so the ownership must have the money. The point is, opening up the vault probably wouldn't work...not to mention the possible lawsuit to follow for talking to an executive that the Wings didn't allow permission for the Habs to speak with.

The only thing I wonder with that is does the Detroit owner need money? He just felt comfortable shelling out over $200 million for Prince Fielder so the ownership must have the money. The point is, opening up the vault probably wouldn't work...not to mention the possible lawsuit to follow for talking to an executive that the Wings didn't allow permission for the Habs to speak with.

Detroit definitely has money. Not only that, but they treat executives very well.

So we got a real interesting one, I think.

http://www.startribu.../147621605.html

]Blair Mackasey has worked for the Wild for six seasons, originally hired by Doug Risebrough as director of pro scouting. He came to the Wild from Hockey Canada. Before that, he scouted for the Phoenix Coyotes. He's coached, he's managed, he's scouted and, most cool, he played catcher in the organization of my favorite team, the Montreal Expos. Just a great guy and he lives in Montreal.[/size]

Could be a real diamond in the rough.

Oh, I get that Detroit may not want or let the Habs talk to him...I was more referring to opening the vault if they got permission.

Not sure what it would take to get that permission and I suspect money would have little to do with it. Often teams give permission to talk to guys when there is an opportunity for that persons career advancement...not really the case with Holland since he's also the Executive VP.

Don't ask, don't get...

Oh, I get that Detroit may not want or let the Habs talk to him...I was more referring to opening the vault if they got permission.

Not sure what it would take to get that permission and I suspect money would have little to do with it. Often teams give permission to talk to guys when there is an opportunity for that persons career advancement...not really the case with Holland since he's also the Executive VP.

Don't ask, don't get...

Absolutely, it's worth an inquiry. I'd be shocked if it got any further than that.

I'm intrigued by the resume of the latest confirmed candidate in Blair Mackasey, good all-around hockey background... and yes, il parle le français.

Not sure. You'd think they'd wait to see if LA or San Jose or other 1st round playoff disappointments are going to make a management change but it has been talked about by a few people today on TSN 990.

Not sure. You'd think they'd wait to see if LA or San Jose or other 1st round playoff disappointments are going to make a management change but it has been talked about by a few people today on TSN 990.

Grain of salt, Willey. Take it all with a grain of salt.

Grain of salt, Willey. Take it all with a grain of salt.

I hope someone like Wilson is let go. I would love to see him as a the GM. I know San Jose has never really lived to potential but he created a great team.