Your favorite hockey/sports numbers.

JoeLassister

Looking at Dumont wearing # 37, I almost puked. I despise numbers in the 30s, except #33.

For some reason, I like 11-22-33-44,etc.

And for X reason, I hate pretty much every numbers in the 30s and 50s.

My top 5 favorite numbers, in order, are :

I also like 97, 93, 27, 17 and 7.

What about you ?

I always tried to wear either 21, 25 or 26. 21 and 25 because Vincent Damphousse wore them. 26 because I grew up dreaming I'd one day be Vinny's left winger and in that role was Rucinsky and he wore 26.

I really liked it when Latendresse wore 84.

I find any odd number between 43 and 69 seems strange but even numbers between 70 and 98 seem strange as well. Dunno why. I'd rather see a player wear 54 or 87 but not 47 or 72.

Actually, I think I'm not a fan of the number 7 in any form.

Zany question. My view is, the lower the better. I'm old school. If you're gonna go for a higher number, it had better be a snazzy one. 77 is very cool in particular.

THE number of all time is #9: the Rocket, Mr. Hockey, the Golden Jet - it's a shame that subsequent generations of superstars abandoned the tradition of sporting this number. It used to be almost a standing announcement that you were THE MAN.

Zany question. My view is, the lower the better. I'm old school. If you're gonna go for a higher number, it had better be a snazzy one. 77 is very cool in particular.

THE number of all time is #9: the Rocket, Mr. Hockey, the Golden Jet - it's a shame that subsequent generations of superstars abandoned the tradition of sporting this number. It used to be almost a standing announcement that you were THE MAN.

in other sports as well, I think

9 seems to be the most popular one. Not a shocker since we're on a Habs forum.

But my "love" for #9 comes more from Paul Kariya than the Rocket... ;)

9 seems to be the most popular one. Not a shocker since we're on a Habs forum.

But my "love" for #9 comes more from Paul Kariya than the Rocket... ;)

I always thought Kariya should have been a Hab. Fast, flashy, stylish, smallish, classy player - he was the prototype, really, except for not being French.

20 because thats the only number Ive ever worm when playing my only hockeygame (fungame with work, included some old swedish hockeypros like Jonas Bergqvist, Anders Carlsson and Per-Erik "Pelle" Eklund)

I really suck at playing hockey but DAMN it was fun.

This is one of those topics I never really understood. I can understand your attachment to a number if one of your favorite players wore it or it bares some personal significance, but other than that I don't get this attachment to numbers. When people complain about players not picking 'good hockey numbers', it drives me crazy.

This is one of those topics I never really understood. I can understand your attachment to a number if one of your favorite players wore it or it bares some personal significance, but other than that I don't get this attachment to numbers. When people complain about players not picking 'good hockey numbers', it drives me crazy.

Maybe you don't "get numbers", but look at Geoffrion's 57 and tell me... If you want to follow in the footsteps of your grandfather and great grandfather who played for the Habs and had their jerseys #5 and #7 retired, what number would you wear if you want to honour them and continue the tradition?

If you don't "get numbers", you probably think 57 is perfect.

Otherwise, you would have probably proposed #6

As a kid, I've often pictured myself receiving the first star at the Bell Centre (Forum). I never wanted to be called out by Michel Lacroix with the number 59 for example...

]

Maybe you don't "get numbers", but look at Geoffrion's 57 and tell me... If you want to follow in the footsteps of your grandfather and great grandfather who played for the Habs and had their jerseys #5 and #7 retired, what number would you wear if you want to honour them and continue the tradition?

If you don't "get numbers", you probably think 57 is perfect.

Otherwise, you would have probably proposed #6

This is exactly what I'm talking about. 57 does seem perfect. Can you explain to me why it's not?

I was always a soccer player (never played hockey). Started playing organized soccer in 85' and I made sure I got 26 in honor of "le ptit'viking."

I worshiped Roy but never wore 33 as it was never a traditional soccer number (neither was 26 but I was 9 yrs old at the time.

Through my high school/university days I always wore 7 or 11. Went I went semi pro though and the older I got, the less I cared or "argued" about number preferences.

All I really cared about was respectfully representing the logo on the jersey and not the number.

I agree with you on the complaint from people about higher numbers and it's sort of a backwater hockey fan thing. Football fans never give this complaint because players have worn numbers from 00 to 99 due to positions. If hockey in the 60s made it clear that goalies wear between and 1 and 10, forwards wear between 11 and 60 and defencemen wear between 61 and 99, we wouldn't have these conversations.

However we have all of this footage and memories of guys wearing low numbers so it "looks right" to some. That said, some people just become attached to a number. It becomes a part of who they are. There's nothing wrong with that. But fans complaining about high sweater numbers is ridiculous. Like I said, some numbers just don't look right to me but I'm not going to rage or sperge about a player wearing a high number. I thought it made sense for Leblanc to take something lower but I've grown to like 71.

I don't 'rage' about it. But I like traditions. In the NHL's classic heyday (original 6 and beyond) everybody wore low numbers. That's why 'football' numbers grind against the old-school mindset. Seems like a reasonable sentiment to me.

The problem is that if everyone took low numbers, the uniqueness of one's number would be completely lost. I'm sure you know how many #9's there have been in the league throughout history and how many #9's there are today, and will be in the future. That's why I like numbers like Crosby's 87 or Stamkos' 91. When you think of these numbers, you think of these players. The same can be said for several of the current Habs. 76 works for Subban and 67 works for Pacioretty for the simple reason that they become synonymous with those players instead of reminding us of dozens of players who have shared 'low numbers'. Low numbers are like the skanks of hockey.

The problem is that if everyone took low numbers, the uniqueness of one's number would be completely lost. I'm sure you know how many #9's there have been in the league throughout history and how many #9's there are today, and will be in the future. That's why I like numbers like Crosby's 87 or Stamkos' 91. When you think of these numbers, you think of these players. The same can be said for several of the current Habs. 76 works for Subban and 67 works for Pacioretty for the simple reason that they become synonymous with those players instead of reminding us of dozens of players who have shared 'low numbers'. Low numbers are like the skanks of hockey.

I like flashy numbers too, provided the player has the goods to back it up. 99 was a great number. I don't agree about 67, that seems like a generic one to me, but 76 is sufficiently outrageous. On reflection, my real beef is with anything between 35 and 75, barring double numbers like 44, 55, 66 which are cool because they stand out. Once you get around 75 you're in 'swagger' territory and that's OK with me. Thought what Hal Gill was doing with such a badass number beats me!

You can see where the Original Six lent itself to numbers around 20 and under; you can add another 10-15 to that total to account for retirements, etc. Hence my willingness to stretch to 35. But numbers like 37, 43, 51, etc. are just lame.

My favorite numbers are the following...

I could honestly argue that I like most numbers in the 90s... but I wouldn't really be able to put my finger as to why. As for honorable mentions, 5 was my number in soccer from a young age, though I eventually started using 9 and 11 is a pretty solid number as well.