Report: Scott Gomez's contract to be bought out!

REV-G

Gambling on Gomez means gambling he is still a top six forward. A $7M fourth line player is too much. A $7M third line player is too much. He would have to be a top six forward and that's too much to expect. Better for him to goto a team like Columbus where they are in need of a second/third line center. Re-entry would do that. Gomez in the AHL would be great as well since he'd bring stability and leadership to the Hamilton Bulldogs.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This rumor dosn't make sense to me.

Why would they do this before the new GM has even been shown his desk and before the new coach is appointed?

Don't get me wrong, I am fine with them buying out Gomez but only if it is endorsed by the new GM and to a lesser extent the new coach. The timing of this makes me think it is wishfull thinking.

(null)

Edited by Kiwihab

This rumor dosn't make sense to me

It's very silly speculation that popped up because there was bigger news to talk about.

The most serious issues for Bergevin are the next head coach, signing Price/Subban and the draft. Certain media members want it to be Gomez. Guess what happens? Even the Scarecrow could figure this out.

There is no reason to even consider buying out Gomez's contract or sendig him to the minors until the contract situation with players who need new ones and the free agent market is settled. The Gomez contract is a placeholder for funds that can be accessed in many ways.

In my mind what is done will tell us a lot about the commitment Mr. Molson has to make the team a winning one. The Gomez contract can be looked at either from a cash flow or a cap hit perspective. If Mr. Molson allows the salary to be buried in the minors then the $7 million of freed cap space could be used to sign a decent free agent or provide space for a trade. Buying out the contarct will be "cheaper" but the cap hit over time will be a drag on the team and its ability to move forward. The cheapest option is to let him play one more year. After this year the differential between his actual pay and the cap hit is so great it would be difficult for a team struggling with its revenues not wanting the $6 million in cash.

If the team goes the route of buyout or letting him play one more year I would question management's desire to have a winning team.

What constitutes 'marginal savings' here? Wouldn't a buyout save Molson over $3 million?

That's what I don't grasp about Bob Mackenzie calling for the firing of whoever decides to buy out Gomer Pyle rather than bury him in the minors. The owner needs to agree to bury a guy; and if he doesn't agree to eat millions, what other choice do we have?

Like what you've said this is a business. If Montreal buries the contract it means $3 million more per season for Molson to eat. If we bury Gomez then we know the money will be used on other players so why would Molson bury a $5.5 million contract? People can argue that it's to make the team better but at $2 million in revenues per game in the playoffs, you are basically talking about an entire 1st round of revenues gone just to recoop the contract.

That takes a lot of convincing if you ask me.

Like what you've said this is a business.  If Montreal buries the contract it means $3 million more per season for Molson to eat.  If we bury Gomez then we know the money will be used on other players so why would Molson bury a $5.5 million contract?  People can argue that it's to make the team better but at $2 million in revenues per game in the playoffs, you are basically talking about an entire 1st round of revenues gone just to recoop the contract.

That takes a lot of convincing if you ask me.

3.333 million in total dollars over 4 years... not 3 million per season. If Gomez is in the minors they would pay him 5.5 and 4.5 million, for a total of 10 million. If Gomez is bought out they would pay him 1.67, 1.67, 1.67, 1.67 over four years for a total of 6.67 million

3.333 million in total dollars over 4 years... not 3 million per season. If Gomez is in the minors they would pay him 5.5 and 4.5 million, for a total of 10 million. If Gomez is bought out they would pay him 1.67, 1.67, 1.67, 1.67 over four years for a total of 6.67 million

What hurts the most is, while we're having those headaches counting the numbers, McDonaugh is the #1 dman on the top team in the league. Played 50+ minutes last night. :(

What hurts the most is, while we're having those headaches counting the numbers, McDonaugh is the #1 dman on the top team in the league. Played 50+ minutes last night. :(

It sucks but i think all the speculation will light a huge fire under Gomez's ass, might as well let him play another season?

It sucks but i think all the speculation will light a huge fire under Gomez's ass, might as well let him play another season?

:rolleyes: How much more punishment do we have to take from that schmuck? He is human garbage. Stop dreaming about him suddenly returning to form and dump his sorry arse.

:rolleyes: How much more punishment do we have to take from that schmuck? He is human garbage. Stop dreaming about him suddenly returning to form and dump his sorry arse.

I'm with you. I was ready to give him another chance last summer, but not anymore. HE MUST GO! We need his money to improve the team in other areas. The problem with keeping him for a month and then seeing how he does, is that if you send him down in November there are no UFAs on the market and very few trades you can make to spend the cap space. If he's on the team in October, his cap space is wasted for the year.

This.

Over and over again.

Thanks BG.

I'm with you. I was ready to give him another chance last summer, but not anymore. HE MUST GO! We need his money to improve the team in other areas. The problem with keeping him for a month and then seeing how he does, is that if you send him down in November there are no UFAs on the market and very few trades you can make to spend the cap space. If he's on the team in October, his cap space is wasted for the year.

This is why I was thinking about the Europe option. If the Habs ship him overseas then there very little, to no chance he will pollute the younger players in the AHL and (as a bonus IMO) he won`t possibly be taken by another team for half the contract and cap (??). G-puke needs to go!!!!

This is why I was thinking about the Europe option. If the Habs ship him overseas then there very little, to no chance he will pollute the younger players in the AHL and (as a bonus IMO) he won`t possibly be taken by another team for half the contract and cap (??). G-puke needs to go!!!!

Why exactly would he 'pollute' the younger players in the AHL? It's not like that has happened with guys like Redden, Finger, even Souray (and he was pretty vocal about what happened); I think Redden is now the captain in Connecticut even. By all accounts he's a good guy in the room and would be a good veteran to have on what will be an incredibly young Hamilton squad, one that will really need a few productive veterans. Also keep in mind that any player re-assigned to a European league has to expressly give consent; if he doesn't want to go he doesn't have to.

Yeah, people might not like Gomez but he is a leader in the locker room and one of the best we've had at mentoring young talent. Lars Eller called him the guy who looks out for him on the road and there's a reason very few people have bad things to say about him off the ice. He's an absolute class act and it's disappointing he cannot produce his contract cost but if you're gonna bash Scott, bash him for his on ice performance. Thinking he'll pollute the locker room is ridiculous.

I'm sure Gomez would prefer the buyout for many reasons because he wants to continue playing in the NHL. That's why I'd consider re-entry waivers. It's a win/win situation.

Edmonton loaned Souray to Washington's farm team (Hershey) instead of their own when they had him in the AHL, for this very reason.  Hershey and Chicago Wolves (Vancouver's affiliate) are two AHL teams who are both a) owned separately from the NHL squad and b) not afraid to tell their NHL owners to ###### OFF WE'RE TRYING TO WIN AND SELL TICKETS HERE, PROSPECT DEVELOPMENT IS SECONDARY, if that means we have a 30 year old player taking ice time away from your 20 year old kid, so be it.  They might be options of where to send him in the AHL if you don't want him in Hamilton.  

I'm glad the Bulldogs aren't like that... but Chicago and Hershey act that way.

Why exactly would he 'pollute' the younger players in the AHL? It's not like that has happened with guys like Redden, Finger, even Souray (and he was pretty vocal about what happened); I think Redden is now the captain in Connecticut even. By all accounts he's a good guy in the room and would be a good veteran to have on what will be an incredibly young Hamilton squad, one that will really need a few productive veterans. Also keep in mind that any player re-assigned to a European league has to expressly give consent; if he doesn't want to go he doesn't have to.

Call me daft but I would figure Gomez would rather go to a Euro league then the AHL. Dunno but seems kinda like what he would rather do.

Yeah, people might not like Gomez but he is a leader in the locker room and one of the best we've had at mentoring young talent. Lars Eller called him the guy who looks out for him on the road and there's a reason very few people have bad things to say about him off the ice. He's an absolute class act and it's disappointing he cannot produce his contract cost but if you're gonna bash Scott, bash him for his on ice performance. Thinking he'll pollute the locker room is ridiculous.

I'm sure Gomez would prefer the buyout for many reasons because he wants to continue playing in the NHL. That's why I'd consider re-entry waivers. It's a win/win situation.

Seems like a bad thing for the Habs if they get stuck with a cap hit for a player not on the roster, no?

Edmonton loaned Souray to Washington's farm team (Hershey) instead of their own when they had him in the AHL, for this very reason. Hershey and Chicago Wolves (Vancouver's affiliate) are two AHL teams who are both a) owned separately from the NHL squad and b) not afraid to tell their NHL owners to ###### OFF WE'RE TRYING TO WIN AND SELL TICKETS HERE, PROSPECT DEVELOPMENT IS SECONDARY, if that means we have a 30 year old player taking ice time away from your 20 year old kid, so be it. They might be options of where to send him in the AHL if you don't want him in Hamilton.

I'm glad the Bulldogs aren't like that... but Chicago and Hershey act that way.

I would rather him not in Hamilton, yes :)

I think that Hamilton is the best place for him. Buyout = still cap hit for a few years and Trade = haha not happening.

The players love Gomer, he would be awesome to help out that young crew down in the AHL, I seem to remember PK, Max, and an AHL call up or two citing Gomer as the guy who reached out to them when they came up to the big club. Plus... theres that off chance being in the AHL would light a fire under him and he would still be under contract therefore he could come back to us :D :D :D

Call me daft but I would figure Gomez would rather go to a Euro league then the AHL. Dunno but seems kinda like what he would rather do.

Gomez in Europe is best for his career. Gomez likely would prefer the NHL to the AHL and the Euro leagues though.

Seems like a bad thing for the Habs if they get stuck with a cap hit for a player not on the roster, no?

It's a much smaller cap hit than what the team would pay if we bought him out and while some of it is on the cap, less than what we would pay to ship him to Europe. Two and a half million is something we can easily manage on the cap without having to suffer.

Gomez in Europe is best for his career. Gomez likely would prefer the NHL to the AHL and the Euro leagues though.

My answer (how do I seperate this?):

I think this to be fair to his game as well in all honesty, well... if I leave out my anger as a Habs fan to his game :)

It's a much smaller cap hit than what the team would pay if we bought him out and while some of it is on the cap, less than what we would pay to ship him to Europe. Two and a half million is something we can easily manage on the cap without having to suffer.

maybe this is the best thing for the team. I just don`t want to see his face anymore :D

While I'm not saying McDonaugh isn't great, I wouldn't be so fast to put him above Staal or Del Zotto.

Anyways, what happens with Gomez will go a long way in showing Molson's true colors. Does he send him to the minors, paying out of his wallet and helping the team, or does buy him out to save some cash but hurt the team.

I hope this decision rests solely with Bergevin, as it seems like a no-brainer to send him to the minors from a GM standpoint.

I read somewhere that if the Habs bought out Gomez this summer he would cost us 3.5 milion next year, 4.5 milion the year after, and 1.6 million for the next two years. I believe that is what it would count on our cap hit, which I thin is too much. I'd rather we bury him in the minors! There's NO way Gomez can start the next season in Montreal. He's had his chances and has disappointed on every occasion. Like someone else mentionned, 7 million$ for a 3rd line player is ridiculous. We sould use that money to get ourselves a solid, big bodied d-man.

Agreed. :clap: :clap: No more chances for Gomer Pile. He's no longer the player he was in Jersey. He's over the hill!

The Cap hit is 3.5, 4.5, 1.667, 1.667.

The actual dollars paid to Gomez are 1.667, 1.667, 1.667, 1.667.

This is because Gomez's contract was front loaded. He's a 7.3 cap hit the next two years, but only 5.5 and 4.5 in real salary. If you buyout a front loaded contract you have to account for the cap savings that front loading provided in previous years. Ie when Gomez was getting 10 million dollars in real cash, but only a 7.3 cap hit.

Montreal is one of the richest teams in the NHL. Molson said there is no cost he isn't willing to take to make the team better.

This is not the same cash strapped Molsons of the mid 90s.

Agreed! I found this on the Forbes list of NHL team values...

The league’s most valuable team, the Toronto Maple Leafs, is now worth $521 million and generated $81.8 million in operating income last season. The New York Rangers, who are enjoying the benefits of playing in a refurbished Madison Square Garden, earned $41.4 million last year and are the NHL’s second-most valuable team, worth $507 million. And the Montreal Canadiens, placing third with a $445 million valuation, earned $47.7 million. Thus the top three teams posted an aggregate operating profit greater than the rest of the league combined.

So even though the Habs made 6.3 million more than the Rangers, the Rangers are worth more....whatever!?! What this does show, is that the Habs are one of the richest teams in the NHL...2nd in profits only to the Leafies. The habs can afford to bury Gomez's contract in the minors!

The Cap hit is 3.5, 4.5, 1.667, 1.667.

The actual dollars paid to Gomez are 1.667, 1.667, 1.667, 1.667.

This is because Gomez's contract was front loaded. He's a 7.3 cap hit the next two years, but only 5.5 and 4.5 in real salary. If you buyout a front loaded contract you have to account for the cap savings that front loading provided in previous years. Ie when Gomez was getting 10 million dollars in real cash, but only a 7.3 cap hit.

Thanks for clearing that up Cammandant! That just goes to show that buying him out doesn'T make much sense. Send him to Hamilton, Geoff Molson can afford to make ONLY 42 million$ in profits instead of 47 million$. ;)