Report: Scott Gomez's contract to be bought out!

REV-G

Agreed! I found this on the Forbes list of NHL team values...

So even though the Habs made 6.3 million more than the Rangers, the Rangers are worth more....whatever!?! What this does show, is that the Habs are one of the richest teams in the NHL...2nd in profits only to the Leafies.  The habs can afford to bury Gomez's contract in the minors!

Forbes is just guesses, although pretty good ones usually. The reason why the Habs earned more, but are worth less has to do with the debt load on the franchise, and the taxes. Interest and property taxes are big expenses for the Habs that other teams aren't paying as much.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for clearing that up Cammandant! That just goes to show that buying him out doesn'T make much sense. Send him to Hamilton, Geoff Molson can afford to make ONLY 42 million$ in profits instead of 47 million$. ;)

There is another option, you could offer him a managerial job. Just because Father Time may have passed him by, doesn't mean he wouldn't be an asset as a coach. This would give him an honorable out.

There is another option, you could offer him a managerial job. Just because Father Time may have passed him by, doesn't mean he wouldn't be an asset as a coach. This would give him an honorable out.

Would Betman get his ol'knickers in a knot?

The suggestions for Gomez are getting silly. He's not going to give up a single dollar. Which means he'll play hockey. Probably for us. Maybe in Hamilton, but even that I doubt. If we find someone to take his contract via a trade, we might have to sweeten the pot, and include a prospect or pick. Buying him out? I'll believe that when I actually see it.

The suggestions for Gomez are getting silly. He's not going to give up a single dollar. Which means he'll play hockey. Probably for us. Maybe in Hamilton, but even that I doubt. If we find someone to take his contract via a trade, we might have to sweeten the pot, and include a prospect or pick. Buying him out? I'll believe that when I actually see it.

Why do you doubt he will be sent to the minors? It makes the most sense. As far as I can tell, the only downside is we will have to keep paying him for a few years, which shouldn't be a problem for a wealthy organization like the Habs.

Why do you doubt he will be sent to the minors? It makes the most sense. As far as I can tell, the only downside is we will have to keep paying him for a few years, which shouldn't be a problem for a wealthy organization like the Habs.

For sure, I agree. We're a wealthy organization. But the Molson's are not Mark Cuban, George Steinbrenner types. Gomez has 10 million guaranteed, plus Jacques Martin is still owed money. Then, in theory, the team will use some or all of the 7.3 million in cap space they gain in sending Gomez down. That is alot of money. That's my point. Let's see how much they're willing to spend.