Who will it be part 2? The coaching question.

Commandant

Absent Quennville or Vigneault, he'd be my pick.

I agree with everyone you said. Roy is the sexier pick, but he's too much of a risk for my liking.

I agree with everyone you said. Roy is the sexier pick, but he's too much of a risk for my liking.

Personaly, I wouldn't be able to accept seing Roy succeed for many years in another organization than the Habs.

It would hurt too much. I say that we must give it a try.

Sad fact is that politics is still the #1 factor for hires and team success comes second, seems a very outdated and backward way of doing business.

Not another sports franchise like it anywhere i dont think?

Gerard Gallant could be best available, but likely just not french enough, which is just too bad.

So bring on Roy and let the gong show start. Would be entertaining for sure, successful might be another matter.

I dunno, weren't the coaches in last years finals both francophone? They both already coached our team. Personally I'd prefer the best possible candidate, but I refuse to let it bother me. I maintain at this level, being opportunistic, at the right place at the right time, counts for just as much. If we eliminate the Bruins last season, Claude Julien is probably fired.

Personaly, I wouldn't be able to accept seing Roy succeed for many years in another organization than the Habs.

I feel the same way. Also, I was thinking about Vinny (if he is available.. which is looking less likely) he was running a very top 2 lines bottom 2 lines kinda idea. With montreal's roster that wouldn't work since we seem to have 2a, 2b and 2c kinda set up (if Max-Cole-DD line doesn't bring their chemistry over to next season).

Totally agree, the tought of Roy possibly lifting the cup as a coach with another NHL team because we passed on him...I couldn't live with that! We definitely have to try him unless Quenneville is available. I say keep Cunneyworth as an assistant, along with Carrière and bring in Pascal Vincent if we can! Dudley will do a wonderful job helping Bergevin, I would also bring in another experienced NHL guy to help Bergevin. 3 coaching assitants with Roy and 2 GM assistants with Bergevin!

If shit hits the fan regardless of who the coach and GM is or how much experience he has, things will become a circus.

Some people are better equipped to deal with things and calm down the circus than others. (See Gainey's regime vs Gauthier's regime)

One of the aspects that helps someone do this is experience in the role. Sure its not the be all and end all because Gauthier was experienced and he sucked at it. But in general experience helps and two Rookies in their job are gonna have a tough time.

The other issue I have is we all know Roy is a bit of an ego-maniac. When I proposed Roy for Coach, I always did so having an experienced GM and a man that Patrick respected. If you have Bergevin with no known relationship between him and Roy, I foresee a power struggle could occur between the two of them.

Not all NHL coaches go through AHL.

Forget it, Roy will never be an assistant coach, it would deny his personnality and characteristics as a dominant leader. Who would want him anyways as an assistant coach?

I always though Roy would be an unanimous decision. I'm surprised to see such opposition. He is the ideal and perfect candidate for this job.

The dominant leader is exactly the issue. How is he gonna work with Bergevin as his boss?

Some people are better equipped to deal with things and calm down the circus than others. (See Gainey's regime vs Gauthier's regime)

One of the aspects that helps someone do this is experience in the role. Sure its not the be all and end all because Gauthier was experienced and he sucked at it. But in general experience helps and two Rookies in their job are gonna have a tough time.

The other issue I have is we all know Roy is a bit of an ego-maniac. When I proposed Roy for Coach, I always did so having an experienced GM and a man that Patrick respected. If you have Bergevin with no known relationship between him and Roy, I foresee a power struggle could occur between the two of them.

The dominant leader is exactly the issue. How is he gonna work with Bergevin as his boss?

You are insinuating that because Bergevin is a rookie and there is no known relationship between the two that there will be a power struggle? Last time I checked, the GM has the authority to fire a coach. Roy wouldn't have a leg to stand on if he let his "ego" get in the way. And if he is such an "ego-maniac", then you can't assume that it wouldn't come into play merely because he knows and respects the GM. Unless you know Roy and Bergevin personally, you have no idea what their working relationship would be like. These are professional men and know exactly what type of situation they are coming into when they sign on the dotted line.

• Upvote 1

I dunno, weren't the coaches in last years finals both francophone? They both already coached our team. Personally I'd prefer the best possible candidate, but I refuse to let it bother me. I maintain at this level, being opportunistic, at the right place at the right time, counts for just as much. If we eliminate the Bruins last season, Claude Julien is probably fired.

Didnt say there are not good french coachs and i am not anti-french, but eliminating all who cant speak it, no matter what resume is, seems so Don Cherry-like (childish) and that is what is being done to cowtow to media, politicians and Savard/Molson agenda; at cost of possibly not hiring best person for the job. Am i wrong in that assumption? Just my kooky opinion, thats all.

You are insinuating that because Bergevin is a rookie and there is no known relationship between the two that there will be a power struggle? Last time I checked, the GM has the authority to fire a coach. Roy wouldn't have a leg to stand on if he let his "ego" get in the way. And if he is such an "ego-maniac", then you can't assume that it wouldn't come into play merely because he knows and respects the GM. Unless you know Roy and Bergevin personally, you have no idea what their working relationship would be like. These are professional men and know exactly what type of situation they are coming into when they sign on the dotted line.

Patrick Roy has only ever coached in a situation where he is the GM as well (in Quebec with the Remparts). I think it's safe to expect that Roy would come in and try and run the ship like he has with Quebec, something that likely won't fly well with Bergevin entrenched as GM. Perhaps there won't be a 'struggle' per se but I'd suspect there will be a significant adjustment that probably won't be smooth right off the bat.

Patrick Roy has only ever coached in a situation where he is the GM as well (in Quebec with the Remparts). I think it's safe to expect that Roy would come in and try and run the ship like he has with Quebec, something that likely won't fly well with Bergevin entrenched as GM. Perhaps there won't be a 'struggle' per se but I'd suspect there will be a significant adjustment that probably won't be smooth right off the bat.

Course he is a grown man.. he could very well understand his position and just try and all Bergevin would have to do would be to respect his opinion and come to him sometimes with stuff to make him all in the know and stuff... a team unit kinda deal. Could work.

Right, so he holds both the coach and the GM position currently with Quebec. So we know that he knows what both job titles entail. So how do you come to the conclusion that he would separate himself from knowing that? Apparently people here assume Roy is an egotistical baby and wants all the power or none at all because he holds dual roles at the minor level. Currently there are zero people that do so in the NHL, but Roy is going to strut in and expect to run the show from behind the bench AND from the press box? Get real.

• Upvote 1

If you're a pessimist, Roy would come in and disrupt things, causing an inner struggle that takes over the team.

If you're an optimist, Roy would come in, Bergevin would welcome a former player like himself and their input and ensure that the two form a team that works for both of them. A coach telling the GM his needs and a GM listening.

The assumptions on Roy for both sides (I'm more of an optimist) lead me to believe that nobody here has any clue what Roy will do. They just have their assumptions.

Didnt say there are not good french coachs and i am not anti-french, but eliminating all who cant speak it, no matter what resume is, seems so Don Cherry-like (childish) and that is what is being done to cowtow to media, politicians and Savard/Molson agenda; at cost of possibly not hiring best person for the job. Am i wrong in that assumption? Just my kooky opinion, thats all.

I have being carrying that message for some time. Unfortunely, nothing will come of it until success becomes more important than language.

Right, so he holds both the coach and the GM position currently with Quebec. So we know that he knows what both job titles entail. So how do you come to the conclusion that he would separate himself from knowing that? Apparently people here assume Roy is an egotistical baby and wants all the power or none at all because he holds dual roles at the minor level. Currently there are zero people that do so in the NHL, but Roy is going to strut in and expect to run the show from behind the bench AND from the press box? Get real.

All I said is that there would be an adjustment period that may not be smooth given Roy's holding of both positions. When you're the guy, you don't just start a new job where you're no longer the guy and expect it to go flawlessly day one. I'm not saying he can't or won't adjust, but I'd be shocked if everything was rosy right off the bat. I don't consider that to be an optimistic or pessimistic approach, just something that happens when there is a bit of a role change.

I have being carrying that message for some time. Unfortunely, nothing will come of it until success becomes more important than language.

It is just a bit annoying, and an oversimplified anology would be; that every year the Habs 1st round pick must be from Quebec, when we all know there are better choices (most years).

same as Bergevin promoting more scouts in the Q? why; there are but a couple in the first few rounds of past few drafts?

Wouldnt it be more prudent to say, we are going to beef up our scandinavian scouting dept, becasue past few years there are dozens of top notch prospects?

Anyways, would Guy Charron be a good canditate for coach, he played with habs in 70s, was assistant coach with Habs in 2003-04 and has been coaching for 20 years now? I would think he would be better choice than Roy, if only that he has the experiance. But i know nothing of personality/coaching abilities?

The only reason language is more important than success right now is because success isn't in the picture. When success is in the picture, people tend to forget where players are from. Hell, I was seeing people calling Alex Kovalev the new Guy Lafleur. Why? Because he scored 35 goals on a very successful Habs team (in the season). That's all it took. People in Quebec PROTESTED Montreal not signing him because he was looked upon as the image of success in Montreal and he couldn't speak a lick of french.

Erik Cole had just as many goals as Kovalev that year but the team is 15th. So there's no french superstar. The reality is it's really, "there's no Quebec approved superstar". When I say Quebec approved I don't mean every person from La Belle Province but the people who beat their chests and proclaim themselves from Quebec. You know the type. Same went with Halak. He had a good playoff run once. He was now Quebec approved. Quebec voted for Halak, the team went with Price and they still really haven't been forgiven for it even though the fans are fine with Price again.

Bergevin said nothing about taking scouts out of other areas to place in Quebec. He just said Quebec needed more scouts. If Molson is fine with paying for some good PR, be happy with it. That's all it really is. Bergevin has been hitting dingers out of the park so far in quelling distractions. He spoke high of Quebec and the troglodytes in Quebec applauded. That's all. If you can feed them what they want and keep them distracted, it means less controversies in Montreal. You'll never stop them all but preventing a few can go a very long way.

• Upvote 1

I wonder why we haven't considered Larry Robinson as a candidate to be our Head Coach? I know in the past he has said that the pressure was too much for him. But sometimes it takes a few years as an assistant coach to be able grow into the head postion. He's learned the ropes, how to cope with the media and handle the pressure. Maybe he's ready to be the head guy again. And yes, he does speak french very well. I just read in the Toronto Star that one of their reporters talked with Robinson's agent and just as we've heard, his agent said that Larry would be very interested in returning. Maybe he's open to being the head coach this time.

He is also very well connected and could bring in any number of high quality coaches. Maybe even Lemaire?? Roy?? I admit those guys probably aren't intereseted in coming in as assistants, but the names Robinson and Lemaire certainly go well together!

The only reason language is more important than success right now is because success isn't in the picture. When success is in the picture, people tend to forget where players are from. Hell, I was seeing people calling Alex Kovalev the new Guy Lafleur. Why? Because he scored 35 goals on a very successful Habs team (in the season). That's all it took. People in Quebec PROTESTED Montreal not signing him because he was looked upon as the image of success in Montreal and he couldn't speak a lick of french.

Erik Cole had just as many goals as Kovalev that year but the team is 15th. So there's no french superstar. The reality is it's really, "there's no Quebec approved superstar". When I say Quebec approved I don't mean every person from La Belle Province but the people who beat their chests and proclaim themselves from Quebec. You know the type. Same went with Halak. He had a good playoff run once. He was now Quebec approved. Quebec voted for Halak, the team went with Price and they still really haven't been forgiven for it even though the fans are fine with Price again.

Bergevin said nothing about taking scouts out of other areas to place in Quebec. He just said Quebec needed more scouts. If Molson is fine with paying for some good PR, be happy with it. That's all it really is. Bergevin has been hitting dingers out of the park so far in quelling distractions. He spoke high of Quebec and the troglodytes in Quebec applauded. That's all. If you can feed them what they want and keep them distracted, it means less controversies in Montreal. You'll never stop them all but preventing a few can go a very long way.

I like this point about 'Quebec approved.' In a certain sense, this goes back to Howie Morenz. Certain non-French players become canonized by the fan-base regardless. Usually, these are either goalies or forwards with special talent and panache - hence, Kovalev, but not Koivu, whose knee injuries prevented him from being the truly stylish player he was meant to be.

As for Roy, some people just have a mystical belief in his abilities. I respect the man, but I also respect the difficulties of transitioning into an NHL coaching job with minimal experience, and Roy's ego is big enough to raise legitimate questions about his ability to take orders from Bergevin and his ability to work harmoniously with big egoes on the team. Like I said before, the risk of him going to war with certain players is higher than it would be with a proven coach.

On the coaching thing: Stubbs ran a piece advocating Carbo + Robinson for the coaching staff. The two are apparently close. I'm not a terribly enthusiastic advocate of Carbo, but then again, he may have learned a lot from the first go-around; we could hire him on the principle that we might as well benefit from his earlier round of training with us. But whatever else happens, getting Big Bird in here is a frigging no-brainer. Make it happen, Bergie!!!

Edit: REV, I think the issue with Robinson as head coach is that he's said in the past he didn't want the pressure. Seems to be a prototypical assistant.

I like this point about 'Quebec approved.' In a certain sense, this goes back to Howie Morenz. Certain non-French players become canonized by the fan-base regardless. Usually, these are either goalies or forwards with special talent and panache - hence, Kovalev, but not Koivu, whose knee injuries prevented him from being the truly stylish player he was meant to be.

As for Roy, some people just have a mystical belief in his abilities. I respect the man, but I also respect the difficulties of transitioning into an NHL coaching job with minimal experience, and Roy's ego is big enough to raise legitimate questions about his ability to take orders from Bergevin and his ability to work harmoniously with big egoes on the team.

On the coaching thing: Stubbs ran a piece advocating Carbo + Robinson for the coaching staff. The two are apparently close. I'm not a terribly enthusiastic advocate of Carbo, but then again, he may have learned a lot from the first go-around; we could hire him on the principle that we might as well benefit from his earlier round of training with us. But whatever else happens, getting Big Bird in here is a frigging no-brainer. Make it happen, Bergie!!!

Edit: REV, I think the issue with Robinson as head coach is that he's said in the past he didn't want the pressure. Seems to be a prototypical assistant.

#19 is my favourite player of all time, but would he consider being Assistant? His agent hinted he might be? I am all for that and also for giving Carbo another crack. I think Kovalev was just a bit much for him as a rookie coach, maybe??

But i would just as in favour of keeping both Randy's and add Carbo.

I wonder why we haven't considered Larry Robinson as a candidate to be our Head Coach? I know in the past he has said that the pressure was too much for him. But sometimes it takes a few years as an assistant coach to be able grow into the head postion. He's learned the ropes, how to cope with the media and handle the pressure. Maybe he's ready to be the head guy again. And yes, he does speak french very well. I just read in the Toronto Star that one of their reporters talked with Robinson's agent and just as we've heard, his agent said that Larry would be very interested in returning. Maybe he's open to being the head coach this time.

He is also very well connected and could bring in any number of high quality coaches. Maybe even Lemaire?? Roy?? I admit those guys probably aren't intereseted in coming in as assistants, but the names Robinson and Lemaire certainly go well together!

I get the impression he just wants to be part of the team and let somebody else be the head coach. If we can get Big Bird in any capacity, I am in. Could be as simple as his wife wanting to live in Montreal.

BUT....what if Robinson is now open, even wanting to be the head coach and has in mind some guys who would make a really strong staff around him?? I would do that in an instant!

BUT....what if Robinson is now open, even wanting to be the head coach and has in mind some guys who would make a really strong staff around him?? I would do that in an instant!

No question.