Who will it be part 2? The coaching question.

Commandant

All signs point to Hartley imo.

And, the only reason the coach has to be bilingual.. is to compensate for ignorant media that cant properly function in english.

Im bilingual and even if the new coach only spoke french and gave the team the best chances at winning (hypothetically) I'd be okay with it. Maybe english media members whom cant function in french would be up in arms and their followers in turn as it only reflects upon their limitations within the politics and crux of the social stigma.

Personally. I dont think Religion and politics should be in bed together. And in Montreal, hockey is religion.

All signs point to Hartley imo.

And, the only reason the coach has to be bilingual.. is to compensate for ignorant media that cant properly function in english.

Im bilingual and even if the new coach only spoke french and gave the team the best chances at winning (hypothetically) I'd be okay with it. Maybe english media members whom cant function in french would be up in arms and their followers in turn as it only reflects upon their limitations within the politics and crux of the social stigma.

Personally. I dont think Religion and politics should be in bed together. And in Montreal, hockey is religion.

90% of the players in the league speak English, so no its not the same with a French only speaking coach

90% of the players in the league speak English, so no its not the same with a French only speaking coach

I thought we didn't care if the coach was speaking russian or chinese as long he is the best..

I thought we didn't care if the coach was speaking russian or chinese as long he is the best..

I personally don't care.

I'm just saying that the English media's argument will be that the coach can't communicate with the players.

Something that the French media doesn't have a leg to stand on if they tried to claim in this debate.

It would create more traction with many.

On the other hand I look at the Euro soccer coaches and see many who work around this issue, and don't see why the same couldn't be done in hockey.

Yeah a third overall pick for a 3rd overall pick. Florida wouldn't do that though, they drafted Huberdeau and are committed I'd imagine.

You answered your own question, AGREED: Florida would not do a 3rd for a 3rd. Dale Tallon would ask HIGH price ( why wouldnt he: a rookie GM, under Bilingual cultural pressure, bring a local young prospect ( which current 2012 draft doesnt have), someone Bergevin owes his management career to, and wouldnt readliy say no to. Depending on Dale Tallon's ability and level of friendship, why not ask for " the moon"!

If I was Dale Tallon, I would be targetting Marc Bergevin, get 2012 3rd overall, and why not: ask for 2013 first pick for Huberdeau...

( as a HABs fan, no way ever I would accept this), and would be a sign of a very rookie GM on our hands.

Please note this was more mentioned as more a comment and ability of a rookie GM, and pressence of pressure in the local market and neccessity of more home grown talent.

All the league will know this, and will be offering Bergevin more local talent for their asking price.

I am sure Bergevin is smarter than letting this pressure hamper his decisions.

Yes, at this point Bergevin doesn't have any pressure. Everyone is so relieved that the Goat is gone and that Bergevin is so personable, he's on his honeymoon with fans and media. Expectations are moderate, not extreme, for an immediate turn-around. He has no particular reason to take a desperate swing for the fences at this point. I'd expect him to play it cool for a bit as he focuses on the draft and on sorting out our internal operations.

Hartley goes to the Flames....

So when will Bergevin announce Crawford as the new coach?

I believe they have an idea who the coach will be. Whether they are waiting on the legalities from Switzerland about Hartley contract or just waiting on last few details with someone else. They have picked who they want, and just waiting on acceptance by the candidate..

So far bergevin has hired all he has close contact in past ( playing days or recent mgmnt ): Dudley, Mellanby...with keeping the same trend: is marc Crawford the next for Bergevin?

Also, with his close tie in with Dale Talon, and mandate to find home grown talent, will he offer Dale Talon: Habs 3rd overall, habs 2013 First round as well, for Huberdeau? ( i would hate for that to happen)...

I hope Bergevin doesnt rely too much on his " friends" and Past/current relationships that may bias his decision making. Stay Objective!

great seeing more assets adding to organization, but as CC mentioned earlier, we saw the same optimism earlier with Gainey crew...

The trend and my forecast shows that Crawford will be the next coach.

Time will tell...

CRAWFORD is what Bergevin is shown so far as the main candidate, he keeps to hiring people he knows and has had contact with from his playing days and early management days ( Dudley, Mellanby...Crawford (?) )

BUT PLEASE dont trade with Dale Tallon and give up the 3rd overall, and another first rounder!!!

Reports are saying that it's between Crawford and Therrien. I'll lose it if we end up hiring Michel Therrien as head coach. He was awful when he was with us and he was a terrible coach with the Penguins. I see no reason to believe that he's suddenly figured it all out. Hiring him would be a catastrophic mistake by Bergevin.

I don't love the idea of Crawford either frankly, but compared to Therrien there is no competition.

The fact that we have to settle for third rate coaching options makes me furious. When this team continues to perform at a mediocre level, francophone fans will have to be satisfied that at least they can listen to their coach explain the futility in French. Clearly that is more important than bringing in someone who can win.

As for me, I'd rather we brought in a coach that, you know, actually is decent.

Reports are saying

Reports said done deal with Hartley to the Canadiens.

I'm not buying a single shred of reports until the announcement now.

The fact that we have to settle for third rate coaching options makes me furious. When this team continues to perform at a mediocre level, francophone fans will have to be satisfied that at least they can listen to their coach explain the futility in French. Clearly that is more important than bringing in someone who can win.

Is there really some great uniligual coach out there that we're ignoring? This is just a terrible time for having to select a new head coach. In times like this it's best to go with a rookie head coach.

That said, Marc Crawford is right there. Might as well.

Reports are saying that it's between Crawford and Therrien. I'll lose it if we end up hiring Michel Therrien as head coach. He was awful when he was with us and he was a terrible coach with the Penguins. I see no reason to believe that he's suddenly figured it all out. Hiring him would be a catastrophic mistake by Bergevin.

I don't love the idea of Crawford either frankly, but compared to Therrien there is no competition.

Therrien had a terrible team here in Montreal when he was coach, much worst than the current group. I think it'll probably be Crawford, though. Regardless, everyone needs to accept that the head coach of the Canadiens will have to be bilingual, thats just how it is, lets all get on with our lives, etc.

Is there really some great uniligual coach out there that we're ignoring? This is just a terrible time for having to select a new head coach. In times like this it's best to go with a rookie head coach.

That said, Marc Crawford is right there. Might as well.

I just don't like that we deliberately limit our options. While there aren't any unilingual coaches out there screaming for an opportunity, I think we can all agree that there are plenty of guys out there with more ability than Michel Therrien. Not that I'm advocating for any of these guys, but I would include Sutter, Maurice, Wilson, Eakins, Renney, etc.

Regardless, everyone needs to accept that the head coach of the Canadiens will have to be bilingual, thats just how it is, lets all get on with our lives, etc.

I wont ever accept it. I'm a fan of winning, period. I'm not a fan of placating a faction of people who are still fighting a battle that should have ended 20 years ago.

This team will never be able to return to its winning ways as long as it continues to ignore a majority of eligible candidates for front office and coaching positions.

It's official, Hartley to Calgary. Interestingly enough, according to a tweet from Dreger, Zurich extended Hartley's out clause but only would do so for Calgary.

Interested to hear Feaster address Hartley's Zurich contract. Told Swiss owner extended out clause by 1 week (June 1) for Flames only.

I wont ever accept it. I'm a fan of winning, period. I'm not a fan of placating a faction of people who are still fighting a battle that should have ended 20 years ago.

This team will never be able to return to its winning ways as long as it continues to ignore a majority of eligible candidates for front office and coaching positions.

If Jim Nill wanted the job in Montreal he would have got it.

If the criteria stated by Marc Bergevin is a fully bilingual, fluent in French coach, then Crawford is out. He cannot hold a fully fluent in French conversation at this moment. The question is, can Mark Crawford stand in front of the French media in Montreal and have a good exchange in French. The people in L'antichambre said he cannot.

If Jim Nill wanted the job in Montreal he would have got it.

which I was thrilled to have heard, I just wish that same principle applied to the head coaching search as well. We should be looking for the best, PERIOD.

The best coach, the best GM, the best players. If those happen to be francophones, great, but if not, then so be it.

which I was thrilled to have heard, I just wish that same principle applied to the head coaching search as well. We should be looking for the best, PERIOD.

The best coach, the best GM, the best players. If those happen to be francophones, great, but if not, then so be it.

Again, the guys you listed are pretty much terrible. Sure, Therrien is terrible as well but if you're choosing from a lot of terrible coaching choices you might as well go with the least controversial.

Honestly in a situation like this the Canadiens should lean towards Gallant and Roy as guys you don't know about. Who cares if Roy is making demands. Let's see how he coaches.

If the criteria stated by Marc Bergevin is a fully bilingual, fluent in French coach, then Crawford is out. He cannot hold a fully fluent in French conversation at this moment. The question is, can Mark Crawford stand in front of the French media in Montreal and have a good exchange in French. The people in L'antichambre said he cannot.

And we all know the Antichambre people are completely impartial and objective. They're on the Therrien bandwagon because he's 'one of theirs,' they'll badmouth anyone not named Therrien. Crawford's taking daily lessons so they, like any of us, don't know his current French speaking capabilities.

They're not really fighting a battle. And they're blissfully unaware of what you think, they don't care. Besides, some great coaches were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs, just this year. Last years cup winner was francophone, and he probably would have been fired had our team eliminated the champs in the first round. Geoff Molson is on twitter, regurgitate that stuff to him about winning period. See if he even responds.

Honestly in a situation like this the Canadiens should lean towards Gallant and Roy as guys you don't know about. Who cares if Roy is making demands. Let's see how he coaches.

couldn't agree more. if there isn't a solid proven coach out there, regardless of language, then we should take a shot with someone who could really turn into something special. I just hate the thought of picking a retread like Therrien. We know exactly what Therrien is and that's mediocre. We should strive for something more.

Yes, because Molson should spend his day on Twitter responding to people.

You're trying to be clever, but you missed the point. People on here get all upset about something that's not going to change. That's why I agree with you on Patrick Roy.

Hartley goes to the Flames....

So when will Bergevin announce Crawford as the new coach?

Just what this team needs.... to be placed in the middle of the Bertuzzi/Moore trial in October as the season is beginning.

CRAWFORD is what Bergevin is shown so far as the main candidate, he keeps to hiring people he knows and has had contact with from his playing days and early management days ( Dudley, Mellanby...Crawford (?) )

BUT PLEASE dont trade with Dale Tallon and give up the 3rd overall, and another first rounder!!!

Bergevin played for Crawford for all of 1 month and it was the most turbulent month of Crawford's career, after the Bertuzzi incident.

I don't think he's that close to him.