Who will it be part 2? The coaching question.

Commandant

The language issue maybe boring to many but to the French population in Quebec it is far from boring. The issue is what it is and nothing will change that with the media you have in Montreal. What is also interesting, the Francophone coach will address his team in English because most of the players are English speaking even if they come from Europe.

I would prefer someone other then Therrien or Crawford. I do not know who but someone new would be nice. I would actually classify Carbonneau as new because he actually did not have a long enough tenure before Gainey had a brain cramp and fired hime.

I would prefer someone other then Therrien or Crawford. I do not know who but someone new would be nice. I would actually classify Carbonneau as new because he actually did not have a long enough tenure before Gainey had a brain cramp and fired hime.

Firing Carbonneau wasn't a brain cramp. Carbo lost the locker room is a big way. He was getting in arguments with players and when he punished them he would never tell them why. Some complain about Martin being quiet, Carbo would run away from you saying he was too busy to talk.

I think Carbo could be an excellent assistant coach but he failed miserably as a head coach.

4e5466b7dc69f1314154167_blog.jpg

REPORTS: CANADIENS TO TALK TO ROY REGARDING COACHING JOB

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397361

La Presse writer Philippe Cantin and RDS hockey reporter Renaud Lavoie report that Bergevin, contrary to earlier local reports, has not dismissed Roy as a candidate and that he, assistant GMs Rick Dudley and Larry Carriere and director of player development Scott Mellanby plan to meet with him very soon.

Other finalists for the job include former Canadiens and Pittsburgh Penguins head coach Michel Therrien and former NHL head coach Marc Crawford. Bob Hartley, who was also a candidate, joined the Calgary Flames as head coach on Thursday.

Can i quote a post from someone named "Habsy" from a day or 2 ago.."the whole lanuage thing is ..ZZZZZZZZZZZ Boring!"

Funny eh?, or Ironic maybe how that dead horse now is fit to arise again. haha (no offense, just had to get that jab in there)

Sweet Jesus i hope Therrian is not the man. Maybe he would be fine, but he just seems a bit "out there" and even Crawford would be preferrable wouldnt he? But as with picking a GM i really dont have a clue who is most qualified.

We will see next week i guess?

DON! Throw jabs at me, I love it. And I respect your opinion. I was going to leave it alone. In fact, I was going to suggest a thread for the people who want to discuss what happens with European soccer coaches for the 75th time. And how it somehow relates to Quebec. I just thought it funny that Hartley got a job, in a market where language doesn't matter.

DON! Throw jabs at me, I love it. And I respect your opinion. I was going to leave it alone. In fact, I was going to suggest a thread for the people who want to discuss what happens with European soccer coaches for the 75th time. And how it somehow relates to Quebec. I just thought it funny that Hartley got a job, in a market where language doesn't matter.

Language matters in Calgary, though the real way to put it would be, "Lack of language matters in Calgary"

;)

If your theory was correct, there would be no need to ever change your coach and given the frequency that coaching changes are made, I would conclude that thirty teams don't agree with you. I believe this coaching decision will be huge. You are right, we don't have enough imformation to critique anyone, however as a fan we get what imformation we can and bnasically say who we like and don't like, based largely on past performance. As a fan, we have the right to put our two cents in, rightly or wrongly.

No, my "theory" has nothing to do with that. Coaches are hired to be fired, we all know that. I just feel that coaches get too much blame, and too much credit. Depending on what transpires. Scotty Bowman says our coach should speak french. That's about all I need to know. Oh, and thanks to The Cucumber for explaining my thoughts on coaching, in a way more detailed way. In a way that I simply can't!

Bertrand Raymond yesterday on RDS says that the Habs can't hire an English coach who has learned to speak French, they must hire a French coach from a French family.

Sad to see that Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman wouldn't have been good enough for the old Bigot Raymond.

Bertrand Raymond yesterday on RDS says that the Habs can't hire an English coach who has learned to speak French, they must hire a French coach from a French family.

Sad to see that Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman wouldn't have been good enough for the old Bigot Raymond.

Shame on that flatulent old pustule.

This has always been the unspoken subtext behind the 'bilingual coach' issue - are we talking bilingualism, or are we talking full-fledged blood membership in la nation québécoise as defined by Jacques Parizeau? Racists like this should be bloody well sent packing.

Shame on that flatulent old pustule.

This has always been the unspoken subtext behind the 'bilingual coach' issue - are we talking bilingualism, or are we talking full-fledged blood membership in la nation québécoise as defined by Jacques Parizeau? Racists like this should be bloody well sent packing.

Well said. I agree totally and I was born and raised in Montreal.

Betrand Raymond is one of my least favorite sports journalist, using the word journalist lightly. He would only be happy if everyone on the Montreal team were French born in Quebec.

Hahaha! Good one. Did Calgary get the offer in first to force a move? Would Roy be a great coach or a time bomb? I have no clue.

I'm putting all my chips in for Patrick Roy.

patrick-roy-coach.jpg

Me too...and look at Peter Deboer, directly from junior coach to NHL. No time in minors. Is he a good coach?

Me too...and look at Peter Deboer, directly from junior coach to NHL. No time in minors. Is he a good coach?

Actually, deboer fell on his face in Florida before having success in the NHL. having said that I'd rather have Roy over crawford and i think i'd rather have almost anyone, rather then Therrien.

If you listen to some of the comments on here, you might as well hire the zamboni driver, because the coach doesn't matter.

Ok, so why don't you actually add to the discussion? Who's your choice? And remember, he'll have to speak French. And don't waste our time telling us how this fact has an effect on the teams future. That subject has been beaten to death, years before you started "contributing".

Actually, deboer fell on his face in Florida before having success in the NHL. having said that I'd rather have Roy over crawford and i think i'd rather have almost anyone, rather then Therrien.

Florida had no talent.

Even now when they've added a bunch of players, they still lack talent and got lucky this season. Their gf/ga was worse than the Habs for crying out loud and they won their division. They are a bad team, and I predict they will be out of the playoffs again next season. This was a one year aberration.

It's getting kind of funny hearing everyone, including me, going up and down and back and forth on this one. Some have stuck to their guns and named the guy they wanted from the beginning and stayed with it.

I thought Hartley was going to be the man. Not neccessaily my first choice, but I thought he was the one we'd choose.

So now that we're back to square one I think we have to admit that we really have nothing to go on other than our hopes and little bits of rumours we hear from the media, who also have gotten it wrong [with many saying last week [including me] it looked like Hartley was going to be the man].

At this point, today, after all our talk and speculation it looks like we have simply eliminated one candidate, Hartley, and we're still where we have been for a while, asking ourselves could it be Roy, Crawford, Therrien or a dark horse we didn't really think was in the running!! Personally I think we said no to Hartley, or he read between the lines, and that's why he accepted Calgary. But that's just my own gut feeling.

I don't know about you, but at this point, I think I might have moved into the Roy camp. Younger, fresh, passion, fire but unproven at NHL level. But someone already stated, Deboer came from junior, and so did Dale Hunter and they both did pretty good.

So for what it's worth, my top choices are now any of Roy, Lemaire or Robinson as head coach. The rest would all be second and third choices. But I do have a lot of trust in our management team led by Marc Bergevin. Hopefully this will come to a conclusion soon!!

Florida had no talent. Even now when they've added a bunch of players, they still lack talent and got lucky this season. Their gf/ga was worse than the Habs for crying out loud and they won their division. They are a bad team, and I predict they will be out of the playoffs again next season. This was a one year aberration.

I agree that they didn't have much talent, but if you read a lot of interviews, Deboer actually went back to a lot of his former players and peers to ask how he should have done differently. There was actually an interview this afternoon with Chico Resch in which Resch said that one of the big changes Deboars made was to use his assistants more for practices, so that he had time to communicate and develop a relationship with his players. Resch also said that it helped a lot having a guy like Larry Robinson in particular around and also said good things about one of the other assistant coaches (can't remember his name).

I've actually been in favour of Roy from the get go, but I do think you need to bring in some experienced assistants to help him and I'm still pissed off at Gainey for ignoring and leaving Larry Robinson hanging when Robinson approached him for an assistant coach position 3 years ago.

I believe Roy would bring the needed passion and drive for the short term and the team may respond well to his intensity. For that reason I would be very happy with Roy, Not so with Crawford or even Therrien although I would live with his selection. Who would be a Dark horse that no one has even considered sitting out there in the weeds? Any French speaking assistant coaches out there?

It's getting kind of funny hearing everyone, including me, going up and down and back and forth on this one. Some have stuck to their guns and named the guy they wanted from the beginning and stayed with it. I thought Hartley was going to be the man. Not neccessaily my first choice, but I thought he was the one we'd choose. So now that we're back to square one I think we have to admit that we really have nothing to go on other than our hopes and little bits of rumours we hear from the media, who also have gotten it wrong [with many saying last week [including me] it looked like Hartley was going to be the man]. At this point, today, after all our talk and speculation it looks like we have simply eliminated one candidate, Hartley, and we're still where we have been for a while, asking ourselves could it be Roy, Crawford, Therrien or a dark horse we didn't really think was in the running!! Personally I think we said no to Hartley, or he read between the lines, and that's why he accepted Calgary. But that's just my own gut feeling. I don't know about you, but at this point, I think I might have moved into the Roy camp. Younger, fresh, passion, fire but unproven at NHL level. But someone already stated, Deboer came from junior, and so did Dale Hunter and they both did pretty good. So for what it's worth, my top choices are now any of Roy, Lemaire or Robinson as head coach. The rest would all be second and third choices. But I do have a lot of trust in our management team led by Marc Bergevin. Hopefully this will come to a conclusion soon!!

There is no way Lemaire comes back - last year he came back as a favour to Lamirello and he still had a year left on his contract with NJ. Robinson has already said he doesn't want the stress/pressure of being a head coach, but would be an awesome assistant - I think we would see huge improvement in Subban and with the number of good prospect defeencemen we have coming up, luring Robinson out of NJ as an assistant and having him work with the D for the next 3-4 years, might even be more important then the head coach decision. NJ has some good young defencemen, but they are mostly a no name defence, i give a lot of that credit to the big bird.

I agree that they didn't have much talent, but if you read a lot of interviews, Deboer actually went back to a lot of his former players and peers to ask how he should have done differently. There was actually an interview this afternoon with Chico Resch in which Resch said that one of the big changes Deboars made was to use his assistants more for practices, so that he had time to communicate and develop a relationship with his players. Resch also said that it helped a lot having a guy like Larry Robinson in particular around and also said good things about one of the other assistant coaches (can't remember his name).

I've actually been in favour of Roy from the get go, but I do think you need to bring in some experienced assistants to help him and I'm still pissed off at Gainey for ignoring and leaving Larry Robinson hanging when Robinson approached him for an assistant coach position 3 years ago.

So coaches learn and get better with experience? This isnt news that he's better today than he was two years ago

Still he was a pretty good coach out of junior and lets remember he tied us in points for the last playoff spot in 2009