Who will it be part 2? The coaching question.

Commandant

No question.

Does having Robinson as head coach make Parise consider the habs any or more? Hmmmm...

Like we did with the GM situation, here is our survey where you can state your thoughts about a variety of candidates. We made this one a little more to the point but there are still numerous candidates to ponder.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2801

Let's hope that this time we don't see the coach named mere hours after posting the poll.

If Robinson is available, we scoop him up...Plain and simple...He has the knowledge of the game that is rare to share with our young D corps...Its a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned..

...and I would have no qualms with Carbo becoming the guy, again..Plex had his best year under him..

Robinson cannot take the pressure of being a head coach. That's why he sticks to assistant roles.

I really hope he is brought in as the assistant though

If Robinson is available, we scoop him up...Plain and simple...He has the knowledge of the game that is rare to share with our young D corps...Its a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned..

...and I would have no qualms with Carbo becoming the guy, again..Plex had his best year under him..

Pleks best year was under Jacques Martin.

It is just a bit annoying, and an oversimplified anology would be; that every year the Habs 1st round pick must be from Quebec, when we all know there are better choices (most years).

same as Bergevin promoting more scouts in the Q? why; there are but a couple in the first few rounds of past few drafts?

Wouldnt it be more prudent to say, we are going to beef up our scandinavian scouting dept, becasue past few years there are dozens of top notch prospects?

Anyways, would Guy Charron be a good canditate for coach, he played with habs in 70s, was assistant coach with Habs in 2003-04 and has been coaching for 20 years now? I would think he would be better choice than Roy, if only that he has the experiance. But i know nothing of personality/coaching abilities?

Why more Q scouts? Because the teams fans would prefer more home grown players, like they'd prefer a home grown coach. They've dropped the ball a few times in the last decade. Simon Gagne and Claude Giroux come to mind. It's really not hard to understand. Even Pierre McGuire said a better job should be done in our province.

The fans dictate who you take based on where they were born.

For every Giroux and Gagne (Gagne was 14 years ago now BTW) there is a decision to take Ryan McDonagh over Angelo Esposito, Max Pacioretty over David Perron, and PK Subban over Antoine Lafleur.

Why more Q scouts? Because the teams fans would prefer more home grown players, like they'd prefer a home grown coach. They've dropped the ball a few times in the last decade. Simon Gagne and Claude Giroux come to mind. It's really not hard to understand. Even Pierre McGuire said a better job should be done in our province.

Your home grown idea is simply common sense, i am a fan and hope for more Canadians to be on team, but wouldnt skip a better player/coach to achieve that, makes zero sense unless winning is not #1 priority (which it seems is the case for Molson and my main point of earlier post).

Harold Ballard was of a similar opinion and Don Cherry is as well, but you have to admit that their attitudes are just a bit passe dont you think?

As for the majority of Habs fans, we want a winning team.

You do realize the draft is a crap shoot? And hindsight makes it so easy to criticize that it is inane.

You arnt really quoting Pierre McQuire are you? You threw that in there as a joke eh?

OK. Here's the Official Cucumber Coaching Dream Team:

Head coach: Jacques Lemaire

Assistant: Larry Robinson

Assistant: Guy Carbonneau

Bring on the Cups!!! :thumbs_up:

I am with ya, and on the #1 line we will have Ovechkin-Crosby-Stamkos :D

Your home grown idea is simply common sense, i am a fan and hope for more Canadians to be on team, but wouldnt skip a better player/coach to achieve that, makes zero sense unless winning is not #1 priority (which it seems is the case for Molson and my main point of earlier post).

Harold Ballard was of a similar opinion and Don Cherry is as well, but you have to admit that their attitudes are just a bit passe dont you think?

As for the majority of Habs fans, we want a winning team.

You do realize the draft is a crap shoot? And hindsight makes it so easy to criticize that it is inane.

You arnt really quoting Pierre McQuire are you? You threw that in there as a joke eh?

You asked why, even though it's common sense. And we all know it's a crap shoot. As for a Pierre McGuire comment, he was a finalist for the job of our favorite team. It's just a prevailing attitude in this city. Why not look more closely at the local talent pool.

The fans dictate who you take based on where they were born.

For every Giroux and Gagne (Gagne was 14 years ago now BTW) there is a decision to take Ryan McDonagh over Angelo Esposito, Max Pacioretty over David Perron, and PK Subban over Antoine Lafleur.

Ya, we all know how old Gagne is. It's just a mistake on draft day that stings. I'm not saying it's right. It's just interesting that the organization may actually take the step of looking more closely at the Q.

OK. Here's the Official Cucumber Coaching Dream Team:

Head coach: Jacques Lemaire

Assistant: Guy Carbonneau

Bring on the Cups!!! :thumbs_up:

Head Coach: Denis Savard

Assistant: Pascal Vincent

Fresh start!

• Upvote 1

You asked why, even though it's common sense. And we all know it's a crap shoot. As for a Pierre McGuire comment, he was a finalist for the job of our favorite team. It's just a prevailing attitude in this city. Why not look more closely at the local talent pool.

How bout agree to disagree on several items sir, different point of views it seems, which is fine.

Have a good weekend.

Harold Ballard was of a similar opinion and Don Cherry is as well, but you have to admit that their attitudes are just a bit passe dont you

Cherry scoffed a little on coaches corner when they were discussing Bergevin. He said "He's French too isn't he?" gave a sheepish grin and moved on.

About a month before that he totally ripped Burke because be had so many American players and staff when there is ALL THIS TALENT in Torona, or however he says it. It pissed me right off. Home grown talent is good when it's from Torona, but those damn frenchies... Ugh...

How bout agree to disagree on several items sir, different point of views it seems, which is fine.

Have a good weekend.

DON...I actually find you a breath of fresh air, and a really positive poster. When it comes down to it, we agree. I'm just not going to say the organization wants to win any less. Especially when a man like Scotty Bowman says the coach should speak French. At this point, I'll qualify my response. I'm an anglo/bilingual Montrealer. I'm not pushing any agenda.

Ya, we all know how old Gagne is. It's just a mistake on draft day that stings. I'm not saying it's right. It's just interesting that the organization may actually take the step of looking more closely at the Q.

When you consider that in the last 9 years (since Timmins was hired) only 1 NHL team has drafted more Q players than us, I don't think we've been neglecting the Q at all. I agree with MOLG, this is good PR for Bergevin, but it doesn't actually mean anything other than appeasing a couple chest thumpers in the media. Its not like we've been ignoring the Q.

When you consider that in the last 9 years (since Timmins was hired) only 1 NHL team has drafted more Q players than us, I don't think we've been neglecting the Q at all. I agree with MOLG, this is good PR for Bergevin, but it doesn't actually mean anything other than appeasing a couple chest thumpers in the media. Its not like we've been ignoring the Q.

That's a great stat. I suppose it's the star players that the team has by passed for scrubs that never made it, that get's people upset.

That's a great stat. I suppose it's the star players that the team has by passed for scrubs that never made it, that get's people upset.

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment; but other than Giroulx, who exactly are the 'star' Quebecers that Timmis has been in a position to draft, but passed over in favour of inferior players? Just asking. Because Giroulx is the only one I hear about - albeit ad nauseum.

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment; but other than Giroulx, who exactly are the 'star' Quebecers that Timmis has been in a position to draft, but passed over in favour of inferior players? Just asking. Because Giroulx is the only one I hear about - albeit ad nauseum.

David Perron & Simon Gagne are others I hear people pout about.

I don't think he was talking about just Quebecers, but I could be wrong...

I dunno. I guess it's just media driven. Just like the need for a French speaking coach. Meanwhile, we're getting a French speaking coach. And we're getting closer attention paid to the Q.

Well, I certainly have no problem with scouting the Q properly, nor with preferring hometown boys like Darche over comparable non-locals. But when it comes to the Habs's drafting record in Quebec, the fact that nobody can come up with anything other than Giroulx and Perron just goes to show how ridiculous the whole thing is. Especially when you consider that we took Pacioretty ahead of Perron in Round One - at worst a saw-off, since nobody would now argue for trading Patches for Perron. So really, the only clear recent instance of the Habs blowing a francophone pick is Giroulx. (Gagne is a lifetime ago in hockey terms and irrelevant to the current generation). It's just more proof that well-paid 'professional' commentators can't be bothered to actually look into the facts of an issue before spewing off about it and catering to ignorant fan prejudice.

Yes, missing superstar Giroulx was a tragic mistake. But you don't eviscerate a scouting staff for one mistake, nor draw sweeping general conclusions from it. The logic of those who condemn the Habs for missing Quebec talent ultimately demands that that the Habs MUST draft every single quality francophone player lest they miss one. But there are 29 other teams drafting in each round. Unless the Habs disregard player ranking and automatically draft any available francophone regardless of quality, the odds are heavily against them running the table on Quebecois talent in any given draft. There will always be francophones who thus escape the Habs's net. So the idea that there is something wrong with the Habs' drafting in Quebec is based on the premise that we are an affirmative-action program for French players irrespective of their mediocrity.

I'm so tired of the amount of nonsense that gets sprayed about on these sorts of issues. It's almost a case study in mass and media ignorance.