Bring back Staubitz?

BCHabnut

I think you need to sign 2 guys.

1) I'd go after Brandon Prust first.

2) Travis Moen

3) Aaron Asham

4) Gaustad

Staubitz isn't a bad choice, but he's plan D or E.

Exactly.

Staubitz is a unidimensional player. Goes out and he fights. We need a guy who has that toughness but can also play a regular shift. I wouldn't put Gaustad in the same category because he isn't nearly as tough. I also wouldn't include Moen because he's a much better player.

Staubitz is basically a goon. Might as well replace him with Scott or Barch or Janssen or whomever else. Played when he is really needed type of thing.

I would rather see team toughness with 4 guys like Moen, White, Tootoo, Glass, Bitz, Nichol, Asham, Prust, Burish, McLeod, Moss. In other words, get rid of those staged fighters but have a good solid 4 forwards and at least 1 d-man who'll never think twice about dropping the gloves and sticking up for teammates.

I'd love to see Moen on the 3rd again on the left of Eller and Leblanc and then a 4th line along the lines of: McLeod-White-Bitz.

No real heavy weight but don't 3 guys who'll crasha and bang and create a much.

On a side note, I have only seem him play a couple of times and I know his footwork needs alot of work but Schultz was quickly brought into a 3rd line capacity in a checking role. He seems to be defensively reliable so I wonder if we can play limited minutes on the 4th?

• Upvote 1

Exactly.

Staubitz is a unidimensional player. Goes out and he fights. We need a guy who has that toughness but can also play a regular shift. I wouldn't put Gaustad in the same category because he isn't nearly as tough. I also wouldn't include Moen because he's a much better player.

Staubitz is basically a goon. Might as well replace him with Scott or Barch or Janssen or whomever else. Played when he is really needed type of thing.

I would rather see team toughness with 4 guys like Moen, White, Tootoo, Glass, Bitz, Nichol, Asham, Prust, Burish, McLeod, Moss. In other words, get rid of those staged fighters but have a good solid 4 forwards and at least 1 d-man who'll never think twice about dropping the gloves and sticking up for teammates.

I'd love to see Moen on the 3rd again on the left of Eller and Leblanc and then a 4th line along the lines of: McLeod-White-Bitz.

No real heavy weight but don't 3 guys who'll crasha and bang and create a much.

On a side note, I have only seem him play a couple of times and I know his footwork needs alot of work but Schultz was quickly brought into a 3rd line capacity in a checking role. He seems to be defensively reliable so I wonder if we can play limited minutes on the 4th?

Everyone on 4th line play limited minutes.

And at $250,000 you dont much better value than Staubitz, even Knopka is 700 or so, for a couple minutes/game.

Goons are a dying breed, but almost every team has an idiot or 2 running around out there and a goon on the bench.

Shultz is like White and not a big time fighter (or so i am told), but he did show improvment last year and a 4th line of White-Staubitz and Shultz might rattle the boards pretty good?

And they are only likely to see 7-10 minutes /game at most (with White playing some on PK also), so how much harm could they cause.

Everyone on 4th line play limited minutes.

And at $250,000 you dont much better value than Staubitz, even Knopka is 700 or so, for a couple minutes/game.

Goons are a dying breed, but almost every team has an idiot or 2 running around out there and a goon on the bench.

Shultz is like White and not a big time fighter (or so i am told), but he did show improvment last year and a 4th line of White-Staubitz and Shultz might rattle the boards pretty good?

And they are only likely to see 7-10 minutes /game at most (with White playing some on PK also), so how much harm could they cause.

He did have 15 fights last year, good for 9th in the league. His record is 9-4-2, with 2 being the draws. I think that's a fairly good winning percentage.

Unidimensional might be pushing it a bit... he skates well for a tough guy, he throws good hits and is at least ok defensively.

• Upvote 2

He did have 15 fights last year, good for 9th in the league. His record is 9-4-2, with 2 being the draws. I think that's a fairly good winning percentage.

i think you are thinking of boxing. Could really care less about winning percentage, Kostopoulas is 0% for his career; but still stands up for his teammates every time, that takes balls and he is likely more valuable than a Shelley/BGL or Parros.

You're wrong. Kostopoulos was a total punching bag, and an embarrasment. If you have a guy out there who fights a lot but loses, where's the momentum in that? Who's afraid of Tom Kostopoulos?

i think you are thinking of boxing. Could really care less about winning percentage, Kostopoulas is 0% for his career; but still stands up for his teammates every time, that takes balls and he is likely more valuable than a Shelley/BGL or Parros.

This team was toughest, and got pushed around the least in 07-08 when guys like Kostopolous, Sergei Kostitsyn, and Guillaime Latendresse all got beat up in fights.

But that team stood tall together and worked to protect each other.

Team toughness isn't created by having one guy like Georges Laraque on your bench. Team toughness is a concept that the team must foster, the willingness to stand up for teammates and to fight together.

Its not always about winning a fight, its about showing that you are there and have your teammates backs.

It's one thing to have guys willing to stand up for teammates, but it's another thing to have a guy who can actually do it. Ultimately, having both is better than having just one of the two.

The guy who can actually do it, needs to be on the ice when the incidents happen or he's of little use due to the instigator rule.

The guy who can actually do it, needs to be on the ice when the incidents happen or he's of little use due to the instigator rule.

Exactly the reason why Laraque was and is worthless in today's NHL. Sure he probably has one of the best fighting records but what's the point when all of the fights are pre-planned? Hockey fights should be spontaneous and occur naturally because of emotion. I want a guy on my team that will punch a guy in his face because he is pissed off, not because it's "his role".

• Upvote 1

Exactly the reason why Laraque was and is worthless in today's NHL. Sure he probably has one of the best fighting records but what's the point when all of the fights are pre-planned? Hockey fights should be spontaneous and occur naturally because of emotion. I want a guy on my team that will punch a guy in his face because he is pissed off, not because it's "his role".

I see a day soon when fighting will not be a big factor and the NHL may join the 21st century.

You fight in NFL/Rugby/ NBA/MLB/Soccer/Any INternational Hockey event and you are instantly gone as well as fined normally.

I dont buy Cherry's arguement for it one bit and will be glad when the NHL owners finally man-up and bring in instant ejection from game for being childish. But till then i am fine with Staubitz playing his 5-6 minutes/game and join his peer on the ice once a night for a dance.

Humans will always love and cheer for a bloodsport, but a necessary part of Hockey not a chance. World juniors/Olympics is just super hockey and has zero fights.

You're wrong. Kostopoulos was a total punching bag, and an embarrasment. If you have a guy out there who fights a lot but loses, where's the momentum in that? Who's afraid of Tom Kostopoulos?

Let me ask you this. Who would you rather go to war with?

A mercenary or the squadron cook who despite his limited trench crawling ability will put his life on the line for u?

The cook will garner more respect from his teammates and his opponents than any one dimensional mercenary. Day in day out.

I'll take the cook any day of the week.

Let me ask you this. Who would you rather go to war with?

A mercenary or the squadron cook who despite his limited trench crawling ability will put his life on the line for u?

The cook will garner more respect from his teammates and his opponents than any one dimensional mercenary. Day in day out.

I'll take the cook any day of the week.

Especially if the cook is Steven Seagal

under_siege-updated-copy1.jpg

Let me ask you this. Who would you rather go to war with? A mercenary or the squadron cook who despite his limited trench crawling ability will put his life on the line for u? The cook will garner more respect from his teammates and his opponents than any one dimensional mercenary. Day in day out. I'll take the cook any day of the week.

Obviously a mercenary. Would the Bruins trade Sean Thornton for a Kostopoulos? Would Pittsburgh trade Steve McIntyre? Who really cares about "third line abilities?" We have a full team full of third liners. We need a fighter who can play 60 games a year, no compromises, Staubitz stays out of the way, he doesn't take stupid penalties and isn't a defensive liability. Seems like a lot of you guys were in love with Tommy Pyatt, hey, I got news for ya, he only had one goal too. I was only 6 or so, but doesn't anyone miss the Chris Nilan days? How about Donald Brashear? There's no coincidence that fans talk about their goon just as enthusiastically as a first line center. These guys kick ass!

My memory can be sketchy, but I seem to remember the players saying positive things about Staubitz - that they feel bigger, safer with him out there. Assuming they meant what they said, then that is all the argument I need. You can rationalize it away all you want, but if goons offer a psychological benefit to our skill players that is sufficient justification to have one. By the way, the Staubitz I saw was a legitimate fourth-liner who could play a few hockey minutes without hurting you. Maybe I'm wrong.

My memory can be sketchy, but I seem to remember the players saying positive things about Staubitz - that they feel bigger, safer with him out there. Assuming they meant what they said, then that is all the argument I need. You can rationalize it away all you want, but if goons offer a psychological benefit to our skill players that is sufficient justification to have one. By the way, the Staubitz I saw was a legitimate fourth-liner who could play a few hockey minutes without hurting you. Maybe I'm wrong.

I remember the Habs saying that about BGL too...

That being said, I do feel that Staubitz can play a few minutes with a positive impact, and he does keep the opposition honest to a certain degree. At a league minimum salary, why wouldn't we keep him?

I remember the Habs saying that about BGL too...

That being said, I do feel that Staubitz can play a few minutes with a positive impact, and he does keep the opposition honest to a certain degree. At a league minimum salary, why wouldn't we keep him?

Yeah, but they said that before it became obvious that he would only fight guys who issued him an engraved, perfumed invitation scheduling the tilt six months in advance. In any case, we agree, Staubitz is so cheap he seems to represent decent value for the dollar.

Yeah, but they said that before it became obvious that he would only fight guys who issued him an engraved, perfumed invitation scheduling the tilt six months in advance. In any case, we agree, Staubitz is so cheap he seems to represent decent value for the dollar.

If we're going to have a thirteenth forward, better it to be a scrapper than what we've had often being a part time winger/part time defenceman.

Staubitz should be back. I liked his contribution out there. He is more than a goon.

What else is he then? He finished the entire season with exactly 1 point. As for the forecheck game he finished the season between Minnesota and Montreal with 96 hits. I don;t see the big fan appraisal for wanting a guy back who doesn't score, rarely hits but who drops the gloves.

Compare that let's say with

Prust: 5g, 12 assists, 144 hits, 20 fighting majors

Tanner Glass: 5g, 11 assists, 246 hits, 8 fighting majors

or even a nobody like a Ryan Reaves who finished with 3g, 1 assist, 171 hits, and 14 majors.

Guys like Staubitz are a dime a dozen. We can very easily throw $550k towards 10-12 players who'll jump at the chance to play 4th line minutes, throw their weight around and stick up for teammates.

What else is he then? He finished the entire season with exactly 1 point. As for the forecheck game he finished the season between Minnesota and Montreal with 96 hits. I don;t see the big fan appraisal for wanting a guy back who doesn't score, rarely hits but who drops the gloves.

Compare that let's say with

Prust: 5g, 12 assists, 144 hits, 20 fighting majors

Tanner Glass: 5g, 11 assists, 246 hits, 8 fighting majors

or even a nobody like a Ryan Reaves who finished with 3g, 1 assist, 171 hits, and 14 majors.

Guys like Staubitz are a dime a dozen. We can very easily throw $550k towards 10-12 players who'll jump at the chance to play 4th line minutes, throw their weight around and stick up for teammates.

I agree with you but to be fair he wasn't here all year and the games he did play he played not to bad and he is tough. Glass and prust will be paid a fair bit more then him as well. Willey i am with you on taking a good hard long look at other options before we pay him anymore then 700k

Yes please. The best recomendation for keeping Staubitz is from his team mates who said in no uncertain terma they felt more protected, more space on the ice and Moen / White doesn't have to do all the heavy lifting.

he is a perfect fit for the price at #12 and 13 forward. You don't need him every night but 40-50 games is perfect for him.

I agree with you but to be fair he wasn't here all year and the games he did play he played not to bad and he is tough. Glass and prust will be paid a fair bit more then him as well. Willey i am with you on taking a good hard long look at other options before we pay him anymore then 700k

If the final decision is a guy like Staubitz or a guy like Pyatt or Trotter or Palushaj or Weber on the 4th line then to me it's a no braioner because I would love to see more toughness on this team. I just think Staubitz is a goon and that's the type of guy I don't. A guy like Konopka can at leas win a faceoff which would provide an element we need but even then a simple faceoff is not enough for me at least to warrant a guy like Konopka either.

I want a player who can play 80 games a year and in the playoffs, not just to drop the gloves against the oppositions tough guy.

If i were to list the players I want to fill my bottom line before Staubitz it would be:

Prust, Glass, Tootoo, Moss, McLeod, McClement, Mackenzie, Burish, Asham, Winnik (likely a 3rd liner though), Nichol, Bitz.

Yes please. The best recomendation for keeping Staubitz is from his team mates who said in no uncertain terma they felt more protected, more space on the ice and Moen / White doesn't have to do all the heavy lifting.

he is a perfect fit for the price at #12 and 13 forward. You don't need him every night but 40-50 games is perfect for him.

As a 13th forward I agree however that a guy like Staubitz would be alot more useful.

I liked him because he actually won a fight or two. It's all well and good to have guys like Moen and White who will fight, but it's so much better for my moral (and I assume his teammates) to see someone win. I don't want another BGL so Staubitz or someone like him is fine by me.

(null)