Dreger comments

nihilz

"Montreal picks third and Toronto goes fifth, obviously the rivals have identified the same group of players likely to go in the Top 5. Here's an idea, since compensation is no longer allowed for poaching coaches or executives, maybe Montreal flips picks with the Leafs as part of a bigger package that secretly covers off the inconvenience Toronto is dealing with in losing Dudley, a key member of the Maple Leafs management and draft team? Just a thought and purely my own."

Will never listen to this guy or take his opinion seriously again. What a tool. Such a irrational statement. He would NEVER make this kind of comment if it were FLA & TB swapping executives. I think the Dudley|Timmins combo has Dregs shaking in his lil Leafs undies.

Dregs lost lots of stock with me on this. Serious Marinaro moment for someone who usually garners lots of respect with his professionalism.

Dregs is Nonis' brother in law... working as a puppet for the Leafs organization is ridiculous.

Sorry Dregs, but the Leafs get no compensation... not unless we get 4x as much from the Lightnign for taking Brisebois, Boucher, and his two assistants.

As much as I think this was a dumb statement by Dregs, I still like to listen to him. He just had a brain fart!

Thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard come out of that mans mouth. If Dudley was bound by contract to the leafs and they didn't want to let him go, then they have that right. If not, then what are people whining about? Did 2 or 3 of our bright coaching candidates leave that way, with the Habs blessing? It happens all the time, and I have to say, I haven't read anything about Burke complaining, so this must be a fan/media issue?

I usually like hearing Dreger's comments, but yeah he's *really* Toronto biased.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Montreal traded a conditional thingy for the rights to Mats Sundin. When the negotiations fell thru(thus the conditional trade was null), Montreal STILL gave Toronto Grabovski...

Montreal traded a conditional thingy for the rights to Mats Sundin. When the negotiations fell thru(thus the conditional trade was null), Montreal STILL gave Toronto Grabovski...

I like how a second round pick is considered nothing today.

Plus Pateryn; I'm not sure he'll be an NHL'er but he should at least be a good piece to have in Hamilton.

I believe the Sundin deal and the Grabovski deal were separate deals, not related as suggested in that earlier thread.

I believe the Sundin deal and the Grabovski deal were separate deals, not related as suggested in that earlier thread.

They're related to an extent, Grabovski was supposed to be a part of the Sundin deal had a contract been reached. The actual trade was struck after the July 1st deadline passed.

A 2nd and Pateryn (a 5th drafted just days earlier) was what we got for Grabovski.

Considering the kid was a prospect, out of favour with the team, abandonned the team and took off on a flight to LA to talk to his agent, and didn't have a role, a 2nd + 5th was a decent return.

Thanks Dlbair/ didn't realize connection. The above statement was incorrect and that' s what I was trying to get at. Even though we moved Grabovski ultimately for Pateryn and a second, we didn't actually end up giving anything up for talking to Sundin.