Michel Therrien named head coach

Blonde Demon

Back to back bottom of barrel choices, yee-haw. hopefully a quick fire

JUst lucky the Habs got him before some other team snapped him up! :bonk:

I think the real problem is that it's difficult to separate Therrien from the crapola team the Habs iced the full season he was the coach. I mean, seriously, look at this roster:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000452002.html

Couple that with Audette's freak injury that season, and Koivu's cancer, and the team was really at a loss. Therrien isn't a sexy pick, I suppose people wanted their pet assistant somewhere to get hired, but I'm not completely put off by it. Still, I think it's the bad memories of the teams he was handed during his tenure from his coaching.

By the way, all this "stacked team" stuff.. most coaches that have success have a stacked team. Boston, Vancouver, LA, NYR, Washington, Pitts.. they all have more talent that the Habs. A coach has to take the talent he has and get the most out of it. Playing in a cup final is not a bad record. Detroit had a stacked team with a lot more experience.

People around here act like we have a cup team over flowing with talent that is held back by bad coaching... open your eyes. We are a mediocre team with some bright spots, but some major weaknesses too. Some great goaltending and even some good coaching has masked some problems, but let's not pretend that we were an amazing coach away from a cup. With the right talent, Therrien is capable of taking them deep in the playoffs. If he moves us up from last to a playoff position this year, will he be a good coach, or a terrible coach because we didn't win?

Is Julien a great coach for winning the cup, or a terrible coach for going out in round one this year?

There a many good coaches in this league and Therrien is probably one of them. If he has a decent team AND has the right chemistry with them, then he will do well. If the chemistry doesn't click, then he probably won't succeed. Only time will tell.

I couldn't agree with you more. Well stated!!

I want to echo an earlier post by Commandant - "I am disappoint". I hate retreads in any role, especially in this one. I am worried that this ISN'T french motivated and the GM actually thought he was the best GM available...I can stomach the fact it was done for political reasons.

Read more negative comments than positive ones since I heard the news this morning. I'm trying to stay positive about this hiring. Trying to convince myself that Therrien has learned some valuable lessons over the last ten seasons to make him a better coach.

I want to believe that he will do better this time around. You gotta believe he will try a hell of a lot harder to succeed with a second opportunity.

I'm gonna stay positive right now. But Michel, you're on an extremely short leash man.

How many years since Therrien was in Montreal, 8 or 10 years, I would think that any person will change over time. For that reason I do not care about his temper issues of 10 years ago, what I do care about is has he learned and grown over time. He is not the same man he was 10 years ago, none of us are who we were 10 years ago, we learn from our mistakes and move on. Give me someone who does not make mistakes and I will give you someone who never makes decisions and who does not care. I will wait and give Therrien the benefit of the doubt.

Would you prefer I say a terrible NHL track record. He failed with us once before, he failed in Pittsburgh and since being fired in 09 how many head coaching jobs has he even been considered for? This is the first time I've heard his name come up in connection with a head coaching vacancy in 3 years. If he's such a great coach surely some other team would have called, no?

And Carbo has people gunning for him? Or Crawford?

He failed in Pitts? He went to the finals against the Red Wings. I guess unless he wins a cup every year he is a loser?

His first run with the Habs was as a rookie coach with a mediocre team.

How many years since Therrien was in Montreal, 8 or 10 years, I would think that any person will change over time. For that reason I do not care about his temper issues of 10 years ago, what I do care about is has he learned and grown over time. He is not the same man he was 10 years ago, none of us are who we were 10 years ago, we learn from our mistakes and move on. Give me someone who does not make mistakes and I will give you someone who never makes decisions and who does not care. I will wait and give Therrien the benefit of the doubt.

Exactly. This negativity definitely stems from old wounds. I'm gonna back MB's decision until he proves me wrong otherwise.

And Carbo has people gunning for him? Or Crawford?

He failed in Pitts? He went to the finals against the Red Wings. I guess unless he wins a cup every year he is a loser?

And who said Carbo or Crawford are good coachs?

No one cares who loses finals; but to lose finals and then get fired the next year, with your replacement winning cup and not coaching since; maybe he is not a loser (defitinely a Cull) but he aint a coach at top of my, nor any of 29 other teams list for any of a couple dozen hires since he was fired.

And who said Carbo or Crawford are good coachs?

No one cares who loses finals; but to lose finals and then get fired the next year, with your replacement winning cup and not coaching since; maybe he is not a loser (defitinely a Cull) but he aint a coach at top of my, nor any of 29 other teams list for any of a couple dozen hires since he was fired.

Now its time to see if all those teams made a mistake ;)

I'll give him a fair chance...the roster was pitiful during his first go-around. Not a coach on the planet that's going to do great things with a top line of Zednik/Sucko/Audette

My issue with Therrien is two fold

1) throwing his players under the bus in the media.

2) his blowups behind the bench, especially the one that cost us the Carolina series in 2002.

If he fixes those, I'm fine with him. But they continued to be problems in Pittsburgh.

I gotta say this. And, people can call me ignorant or whatever they choose but..

Its moments like this, It shames me to be a Quebecer.

Imo decisions like this reflect the idiocy of quebec mentality. Insanity. Keep stickin the needle in the same vein.

I will now cheer for the Wild and pray the Nordiques come back and free the Canadiens of the separatist tunnel vision that engulfs quebec's society to a detriment.

Thanks french media!

Now its time to see if all those teams made a mistake ;)

Great to hear positive spin and hope you are correct, but as the coaching polls i saw, Terrian was at bottom of list, even amung just the french guys. But maybe Berevin sees something the public dosent, maybe RDS is building him a new pool of some other kickback, or just blackmailing him? haha :ph34r:

He's gonna have a mediocre team for his second run as well. You are not giving coaches enough credit. Paul McLean is a perfect example of a mediocre team playing well with exceptional coaching. Noone predicted Ottawa to make the playoffs this year, and on paper, they were not much.

I still don't know who people think was a better choice that was actually available.

If you want NHL experience, Roy and most of the favorite "assistants" are out.

if you don't like Therrien's emotion, then Roy is out.

Crawford? Not bad, but fired many times too.

One nice part about a retread... Therrien now understands what it is like to be in Montreal. He just might have learned a few things. Why don't we see.

There are better coaches, but I don't think they were available since they are gainfully employeed in the NHL now. I mean, Crosby is better then our number one center, but we can't have him can we. So pining for him is pointless.

I have to believe that the new staff (with no real ties to Therrien) liked what they saw and heard in the interview process. Since none of us were there, why don't we give them the benefit of the doubt that this was the top available candidate. Did French language have an impact. Sure, but reality is what it is. They had to hire a french speaking coach and we all know it. We don't have to like it, but don't pretend that if we were in their position we would just snub our noses at the fans in Quebec and hire anyone we pleased. People say "but if that coach wins us the cup, who cares". Well, we are not likely to win the cup with Scotty Bowman at the helm with this team. The cup is also a long way off. A war with the french media would kill any coach long before he could prove himself.

A war with the french media would kill any coach long before he could prove himself.

The fact that we have come to accept this as fact is sad as citizens never mind as sports fans.

• Upvote 1

The fact that we have come to accept this as fact is sad as citizens never mind as sports fans.

I agree. I am an anglophone, but there it is.

The funny thing is that even if the best candidate was french, some would call him crap because he must have been hired because he was French.

Personally, I didn't see too many English coaches available I liked any better then Therrien, Carbo, or Crawford. I still want to know who people think is so much better, that only an idiot would hire Therrien over that candidate. Most of the candidates are all a risk, and all so close to each other it is just opinion from afar on who would be best.

He was going to miss the playoffs with the 2009 Penguins. They fired him, went 18-3-3 and won the Cup.

His teams are cosistently lousy at even strength. And even strength is 90% of the game.

This hiring is embarassing.

I agree. I am an anglophone, but there it is.

The funny thing is that even if the best candidate was french, some would call him crap because he must have been hired because he was French.

Personally, I didn't see too many English coaches available I liked any better then Therrien, Carbo, or Crawford. I still want to know who people think is so much better, that only an idiot would hire Therrien over that candidate. Most of the candidates are all a risk, and all so close to each other it is just opinion from afar on who would be best.

Doesn't matter who I think is better or more qualified.

Its shooting fish in buckets instead of fishing in the ocean that really grinds my gears.

• Upvote 1