Michel Therrien named head coach

Blonde Demon

He was going to miss the playoffs with the 2009 Penguins. They fired him, went 18-3-3 and won the Cup.

His teams are cosistently lousy at even strength. And even strength is 90% of the game.

This hiring is embarassing.

Most coaches have a shelf life with a team. This is nothing new. You could say the same for Darrly Sutter, but he is about to win a cup.

I am not sure Therrien will be hugely successful, but people are overreacting. He was listed as a viable candidate for this job from day one by hockey analysts. He is not out of left field.

Carbo was a more surprising choice a few years ago. Roy would have been the complete capitulation to the Quebec media, imo. Again, I don't think many of these anglophone coaches had any interest in this job, so how do you hire them if they say "no thanks".

This habsinsideout poll personally reflects my current sentiment and disposition.

• Q: Which one of the following candidates would you like to see as the Canadiens’ new head coach?

• Marc Crawford (28%, 1,343 Votes)
    • Guy Carbonneau (25%, 1,203 Votes)
    • Jacques Lemaire (22%, 1,057 Votes)
    • Patrick Roy (21%, 1,035 Votes)
    • Michel Therrien (4%, 236 Votes)

Total Voters: 4,875

And, you can add Robinson, Gallant, Groulx, Vincent & Savard to that list taking away from Therrien's 4% as well.

Edited by nihilz

I wanted a new start.

I will repeat : If Patrick Roy wins a Stanley Cup with another team before the Habs win one, I'll lose it bad. Real bad.

M'a être en tabarnac !

I'm sick of armchair analyzing every Hab move.

Most people do it to either prove they are right or do it to act like they never said they were going to be wrong.

Or people like to say how the team proved them wrong and how oh such great fans they are for doubting the team but sticking around.

I'm giving Bergevin four years. Four years to do whatever to the team. If in two years this team is absolutely terrible and lost all of the good prospects, I won't judge until 2016.

As for Therrien, he's just a part of Bergevin's decisions. Same to everyone else.

No more over crediting the scouts or under crediting the coaching staff. It all goes back to Bergevin.

Maybe this takes the fun out of being a message board hockey fan but I'm sick of the non experts. Can't believe I'm saying that.

I guess I just don't care enough anymore.

Most people do it to either prove they are right or do it to act like they never said they were going to be wrong.

Or people like to say how the team proved them wrong and how oh such great fans they are for doubting the team but sticking around.

I'm giving Bergevin four years. Four years to do whatever to the team. If in two years this team is absolutely terrible and lost all of the good prospects, I won't judge until 2016.

As for Therrien, he's just a part of Bergevin's decisions. Same to everyone else.

No more over crediting the scouts or under crediting the coaching staff. It all goes back to Bergevin.

Maybe this takes the fun out of being a message board hockey fan but I'm sick of the non experts. Can't believe I'm saying that.

I guess I just don't care enough anymore.

What is an expert? A failed GM? An analyst? Don Cherry's? Out of work coachs? Ex-players?

And i doubt you dont care, you may be a bit fed up with this or that but..

Like I said before. I find it very interesting that all fans wanted Vignault, who won the presidents trophy two years in a row and could not win a cup, yet Therrien who coached a young squad to the finals against a tough Detroit team, is way more inferior. I am not a huge Therrien fan, but I am not totally insensed over this. He developed a lot of the young players in Pittsburgh very well. He lost the room in the last year and was let go, but this happens repeated to many good coaches. It is very interesting that relatively successful Vignault receives fan approval but relatively successful Therrien does not.

Like I said before. I find it very interesting that all fans wanted Vignault, who won the presidents trophy two years in a row and could not win a cup, yet Therrien who coached a young squad to the finals against a tough Detroit team, is way more inferior. I am not a huge Therrien fan, but I am not totally insensed over this. He developed a lot of the young players in Pittsburgh very well. He lost the room in the last year and was let go, but this happens repeated to many good coaches. It is very interesting that relatively successful Vignault receives fan approval but relatively successful Therrien does not.

Winning a Cup requires most everything to go your way. What I like about Vignault is his tactics: he's aggressive in putting his best offensive players in offensive situations (leading to career highs for the Sedins with scoring titles for each) and putting defensive players in really tough situations (Manny Malhotra goes out for 9 defensive zone faceoffs for every offensive zone faceoff he gets). It works very well.

As far as 'developing young players', please... Crosby Malkin and Staal were not going to ever suck. He did get the only really good season Fleury has ever provided, but I doubt that was anything but luck. He needed his GM to steal Hossa to win the East in a year where it was quite wide open, and his team was still a below average puck possession team despite all that talent. Bylsma arrives and takes a team that was going to miss the playoffs as a bad possession team and flips it into a good possession club that wins the Cup.... against Detroit WITH Hossa.

• Upvote 1

As I recall, the year he was fired in Pitt, his best offensive defenseman (Sergei Gonchar) was hurt all year, and came back to play the last 20 games or so, after Therrien was fired. Excuses, maybe, but if Markov were with the habs all year, I believe they would have been a lot better too. Thats just how it goes sometimes. Like I said, when he was here last time, he got a lot out of a crappy team. Lets hope he gets something better to work with this year, and I hope we finally get a bit of stability in the coaching department.

He was going to miss the playoffs with the 2009 Penguins. They fired him, went 18-3-3 and won the Cup.

His teams are cosistently lousy at even strength. And even strength is 90% of the game.

This hiring is embarassing.

The team he had didn't have gonchar.

The team Bylsma got did.

We've seen the difference Markov can make on our own club.

It's a 3 year deal for Therrien.

NHL standard for a new hire (extensions are shorter, but not new hires, generally speaking.

I'd like to point out that Jacques Martin basically never had Markov. He also never had Crosby or Malkin.

He had the Sens though.....

When my wife texted me at work that we had signed Therrien I was niether surprised, excited nor disappointed. He isn't the rookie coach he was back then, and has had some time away from the league to get a new perspective. He has shown he can handle young talent and that can't hurt us. I will researve any judgement on him until the season gets going. I was one of the many calling for his head back when. I wanted Vigneault fired back when too, but was hoping to get him back. Aging isn't all bad!

i don't like the move - i think most Habs fans don't like the move ... i think at the end of the day, the opinion of French media isn't actually that important because we all know how fickle they are and Bergevin has to know that they will find a new favorite in no time ...

that's why i actually think Therrien is a very gutsy move by Bergevin. a failed re-tred, his first HC hire that will define so much of how we will see him as GM. this is not the popular or easy choice --- i HAVE to believe that whatever quality Bergevin values the most (by the presser, it sounds like it was leadership), that Therrien won the battle for the job and was the best leader of players available.

*fingers crossed*

I am not sure if he is a great choice, but I am not surprised. For me, he was the front runner all along. The only one who had a real chance, other than him, was Alain Vigneault but he was not available. Roy had no experience, had too much of an ego to coach such a team; Hartley, I never believed he was a real challenger; Crawford's record was not good enough, particularly in his last five years behind a bench. Who else had NHL coaching experience and was able to communicate in French? Nobody.

IMO, Therrien had a good reputation in the league, despite his lack of success in the playoffs. I am ready to give him a second chance. First of all, I don't have the choice; secondly, I came to like the guy during the last season while listening to his comments at L'Antichambre. With Vincent Damphousse et Guy Charbonneau (don't be surprised if Therrien chooses him as assistant-coach), he was one of the most knowledgeable participants to the show.

I wish him a long and successfull tenure. Let's hope, for the sake of the team, that he will be able to lead the team to a higher level and keep it that way for a long time.

Hopefully Therrien hires Larry Robinson as an assistant, we need somebody in this new management regime who can speak proper English... LOL!

• Upvote 1

I think you just lack passion. This team hasn't won a CUp since 1993, and our fans are turning into Leafs fans. Give them 4 more years??? That's what Leafs fans do. I have heard that when Gainey took over, the famous 5 year plan, then when Gauthier took over it was, give him 3 years, now I'm hearing 4 years for Bergevin. This losing and accepting of a losing team is unacceptable. We are not Leafs fans and we don't chear for the Leafs, please stop blindly accepting mediocrity and adding years to this "rebuilding process".

I think you just lack passion. This team hasn't won a CUp since 1993, and our fans are turning into Leafs fans. Give them 4 more years??? That's what Leafs fans do. I have heard that when Gainey took over, the famous 5 year plan, then when Gauthier took over it was, give him 3 years, now I'm hearing 4 years for Bergevin. This losing and accepting of a losing team is unacceptable. We are not Leafs fans and we don't chear for the Leafs, please stop blindly accepting mediocrity and adding years to this "rebuilding process".

Wait, I'm not supposed to give Bergevin any time? Bergevin needs to be fired on his first mistakes?

You have to give management room. Otherwise you're just playing an EA Sports hockey game. Seriously, what teams fire new GMs in their first two years?