Fire Therrien!

C-Love

Andy Murray would be very interested.

Brent Sutter was never contacted.

Gallant doesn't speak it.

Brent Sutter?

2007–08 New Jersey Devils NHL 82 46 29 — 7 99 2nd in Atlantic Lost Eastern Conference quarter-final 2008–09 New Jersey Devils NHL 82 51 27 — 4 106 1st in Atlantic Lost Eastern Conference quarter-final 2009–10 Calgary Flames NHL 82 40 32 — 10 90 3rd in Northwest Did not qualify 2010-11 Calgary Flames NHL 82 41 29 — 12 94 2nd in Northwest Did not qualify 2011-12 Calgary Flames NHL 82 37 29 — 16 90 2nd in Northwest

Did not qualify

Call me not that excited.

Murray was just fired by the team about to win the cup. Yet Therrien getting fired in year three by the Pens is proof he is bad.

By the way, listening to an interview with Bergevin. One thing that impressed him was that Therrien was candid about the mistakes he has made and what he has learned.

Brent Sutter?

2007–08 New Jersey Devils NHL 82 46 29 — 7 99 2nd in Atlantic Lost Eastern Conference quarter-final 2008–09 New Jersey Devils NHL 82 51 27 — 4 106 1st in Atlantic Lost Eastern Conference quarter-final 2009–10 Calgary Flames NHL 82 40 32 — 10 90 3rd in Northwest Did not qualify 2010-11 Calgary Flames NHL 82 41 29 — 12 94 2nd in Northwest Did not qualify 2011-12 Calgary Flames NHL 82 37 29 — 16 90 2nd in Northwest

Did not qualify

Call me not that excited.

Murray was just fired by the team about to win the cup. Yet Therrien getting fired in year three by the Pens is proof he is bad.

By the way, listening to an interview with Bergevin. One thing that impressed him was that Therrien was candid about the mistakes he has made and what he has learned.

ANDY MURRAY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Murray_%28ice_hockey%29

So did Therrien.

I find it funny how people point to junior success and then when we get the coach they bash them for not having NHL experience.

We are not the place for a rookie coach. We are a franchise that deserves someone with experience. For example, let Muller learn the big boy ropes down in Carolina. Maybe in two years he will be ready to come back.

We want an NHL experienced coach.

As for all the anglophones willing to take the job.. well, I doubt it. If they are really qualified, they will get a job away from this circus. They don't need this one.

We all know an Englishman could easily do the job, especially if have a winning record, but we all know he would be chased by lynchmob much quicker than Therrian if not winning, that is a given.

You say they dont need or want to be under the media gong show in Montreal, maybe true for some and maybe not for others, some would for sure see it as the greatest challange and take the job with both eyes wide open. How did Bowman get the job?

But for me i argue just on principle, Hire the best coach period, fremch/english i could care less. And i could also care less if language thing has been beaten to death, it is wrong basis to hire a coach, if winning is priority #1.

Sure they can find the best fit to appease media and politicians, as they just have done and get by with same mediocre results we have had for past 20 years.

But; it seems french coachs are being shuffled on a fairly quick rotation through Montreal with no success at all. So maybe, just maybe a smart GM might have the balls to hire, simply the best person and media be damned, for a change.

As Gauthier did when shipped out Halak, even when he knew the shit storm it would cause. It was the very tough, but likely correct decision

Hard to fault the reasoning. I personally have the comfort of the certainty that I know less than everyone.

Therien is now my coach.

Hard to fault the reasoning. I personally have the comfort of the certainty that I know less than everyone.

Therien is now my coach.

haha I said that today, that he is my new coach, I thought it was weird! but I'm not the only one so I feel better :P

• Upvote 1

He's the coach for now and we all have to cross our fingers that he has learned how to do it. Because reading this is disheartening:

http://nhl-red-light...ime-be-a-charm/

Scares away UFAs - check.

Specializes in boring defensive systems - check.

Considered a suspect bench manager - check. (This is the tactical mastermind who put a winger out to take a critical faceoff on a play that cost us the series in 2004, after drawing a bench minor and throat-slashing an opposition player. Awesome).

Alienates elite players on his roster - check.

Spent hours on RDS attacking PK Subban - check.

On the plus side, two good seasons with a world-class, developing roster in Pittsburgh, a team that got so disgusted with his antics that the organization felt compelled to throw him out in the street in the first season after re-signing him to a 4-year deal.

What we appear to have here is a more abrasive version of Jacques Martin. But hey, he's better with the media, so obviously that makes him the best choice. Welcome to Montreal, where merit is never an issue.

Anyway, I predict one good, fruitful season - the players will be highly motivated and malleable after last year's debacle - and everyone will praise the wisdom of hiring French Canadians to run the show. This will be followed by the usual semi-annual Habs' meltdown with a full player revolt somewhere on the horizon. We just have to hope this bozo doesn't drive Subban or other great young players out of town before he finally ends up on the trash heap for which he is almost certainly destined.

The throat slash at Kyle McLaren was great.... I'll criticize him for a lot of things, but not for that. His press conference after that game was memorable too, I'm disappoint that no one has put it on youtube.

We just have to hope this bozo doesn't drive Subban or other great young players out of town before he finally ends up on the trash heap for which he is almost certainly destined.

Who did he drive out of Pittsburgh? Or Montreal for that matter?

I find it odd that Crosby gets the crybaby reputation around the league and he only had good things to say about Therrien.

Interesting analysis here:

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2012/6/10/3076762/player-usage-chart-for-michel-therriens-2007-2008-penguins

The short of it is that Therrien is actually quite good at bench management and actually horrendous at overall systems, given that his Pens got routinely outshot and were dominated in puck possession.

The analysis suggests that Therrien is the very definition of coaching mediocrity. Not out-and-out incompetent, just not very good. Barring a significant improvement in Therrien's acumen, it sounds like we should get ready for a reprise of the Habs circa 2010, where we got outshot and out-possessed continually. Fun times ahead.

Interesting analysis here:

http://www.habseyeso...7-2008-penguins

The short of it is that Therrien is actually quite good at bench management and actually horrendous at overall systems, given that his Pens got routinely outshot and were dominated in puck possession.

The analysis suggests that Therrien is the very definition of coaching mediocrity. Not out-and-out incompetent, just not very good. Barring a significant improvement in Therrien's acumen, it sounds like we should get ready for a reprise of the Habs circa 2010, where we got outshot and out-possessed continually. Fun times ahead.

Perhaps an experienced assistant can help the habs implement a winning system. Interestingly, Therrien mentioned that he felt the habs needed a strong system during his meeting with the press, and one would think that he actually had a system to talk about during the long and intensive interview process. And here's one more intangible that we can hope for, that is, people do sometimes learn from experience, actually, it happens quite often. It is quite possible, even likely, that during his time away from coaching, Therrien has developed a few ideas on how to better implement a winning system that players can follow. Wouldn't that be something?

Perhaps an experienced assistant can help the habs implement a winning system. Interestingly, Therrien mentioned that he felt the habs needed a strong system during his meeting with the press, and one would think that he actually had a system to talk about during the long and intensive interview process. And here's one more intangible that we can hope for, that is, people do sometimes learn from experience, actually, it happens quite often. It is quite possible, even likely, that during his time away from coaching, Therrien has developed a few ideas on how to better implement a winning system that players can follow. Wouldn't that be something?

I think in every post I've made relating to this issue, I've qualified my negativism with the possibility that Therrien has learned from the past and is now equipped to be more than mediocre. This is, however, a complete leap of faith. Up to now, the guy has been a mediocrity as an NHL coach. It would be nuts to be super positive about this hiring based on the body of work.

• Upvote 2

I've heard and read more than a few reporters and commentators say recently that Pittsburgh has missed the defensive schemes and system that Therrien had put in place while he was there.

He was also a finalist for coach of the year in the NHL.

He also coached his team in Pittsburgh to first place finishes and a berth in the finals against Detroit one of those years.

He has also been spoken highly of by Sidney Crosby and Doug Gilmour, players he coached.

And he has coached teams at every level to either first place finishes or championships.

Let's at least give him a chance before we are so negative and critical.

Hey, that's what I'm talking about!! GIving him a chance! You've got the spirit!

For me it is just Martin II and i hope the team wins despite a mediocre coach; but, i have set the bar low for expectations and another top pick, in a good looking 2013 draft class, may still be in the works and be good in long run?

• Upvote 1

This thread is going nowhere, the man has not even stepped on the ice or behind the bench. Let's move on and allow time for the man to make his first mistake. What he did years ago amounts to nothing, zilch, nata. :angry2:

I predict that many will be very pleased at how well the team plays and how successful we end up being.

• Upvote 1

I predict that many will be very pleased at how well the team plays and how successful we end up being.

Hope you are correct; but, enough of that positive stuff!

this is a negative topic thread. haha

Actually, I would not be surprised if this year goes rather well. Expectations are low, enthusiasm will be high as everyone gets a fresh slate, the players will be motivated, and we are unlikely to suffer the same perfect storm of things going wrong as last year. It's over the following season I'd expect Therrien's limitations to become a problem - if, indeed, he hasn't learned anything from his previous failures.

I was not happy when I first read that he was confirmed as the head coach.

That said I will give him plenty of time to impress me.

I am also incredibly interested in how he will build the remainder of his coaching team.

• 7 months later...

As the person who started this thread, I would like to take the opportunity to come on here and state that I was wrong and jumped all over MT without giving him a chance and simply basing my opinion of the hiring on his history.

We are only 4 games into the season, and I very clearly see that this team is moving in the right direction, I believe if we were 1-3 rather than 3-1 I would be saying the same thing as it's his direction and leadership that has changed the mentality in the dressing room/on ice performance that is most notable. This is a team that looks completely different from last years squad even though in actualilty it is very similiar.

I was wrong and now applaud the hiring of Therrien and for the first time in a long time I am very optimistic about this club and believe we have a chance to win every night.

• Upvote 1

As the person who started this thread, I would like to take the opportunity to come on here and state that I was wrong and jumped all over MT without giving him a chance and simply basing my opinion of the hiring on his history. We are only 4 games into the season, and I very clearly see that this team is moving in the right direction, I believe if we were 1-3 rather than 3-1 I would be saying the same thing as it's his direction and leadership that has changed the mentality in the dressing room/on ice performance that is most notable. This is a team that looks completely different from last years squad even though in actualilty it is very similiar. I was wrong and now applaud the hiring of Therrien and for the first time in a long time I am very optimistic about this club and believe we have a chance to win every night.

Very well put. This keeps up and I going to start the Therrien coach of the year thread. :habslogo::lol:

After 20 years of ineptitude, I find myself unable to handle a GM who apparently knows what he's doing and a coach who has obviously improved. Clearly this organization wants to become more Leaf-like and proudly shout 1993 in 25 years time, so in that vein, I hereby call for Therrien to be fired so we can hire some boob who will instil the necessary mediocrity which will ensure our ongoing incompetence.

After 20 years of ineptitude, I find myself unable to handle a GM who apparently knows what he's doing and a coach who has obviously improved. Clearly this organization wants to become more Leaf-like and proudly shout 1993 in 25 years time, so in that vein, I hereby call for Therrien to be fired so we can hire some boob who will instil the necessary mediocrity which will ensure our ongoing incompetence.

LOL