Fire Therrien!

C-Love

I predict that many will be very pleased at how well the team plays and how successful we end up being.

I would like to humbly point out that about 7 months after making the above bold prediction things seem to be going very well and I personally really like the system MT has implemented. So far I find them a lot of fun to watch...especially with our "rooks"!!

They lost their second game. Therrien has to go. He also removed the tri-hi-fi' from Subbanator and Pricicle. Double bad. Don Cherry for coach!

If Cherry was coach I can guarantee you that Mike Zigomantis would be a hab and quite possibly the captain.

• 1 month later...

San Jose: Considering playing Brent Burns as a forward.

Vancouver: Playing Cam Barker and Andrew Alberts over Keith Ballard

Montreal: Held Eller and Subban's minutes back until they were playing better than ever

Fire Therrien?

:scared:

Yes I believe this thread was started a a joke.

But I am sure there is someone who believes Therrien is holding the Habs back.

After all every fan base has loony tunes.

I guess we should wait and ask Cucumber in the summer ;)

Ha ha, well, I'm certainly happy to be proved wrong whenever I predict bad things for our boys! Clearly Therrien has done a great job to this point.

Of course, were I the defensive sort, I would point out that

1. I predicted this would be Therrien's best season because the players would be so motivated; and

2. Every time I attacked the hiring, I also added the proviso that my criticisms would only apply if Therrien had failed to learn lessons from his mediocre track record.

Now (2) is what really interests me. Just in the way he conducts himself, Therrien seems much more polished and under control than in his first stint with us, and in his time in Pittsburgh. We have heard nothing about how 'tough' he is or any of that stuff. It could be that MT really has matured into a fine NHL coach. If that's right, then he was a splendid hiring by Bergevin, who was (presumably) able to see past the questionable track record and identify a guy who had been through the wars and learned from them.

All that said, the true test of a coach is not 30 games...let's see where we are in the second half of next season. If the team is still playing like this and not getting frayed and aggravated by MT, then we can consider the issue settled.

I couldn't help but compare a bit and wonder about a question we can never answer. I thought we were going to have Bob Hartley as our coach last summer. But I also liked MT's track record and having been fired in Montreal and Pittsburgh I thought he almost by default would have matured and grown both as a person and coach. In hindsight, yes I know about the 20/20 vision thing, I do not believe Hartley or Mark Crawford would have done as well as MT has. Whether it was luck or MB really felt that MT would do a great job, this has really come together for us well. His system is working, the players have bought in, the young guys have been given a chance, and the new guys have all added to our team in a tangible way. And from my view of things the players all seem to respect him. So I agree this could be his best year, but it could also be the beginning of quite a few years of a really good team, both on the ice and off.

Ha ha, well, I'm certainly happy to be proved wrong whenever I predict bad things for our boys! Clearly Therrien has done a great job to this point.

Of course, were I the defensive sort, I would point out that

1. I predicted this would be Therrien's best season because the players would be so motivated; and

2. Every time I attacked the hiring, I also added the proviso that my criticisms would only apply if Therrien had failed to learn lessons from his mediocre track record.

Now (2) is what really interests me. Just in the way he conducts himself, Therrien seems much more polished and under control than in his first stint with us, and in his time in Pittsburgh. We have heard nothing about how 'tough' he is or any of that stuff. It could be that MT really has matured into a fine NHL coach. If that's right, then he was a splendid hiring by Bergevin, who was (presumably) able to see past the questionable track record and identify a guy who had been through the wars and learned from them.

All that said, the true test of a coach is not 30 games...let's see where we are in the second half of next season. If the team is still playing like this and not getting frayed and aggravated by MT, then we can consider the issue settled.

Oh of course, was simply ribbing ;)

I've kept the opinion throughout that Therrien would be good for the club but would have a shelf life of three seasons. If anything the shelf life might be extending. The truth is guys like Blysma came into the NHL and everyone thought you now needed a coach who coddles and babysits you instead of a coach who tries to temper you like a blacksmith with a sword. My reaction and many folks reaction to how he handled Eller and Subban was one where he was a guy who wasn't paying attention to the assets he had. Instead, Therrien felt he could get more out of them than what he had saw in the past and he was right. Eller and Subban are playing the best games of their young careers.

The one thing I can say is that 26 games in you can see why Bergevin brought him in. Therrien believes everyone should play. Our fourth liners get the kind of minutes other teams third liners get. I think that builds depth on a team. We won't be struggling after a star player gets an injury anymore because the team won't rely on one player as much. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.