Euro 2012 thread

EHIW_HWL

anyone watching this apart from me?

Feeling France to win, I do want Russia or Poland to win the whole tournament, but France feel like a dark horse who could win

Group Predictions

Group A

Russia 9

Poland 6

Czech Republic 3

Greece 0

Group B

Germany 7

Portugal 4

Holland 4

Denmark 0

Group C

Spain 7

Croatia 6

Italy 4

Ireland 0

Group D

France 7

Ukraine 7

Sweden 3

England 0

Wow you're not optimistic for your country and neighbour Ireland and also Sweden. What happened to England??!

My optimism wants England to get 0 points, and Ireland are in a group with a team which isn't good, England don't have Rooney for Sweden and France, and Roy Hodgson picked a lot of mediocre players as injury replacements aswell as in the initial squad :) and even with Rooney back for the game against Ukraine, I can't see them winning or drawing, Ukraine are too strong in their homeland. Sweden I can't see beating Ukraine or France, though they will be close games.

Group B is sick !!!

I love Germany's chances though. I think Spain should go pretty far in the tournament again.

Can someone explain me why Germany won't be at the Olympics? How come they couldN't qualify? I thought they were one of the best football countries

Can someone explain me why Germany won't be at the Olympics? How come they couldN't qualify? I thought they were one of the best football countries

Germany weren't in the top 3 of the U21 tournament which was Spain, Switzerland and Belarus

Germany weren't in the top 3 of the U21 tournament which was Spain, Switzerland and Belarus

Olympics are U23, rather than U21. I believe Canada qualified, though I can't say for sure off the top of my head since I stopped following the CONCACAF qualifying after the US gave up an elimination goal past the final minute of stoppage time.

As for Euro 2012, I've been looking forward to it for months. I'm using 8 hours of PTO so I can see the good afternoon games live. I've had the time off scheduled pretty much since the schedule was released, haha. My top two teams in the past have been Spain and the Netherlands, though Spain won't be as much fun without David Villa. I'm very nervous about the Dutch team, as their group is insane. Definitely pulling for them and Germany out of that group.

Olympics are U23, rather than U21. I believe Canada qualified, though I can't say for sure off the top of my head since I stopped following the CONCACAF qualifying after the US gave up an elimination goal past the final minute of stoppage time.

As for Euro 2012, I've been looking forward to it for months. I'm using 8 hours of PTO so I can see the good afternoon games live. I've had the time off scheduled pretty much since the schedule was released, haha. My top two teams in the past have been Spain and the Netherlands, though Spain won't be as much fun without David Villa. I'm very nervous about the Dutch team, as their group is insane. Definitely pulling for them and Germany out of that group.

UEFA's representation is done through the European U21 Tournament

UEFA's representation is done through the European U21 Tournament

Makes sense because the U21 tourney is 2 years before the olympics, which means it will be the same players (more or less) in the U23 squad.

• 2 weeks later...

The Dutch suck. Very disgusted with them. I figured Spain was a lot more likely to put in a performance like that without Puyol and Villa, but man, the Dutch just were terrible. The put together maybe 45 good minutes across all three games. They just seemed to give up whenever things got tough.

The Dutch suck. Very disgusted with them. I figured Spain was a lot more likely to put in a performance like that without Puyol and Villa, but man, the Dutch just were terrible. The put together maybe 45 good minutes across all three games. They just seemed to give up whenever things got tough.

Very surprised myself, how does a team go from World Cup Finalist to not passing the group stage in 2 years time?? Simply mind boggling.

Very surprised myself, how does a team go from World Cup Finalist to not passing the group stage in 2 years time?? Simply mind boggling.

I heard quite a few people talking about the Dutch as being a surprise to not advance, but I thought they were just trying to be unconventional. I knew in that group it'd be tough, but I still thought they'd manage to advance along with Germany. Was vanBronkhorst that influential as captain and leader of the D core? They seemed lost out there.

Our guys went 6/8 on teams advancing... missed on Sweden over England, and Czechs over Russia.

Excited for the Quarters!

My team (France) is up against the defending world champions! After their lackluster performance against Sweden, I hope they can bounce back! They have the talent to pull it off but it won't be easy. I won't be sad if they don't win, because by passing the group, they redeemed themselves for the shitty Euro 2008 and World cup 2010, but I really want to see them going deep! Karim Benzema needs to score a f*ckin goal, while Mexès and Rami need to play like they did against England and Ukraine, instead of how they played vs. Sweden. Hugo Lloris needs to stay focused like he has all tournament, while he is not flawless, he has done way more than I expected of him and if not for him, the loss margin vs Sweden would have been bigger, I hope he can put on a great performance vs. Spain! Samir Nasri also need to either make better passes or let Ribéry see more of the ball! Also liking Debuchy's play and hope he keeps it up! I hope my team can prevail and go on to the semis!

I heard quite a few people talking about the Dutch as being a surprise to not advance, but I thought they were just trying to be unconventional. I knew in that group it'd be tough, but I still thought they'd manage to advance along with Germany. Was vanBronkhorst that influential as captain and leader of the D core? They seemed lost out there.

No thats not the problem, the Ego's where the problem. In south Africa it was a team, and now things were boiling over. Little groups inside the team, players not getting along. Its a big mess and it is still continuing in the press.

And our D has been the problem in africa as well, its not the best part of our team.