Who will it be, the assistant coaching edition

hankhab

He was asked a question about the language issue and answered it.

And all i am saying is i find answer to be BS and why wouldnt he just admit , that is the direction they are going/ or francophones are better fit for postiion/ Molson told me to, or anything truthful, it wouldnt hurt his popularity and just seems to lack character (which reminded me of the Leaf GM).

i wont beat dead horse anymore, just his statement rubbed me wrong way is all and other than Therrian and Brisbois hires, it looks like a good group he is assembling and hope Gallant rumour is true.

Truthfully, the only place I think the french thing mattered was the coach of the bulldogs, as Lefebvre is being groomed as a possible next in line. Even then, Lefebvre is very qualified.

With the rest it didn't.

Lapointe was in management with Bergevin in Chicago. The familarity had far more to do with things than language. This is much the same as the Dudley hire, Lapointe just happens to speak french.

And Breezer is a former Hab getting an entry level position.

So is this what elation feels like?!!? it's been sooo long :hyper:

I echo that sentiment. No longer do we have a one man show. Bergevin will be as good as the team he's putting around him in the front office to the bench. Next up......let's see what kind of players and team we'll have.

Driving in this morning and I could not help but think he's going to heavily target PA Parenteau

One person it won't be is former assistant Perry Pearn who was fired as a pro scout late this week. He has 2 years left on his deal still.

The Habs will get some salary relief here as Pearn is Winnipeg-bound.

The Habs will get some salary relief here as Pearn is Winnipeg-bound.

The quickness of this makes me wonder if it was a decision to fire Pearn, or if Pearn asked for the release to look for a coaching job?

I echo that sentiment. No longer do we have a one man show. Bergevin will be as good as the team he's putting around him in the front office to the bench. Next up......let's see what kind of players and team we'll have.

Driving in this morning and I could not help but think he's going to heavily target PA Parenteau

Parenteau is an intriguing option, but can he play LW?

The team is really taking shape. Just a few more days before the draft. With the free agents signing also coming soon, that will be a very busy month of June for Bergevin.

There are a lot of rumblings that Gerard Gallant will soon be named to the staff (and likely will be the final addition).

Am I missing someone, or will they only go with one assistant coach (I'm not counting Groulx)?

It's all ultimately unknown, but I must say that I like every move MB has made - whether it be keeping Timmins/Carriere, or adding Dudley, Gallant, Breezer, Lapointe, Lefevbre, promoting Jodoin, etc. - with the single exception of the Therrien hiring. The creation of full-time player development roles is just huge. I also like the way he seems to have a longer-term plan in mind (e.g., grooming Jodoin to possibly replace Therrien, grooming Lefebvre to possibly do the same, or to replace Jodoin); a really strong organization will develop not just players, but also coaches and admininstrators, from within its system, and he clearly gets that. I even like that fact that, other than Therrien, he has pulled toward him every well-qualified and/or promising Quebec hockey man out there. In short, the initial impression is that he's building a tight, Montreal-savvy hockey operation. It's just a shame that he hired a clown as head coach, instead of snagging Hartley or Crawford. No doubt he will fix this (probable) mistake within three years.

EDIT: incidentally, have there been any hot rumours under Bergevin that have failed to become reality? The contrast with the previous regime is truly shocking in this respect. Clearly, MB has no problem with loose lips in his operation. Be interesting to see if he can impose a necessary discipline when it comes to more delicate matters such as trades, etc..

EDIT: incidentally, have there been any hot rumours under Bergevin that have failed to become reality? The contrast with the previous regime is truly shocking in this respect. Clearly, MB has no problem with loose lips in his operation. Be interesting to see if he can impose a necessary discipline when it comes to more delicate matters such as trades, etc..

There were strong rumours that Hartley was going to be named head coach.....

Jodoin's hiring is also now official. I've updated the article (thank goodness I pre-wrote the stuff last night) linked earlier.

I guess this probably means we aren't going to make a push for the Big Bird :(

Or that he doesn't want to leave the Eastern Conference Champions and made it clear.

As of yesterday morning, the Habs had not contacted the Devils for permission. Considering Robinson's move would be lateral (asst. to asst.), there's no guarantee he'd get permission anyway. It's one thing to ask for permission for a promotion (like Lefebvre who had just signed a multi-year extension with Colorado a few weeks ago) but teams historically have been hesitant to ask for permission to try and take a guy in a lateral move.

The quickness of this makes me wonder if it was a decision to fire Pearn, or if Pearn asked for the release to look for a coaching job?

Parenteau is an intriguing option, but can he play LW?

Didn't PA play LW with the Islanders this year?