Who will it be, the assistant coaching edition

hankhab

HF boards has LaPoint as head of player development to be announced. If this is an appointment to bridge the development from the draft till they get to the bigs, I'm all for it. Seems to me we have away too many players falling by the wayside, on issues other than talent.

We had it too earlier in this thread. :) I like the hire, it lets Timmins focus primarily on his bread and butter while also starting Lapointe off a bit in management.

Hopefully his assistants will be Pascal Vincent, who played with Lapointe in Laval under Gros Mike. With Larry Roninson here for the D. And, Manny Fernandez brought in for Carey & Malcolm.. *coughs.. :rastapop:

I just don't see Larry leaving New Jersey anymore.

I found it funny that during an interview with Molson the first name he he mentioned from the faces around the room was Larry's.

This is a Molson type move that I see happening. Im pretty sure looking forward, Larry see's, Markov with PK, Gorges and Emelin, with the kids in the system and then he looks and Adam Larsson is the only long term piece thats there. And, that would make any coach want to jump ship.

Molson wants authenticity and passion from the fans. This is the only move to make.

I found it funny that during an interview with Molson the first name he he mentioned from the faces around the room was Larry's.

This is a Molson type move that I see happening. Im pretty sure looking forward, Larry see's, Markov with PK, Gorges and Emelin, with the kids in the system and then he looks and Adam Larsson is the only long term piece thats there. And, that would make any coach want to jump ship.

Molson wants authenticity and passion from the fans. This is the only move to make.

I bet Montreal wants to definitely get Robinson but that has nothing to do with Robinson's own motivations. Bergevin is also not going to force Therrien to take Robinson as assistant if he doesn't want him.

Also, Robinson doesn't just coach D men. He helps coach the whole team with the head coach.

I bet Montreal wants to definitely get Robinson but that has nothing to do with Robinson's own motivations. Bergevin is also not going to force Therrien to take Robinson as assistant if he doesn't want him.

Also, Robinson doesn't just coach D men. He helps coach the whole team with the head coach.

Yea but in the same breathe. Whomever Therrien wants to bring in as AC will pail in comparison to Big Bird. Just factual. And if ego's can be set aside for the greater good.

Im going only on the basis that Larry has wanted to come to Montreal time and time again and been refused. If both parties we're willing, its only Larry's loyalty that is in question.

I anticipate both Carbonneau and Andre Savard will at the very least be strong candidates to take the roles. One thing that also remains to be seen is how many are named, the Habs have lately carried just two 'regular' assistants (not including the goalie coach). The one exception was early last season when the Randy's replaced Muller.

I see P Groulx back as goalie coach... don't think they change that.

Price got to give his two cents on Groulx, the fact he wasn't let go yesterday supports that theory (I believe/hope for the same as well).

Price got to give his two cents on Groulx, the fact he wasn't let go yesterday supports that theory (I believe/hope for the same as well).

Doesn't Price really like him?

I still like Gilmour as the good cop assistant, as long as we have an experienced special teams coach as well. Don't know what Desjardins has been doing all these years. I know Benoit Brunet tries to look intelligent with his fancy eye glasses on RDS, but does he seem like a candidate?

I still like Gilmour as the good cop assistant, as long as we have an experienced special teams coach as well. Don't know what Desjardins has been doing all these years. I know Benoit Brunet tries to look intelligent with his fancy eye glasses on RDS, but does he seem like a candidate?

Gilmour is now GM in Kingston - not only was a terrible coach for them but it lets him spend more time with his family. I don't see him wanting to join the Habs, nor do I think they'd want him to be honest. As for Desjardins, I thought he was working in hockey but apparently not. Brunet? He was awful trying to break down plays as a colour guy, I don't think he'd be a viable candidate at all...no matter what Normand Flynn thinks (he apparently criticized the Mellanby hiring suggesting Brunet would be better for the Dir. of Personnel title as he has a better pulse on hockey in Montreal :1vomit: ).

Doesn't Price really like him?

I assume he does which is why I, like Commandant, am under the impression he'll be back.

The main thing is that the assistant coaches be part of the same incestuous old-boys' club of RDS-based quebecois mediocrities. That is obviously the top priority round these parts.

Well they are the official broadcaster so why shouldn't they have a say in how 'their' team is run? (For anyone not sure, I'm being completely sarcastic here...)

Well they are the official broadcaster so why shouldn't they have a say in how 'their' team is run? (For anyone not sure, I'm being completely sarcastic here...)

The early results suggest that they DO have a very significant say in how this team is run. It's too soon to be sure, but the Therrien thing definitely raises a red flag that we're on the cusp of a return to the grand old days of RDS running the show, which were roughly from 1996-2003. Awesome!!!

Sure hope this doesn't translate into our draft picks all being French Canadian. Not worried about our top pick, but can just imagine us drafting Quebec kids over more talented others.

(null)

Sure hope this doesn't translate into our draft picks all being French Canadian. Not worried about our top pick, but can just imagine us drafting Quebec kids over more talented others.

(null)

I bet we'll see Kevin Roy get drafted by us and everyone will flip out until he puts up 100 points for us.

I bet we'll see Kevin Roy get drafted by us and everyone will flip out until he puts up 100 points for us.

Playing on the fourth line, while some goon sits in the press box, Roy will provide 7 pts via an extra 7 shootout wins over the course of the season.

Do you really believe a radio station would be able to sway the thinking of a hockey organization as to who they would hire? Really?

No, Therrien wasn't hired because he worked for RDS, to suggest this is just as silly as some of the stuff RDS gets on with. He was hired, because in the eyes of Bergevin, he was the best available fit for this team. As with most head coaches, he will probably hire assistants he is comfortable working with. Thats all, no conspiracy theory, no collusion, no bowing to RDS. Can we end this silliness and get back to more logical conversation?

OK, OK, just to be clear, I was being somewhat sardonic. What we appear to be seeing from the new regime, however, is a more 'fan friendly' mentality. I'm all for this in terms of reasonably open lines of communication and an end to the imperious constipation of the previous leadership. In Montreal, however, being 'fan friendly' tends to mean being part of the small, incestuous and self-perpetuating world of quebecois/francophone hockey circles (which includes the media). Again, there's nothing terrible about that in principle either, except that working within those circles means by definition not hiring the best available candidates unless they happen to be part of the circle; and also these particular networks tend to prioritize the wrong thing, like language or - as Raymond Bertrand said - the right bloodlines. In Montreal, being fan friendly all too often means reproducing the ignorant truisms of the media and fans - as with the total b.s. about the Habs not drafting enough French Quebecers.

The last such regime was Houle's. I have no doubt Bergevin will not sink to that level. But make no mistake, such an organizational attitude is incompatible with long-term success.

Anyway, it's still too early to reach definitive conclusions. The Therrien hiring is a gigantic red flag to me, but that's all it is - not yet a proven mistake.

• Upvote 1