Who will it be, the assistant coaching edition

hankhab

I don't even want see Mario tremblay hired as a janitor in the bell centre. Cleaning toilets is even too good for him!!!!

Robinson is not part of the incestuous Quebecois/RDS dasiy chain, so don't bet on seeing him hired any time soon.

Brisebois: I'm one of the few who always respected him as a player. He is a true example of someone who experienced the best and worst of Montreal and he carved out a damned nice career for himself as a useful NHL defender. I think he probably would be a worthy addition to the organization in some capacity - but it depends on which capacity. Throwing him in there as assistant coach would only make sense if he is surrounded by seasoned pros to help him out. I'd prefer he learn the trade in Hamilton, or maybe do some scouting or something.

I think Mario Tremblay should be considered well-qualified based on his years studying at Jacques Lemaire's knee. He is no longer the buffoon who contributed so dramatically to destroying the Montreal Canadiens as an elite franchise. I know the optics of hiring him look really terrible, but it would be inconsistent with my insistence on merit and qualifications not to take him seriously as a highly qualified assistant coaching candidate. Now excuse me as I duck the various flying objects being hurled my way by others on this board :)

Dont mind the Lefebvre nor Lapoint hirings one bit, but Brisbois one not a fan at all, he was a cull on the ice and doubt he can offer much sage advice

Dont mind the Lefebvre nor Lapoint hirings one bit, but Brisbois one not a fan at all, he was a cull on the ice and doubt he can offer much sage advice

I find this idea ridiculous. Brisebois played here for 14 seasons and experienced some of the highest highs and lowest lows a player can experience. That is exactly the type of background we want to have mentoring our young players. It's bloody well time people stopped hating on this guy because of one disastrous season where he was playing on his off-side due to the abysmal D-corps he had around him.

His job is player development. Forget the stories from his first run in Montreal. In his second run, he used to be the guy who would have to drag Lapierre and Latendresse and other players to the gym because they weren't working out during the season.

Brisebois is perfect for the job. He had the balls to come back to Montreal knowing everyone hated him. He's the right guy to tell a player how to ignore boos or properly survive in Montreal because he fell on his face and learned how to get up from it.

He ain't teaching anyone how to cover a power forward. He's helping them develop in one of the worst cities to try and develop in.

His job is player development. Forget the stories from his first run in Montreal. In his second run, he used to be the guy who would have to drag Lapierre and Latendresse and other players to the gym because they weren't working out during the season.

Brisebois is perfect for the job. He had the balls to come back to Montreal knowing everyone hated him. He's the right guy to tell a player how to ignore boos or properly survive in Montreal because he fell on his face and learned how to get up from it.

He ain't teaching anyone how to cover a power forward. He's helping them develop in one of the worst cities to try and develop in.

you may be correct, but like the hire as much as Crazy Mike taking over behind bench, mediocre and only hired cause he is french, which is lame; but maybe all will go fine, hope so.

you may be correct, but like the hire as much as Crazy Mike taking over behind bench, mediocre and only hired cause he is french, which is lame; but maybe all will go fine, hope so.

Well, like I implied before - we can't lose, because prior to this we had NOBODY fulfulling this mentoring function full-time. Lapointe + Breezer constitutes a gigantic improvement over zero.

People really need to stop saying that. The talk among the league is that it came down to Marc Crawford and Michel Therrien, Crawford only being a Quebec native with rudimentary French and it went to Therrien because he knew the Montreal market having coached here before. That was his major advantage. There wasn't a single English speaking candidate available that was head over heels better than Therrien. I wanted Roy but I'm not going to stomp my feet and whine about it.

Brisebois biggest problem was the way he was used. He played on very poor Habs teams, and became the #1 defenceman almost by default. If he was the #3 defenceman and we kept Desjardins, Schneider and Brisebois together, people would have a lot better memories of him. He just was a very good 2nd pairing guy, but was inadequate to be the best defenceman on a team. Forced into that role by our 90s management.

Brisebois biggest problem was the way he was used. He played on very poor Habs teams, and became the #1 defenceman almost by default. If he was the #3 defenceman and we kept Desjardins, Schneider and Brisebois together, people would have a lot better memories of him. He just was a very good 2nd pairing guy, but was inadequate to be the best defenceman on a team. Forced into that role by our 90s management.

100%. I've been saying this for years. It's like Larry Murphy on the Leafs - good second-tier defenceman at that point in his career, forced into a top-pairing role by the crapiness around him, and for this the fans make him a scapegoat and drive him out of town. In Brisebois's case, he was also forced to play on his wrong side for the entire season when he finished -31, a total quite unprepresentative of his career numbers. Never complained once or even publicly pointed that out despite being so abominably treated by the 'fans' that it damaged his health. If you subtract that single outlier from his record, you find a prefectly good second-pairing offensive defenceman (who, for all his defensive limitations, still had two seasons of +17 and +16 on pretty crappy clubs). The guy was a good hockey player and proved his heart by coming back here. Enough scapegoating already.

His job is player development. Forget the stories from his first run in Montreal. In his second run, he used to be the guy who would have to drag Lapierre and Latendresse and other players to the gym because they weren't working out during the season. Brisebois is perfect for the job. He had the balls to come back to Montreal knowing everyone hated him. He's the right guy to tell a player how to ignore boos or properly survive in Montreal because he fell on his face and learned how to get up from it. He ain't teaching anyone how to cover a power forward. He's helping them develop in one of the worst cities to try and develop in.

This. We need guys like this in the organization, and I think it bodes well for the future.

People really need to stop saying that. The talk among the league is that it came down to Marc Crawford and Michel Therrien, Crawford only being a Quebec native with rudimentary French and it went to Therrien because he knew the Montreal market having coached here before. That was his major advantage. There wasn't a single English speaking candidate available that was head over heels better than Therrien. I wanted Roy but I'm not going to stomp my feet and whine about it.

Bergevin said today about hires; "they just happen to be french, as well as good hockey people."

I think i can safely call BS on that one and again Bergevin seems to be blowing smoke.... for no reason, cause aint foolin no one.

Just have the balls to admit one of requirements is language, he shouldnt try and duck the truth and spin it.

Not a good sign, to talk/act like a Brian Burke so early on.

Bergevin said today about hires; "they just happen to be french, as well as good hockey people."

I think i can safely call BS on that one and again Bergevin seems to be blowing smoke.... for no reason, cause aint foolin no one.

Just have the balls to admit one of requirements is language, he shouldnt try and duck the truth and spin it.

Not a good sign, to talk/act like a Brian Burke so early on.

Rick Dudley speaks french?

Scott Mellanby?

Bobby Kinsella?

Alvin Backus?

Well, looks like one of the mystery assistant managers will be Clement Jodoin

Jodoin is a very fit complement to Therrien. Jodoin is more the hockey mind/strategist and teacher, while Therrien is the motivator/leader. The third one will need to fit more the role of "players' coach", like Muller used to be.

Rick Dudley speaks french?

Scott Mellanby?

Bobby Kinsella?

Alvin Backus?

you think he was referring to earlier hires? when he was standing beside Brisbois/Lapoint and Lefebvre and all had just been hired and press conference was to announce these 3 hires? And he was the one who hinted at language factor, if you buy that all 3 being french is just a coincidence, i got some Facebook shares and Greek bonds you should buy also.

If he didnt mention language issue at all, fair enough, but to try and BS about it, seems weak.

And like i have said, Lapoint/Lefebvre seem to be super choices, the other i aint sold on; but know nothing about what he actually can bring to table.

Now will all the political pressure play out at draft table and on July 1st also?

Lapointe we knew was going to be hired the moment Bergevin became GM. It was all about where he was going to be.

Brisebois is a former Montreal Canadien and we always like to find jobs for former Habs.

Lefebvre is the only one who seems to feel like we found a guy looking for a minor league coaching position who had a French Canadian background. Even then he's still qualified to be an AHL head coach.

People need to take the tin foil off and understand PR. Maybe then you wouldn't take it so personal when someone lies to you from a sports organization.

you think he was referring to earlier hires? when he was standing beside Brisbois/Lapoint and Lefebvre and all had just been hired and press conference was to announce these 3 hires? And he was the one who hinted at language factor, if you buy that all 3 being french is just a coincidence, i got some Facebook shares and Greek bonds you should buy also.

If he didnt mention language issue at all, fair enough, but to try and BS about it, seems weak.

And like i have said, Lapoint/Lefebvre seem to be super choices, the other i aint sold on; but know nothing about what he actually can bring to table.

Now will all the political pressure play out at draft table and on July 1st also?

He was asked a question about the language issue and answered it.