Galchenyuk vs. Leblanc?

ForumGhost

best of luck with your radio gig tonight sir.

cheers

Thanks, we're still small but it feels like we're making progress in building the site. I'd like to thank everyone who has ever checked it out.

Once the draft is over, we've got some plans to get us through the dog days of summer too.

If Galchenyuk blows everyone away at training camp this fall and actually starts with the habs, wouldn't we have a novel issue? We'd have Desharnes, Plekanics, Galchenyuk, Eller, and White as centres. White is not an issue, as he'll be 4th line centre/winger. The other 4 are all offensive centres, and while some tend to write off davey because he's small, you cannot argue with the effectiveness of his line. So what happens? I'd prefer to see Eller remain as a centre, on the 3rd line. Plekanics is a given because of his 2-way play, skill, and he'll be a great mentor to Galchenyuk. Of course, if galchenyuk stays, it has to be as a top 2 centre, or else he should return to junior. What a great problem!

If Galchenyuk blows everyone away at training camp this fall and actually starts with the habs, wouldn't we have a novel issue? We'd have Desharnes, Plekanics, Galchenyuk, Eller, and White as centres. White is not an issue, as he'll be 4th line centre/winger. The other 4 are all offensive centres, and while some tend to write off davey because he's small, you cannot argue with the effectiveness of his line. So what happens? I'd prefer to see Eller remain as a centre, on the 3rd line. Plekanics is a given because of his 2-way play, skill, and he'll be a great mentor to Galchenyuk. Of course, if galchenyuk stays, it has to be as a top 2 centre, or else he should return to junior. What a great problem!

White is not a center anymore, not at the NHL level. But I agree with the rest, looks interesting for sure!

Why would you do that? Is it because of faceoffs, or team needs. Or is it easier to start on the wing? Just wondering why you would play a natural center on the wing

(null)

I would prefer to see him at centre, its where he needs to learn. Centre position involves more defensive responsibility, and of course the faceoff thing. Galchenyuk is apparently very good on both sides of the puck.

I would prefer him at center as well but I would understand if he was given the winger treatment so he can adapt to speed and size of NHL game.

If he were to play center I would want him to be given the 2 best wingers on the team for the first 40 games to see what he could do. That would mean Patch and Cole. The best thing you can do for a young scorers confidence is to insulate him with the strongest scoring players thus giving him the best opportunity to succeed.

I would prefer him at center as well but I would understand if he was given the winger treatment so he can adapt to speed and size of NHL game.

If he were to play center I would want him to be given the 2 best wingers on the team for the first 40 games to see what he could do. That would mean Patch and Cole. The best thing you can do for a young scorers confidence is to insulate him with the strongest scoring players thus giving him the best opportunity to succeed.

Wise words. It depends on how ready he is. Personally, I think it would be truly remarkable for a kid who missed an entire season of junior hockey to jump into the NHL and be effective; indeed, I would take that as the strongest sign possible that this kid is not just going to be a good player, but quite possibly a major, major talent.

But let's say it happens. He comes up and shows he can help us. Under these circumstances, by all rights he should indeed take over DD's spot as the 'sheltered' centreman between our two best wingers. The kid is the future; put him in a position where he can flourish. Of course, this does raise awkward questions about Desharnais, who - despite all odds - may still have room to improve his own game. Many people on this board project DD as a winger and perhaps that'd be the ultimate outcome. The thing to avoid is to dump DD on the trash-heap because you're bedazzled by the kid. I don't think the Desharnais story is played out just yet.

• Upvote 1

Why would you do that? Is it because of faceoffs, or team needs. Or is it easier to start on the wing? Just wondering why you would play a natural center on the wing

(null)

Less defensive responsibility, less pressure to start on the wing while he's learning.

It worked for Tyler Seguin, Jamie Benn, Claude Giroux, and numerous others when they first came into the NHL.

People have been saying Galy is going back to the OHL because he missed a season, but I think they forget he played in the post-season and was absolutely dominant.

He seems ready.

I'm not saying he isn't...what I'm saying is: if he IS ready, then this kid is a phenom. To miss a whole year of junior and step right into the NHL? That's ferocious talent.

Bergevin stated earlier this year that he doesn't believe in rushing prospects to the NHL, and I don't think he will be pressured into that with Galy. Unless the kid is amazing at camp and is ready to play from day one, he'll be heading back to the Sting. I'm predicting the former, that he is totally amazing at camp, and wins a top 2 centre position with the Habs. May have to break up the big line, unless we get some unexpected help from elsewhere this summer.

Bergevin stated earlier this year that he doesn't believe in rushing prospects to the NHL, and I don't think he will be pressured into that with Galy. Unless the kid is amazing at camp and is ready to play from day one, he'll be heading back to the Sting. I'm predicting the former, that he is totally amazing at camp, and wins a top 2 centre position with the Habs. May have to break up the big line, unless we get some unexpected help from elsewhere this summer.

I'm betting he'll be up for eight games, get sent down, guaranteed spot next season. Gives Montreal time to decide if they'll keep DD at center, move him to the wing or trade him. He's an RFA next season and it's likely his spot Galy is going to take.

I'm betting he'll be up for eight games, get sent down, guaranteed spot next season. Gives Montreal time to decide if they'll keep DD at center, move him to the wing or trade him. He's an RFA next season and it's likely his spot Galy is going to take.

Something like Shefiele last year, he'll earn his spot... but not likely we would keep him up since he missed the whole season.

Something like Shefiele last year, he'll earn his spot... but not likely we would keep him up since he missed the whole season.

Again, the kid might have missed the season but he played in the post-season and was spectacular. If the team decides he's 100 per cent ready to play, he'll be a rookie next year for the whole season.

I just expect he might not be the weight the team wants him to be.

I think he still might be a candidate to play the whole season next year, seems mature, his talent level will allow it, and he's 6'1, 200lbs, he's probably not getting much bigger than that. As long as he's handled properly, I can see him sticking. I'm thinking Therrien will put the clamp down on the partying thing, so as long as he can handle all those pretty Montreal girls, he'll be ok. By the way, did you guys get a look at Ms Larionov on tsn? Gazoooks!

I think he still might be a candidate to play the whole season next year, seems mature, his talent level will allow it, and he's 6'1, 200lbs, he's probably not getting much bigger than that. As long as he's handled properly, I can see him sticking. I'm thinking Therrien will put the clamp down on the partying thing, so as long as he can handle all those pretty Montreal girls, he'll be ok. By the way, did you guys get a look at Ms Larionov on tsn? Gazoooks!

Pretty good odds he will be in Sarnia 1 more year, my guess.

If he makes it I just hope for a 50ish point season.

Lots of idiots will say he is terrible if he does not hit 80 right away but no one does that.

The last rookie to score 80 points was Evgeni Malkin in 2006-2007 with 85 points. Next is Ovechkin and Crosby with their 100 point seasons. That's it in the last 15 years. Hell, the only 70 point players aside from who I mentioned were Patrick Kane, Paul Stastny and Dany Heatley.

50 points is considered a top rookie year and has been for quite some time now. Let the idiots have ridiculous expectations because they still think scoring is the way it was in the mid 90s.

I think you let the kid play in the minors, maybe give him the proverbial 5-10 game cup of tea at the start, and evaluate how you want to move forward with Pleks, DD and Eller for the following season...maybe deal one of them at the deadline or next off-season to move up the draft board. Not to mention potentially using assets like Cole for the same...

The Habs too often rush prospects...here's a great young prospect, likely one of the best in the draft, who missed almost an entire season and people want to see him on the Habs out of the gate. Seriously, let the kid play in the minors to develop physically, mentally and work on things like face-offs, defensive schemes, one on one moves, etc...in an environment without the media pressure.

As much as people don't want to hear it, the Habs are going to continue to re-build despite a great draft. I hate the partial re-builds that we get stuck in because the fans can't put up with 2 bad seasons...so we get 20 years of middle of the pack.

The team had what appears to be a great draft...and hopefully a few of the kids drafted in rounds 2 through 7 develop.

They need another draft that gets a high end forward in the top 5...

If they can do that while maintaining the core...hold on to guys like Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Gorges, Pleks, etc...they'll have virtually re-built within 2 years (granted even the high picks might need a couple years to develop...but they'd be real exciting quickly) with a system of youth that will keep them competitive for years after.

The Habs too often rush prospects...here's a great young prospect, likely one of the best in the draft, who missed almost an entire season and people want to see him on the Habs out of the gate. Seriously, let the kid play in the minors to develop physically, mentally and work on things like face-offs, defensive schemes, one on one moves, etc...in an environment without the media pressure.

It's not rushing a prospect when we're talking about a top three forward. We didn't rush Price either to the NHL. We simply rushed him to the starter position without a proper veteran backing him up. Of course, he's also responded by having the best record ever for a player his age. If Price never gets badly injured he'll play more NHL games than any goalie in NHL history.

People keep focusing on him missing the season but he was clearly ready in the OHL playoffs. If he comes to camp at 100 per cent there's no point in Montreal sending him down. I'm going with the team judgment on this one. If he doesn't look 100 per cent or his weight isn't there, he'll do the 8 and down. Otherwise, he'll play as an 18 year old and it won't be a rush whatsoever.

I don't buy many of the arguments about rushing guys. The only way you can rush a guy is

1) he's not physically mature enough, muscular enough, to handle the pounding and gets injured.

2) he's not getting enough minutes to develop his game.

As long as the kid is physically ready, and is contributing to the team and gets meaningful minutes... leave him up.

You can't mentally wreck a kid, I don't buy that for a second.

- no matter when you call a kid up, he's gonna have good stretches and bad stretches... if mentally he falls apart after a bad stretch at 19, he's gonna fall apart after a bad stretch at 25, all you are doing is delaying the inevitable. A mentally strong person will overcome the challenge, a mentally weak one won't but would have fallen apart later if you shelter them anyways.

Look at MaxPac... was he ruinned by playing third line minutes and not producing? No, he was mentally strong, went back to the AHL, figured out what he needed to learn, came back up and is awesome today. We didn't ruin him, we didn't hold him back.

I'd say the same about Price losing his job to Halak, we didn't ruin him by bringing him up too soon.... he's fine.