Draft Night, Round One

dlbalr

front_2012Draftwide.jpg

Is this a stretch for a GDT? Probably but it's been a while since we've had one... The opening round of the draft goes tonight at 7 PM EST with the Habs selecting third. Stephane Leroux from RDS is speculating that Teravainen is who the Habs have their eye on.

Use this thread to discuss the picks plus any rumours that pop up throughout the day.

Not about the pick or a rumour, but I'M ######ING PUMPED FOR TONIGHT !!!!!!!!

This is the day that we have waited for all season. Personally, I haven't been this excited for a draft ever.

front_2012Draftwide.jpg

Is this a stretch for a GDT? Probably but it's been a while since we've had one... The opening round of the draft goes tonight at 7 PM EST with the Habs selecting third. Stephane Leroux from RDS is speculating that Teravainen is who the Habs have their eye on.

Use this thread to discuss the picks plus any rumours that pop up throughout the day.

At 5' 11" and 165 pounds isn't that a bit small for us to be drafting when we desperately need to get bigger?? That would be a surprise to me if they went that route. But I'm assuming that Leroux must have heard something from an inside source for him to say that.

At 5' 11" and 165 pounds isn't that a bit small for us to be drafting when we desperately need to get bigger?? That would be a surprise to me if they went that route. But I'm assuming that Leroux must have heard something from an inside source for him to say that.

Apparently, he has talked to Timmins a couple of times about him and he just gushes about Teravainen. Raw skill wise, he's certainly intriguing; he's the home run pick if there is one in this draft.

That would be a really bad choice. Galyenchuk may be there, Forsberg (i don't like here either) but still a better choice than Teraveinan. Plus Defensively you could get murray, Dumba or Reinhart.

That pick may actually make me throw up in my mouth.

I have a hard time believing that Galchenyuk is not the Habs' favourite. But Timmins has to work with various contingencies (much depends on who Columbus picks). Teravanein is probably in the mix and perhaps Timmins has pushed hard to get him in the mix. That doesn't mean they'd pick him over Galchenyuk, given the chance.

From my scant reading, I don't groove over TT much either. Smallish, needs to improve his skating...meh. It's that word 'solid' that really bothers me: http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=44567 Again, this is NOT the draft in which to be satisfied with second-liners with our first pick. Same thing with Forsberg. If these are your choices, go with Murray (BPA) or even Grigs.

Yep, I agree with that.

I read Rienhart has more offense abilty than Murray and has great size and good speed. May be a long shot at # 3 if Galy and Yakapov are gone.

I'm sure Commandant can enlighten us there.

James Mirtle's saying that there's a chance Yakupov falls to 3. Now THAT would be a homerun pick for the Habs! http://twitter.com/m...192929352519680

How in the hell would that happen? I just don't see the logistics. If I'm Tambellini and I *don't* want to draft Yakupov, why don't I get some extra incentive from Montreal by flipping picks with them and getting Bergevin to add in something I might like? There's a reason Tambellini named a bunch of forwards his "pick" would join before saying, "plus some young defencemen".

He said Edmonton drafting Murray or Reinhart and Columbus taking Galyenchuk or Forsberg.

That would be a shocker

Again, it's absolutely bizarre. GMs talk with one another. If Edmonton took Murray and Columbus took Forsberg, they could open themselves to watching Montreal land an 80 point player and looking like absolute idiots. However, if Montreal swapped picks with Columbus then swapped picks with Edmonton, both Edmonton and Columbus can get some incentive picks/prospects and still select the player they want while Montreal moves up to taking the best player in the draft.

I just cannot fathom Howson and Tambellini being that dumb. Maybe I should but I don't.

On sportsnet, they are talking about Teraverin and while all scouts love his hands, one was concerned about his maturity and compete level. Last thing we need is a smaller skill guy partying in Montreal.

They are talking that he might sneak into the top ten. If he is only around 8 to 11, why would we burn a top 3 on him? If they want him so bad, then trade down and get something to go with him.

Frankly, I have no idea why we would go for a potential long shot with the best draft position we have had in decades.

Other guys of identical draft size, turned out OK, Giroux/Yzerman are just 2 examples of many.

I think many "experts" are on the Terrovinen band wagon, skill wise he is supposed to near the top.

Bigger is not always better.

Yep, I agree with that.

I read Rienhart has more offense abilty than Murray and has great size and good speed. May be a long shot at # 3 if Galy and Yakapov are gone.

I'm sure Commandant can enlighten us there.

I'd rather have Murray

Murray's offence is underrated, his numbers are due to playing on one of the worst offensive teams in the CHL. When he was at the 2011 U18, he scored more points that Dumba's much talked about tourney this year. Compare that to Reinhart who plays on the WHL Champs.

Murray got 31 pts in 46 games for that Everrett team.

Reinhart 36 pts in 58 games for Edmonton.

Murray's the better skater too.

Reinhart's only advantage is size.

I like Reinhart, but not at #3 overall.

On sportsnet, they are talking about Teraverin and while all scouts love his hands, one was concerned about his maturity and compete level. Last thing we need is a smaller skill guy partying in Montreal.

They are talking that he might sneak into the top ten. If he is only around 8 to 11, why would we burn a top 3 on him? If they want him so bad, then trade down and get something to go with him.

Frankly, I have no idea why we would go for a potential long shot with the best draft position we have had in decades.

I will stick with Forsberg and have no fear, they wont go "off the reservation!" as Pierre McQuire supposedly said when we took a Native Canadian goalie in 2005, but good for discussion/debate.

I'd rather have Murray

Murray's offence is underrated, his numbers are due to playing on one of the worst offensive teams in the CHL. When he was at the 2011 U18, he scored more points that Dumba's much talked about tourney this year.

Murray's the better skater too.

Reinhart's only advantage is size.

I like Reinhart, but not at #3 overall.

I still like Dumba best of all d-men, but if Reinhart was more physical and could hit like Dumba, he would be top five for sure, but i would say he is more a Sami Salo type d-man..

Price was picked within a position or two on many rankings. I think Teraverin is going way down in the rankings. I would not be surprised to see us pass up Grigs, but then we should pick a relative stud on D rather then going with a longer shot forward. If Galy is available at 3, he will be a Hab. I have no doubt about that.