Gomez bought out?

Helmethead

According to Mathias Brunet, rumors have surfaced that he has indeed been bought out.

https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=mathiasbrunet

Very surprised if this is true, with the possible amnesty period or the advantages of burying him in the minors..

Am I missing something here?

There is a process that needs to be gone through before you can buy a guy out.

We haven't heard that he's been placed on waivers yet (the first step in the process). So I'll wait for that announcement.

There is a process that needs to be gone through before you can buy a guy out.

We haven't heard that he's been placed on waivers yet (the first step in the process). So I'll wait for that announcement.

Thanks Commandant! You can always be relied on for critical procedural information.

Really hope we don't take a cap hit with Gomez though.

Knowing there's likely to be a rollback of some sort in salary, any team wanting to buyout any player will want to wait until after the new CBA to save some money/cap space. The waiver period for this started over a week ago, there's a reason no player has hit those waivers yet.

The method by which Bergevin has already put his stamp on this team, one has to think that Gomez (and hopefully Kaberle's) days are numbered:

1 - Near complete clean of head office save Timmins

2 - Near complete clean of coaching staff

3 - Declaring that the Habs will see action on July 1

I have to say that the new stamp is incomplete without a Gomez buyout.

Nothing wrong with having a 40 assist, 45 point dman on your third pair. Just stick Emelin beside him to lay out the hits.

Allen - Subban

Markov - Gorges

Do the heavy lifting.

That would be great.

So Weber and Diaz 7 8?

A former NHL starter who used to be the best goalie outside of the NHL went for a conditional seventh so I think we should be able to nab a Vezina winner with Weber ;)

Tim Thomas? He's prepping his apocalyptic safehouse in Colorado next year.

Nothing wrong with having a 40 assist, 45 point dman on your third pair. Just stick Emelin beside him to lay out the hits.

Allen - Subban

Markov - Gorges

Do the heavy lifting.

Did I miss something? Who is Allen? Also, I's prefer to see Emelin in the top 4, he's good enough, and in fact has a lot of potential. The problem with Kaberle is that he's soft, and terrible defensively, I'd rath have Diaz and a dependable vet on third pairing, and to wherever with that soft ex-leaf.

As for Gomez, what about the sending him to the minors option? As long as it can still be done under the new CBA, there would be possible reasons to go this route. (1)He could be offered a player/coach role with the Bulldogs, he seems to have a good attitude, and it might be a good role for him. (2) He might report, but field offers to play in Europe. (3) He might retire, which might be the best case. Don't forget, when you buy a player out, thats not play money, its real, millions of dollars. Habs might prefer the demotion option instead.

Did I miss something? Who is Allen? Also, I's prefer to see Emelin in the top 4, he's good enough, and in fact has a lot of potential. The problem with Kaberle is that he's soft, and terrible defensively, I'd rath have Diaz and a dependable vet on third pairing, and to wherever with that soft ex-leaf.

Soon to be unrestricted free agent Bryan Allen.

Soon to be unrestricted free agent Bryan Allen.

Ok, that would be great, and I know Bergevin plans to be active July 1, so I guess we'll see.

As for Gomez, what about the sending him to the minors option? As long as it can still be done under the new CBA, there would be possible reasons to go this route. (1)He could be offered a player/coach role with the Bulldogs, he seems to have a good attitude, and it might be a good role for him. (2) He might report, but field offers to play in Europe. (3) He might retire, which might be the best case. Don't forget, when you buy a player out, thats not play money, its real, millions of dollars. Habs might prefer the demotion option instead.

I realize everyone is trying to be creative, and it's good reading. But Gomez is NOT going to retire. Not a chance. And leave all that bank on the table? Never. And no matter his attitude, a coaching offer seems unrealistic.

I realize everyone is trying to be creative, and it's good reading. But Gomez is NOT going to retire. Not a chance. And leave all that bank on the table? Never. And no matter his attitude, a coaching offer seems unrealistic.

Sending him to the minors really would pressure him to do something with his game or look for other options. I'm just saying, will Molson want to fork over all that money to buy him out, even if there is an amnesty clause? Probably, but like I said, there are other options.

I agree with you. No way he will retire.

I read from experts that Montreal would be better lending Gomez to another AHL team rather then sending him to Hamilton, if that is possible it may be a good idea.

It is allowed, provided they find a taker and he clears waivers. Personally I'd use him in Hamilton, the Bulldogs need veterans offensively, why pay him to play against your prospects when he could help them?

It is allowed, provided they find a taker and he clears waivers. Personally I'd use him in Hamilton, the Bulldogs need veterans offensively, why pay him to play against your prospects when he could help them?

I'd tend to agree with you, but I guess it all depends on his attitude. if Gomez takes his demotion to the AHL very poorly it may not be beneficial to have a brooding veteran down on the farm with all of our impressionable young prospects.

I'd tend to agree with you, but I guess it all depends on his attitude. if Gomez takes his demotion to the AHL very poorly it may not be beneficial to have a brooding veteran down on the farm with all of our impressionable young prospects.

If he's pouty about getting demoted, who's going to want him on their team? It took Edmonton a while to find a taker for Souray years ago and he wasn't even pouting (he was upset with the team and Tambellini decided to keep him away because of his attitude towards the organization).