Justin Schultz

hankhab

Don't know much about this guy, but media making a big deal over him. Is he worth signing, ie, is he ready to log minutes as an NHL defenseman? Previous free agents, suck as "the Monster", and Fabian Brunstrom (I think thats his name) were massively over hyped, and didn't really pan out.

The general consensus is that he is NHL ready. He'll be meeting with his agents on Tuesday and will field offers Wednesday, Bergevin has noted he will be keeping an eye on that situation (read between the lines, he'll make an offer). He won't come cheap though, I expect he'll get a max ELC (cap hit around $3.7M); if the Habs plan to play Galchenyuk this year, they may not want two max (or near max) ELC players. Who knows, there may not be a bonus cushion in the new CBA.

Don't know much about this guy, but media making a big deal over him. Is he worth signing, ie, is he ready to log minutes as an NHL defenseman? Previous free agents, suck as "the Monster", and Fabian Brunstrom (I think thats his name) were massively over hyped, and didn't really pan out.

He's more of a Blake Wheeler situation. A second round draft pick who looks NHL ready but he doesn't want to play for the Ducks.

Yes, i saw him play alot (granted it was tv) but he is pretty good player and is probably NHL ready. He ic certainly better than Diaz and Weber, better size as well.

They will definitely need an upgrade to the RD which i believe Shultz is.

Emelin should stay on the LD, he is way more noticable.

I would go go

Gorges Markov

Emelin Subban

They need some help witht he rest. Kaberle Shultz? UFA or something.

The Leafs still have too many blueliners and too many young blueliners who will be vying for a spot.

If Schultz is smart he'll goto Detroit or Edmonton.

If he was smart I'd say Edmonton. With the offensive youth they have... he could simply ride to cups in Edmonton.

Unless he plays like Dietz or Thrower, Habs got no spot or use for him. and likely will be just another overhyped flop and obviously is another whining Lindros type with a bit of attitude issue.

After reading the above article, sounds like he would be a good signing, however, I would question his character, is he going to be a prima donna who wants everything just his way? Is he going to whine and complain when he gets benched following a bad play? I'm sure he won't be getting an offer from Bergevin unless he gets a sit down with the kid first, as Bergevin has repeatedly stated the value he places on a players character.

• Upvote 1

I don't get why everyone is calling him a prima donna. All the kid did was wait 4 years post draft (during which time he went to school) and then became a free agent under the rules of the CBA. Thats it. He played by the rules. He didn't demand a trade. He didn't sign a contract and not live up to it. He never took a penny from the Anaheim Ducks, and even paid his own way to all their prospect camps and such.

He didn't like the direction of the team and doesn't want to sign there. He's not under contract. He's a human being, not an indentured servant.

He took advantage of a rule in the CBA, and became a free agent at 22... something most players don't have the opportunity to do, because they start getting paid around the age of 20, and he choose not to sign at that age and start earning money.

Nothing wrong at all with what he did. Its part of the CBA that if you forego signing a contract and getting paid for 4 years, you can be a free agent. Most players won't, but those who choose to, can decide their own club, not under the NHL draft rules.

Doesn't make him any more of a business man than the Free Agent who leaves his team at age 25 for more money.

I don't get why everyone is calling him a prima donna. All the kid did was wait 4 years post draft (during which time he went to school) and then became a free agent under the rules of the CBA. Thats it. He played by the rules. He didn't demand a trade. He didn't sign a contract and not live up to it. He never took a penny from the Anaheim Ducks, and even paid his own way to all their prospect camps and such.

He didn't like the direction of the team and doesn't want to sign there. He's not under contract. He's a human being, not an indentured servant.

He took advantage of a rule in the CBA, and became a free agent at 22... something most players don't have the opportunity to do, because they start getting paid around the age of 20, and he choose not to sign at that age and start earning money.

Nothing wrong at all with what he did. Its part of the CBA that if you forego signing a contract and getting paid for 4 years, you can be a free agent. Most players won't, but those who choose to, can decide their own club, not under the NHL draft rules.

Doesn't make him any more of a business man than the Free Agent who leaves his team at age 25 for more money.

Good write up o him sir.

Still more d-men for Habs that dont fit what is missing (a Mara-Allen type)? You say Bergevin has bid on him, just hope it isnt that much and some dumb GM (Isles/Columbus) will offer some stupid amount+big bonuses eh.

Same as Suter, fine player (overrated?) but not what Habs need for the cost it would take.

Now if have a top NCAA forward, i would be alot more keen on Bergevin trying to sign.

another, will see what happens on/after Sunday.

The thing is we know what he'll get.

He's getting a 2 year deal... $950,000 base salary, about 3 million in bonus clauses.

So the money isn't an issue.

As I said 30 teams want this guy... so what are the factors in play here?

The two main enticements will certainly be

1) how you define bonuses, how you make them easier for him to achieve.

2) what do you have in your system, can you promise him playing time, and how much. Teams with Deep defence are at a disadvantage here IMO. Playing time effects the possibility of him earning his bonuses of course. And this is a two way contract, he wants to be in the NHL not the AHL (where he'd get less money).

Some Rumored factors out there... we'll see if these actually came into play after he signed, but some should be taken with a grain of salt.

3) Everyone seems to like winning teams come free agency time. Is this a factor for Schultz?

4) Is playing close to home (BC) a factor for Schultz, do Western Teams have an advantage? Western Canadian Teams?

5) Is playing with a friend (Jake Gardiner) a factor for Schultz, do the Leafs have an advantage? Brendan Smith with Detroit, is this an advantage for them?

6) Does he want to stay close to Wisconsin, in the American mid-west? Is Chicago given this advantage?

Sounds like at worst he would be an upgrade on the dismal Weber and the mediocre Diaz. He's cheap. I think it'd be great to see the Habs land him. Remember, you can't count on Markov to play 82 games, to be healthy in the playoffs, or even to be the equal of the player he used to be. And after him, our only good puck-mover is Subban. So I don't see Schultz as redundant at all. That we would all like to see a physical minutes-eater on the blueline does not mean we should turn away from a good puck-mover.

Incidentally, the Canucks's Aaron Rome has not been qualified...any thoughts as to whether he might represent a useful addition as a possible #5-6 guy, bringing some physical edge? Not so much an 'upgrade' on Weber/Diaz as a move to get a more balanced overall D corps.

Sounds like at worst he would be an upgrade on the dismal Weber and the mediocre Diaz. He's cheap. I think it'd be great to see the Habs land him. Remember, you can't count on Markov to play 82 games, to be healthy in the playoffs, or even to be the equal of the player he used to be. And after him, our only good puck-mover is Subban. So I don't see Schultz as redundant at all. That we would all like to see a physical minutes-eater on the blueline does not mean we should turn away from a good puck-mover.

Incidentally, the Canucks's Aaron Rome has not been qualified...any thoughts as to whether he might represent a useful addition as a possible #5-6 guy, bringing some physical edge? Not so much an 'upgrade' on Weber/Diaz as a move to get a more balanced overall D corps.

Rome would be an OK 3rd pairing choice for sure and he is a Bruin knock-out artist! haha

He's a 15:00 per game guy.

I like him if that is what we are grabbing a 15 minute player.

I'd rather get an Allen who can play 20 minutes though, due to question marks I have on Markov (injury), Emelin (sophmore jinx) and Kaberle (should be on the third pair). I think we need a guy capable of being a top 4 if it comes to that. Heck he might start the year on the top 4 even if all those are in place.

He's a 15:00 per game guy.

I like him if that is what we are grabbing a 15 minute player.

I'd rather get an Allen who can play 20 minutes though, due to question marks I have on Markov (injury), Emelin (sophmore jinx) and Kaberle (should be on the third pair). I think we need a guy capable of being a top 4 if it comes to that. Heck he might start the year on the top 4 even if all those are in place.

No question. An Allen would be just what the doctor ordered. Rome would be more of a useful bottom-pairing addition - the assumption being that we can't keep both Diaz and Weber in the long run. I suppose my thinking about our configuration at D is not terribly coherent, but we were a disaster at that position last season, so I'm pretty much open to anything ^_^

EDIT: I still think Rome's suspension in the Finals was a bloody disgrace. Yes, he should have been suspended - I favour brutal, harsh suspensions for dangerous hits - but that penalty was gigantically out of whack with every other disciplinary decision the NHL handed out before or after it and therefore completely unfair. Consdier that this disgusting and unpunished neck-snapping hit on Raymond went unpunished

and it's another dubious case of the Bruins getting the benefit of the doubt.

Just a few words on a few things being talked about here. (1) I believe that a hockey player should have to play with the team that drafts him. I look at Eric Lindros as an example, great hockey player, massive talent, but terrible attitude (and some bad advice from his family, no doubt). But thats a whole new topic, so lets leave it at that.It is a privilege to be able to earn a living as a pro hockey player, the NHL needs to close this loophole as soon as possible. One look at the baseball draft and it should be apparent why this needs to be fixed, you cannot have players choosing which team to play with on the entry level, that would be terrible for league parity. If Danny Kristo chooses this same path, perhaps he won't have so many people coming to his defense here.

(2) I think Rome was unfairly suspended, he hit a player who had his head down, from what I seen, there have been several similar hits which go unpunished. Even if you accept that he should have been suspended, one game would have been enough. I think he would be an excellent pickup on this team, as we'd have 3 defensemen capable of knocking unsuspecting forwards on their asses, and he seems to be a capable d-man.

Just a few words on a few things being talked about here. (1) I believe that a hockey player should have to play with the team that drafts him. I look at Eric Lindros as an example, great hockey player, massive talent, but terrible attitude (and some bad advice from his family, no doubt). But thats a whole new topic, so lets leave it at that.It is a privilege to be able to earn a living as a pro hockey player, the NHL needs to close this loophole as soon as possible. One look at the baseball draft and it should be apparent why this needs to be fixed, you cannot have players choosing which team to play with on the entry level, that would be terrible for league parity. If Danny Kristo chooses this same path, perhaps he won't have so many people coming to his defense here.

(2) I think Rome was unfairly suspended, he hit a player who had his head down, from what I seen, there have been several similar hits which go unpunished. Even if you accept that he should have been suspended, one game would have been enough. I think he would be an excellent pickup on this team, as we'd have 3 defensemen capable of knocking unsuspecting forwards on their asses, and he seems to be a capable d-man.

On the flipside, David Fischer wouldn't sign a contract with us so we got a second round pick for him.

Mediocre Diaz? Aren't you a bit tough with the guy? I remember that Streit was far from perfect either in his first year in America. IMO Diaz had a good year and deserves to come back next season. Let's be patient with our prospects.

• Upvote 1

This keeps getting blocked by the anti-virus software at work. Are you sure your issues from before have been completely fixed?

Yes Google, Norton and others have all cleared us. Some of the smaller companies take longer.

Google says 1 virus found in last 90 days, last found June 22nd, clear as of last test June 26th

http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=http:%2F%2Flastwordonsports.com%2F&product=NIS&version=19.7.1.5&layout=Retail&lang=0901&source=toolbar

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=lastwordonsports.com