July 1st: Who do we want, who can we get?

Commandant

I've said all season that we need a 20 minute per game defenceman who is big and nasty.

We also need a 2nd line left wing.

And some help on the fourth line.

What are the targets? For me they'd be ... Bryan Allen and Brandon Prust for sure... for the 2nd line winger, I really don't know who I like there. Not a lot of attractive targets IMO.

What do you guys think?

I've also compiled a list of the big name RFAs who weren't qualified and some analysis of each of them. You can see it here.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/06/27/nhl-free-agency-watch-top-rfas-who-were-not-qualified/

I think Allen would be great, but I really hope we resign Moen, as well. As for 2nd line right wing, I can't think of anyone off hand either, I think that might have to be filled via trade.

I agree that Allen is our best option on D. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Mueller or Latendresse.

I noticed that Shane Doan is a potential UFA, what's the peeps here's temperature to him? He is 35, and is likely looking to hit it big with a 3+ year contract, had a bad season (by his standpoint) with only 50 pts, but has avg near 70 the last few years.

Yeah, I was just tossing his name out, I hadn't heard anything about his interest in the team, was just spitballin', here's another name, not sure what the feeling would be, but the AVS cut loose Peter Mueller. His concussion problems might scare away some teams, and he might be worth taking a flyer on, maybe a 1 year deal at a low risk/high reward cost.

First of all, why do we assume we have absolutely no chance in the Parise sweepstakes? Just asking. I hate the way everyone just assumes the Habs could not possibly ever bag the top UFA in any given summer. Considering that Gainey ran the table on UFAs in 2009 and that jackass Gauthier managed to secure the services of Erik Cole, I find this pessimism questionable.

Beyond that, yes, a minutes-eating defender a la Allen is high-priority.

Ray Whitney seems to do great no matter where he goes and no matter how old he is. If we want to add him as a stop-gap, I'd be for that.

Aaron Rome: useful signing, give us grit on the back-end.

And personally, I'm all for the low-cost, high-risk, high-ceiling options like Lats or Mueller. That sort of move is perfectly appropriate for a team like ours that has a lot of holes in the lineup. Some such signing(s) may represent the likeliest outcome, and it'd be kinda fun seeing whether one or more of these guys can surprise us.

D

1) Suter

2a) Allen

2b) Kubina

3a) Salvador

3c) Kuba

4a) Martinek

4b) Gilroy

T6

1) Parise

2) Doan

3a) Jagr

3b) Whitney

3c) Kostitsyn

4a) Parenteau

4b) Sullivan

5) Mueller

B6

1) Gaustad

2) Prust

3) T. Mitchell

4a) Asham

4b) Latendresse

5a) Halpern

5b) Winchester

5c) JF Jacques

*coughs

(Lose Budaj and sign Clemmenson.)

Edited by nihilz

D

1) Suter

2a) Allen

2b) Kubina

3a) Salvador

3c) Kuba

4a) Martinek

4b) Gilroy

T6

1) Parise

2) Doan

3a) Jagr

3b) Whitney

3c) Kostitsyn

4a) Parenteau

4b) Sullivan

5) Mueller

B6

1) Gaustad

2) Prust

3) T. Mitchell

4a) Asham

4b) Latendresse

5a) Halpern

5b) Winchester

5c) JF Jacques

*coughs

(Lose Budaj and sign Clemmenson.)

nice list, but have zero need of a bottom six guy.

Kostitsyn/Paranteau would be fine by me.

But, i think Bergevin/Dudley will make a trade for a forward.

Cole came to Montreal because no one else offered the same dollars or term. When we signed him the term scared me - still does.

While I'd love for Parise, Suter and weber (next year), coming to Montreal, these are guys that EVERY team is going to be willing to throw money and term at. If you are Parise and have no emotional attachment to Montreal, would you pick Montreal if you can get similar or more money to play with Datsyuk in Detroit, crosby in Pittsburgh or Kopitar in LA??

First of all, why do we assume we have absolutely no chance in the Parise sweepstakes? Just asking. I hate the way everyone just assumes the Habs could not possibly ever bag the top UFA in any given summer. Considering that Gainey ran the table on UFAs in 2009 and that jackass Gauthier managed to secure the services of Erik Cole, I find this pessimism questionable.

Ray Whitney seems to do great no matter where he goes and no matter how old he is. If we want to add him as a stop-gap, I'd be for that.

And personally, I'm all for the low-cost, high-risk, high-ceiling options like Lats or Mueller. That sort of move is perfectly appropriate for a team like ours that has a lot of holes in the lineup. Some such signing(s) may represent the likeliest outcome, and it'd be kinda fun seeing whether one or more of these guys can surprise us.

I see Flames seem to be selling future and have given 2013 5th round pick for Dennis Wideman? and Habs hold their 2nd pick, i guess they think they can squeek into playoffs/contend this coming year eh?

Wideman is a good d-man, but $5+/year?

So i doubt Iginla will be available for trade.

Oh well, Habs should end up with a fairly high 2nd rounder next June.

Still remember a cultural/language/racist controversy involving Shane Doan and the Province of Québec.

Not a good fit. Not at all...

I like Mueller, but one year and one year only... .I don't trust him with a multi year contract, and I seriously doubt insurance companies do either.

All I want for July 1st is a CBA signed by both side...

You aren't getting one before September 7th at the earliest IMO.

CBA expires September 15th.

In any business over 80% of CBAs are signed absolute last minute (or later)

Still remember a cultural/language/racist controversy involving Shane Doan and the Province of Québec.

Not a good fit. Not at all...

Its been proven that Ladislav Nagy, not Shane Doan was the source of the offensive comment

Nobody really interests me besides Latendresse and Bryan Allen. I also like Brandon Prust, he brings major sandpaper.

Obviously signing Parise or Suter would be ridiculous but unlikely.

I think we will make a trade Sunday, possibly acquire a winger for one of our d-men, most likely Yannick Weber.

What about an offer sheet to T.J. Oshie? He can play any forward position and is a real hard worker and hits like a truck.

Its been proven that Ladislav Nagy, not Shane Doan was the source of the offensive comment

You know MOntreal's medias as well as I do...