July 1st: Who do we want, who can we get?

Commandant

Maybe I am wrong here but the problem that I see is that our centers try to win every single faceoff clean instead of going for the draw and battling for possession like some of the very best centers do. perhaps it is time to bring in someone who can teach these guys how to maintain possession simply by tying up a stick and then waiting for the bigger bodies to come in and take the puck.

Maybe this comes down to the size and strength issue? A reason why guys like iginla and Doan although wingers generally do well in the faceoff circle.

Yanic Perreault and carboneau were among the best centers in the game, neither were very big, or considered the strongest on their team.

Maybe I am wrong here but the problem that I see is that our centers try to win every single faceoff clean instead of going for the draw and battling for possession like some of the very best centers do. perhaps it is time to bring in someone who can teach these guys how to maintain possession simply by tying up a stick and then waiting for the bigger bodies to come in and take the puck.

Maybe this comes down to the size and strength issue? A reason why guys like iginla and Doan although wingers generally do well in the faceoff circle.

Yanic Perreault and carboneau were among the best centers in the game, neither were very big, or considered the strongest on their team.

These guys also practiced draws with hundreds of pucks every single day. It was their speciality so they worked on it.

For fun I just looked at the best FO men last season. Here is the list of the top 10. Toews, Bergeron, Pavelski, Steckel, Gaustad, Gordon, Vermette, malhotra, Halpern, Datsyuk.

Apart from a couple, these are some big guys.

After talking with EHIW_HWL on gtalk, I have been convinced that Semin should be signed by Montreal.

Semin - Plekanec - Gionta

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole

Oh god it looks so good.

I don't even care about his problems, because the two major positives outweigh everything else: A) We sign a player who immediately becomes the most offensively talented player on the team, and B) it guarantees Gomez plays in Hamilton.

After talking with EHIW_HWL on gtalk, I have been convinced that Semin should be signed by Montreal.

Semin - Plekanec - Gionta

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole

Oh god it looks so good.

I don't even care about his problems, because the two major positives outweigh everything else: A) We sign a player who immediately becomes the most offensively talented player on the team, and B) it guarantees Gomez plays in Hamilton.

I see you aren't the only one he has converted with his soviet propaganda! (i kid)

He warmed me up to the idea as well

please no semin...please my heart just cant take another floater. we just got rid of Kostitsyn for ######s sake

at least Kovy had the hair, i swear every time his helmet came off (once a game) I was seeing visions of Lafleur out there, it was glorious.

please no semin...please my heart just cant take another floater. we just got rid of Kostitsyn for ######s sake

at least Kovy had the hair, i swear every time his helmet came off (once a game) I was seeing visions of Lafleur out there, it was glorious.

Geez... can it take a 0.87 PPG player? Mine can.

I ended up reading some articles on Semin and I've turned the corner on him. He's actually a very good defensive player who is always going towards the net. The reason his numbers dropped last season was having no center due to Backstrom's injury. His reputation isn't deserved and he's certainly better than Andrei Stupid Kostitsyn.

Yes, Kovy had great hair, I'm sure he was quite popular with the ladies. As for Semin, I suppose he could have great hair too, he needs some tips from Kovy on that, but he'll never have his style. On a serious note, Semin is not exactly the type of player Bergevin seems to covet, and as I stated before, I believe we are done adding free agents for the summer.

there is a reason that Semen hasnt signed yet...for the kind of money he is likely demanding there is really no garantee of what player you are getting from night to night. a la Kostitsyn or Kovalev

I am not saying that he isnt skilled but just very enigmatic, he just seems like the kind of player whose productivity depends on his happiness.

in my opinion...

Semin (baking soda) + Therrien (vinegar) = percieved dressingroom problems= too much media coverage = drama = not worth it

where as a situation like...

Doan (chocolate) or Leblanc (Graham cracker) + Therrien (marshmello) = a way better senario (fond memories of a my childhood)

I know I am comparing apples and oranges but all these are options right now.

I ended up reading some articles on Semin and I've turned the corner on him. He's actually a very good defensive player who is always going towards the net. The reason his numbers dropped last season was having no center due to Backstrom's injury. His reputation isn't deserved and he's certainly better than Andrei Stupid Kostitsyn.

I am not trying to be an ass, but are you being serious or are you kidding? Because this is not what I think about when I think Alex Semin.

http://www.anguscert...the-10-percent/

this explains everything. (Though my personal opinion on why I am so Pro-Sasha is due to watching a hell of a lot of Washington games over the past 3-4 seasons)

Dont get me wrong I really loved Kovalev in Montreal and think he should have retired a Hab (I wasnt kidding when I said I loved seeing him fly around with his helmet off making other players look stupid).

But do you really think that Semin will succeed under Therrin? I wouldnt take the chance if I could get Doan for the same money and with the young team we are going to have that 10% of character is going to be very important.

Dont get me wrong I really loved Kovalev in Montreal and think he should have retired a Hab (I wasnt kidding when I said I loved seeing him fly around with his helmet off making other players look stupid).

But do you really think that Semin will succeed under Therrin? I wouldnt take the chance if I could get Doan for the same money and with the young team we are going to have that 10% of character is going to be very important.

Btw, I was going to bitch at you for it, but not as much as people who start throwing accusations of Sasha being a coach killer, when the guy can barely speak English in the first place. It's not Therrien who would be the biggest stumbling block in Sasha ever succeeding in Montreal, it would be the fact we have barely any Russians.

Preference is still Doan but have to admit that Semin would be a shorter term contract and I bet he scores more goals and points than Parise this year. He suffocated under the defensive system.

I predict there is 0 chance Semin comes here but I have been converted as well to think he should.

Semin would help this team as he would score goals in the regular season, no doubt about that.

Another writer on our site did a piece on him yesterday, it even got picked up by Puck Daddy. A major reason for his goals being down was the fact he didn't have a centre.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/07/10/alexander-semin-from-russia-with-lack-of-effort/

My big concern is this.

In the last 4 years Washington was eliminated in the playoffs in 7 games 3 times (Pittsburgh, Montreal, New York). In those 21 games, Semin scored 2 goals.

I worry that he doesn't come to play when it matters.

Your team has to be good enough to make the playoffs for it to matter. The Habs aren't there yet.

Any additional offense would help the habs enormously. They were a 1 line team last year.

Your team has to be good enough to make the playoffs for it to matter. The Habs aren't there yet.

Any additional offense would help the habs enormously. They were a 1 line team last year.

I agree which is why I would sign him to a short term deal at the right price.

My concern about playoffs is a reason I don't lock him up long term at big money.

It depends on what you want to do. They still have the top line intact.

IMO they have much better 3rd and 4th line and should produce more offense.

You have Gomez, Pleks, Bourque Gionta, Leblanc possibly and Galchenyuk to make a good 2nd line. You could sign Semin, you would have to move atleast 2 forwards and send Leblanc and Galy to the AHl and juniors.

My 3rd and 4th lines Are Moen, Eller Armstrong (leblanc)

Prust Noke White or Armstrong.

The difference between 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 in goals was six. The difference between 2009-2010 and 2011-2012 in goals was three.

Yes we need to score more goals but as much as Bourque sucked last season, he only has to score 21 goals (Kostitsyn + Cammalleri's totals combined) to make up for what we lost last season. Bourque was awful for us only scoring five but he had 13 in 38 in Calgary last year and the two previous seasons he scored 27. It's not that ridiculous of an idea of him rebounding.

You then have Gionta scoring eight goals. He nearly scored 30 the previous seasons.

What we didn't have in 2010 and 2011 was Cole and Pacioretty scoring 33 and 35. Lars Eller scoring 16 was a big boost to our third line scoring output as it improved was 10/11's year of Gomez and Eller combining for 14 goals.

With a relatively healthy season we're on pace to once again be scoring around 210 goals which isn't great but people seem to be banking on Bourque having the exact same or worse season this year just because Gomez collapsed.