July 1st: Who do we want, who can we get?

Commandant

Every one of you guys has Gomez not playing but no top 6er coming in. Unless he is a massive distraction, I do not see him getting sent to the minors. He will be on the team unless there is help from outside.

There has allegedly been talks between Bergevin, Gomez and his agent about how Gomez might feel about not playing for Montreal this fall. Basic stuff like, "Would you report" and such.

Basically, Bergevin is giving Gomez an opportunity to prove his worth to the team. If he doesn't, he won't stay very long. Molson is fine to pay a player in Hamilton and Bergevin doesn't seem to be against it either. "He's a Montreal Candien right now" isn't exactly a vote of confidence.

There has allegedly been talks between Bergevin, Gomez and his agent about how Gomez might feel about not playing for Montreal this fall. Basic stuff like, "Would you report" and such.

Basically, Bergevin is giving Gomez an opportunity to prove his worth to the team. If he doesn't, he won't stay very long. Molson is fine to pay a player in Hamilton and Bergevin doesn't seem to be against it either. "He's a Montreal Candien right now" isn't exactly a vote of confidence.

Ya for sure. I get that, but where is his replacement? I realize that based on his performance, I could replace him, but I don't see him pushed into the minors by any of our prospects. The only way I see Gomez going down is if a top 6er is brought in from outside.

Ya for sure. I get that, but where is his replacement? I realize that based on his performance, I could replace him, but I don't see him pushed into the minors by any of our prospects. The only way I see Gomez going down is if a top 6er is brought in from outside.

Gomez gives us zero flexibility if we need to make trades in the season. Strike one.

Gomez was almost four full percentage points weaker at the faceoff circle than Nokia with relatively the same amount of chances meaning he isn't better suited for fourth line duties. Strike two.

Gomez was barely productive placed on the wing for the top six. Strike three.

Gomez played four games more than Louis Leblanc and the rookie had a point less and a +3 compared to Gomez' -9. Strike four.

Four strikes. He certainly doesn't deserve any spot over Louis Leblanc, he doesn't deserve a spot over Petteri Nokelainen and sitting him on the bench ruins our mobility for making trades.

Scott Gomez does not fit on this team anymore.

• Upvote 2

Scott Gomez does not fit on this team anymore.

Barring a 180, you would have to assume that Gomez is done in Montreal. I imagine that he'll be given a token "chance" at training camp, but that will be the last we see of Gomer in a Habs jersey.

35 points is a 'bounce back' for a guy making $7 mil?That comment just proves how ludicrous keeping Gomez is. Unless he is pushing 60 points and reliably leading effective rushes and generating plays, his very existence in a Habs jersey is absurd.

It sounds as though the Habs are playing it exactly right; let him know that they're seriously considering sending him to Hamilton; defend him publicly in the meantime; give him a last chance in training camp. If he fails to deliver - and I mean, not 'deliver' as in 35 points, but deliver as a clear-cut top-6 player - send his arse down where it belongs. All's well that end's well.

35 points is a 'bounce back' for a guy making $7 mil?That comment just proves how ludicrous keeping Gomez is. Unless he is pushing 60 points and reliably leading effective rushes and generating plays, his very existence in a Habs jersey is absurd.

It sounds as though the Habs are playing it exactly right; let him know that they're seriously considering sending him to Hamilton; defend him publicly in the meantime; give him a last chance in training camp. If he fails to deliver - and I mean, not 'deliver' as in 35 points, but deliver as a clear-cut top-6 player - send his arse down where it belongs. All's well that end's well.

I was honestly fine with his 09-10 season. He was still overpaid but 59points for a centerman in the league today puts in the top 30 for centermen scoring (last season was a little low on scoring though). He was unfairly maligned that year by fans. But his last two seasons have been absolutely atrocious and anything under 40 points is absolutely unacceptable. Double his games last season and he would have played a full season. Double his points? 22. Incredibly unacceptable. Wade Redden wasn't playing this bad when New York sent him down.

Gomez has to be leading the team in pre-season scoring with a positive +/- and a faceoff percentage around 55% for him to make this team. Otherwise to the AHL you go.

I was honestly fine with his 09-10 season. He was still overpaid but 59points for a centerman in the league today puts in the top 30 for centermen scoring (last season was a little low on scoring though). He was unfairly maligned that year by fans. But his last two seasons have been absolutely atrocious and anything under 40 points is absolutely unacceptable. Double his games last season and he would have played a full season. Double his points? 22. Incredibly unacceptable. Wade Redden wasn't playing this bad when New York sent him down.

Gomez has to be leading the team in pre-season scoring with a positive +/- and a faceoff percentage around 55% for him to make this team. Otherwise to the AHL you go.

Oh yeah, for the record, I had no problem with Gomez in 09-10 either. He wasn't worth his salary, that went without saying; but he was playing the way he was supposed to play, leading rush after rush and generally serving as a very effective playmaking pivot. Unlike many people I don't expect him to score goals. He was in the top 20 in the league in assists; that, along with blazing transitions through the neutral zone, is his game, and that's what he has to do.

I still remember the third period of Game 5 against the Flyers. Shift after shift, they passed to Gomez in our end, and shift after shift he swept the puck into the Flyers' zone, yielding chance upon chance. He was flying. It was ultimately futile, but great to see.

As you say, he simply stopped being effective. Many nights, he looks like he should be getting points. But in the end he's generating nothing. He's had his chance. The mandate is clear: return 100% to form or piss off.

Don't forget that even if you send him down, you still have to pay him. Thats real money, folks. If Montreal has the cap space, and he looks alright in camp, he'll be on the team. If, by trade or other route, we do pick up a top 6 winger, and we are tight against the cap, then he gets sent down.

Don't forget that even if you send him down, you still have to pay him. Thats real money, folks. If Montreal has the cap space, and he looks alright in camp, he'll be on the team. If, by trade or other route, we do pick up a top 6 winger, and we are tight against the cap, then he gets sent down.

Molson already made a comment to the effect of, "If my GM says we need to afford it, we'll afford it."

Montreal is one of the wealthiest teams in the league. They can unquestionably afford it and Molson is on board doing it.

If nobody is signed, I will bet money or embarassing signature, that gomer is in the line up

I agree with that, they keep him up until the trade is made.

I just think that we're not done this off-season, and even if we go into camp and the season with gomer, if he doesn't look like a 55-60 point player, a trade to bring in a top 6 and sending Gomez to the minors will be done at some point.

Even if hes on the 23 man roster, I don't see them forcing him into the top 6 if he's not producing like it. He'll stick around... on the third or 4th line spot until they can make a deal for a legit guy.

I'd predict you are both wrong.

Galchenyuk is likely getting the eight games up and I'm betting Leblanc will get a look at the start of the season as well. Both of these push Gomez out of the lineup. They are going to be determined to see how Bourque plays in the top six with Plekanec and Gionta (likely) and if he's flopping, Leblanc can't replace and Galchenyuk needs to go back to the OHL, *then* they will make a trade for a top six player. Gomez doesn't decide anything unless he plays great enough to make the roster.

I agree with that, they keep him up until the trade is made.

I just think that we're not done this off-season, and even if we go into camp and the season with gomer, if he doesn't look like a 55-60 point player, a trade to bring in a top 6 and sending Gomez to the minors will be done at some point.

Even if hes on the 23 man roster, I don't see them forcing him into the top 6 if he's not producing like it. He'll stick around... on the third or 4th line spot until they can make a deal for a legit guy.

I hope this is the most likely scenario

Gomez with the Habs for THE WHOLE SEASON.

Once again, you read it here first.

I expect you are right. That approach has really paid dividends for the last three years. A couple of injuries here and there and we will be right back to trying to keep afloat. We got to give the new coaching staff a little bit of leeway, but are we trying to win the Stanley Cup or are we trying to again squirm into the playoffs?

Anything that involves a Scott Gomez picture and approved by Brian and Matt :halm:

Alright now lets talk duration?

3 months?

and only two ways to win.

Either the season ends in mid April and Gomez is on Habs roster all year.

Or Gomez is waived and sent to hamilton or traded bought out.

JMMR extends hand to JoeLassister for a shake

One of the young kids... either Leblanc, Palushaj, Geoffrion, Gallagher, or Galchenyuk should start the season in the top 9 if no other changes are made.

Whoever does best at Training Camp.

Agreed. M&M have pretty much stated this as well.

Unless a great deal opens up, I think we have to get use to the idea that no top six LW is being acquired before the young guns have a chance to stake their claim at a starting spot with the Habs. Who knows, maybe one of LL, Gallagher and Gally can step into a top six spot, or maybe Armstrong has a resurgence. There are a lot of possibilities and it is, perhaps, wise to leave a spot for players to set their sights on...

In terms of a top four dman still being on the shopping list, I diagree. I think Emelin is well on the way to being a solid top four, perhaps top two, NHL dman. I love the dynamism of PK, Markov, Gorges and Emelin as the top four - a very complimentary and multi-talented core. The Cube can step in when required and Kabs is a solid second string PP QB. We need to leave space for Diaz, Weber, Tinordi and Beaulieu to get their licks in this season. One of them will no doubt play some time in the top four when injuries dictate.

I like what MB had done and look forward to training camp. Not to mention some reasonable CBA negotiating...

I don't know about that, but I don't see LL, Galchenyuk, or palushaj chasing him out of the roster

LL maybe if he improved over the summer. He did alright I thought in the NHL and that was without a season in the AHL if I am correct.