July 1st: Who do we want, who can we get?

Commandant

I'm hoping a healthy Galchenyuk blows everyones mind at camp and is an NHLer from day one, but I don't count on that happening this year.

I hope not. I don;t want him to lose a year of eligibility for 20 points playing 6-7 mins a game.

I hope not. I don;t want him to lose a year of eligibility for 20 points playing 6-7 mins a game.

Thats what will determine wether he stays or not, in my opinion. If you read the article posted on the home page, there is no clear way to handle a player such as this. So, in my opinion, if he's going to play 6 to 7 minutes a game, there's no way you'd want him here. If he's going to play top 6 minutes and contributes, than, by all means, lets keep him. I'm no expert on the matter, but I think he will get the 8 game trial, and if he earns top minutes, then he's probably better off staying. Hell, even 12-14 minutes a game at the NHL level might be better for his development than a year of junior. I can't wait to see how it plays out.

If he's playing 6-7 minutes per game, he didn't blow everyone away at camp and make the team.

I'll start this off by saying I'm no cap expert, but I really don't get how every year teams like Philly, Detroit and the Rangers manage to be in on all the big signings and we seem to always be up against the cap.

The rangers have Gborak, Lundquist, Richards and now Nash, but apparently still have plenty of cap space to chase Doan and yet if we manage to sign Subban we have some spare change to spend on a depth forward or Dman.

It seems the same every year. The only conclusion I can make is that either we are really crap at cap management or Philly, Detroit and the Rangers are really good. I would never change alliegences, but I sometimes wonder how much fun it would be to be a fan of one of the teams I mentioned, as they always seem to be in the running for whatever free agent is the flavour of the day, whereas we seem to spend to the cap but can never seem to build a team that starts as favourites or anywhere near it.

Sorry for the rant but it dosn't seem right.

The big difference is that those teams dump their bad contracts and mistakes, while we are in the group that have been eager to pick up other team's garbage and bad contracts (i.e. Kaberle, Gomez, bourque).

Those team also always get value in return for their best assets, while we either give them away for garbage, spare parts or no return at all (i.e. Cammy, Ak46, ribeiro, higgens, McDonough, hainsey, Lapierre, Ryder, streit, Souray).

I'll start this off by saying I'm no cap expert, but I really don't get how every year teams like Philly, Detroit and the Rangers manage to be in on all the big signings and we seem to always be up against the cap.

The rangers have Gborak, Lundquist, Richards and now Nash, but apparently still have plenty of cap space to chase Doan and yet if we manage to sign Subban we have some spare change to spend on a depth forward or Dman.

It seems the same every year. The only conclusion I can make is that either we are really crap at cap management or Philly, Detroit and the Rangers are really good. I would never change alliegences, but I sometimes wonder how much fun it would be to be a fan of one of the teams I mentioned, as they always seem to be in the running for whatever free agent is the flavour of the day, whereas we seem to spend to the cap but can never seem to build a team that starts as favourites or anywhere near it.

That's the trouble. For every Wiz that has worked, there has been a Gomez, Bourque or Kaberle that hasn't. We always seem worried that if we dump our bad contracts no one will come here and yet still no one comes. Probably frustration talking at the moment but I wish we could be in the running for elite talent. Not just looking for reclamation projects.

(null)

That's the trouble. For every Wiz that has worked, there has been a Gomez, Bourque or Kaberle that hasn't. We always seem worried that if we dump our bad contracts no one will come here and yet still no one comes. Probably frustration talking at the moment but I wish we could be in the running for elite talent. Not just looking for reclamation projects.

(null)

we nabbed cole last season and he was one of the top guys available no?

Yes he was, but I'm not sure if I would put him in the same category as Nash, Parise or Sutter. It's not so much the individual players, just the fact the teams I mentioned above always seem to be in the hunt. Us, not so much.

(null)

Edited by Kiwihab

The Rangers have a huge contract buried in the AHL, (Redden), we can do the same.Cammileri, Gionta, Cole, Kovalev, all amongst the biggest free agent names available in the years they signed in Montreal, they had no problem signing here, so I don't see what some of you are getting at. You can't sign every free agent out there. New York and Philly both wanted Parise and Suter, neither team got them, either. Sometimes we tend to group all other teams together vs our team and say, well, New York and Philly always get the free agents. Truth is, they don't really do much different, individually, then the Habs do. Also, Nash was traded, not a free agent signing (See my rant in the NHL forum).

Capgeek.com

The numbers are all there.

First of all, the idea that no one wants to come here is nonsense. Gainey ran the table on UFAs in 2009. That should pretty much have settled the question. For that matter, Jagr said even after signing with Dallas that we were his first choice. Yet Montreal fans still have this complex whereby we still think it's 2003 and Andreas Dackell is the best we can do. As long as we are a competitive team and the Canadian dollar is close to par, Montreal will be in the mix.

As the for the Rangers, Philly, etc., the secret is really no secret. You have to draft well and excel at player development. If you do that, you will be able to surround high-priced UFAs with cheap and effective young talent. That's the foundation. If Philly didn't have Giroulx, for instance, they wouldn't be working from nearly as strong a hand. It's also important to note that Philly had to move Carter and Richards to make room for Bryzghalov (!), a move that led directly to the first two guys becoming Stanley Cup champions. Let's not romanticize those teams too much.

It helps, of course, to be ruthless in purging cap problems, as the Rags were with Redden or Chicago was with Huet.

Montreal has been far too patient with Gomez; no way would any of the aforementioned teams still have him on their roster. But our real problem has been crappy player development. If we keep Ribeiro, we don't need to get Gomez in the first place. If Gainey Rebuild 1.0 had been handled better, we don't need to build an entire roster with costly UFAs in 2009. Everything comes back to having a strong supply of excellent youth in a cap system.

I think player development is something we were greatly needing in the aughties and too many players developed improperly not on the ice but off the ice. Bergevin has come in and tried to fix that immediately. No word on if guys like Mellanby, Brisebois and Lapointe are going to do a good job but they are still doing a job that really didn't exist and allowed the players to run amok.

As for Montreal being a difficult place to sign, it actually was in the past. Montreal offered more money to Briere, Shanahan and Arnott to come and they all went to other cities. Remember having to settle for Sergei Samsonov? It's okay, I tried to forget about it too. 2009 was because Montreal made a serious effort to change their atmosphere and players welcomed coming onto a team where they could set the rules and environment instead of having to come into the Koivu/Kovalev mess regime. Today is a much better time for players to come to Montreal but we still have to pay a premium due to taxes. Very few players are coming here on the cheap.

I think player development is something we were greatly needing in the aughties and too many players developed improperly not on the ice but off the ice. Bergevin has come in and tried to fix that immediately. No word on if guys like Mellanby, Brisebois and Lapointe are going to do a good job but they are still doing a job that really didn't exist and allowed the players to run amok.

As for Montreal being a difficult place to sign, it actually was in the past. Montreal offered more money to Briere, Shanahan and Arnott to come and they all went to other cities. Remember having to settle for Sergei Samsonov? It's okay, I tried to forget about it too. 2009 was because Montreal made a serious effort to change their atmosphere and players welcomed coming onto a team where they could set the rules and environment instead of having to come into the Koivu/Kovalev mess regime. Today is a much better time for players to come to Montreal but we still have to pay a premium due to taxes. Very few players are coming here on the cheap.

Right, the new management team FINALLY gets the importance of player development. Thank heavens.

The second half of your post is also correct. The biggest problem we had in attracting players was a rep as a loser franchise. Gainey fixed this. It's true that we have to compensate UFAs for the odious tax rates, but it's not as though the Rangers got Nash, Gaborik or Richards at cut rates either. Philly paid through the nose for Bryzgalov and now, potentially, Weber. Those teams pay full market value for their UFAs and contracts in general, just as we do.

• 5 months later...

Gomez with the Habs for THE WHOLE SEASON.

Once again, you read it here first.

Anything that involves a Scott Gomez picture and approved by Brian and Matt :halm:

Alright now lets talk duration?

3 months?

and only two ways to win.

Either the season ends in mid April and Gomez is on Habs roster all year.

Or Gomez is waived and sent to hamilton or traded bought out.

JMMR extends hand to JoeLassister for a shake

3 months it is. You're right about how to win.

If the season is cancelled, consider this as a tie.

JoeLassister extends hand to JMMR for a shake.

Edit : never wanted that much to lose a bet.

Bump.

Gomez is pretty much the most expensive fourth line center in NHL history but truth is, he's also one of the most skilled players to play the fourth line center role. He has a great opportunity to play great and give some serious depth to the team. Otherwise, he sits in a press box and watches Nokia do his job. Either way, he knows he is facing a buyout at the end of the season and that means uncertainly for his career. You won't see Gomez play lazy at the very least.

If he doesn't get the contract he wants, I hope we see him back on the Alaska Aces. They love him there. He's such a great ambassador for that state. He never has to worry about his play. That said, it would be funny if the Islanders are the team who signs him when he rejected getting traded there as a Canadien.

So who wins the bet?

I believe he is off the Roster?

Can any no partisan people weigh in?

Well technically Gomez is still with the Habs...

He's on the payroll, he's taking up cap space...

Wait, you did a bet with Joe? Make him photoshop himself tongue-kissing Jiri Tlusty as his avatar.