Nokelainen re-signs

dlbalr

Didn't see this coming, 1 year, $575k. Same deal for Brendon Nash as well though his is two-way.

The Nokelainen signing surprised me too. Like I said in the other thread, this should fill the 4th line C void. Let's hope he does better than last year.

Interestingly enough this is a pay raise for him although it comes lower than what his QO was. At that price, I could see them trying to put him in the minors if a better option presents itself.

Depth signing. Noke had some good games last year. If something better comes comes along, he can be buried. As Dblair says. Noke, White, Moen/Staubitz can work I guess. I was hoping for a improved fourth line next year. It may still happen. I will reserve judgement until the end of training camp when I see the roster.

I'm still surprised by it to be honest

Is he the 4th line C or is he press box fodder 13th forward?

At that price, I suppose it wouldn't hurt if he were the latter.

Its only 25K above NHL minimum

Exactly.

I'm still going to hope MB improves upon last year's 4th line.

Blech. Can't gripe about the cost, but talk about a blah player. I'm sure we'll have more interesting stuff to talk about pretty soon, though. ;)

Honestly whatever fourth line C we get is probably going to be uninteresting. The only guy with any pizazz would be Ryan Carter since he had a good run with the Devils to the finals.

Its not a shocker, simply a depth guy who is decent in faceoffs, despite his one-way contract, if need be, they won't hesitate to demote him.

Honestly whatever fourth line C we get is probably going to be uninteresting. The only guy with any pizazz would be Ryan Carter since he had a good run with the Devils to the finals.

He has agreed to terms with New Jersey.

Nothing wrong with this signing. As a few of you pointed out, He is good at faceoffs and the PK. That's what you want a 4th line center to do. With Moen and White it is a decent fourth line at a good price. Staubitz i would put at 13.

Prust would cost you 2 mill more.

Good signing for what he is... our 13th forward.

Exactly...the entire 4th line shouldn't cost more than 2 million per season combined. Play 5 minutes, don't do anything dumb, while Cole, Pacioretty and Desharnais are resting up.