2012-13 Habs Lineup: the Forwards

hankhab

I think in the current situation it is reasonable to expect LL to stick with thte team and all other prospect go to Hamilton for seasoning. I dont believe any of our young guys will make an impact in the NHL this year, and I think managment knows this as well.

Let them grow as a team under less pressure in Hamilton. Then when the time is right (ie. when Gomez and Kaberle and Gionta's contracts come off the books) bring up the pieces that seem ready and use the money we will have to get some real star talent to compliment them. If we happen to suck in the mean time, well an extra top 10 pick wont hurt either.

for now I will definatly be driving up to hamilton to watch a few bulldogs games this season......

I agree 100%. I'm hoping Leblanc gets top 6 minutes, I feel he can handle that role, he can be a slick passer, it was painful sometimes watching him play alongside guys who didn't match his effort and skill. If not top 6, then I hope the 3rd line gets more ice, should with Eller and Moen, and either Bourque or Leblanc. That being said, we have one of the better first lines in hockey, I feel with Cole-dd-Patches, and I feel confident that we will have one of the better 3rd lines in hockey too, with the above mentioned players, or perhaps Armstrong works himself in there.

Bourque may be 6'2", but he plays smaller then Gionta.

Yeah he is small when you play him with Gionta. Bourque is 6' 2" and 211 lbs. Lucky for us Gallager and gionta are both right wingers. Plex is almost 200 lbs so I give him an average grade based on weight and height both. Even Gally (our first round draft choice) who is our heir apparent big power center at 6'1" isn't overly big.

Bourque may be 6'2", but he plays smaller then Gionta.

Bourque has games in which he plays big, its just that he seems so lost or unfocused most times, much like Kostitsyn did. I still haven't written him off, perhaps the new coaching staff can get him back to the 20 goal/45 point level, which is fine for a 2nd/3rd liner. I really think we now have the forward group that we'll see heading into camp. With the uncertainty concerning the new CBA, and Bergevins statement about a spot being open for a young guy, I just don't see anything happening.
  • Upvote 1

So as it sit today, this is how the forward group should roll out eh?

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole

Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta

Armstrong-Eller-Moan

White-Nokalenin-Prust

Gomez

Pleks is not small. He just isn't BIG. Bourque is the same height for example.

Habs 29 Retired- This is what I responded to, it is not correct, so I corrected it. Plex is 5'11", Bourque is 6'2". It has nothing to do with heart.

Listening to an interview with him now, Dudley loves his versatility but sees him as a 3rd liner (who can help on the PP) with the Habs. Here's the interview:

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/FanAudioOnDemand/~3/YF87146dTqk/Rick-Dudley-with-Norm-Rumack-nr-20120708-Interview.mp3

so could be bottom six of;

Prust-Eller-Moan

White-Nok-Armstrong

Poor Eller, he needs or deserves at least 1 skilled winger, such as Leblanc/Gallagher, dosent he?

Listening to an interview with him now, Dudley loves his versatility but sees him as a 3rd liner (who can help on the PP) with the Habs. Here's the interview:

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/FanAudioOnDemand/~3/YF87146dTqk/Rick-Dudley-with-Norm-Rumack-nr-20120708-Interview.mp3

That makes more sense. People just need to keep news in check and understand Dudley doesn't set the lines.

Prust-Eller-Moan

White-Nok-Armstrong

Poor Eller, he needs or deserves at least 1 skilled winger, such as Leblanc/Gallagher, dosent he?

Yes, but there is no reason the last 2 lines can't be line 3 and 3a, especially if one of the above young guys make the team. Or, one of them could supplant Bourque on one of the top 2 lines. It will be an interesting problem having to deal with a surplus of NHL calibre forwards.

Habs 29 Retired- This is what I responded to, it is not correct, so I corrected it. Plex is 5'11", Bourque is 6'2". It has nothing to do with heart.

Sorry misinterpreted your post. Frankly, I think guys like Bourque and Ryder are perfect examples of too much emphasis being placed on size when runts like Gionta play tougher then them.

Prust-Eller-Moan

White-Nok-Armstrong

I agree. IMO it makes zero sense to have a Prust or Moen with Eller, to have both with him is stupidity!!!

• Upvote 1

Bourque suspended multiple times in the NHL because he plays too small, and with no edge.

There's a difference in going out and laying a solid cheque and playing tough and getting in the dirty areas, and simply being dirty and taking cheap shots when someone's back is turned.

Sorry misinterpreted your post. Frankly, I think guys like Bourque and Ryder are perfect examples of too much emphasis being placed on size when runts like Gionta play tougher then them.

I agree. IMO it makes zero sense to have a Prust or Moen with Eller, to have both with him is stupidity!!!

And gionta gets paid more then both Ryder and bourque to do so.

There's a difference in going out and laying a solid cheque and playing tough and getting in the dirty areas, and simply being dirty and taking cheap shots when someone's back is turned.

Worked for Boston

And gionta gets paid more then both Ryder and bourque to do so.

Worked for Boston

Easy to go around cheap shotting when you have the biggest goon in the league, (who is also going around throwing cheap shots) who nobody in the NHL can really fight.

Sure there is a difference, but neither of those things is soft

Remember when before the season we had a Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta line pegged as a trio only to see them do nothing at all. I think the same will happen and we'll see a drop in play of Cole which will split the 2 and a half men line.

Cole will still net us a good 25-29 goals but I don't see him hitting that 30 mark again.

With that said a change needs to be made. Not sure where or how but this team struggled to score goals last season and very little was done to change that.

We have a fresh management team, fresh coach so think we need to start fresh with something up front. Because of this I truly hope that Bergevin doesn't just tinker with the line-up but makes one wholesale change.

Does that mean Doan, Morrow, Sharp, I am not sure but something with impact has to happen to that forward group.

I've said all along that Desharnais was to me at least the odd man out but if we are a cap conscious team then perhaps we have to consider parting with who I think is our best forward in Plekanec.

Remember when before the season we had a Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta line pegged as a trio only to see them do nothing at all. I think the same will happen and we'll see a drop in play of Cole which will split the 2 and a half men line.

Cole will still net us a good 25-29 goals but I don't see him hitting that 30 mark again.

With that said a change needs to be made. Not sure where or how but this team struggled to score goals last season and very little was done to change that.

We have a fresh management team, fresh coach so think we need to start fresh with something up front. Because of this I truly hope that Bergevin doesn't just tinker with the line-up but makes one wholesale change.

Does that mean Doan, Morrow, Sharp, I am not sure but something with impact has to happen to that forward group.

I've said all along that Desharnais was to me at least the odd man out but if we are a cap conscious team then perhaps we have to consider parting with who I think is our best forward in Plekanec.

You're of the mindset that we should challenge for a cup this year perhaps? Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think Bergevin and Co.think that way. I think he is looking at contending 2 or 3 years down the road, and I think any moves he makes will reflect that. If we can sign Doan to a decent deal (see the Doan tread) then I wouldn't have a problem, but when it comes to trading our young guys and prospects, I'm not so sure thats the road we need to take this year.

You're of the mindset that we should challenge for a cup this year perhaps? Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think Bergevin and Co.think that way. I think he is looking at contending 2 or 3 years down the road, and I think any moves he makes will reflect that. If we can sign Doan to a decent deal (see the Doan tread) then I wouldn't have a problem, but when it comes to trading our young guys and prospects, I'm not so sure thats the road we need to take this year.

Definitely not of that mindset.

I am of the mindset to keep our young players and picks or at least those assets which you feel have a long term future with the team.

I am for going after a playoff birth simply to give much needed experience to our younger players but under no circumstances do we sell the farm right now

Don't sell the farm, but why not at least try to make the playoffs? Until I see MB do something to fix the top-6 - the blueline being much harder to address - I'm going to be furrowing my brow, because this group is not a legitimate playoff club as far as I can see. I remain slightly puzzled by out disinterest in Jagr and our apparent apathy about Whitney, let alone longer shots such as Lats. Surely the attitude of management is not just to cross its fingers on this dubious lineup - ?