UFA Day discussion thread

dlbalr

Dallas now has way too much veteran wingers and no centers.

They are not done trading, with Jagr and Whitney, less pp time for Erikkson, Morrow,

Ryder, Benn.

Talking of Ryder...Kaberle could be moved and we have some scoring piunch and one liability less.

One year less of contract too.

Bold = not true. Jagr and Whitney won't take away any minutes from Benn and Eriksson.

Benn and Roy are their top-2 centres. That's not terrible for the scoring lines.

I agree I bet the Stars have a great year. (regular season)

Roy is pretty terrible. I honestly think they should sign Kyle Wellwood as insurance for Roy.

Roy will crush his numbers from last year.

What if the Habs went after guys like Knuble, Rolston or Holmstrom as stop gaps for this year?

Neither of them would be expensive and could fill in on the second line, no?

I also see Angelo Esposito is available. What happened to this guy? I remember reading that Montreal was interested in him back when they drafted Pacioretty. Is he done?

Our free agent signings are apparently done for the season.

What makes you say that?

What if the Habs went after guys like Knuble, Rolston or Holmstrom as stop gaps for this year?

Neither of them would be expensive and could fill in on the second line, no?

All three looked completely washed up last year. I'm not sure how much they can help.

Holmstrom was down to 11 goals, and was a -9 playing on a very good detroit team.

Knuble had 6 goals and was a -15 on Washington.

Rolston had 24 points and hasn't scored 40 pts in 4 years.

This is quite a bit different from Jagr and Whitney, one first ballot hall of famer, and another potential hall of famer, who are still producing.

I also see Angelo Esposito is available. What happened to this guy? I remember reading that Montreal was interested in him back when they drafted Pacioretty. Is he done?

His knees are shot... He's had like 3 or 4 markov level surgeries, plus he was never as good as the hype to begin with.

Boy, if those dumpster-calibre guys are what we're looking at, then we missed the boat even more dramatically than I thought.

Doan would be my go-to UFA now. I also like the idea of a one-year deal for Semin (but why would he take that?). I'm still hung up on Whitney, he'd have been a great signing. Bah.

Boy, if those dumpster-calibre guys are what we're looking at, then we missed the boat even more dramatically than I thought.

Doan would be my go-to UFA now. I also like the idea of a one-year deal for Semin (but why would he take that?). I'm still hung up on Whitney, he'd have been a great signing. Bah.

I'd look at Mueller and Wolski if we want to go dumpster diving.

With a little bit of luck the Wild will be in the playoffs next season. Glad to see a team other then NY, Detroit, Chicago, LA get really good players. Good for them. Hats off to the Wild.

• Upvote 1

I'd look at Mueller and Wolski if we want to go dumpster diving.

Mueller could be an interesting fit, if he moves to the wing. At 6'2, 205 lbs he would certainly create room on a line with Plex and Gionta. I'm guessing he would cost $2M?

13 year contracts for good, but not elite players. I hope the Cba fixes this nonsense. They are manipulating the cap and doing dumb deals that will hurt the club long after the GM is fired. Parise is locked up until he is 41?

Frankly, if that was the kind of deal needed to get him or Suter, then I am glad we walked away.

13 year contracts for good, but not elite players. I hope the Cba fixes this nonsense. They are manipulating the cap and doing dumb deals that will hurt the club long after the GM is fired. Parise is locked up until he is 41?

Frankly, if that was the kind of deal needed to get him or Suter, then I am glad we walked away.

Why does the CBA need fixing?

Why do we need to handcuff the owners and prevent them from making mistakes?

If they made a mistake, oh well, they are only hurting their own team.

These guys are billionaires because they made their money doing business deals (some of them risky) in the real world, without being handcuffed. if they can't operate in the NHL, too bad, screw em.

As for the NHL Owners... when a small market team like Minnesota can afford to spend 196 million on two players in 1 day, I feel no sympathy when the owners cry poor in CBA negotiations.

Why does the CBA need fixing?

Why do we need to handcuff the owners and prevent them from making mistakes?

If they made a mistake, oh well, they are only hurting their own team.

These guys are billionaires because they made their money doing business deals (some of them risky) in the real world, without being handcuffed. if they can't operate in the NHL, too bad, screw em.

As for the NHL Owners... when a small market team like Minnesota can afford to spend 196 million on two players in 1 day, I feel no sympathy when the owners cry poor in CBA negotiations.

A) I think these are ad for the NHL in general.

B) I think this shows the players still have too much negotiating power to get these guys to be this dumb.

C) Some of these deals are to circumvent the cap. I want a change in rules to stop teams adding on years to lower the cap hit.

I was actually hoping the habs would sign price to that kind of deal. Would also love to lock up Subban with that type of deal.

Problem with the habs is that they dont take advantage of these type of deals. The G&G regimes were marred by stupid one year deals and even more stupid refusal to negotiate during the year, until gorges was finally signed last year.

The CBA needs to be such that most teams have a chance to keep players they've developed, and also to sign UFAs. The point is to avoid a scenario where excellent hockey markets bleed talent while a handful of rich teams vacuum up all the star players, which is what happened in the 1990s. The salary cap has accomplished this goal of creating better parity among teams in bidding for player services, which is why I'm basically happy with it. They did fix the loophole whereby you could lower the cap hit by signing guys until their 50s.

The CBA is NOT supposed to be a mechanism for preventing any and all forms of managerial stupidity. You wanna pay Gomez $7 mil per? You wanna lock up Di Pietro for a billion years? Knock yourself out.

I was actually hoping the habs would sign price to that kind of deal. Would also love to lock up Subban with that type of deal.

Problem with the habs is that they dont take advantage of these type of deals. The G&G regimes were marred by stupid one year deals and even more stupid refusal to negotiate during the year, until gorges was finally signed last year.

And if PK wrecks his knee and turns into a so so D? History is rarely kind to these deals and I see no reason that a happy player can't be extended 3 or 4 years at a time. Unfortunately, players are now expecting these deals when they hit UFA time and there is little you can do about it but pay up or lose them. The player is set for life with little incentive to perform and no risk on declining output.

Price's deal is long but tolerable. If we gave him 10 years it would suck. I don't want a Luongo deal.

The CBA needs to be such that most teams have a chance to keep players they've developed, and also to sign UFAs. The point is to avoid a scenario where excellent hockey markets bleed talent while a handful of rich teams vacuum up all the star players, which is what happened in the 1990s. The salary cap has accomplished this goal of creating better parity among teams in bidding for player services, which is why I'm basically happy with it. They did fix the loophole whereby you could lower the cap hit by signing guys until their 50s.

The CBA is NOT supposed to be a mechanism for preventing any and all forms of managerial stupidity. You wanna pay Gomez $7 mil per? You wanna lock up Di Pietro for a billion years? Knock yourself out.

You are ignoring the problem with this being a league when stupid actions by other GMs can have a negative impact on other teams. Instead of losing your best player to the richest GM, you lose them to the dumbest GM. Just remember that this is why we had no chance of getting Parise. It will also lead to more Habs money bailing out weak, stupid teams.

These contracts are now longer then the number of years many owners own the teams.

Like I said, I hope the CBA does something about it. You may not agree, but it is a negotiable item. I also think they need to raise UFA a couple of years. I am sure the players would disagree with both ideas. :)

I'm no expert, but from what I hear the owners' main concern is that the salary floor is too high.

On the last go-round, I predicted from the get-go that we would get a salary cap, and that the trade-off would be greater player mobility. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the UFA age lowered even more as part of the bargain that allows the cap floor to drop.

Would this be a crappy outcome for fans? Hard to say. You'd have to lock up the Subbans and Prices that much sooner in their careers, and that carries heightened risk. Then again, if the cap keeps rising it will eventually start squeezing out a lot of good markets as the Torontos and New Yorks and Detroits and Colorados gradually start to play UFA vacuum cleaner again. So I suppose we have to have it out sooner or later.

Incidentally, I don't see where GM stupidity crowded us out of the Parise sweepstakes - ? Unless the stupidity in question is Gauthier's, by making us an uncompetitive destination.

A) I think these are ad for the NHL in general.

B) I think this shows the players still have too much negotiating power to get these guys to be this dumb.

C) Some of these deals are to circumvent the cap. I want a change in rules to stop teams adding on years to lower the cap hit.

A) How?

b) No one puts a gun to anyone's head and asks them to sign the deal.

c) Escrow ensures players get 57% of revenue, no more, no matter what the deals do. All these deals do is raise escrow around the league.