UFA Day discussion thread

dlbalr

An interesting piece, Ben - perhaps one that suggests possible dance partners for the Habs should we wish to shop Kaberle or Weber. I can see Detroit or Nashville definitely snooping around for Kaberle in particular. We'll see. But I wish we'd added another top-4 defenceman as a prelude to any such move.

Apparently Jagr in his conference call with Dallas stated that the Habs were his preferred destination but that the team wasn't interested.

https://twitter.com/...915804420579328

That would confirm Bergevin's comment. A lot of people speculated that MB's assertion that the Habs weren't interested was really him saying that they didn't want to spend the money, or was a way for him to deny that they "lost out" on Jagr.

Interesting that MB would be so up front and frank about their lack of interest. Certainly continues to show that he is the anti-gauthier in how he communicates to the media/fans.

What a moronic thing for Jagr to say. "Hey Dallas fans, I settled for you". 'Hey Hab fans, I would have come but your team didn't want me (read, wouldn't pay my price)".

The art of "shutting up" seems to be lost on Jagr.

An interesting piece, Ben - perhaps one that suggests possible dance partners for the Habs should we wish to shop Kaberle or Weber. I can see Detroit or Nashville definitely snooping around for Kaberle in particular. We'll see. But I wish we'd added another top-4 defenceman as a prelude to any such move.

As much as I dislike having Kaberle on our team, if we do trade him, we really need another reliable, 15-18 minute guy for the bottom pairing, I like Bouillon, but him and Diaz out there together would be like watching an episode of the Smurfs.

As much as I dislike having Kaberle on our team, if we do trade him, we really need another reliable, 15-18 minute guy for the bottom pairing, I like Bouillon, but him and Diaz out there together would be like watching an episode of the Smurfs.

Well you can either watch the smurfs or the keystone cops with Kaberle. As long as the smurfs get the job done with Gargomel, I prefer them to the keystone cops.

Finally Frederic St-Denis has signed

He wasn't a UFA but since there's no thread for him I'll note that the deal calls for $575k in the NHL (below his QO of around 660k) and $90k in the AHL.

Question: What's the deal with Wolski? Still young, I know he's been injured a few times, but can't remember what the injuries were. Is he worth taking a flyer on? Is he a slacker?

Interestingly enough, I have a signed Wolski puck from his Avs days on my desk. I met him and a few others at a meet and greet, season ticket schmooze-fest a few years back.