2012-13 Habs lineup....the Defence

hankhab

Ok, here we go. My forwards post seemed to generate some discussion, and this place is getting kind of stale the last few days, so lets try this

Subban-Georges

Markov-Emelin

Kaberle-Bouillon

Diaz, Weber, St-Denis

Here's an area I see as needing attention, wether it be a free agent or trade. I'm actually comfortable with our top 4, I believe we'll see a return to form with Markov, and significant improvement from Subban (the 3rd year NHL star trend I mentioned in an earlier post) and Emelin (who progressed rapidly last year, I feel). What I'm not comfortable with is the prospect of one or more of the top 4 going down, as I don't know if I'd be happy seeing any of the others in that role for more than a handful of games. I actually like Diaz and his potential, I think he did quite well as a smallish, first year d-man last year, but I think he's destined as more of a 3rd pairing/offensive d-man. I'm not a fan of trading for a Yandle type, I don't feel we're ready to contend for a couple of years, and we have so many promising prospects at d, I'd rather not see those guys get shipped out for immediate help (although I'd happily ship any of the bottom 4 above for a decent return). What we need to add to this group is a reliable, defensively capable 3rd pairing guy who is capable of playing top 4 minutes if required. Candidates, anyone?

I think at this point Id rather wait for the upcoming prospects and see if they can fill the spots in a year or two rather than trade a bunch of them for expensive and old veterans. Go with the team we have for the year and see if any players have comeback years and if we can have a year with less injuries.

What happened to PK?

No Hjalmarsson and Kane is weak rumour, that might not be too far-fetched if Bergevin wants to put his stamp on team and PK is not his type of player?

I wouldnt do a seemingly Chelios deal revisited, but maybe Bergevin really wants Kane and sees glut of young d-men on farm? The swede would give you top 4 minutes and Kane is almost point/game.

The sooner Subban gets signed the better i will feel, till then who knows if he is being shopped?

I wouldn't trade Subban for Kane, there is just too much untapped potential. If we trade Subban, we'll regret it for years.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't trade Subban for Kane, there is just too much untapped potential. If we trade Subban, we'll regret it for years.

I mentioned it in another thread, and remember it's CORSI/Moneypuck and incredibly flawed but players whose competition was better than their teammates but still performed well, Subban is 8th among defencemen in the NHL. For those who live by this, Benoit Pouliot was #1 in the league for forwards with Darche at 10th.

Subban's defensive skill last season was quite underrated by close to everyone though. People can claim Martin killed his offense all they want (it's ridiculous when you compare the stats. He simply scored less) but Subban became a top four D-man last season and in his rookie year he wasn't there defensively. I agree that it would take a huge amount for me to give up Subban. He's a franchise D-man.

I'm going to suggest something a little less radical, but fitting with my opening post, how about Cam Barker? A first round flop of the Blackhawks, not resigned by the Oilers, has good size, experience, could be just what we need, and no doubt be had on the cheap. Bergevin is no doubt familiar with him as well.

I'm going to suggest something a little less radical, but fitting with my opening post, how about Cam Barker? A first round flop of the Blackhawks, not resigned by the Oilers, has good size, experience, could be just what we need, and no doubt be had on the cheap. Bergevin is no doubt familiar with him as well.

When you're let go by the second worst team in the league, who needs multiple defencemen, after being released by another non-playoff team just one year prior, something isn't quite right. Personally, I don't think he's an NHL calibre d-man anymore, at best a #7.

Barker was so bad last year he managed to be a regular healthy scratch on an Oilers defence core ravaged by injuries.

Minnesota also gave up on him in addition to Chicago and Edmonton.

He's a disaster of a D. I'd rather have St. Denis. No joke.

if Markov and Bouillon play a smart economical style and Emelin/Diaz continue progressing, we should be ok. By mid-season, we would know who is ready enough in Hamilton to force the trade of Kaberle and Weber.

Georges. -Subban

Markov -Bouillon

Emelin. -Diaz

Kaberle. -Weber

==============

Nash -Tinordi

St-Denis -Beaulieu

Fitzgerald -Ellis

Barker was so bad last year he managed to be a regular healthy scratch on an Oilers defence core ravaged by injuries.

Minnesota also gave up on him in addition to Chicago and Edmonton.

He's a disaster of a D. I'd rather have St. Denis. No joke.

I have to admit, thats a woeful track record. Hard to believe the guy could fall so far, after being a 2 or 3 overall pick, I believe?

Fitzgerald -Ellis

FitzGerald thankfully has left Hamilton, signing a 1 year deal with Adirondack. Kyle Hagel replaces him although Joe Stejskal who spent all of last year with the Dogs is also a candidate for that spot.

I would not put Emelin and Markov together. Emelin was much more devastating on the LD. Gorges Markov Emelin Subban Kaberle Bouillon Diaz.

Playing Emelin and Subban against skilled offensive guys who tend to play a passing play style of game would probably force them to dump and chase instead.

I like this a lot.

I would not put Emelin and Markov together. Emelin was much more devastating on the LD.

Gorges Markov

Emelin Subban

Kaberle Bouillon

Diaz.

I like this configuration inasmuch as - assuming The Cube still plays a physical game despite his short stature - the physicality is pretty evenly spread out, with the Emelin/PK combo as potentially devastating. But as others have noted, too much hinges here on Emelin emerging as a legitimate top-4 guy. There's also not much NHL experience on that second pairing and that could end up biting us on the behind.

All of which is to reiterate that we probably do need another top-4 guy...but who that guy might be, I have no idea. It wouldn't surprise me if MB decides to enter the season with this blueline (minus, perhaps, one of the Swiss) and revisits the matter later on down the line.

I like this configuration inasmuch as - assuming The Cube still plays a physical game despite his short stature - the physicality is pretty evenly spread out

Cube is definitely still physical and probably our best guy defensively behind Markov, Gorges and Subban.

All of which is to reiterate that we probably do need another top-4 guy...but who that guy might be, I have no idea. It wouldn't surprise me if MB decides to enter the season with this blueline (minus, perhaps, one of the Swiss) and revisits the matter later on down the line.

I think we can manage with having Cube as a defensive third pairing guy so long as Kaberle and Markov are both healthy and play better than they did last season. I have no worries when it comes to Subban and Gorges and Emelin got better as the season continued. He was very rough defensively at the start. By manage I don't mean be a Cup contender but the team might be playing the patience card. Bergevin knows we have some good kids in the system and eventually, at the right time a guy will open up and the trade will make sense.

FitzGerald thankfully has left Hamilton, signing a 1 year deal with Adirondack.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Does anyone have an opinion if Markov could play on the right side?

Would it help protect his knee?

Would it be easier on the knee because of how he would pivot if playing on the other side?

Because this is my favourite D line-up:

Georges. -Subban

Bouillon/Emelin -Markov

Emelin/Bouillon - Diaz

(Kaberle, Weber)

With Bouilon sliding down if/when Emelin's game improves to 2nd level pairing.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Does anyone have an opinion if Markov could play on the right side?

Would it help protect his knee?

Would it be easier on the knee because of how he would pivot if playing on the other side?

Because this is my favourite D line-up:

Georges. -Subban

Bouillon/Emelin -Markov

Emelin/Bouillon - Diaz

(Kaberle, Weber)

With Bouilon sliding down if/when Emelin's game improves to 2nd level pairing.

Our PP with Kaberle >>>>>>>> our PP with Diaz.

I would not put Emelin and Markov together. Emelin was much more devastating on the LD.

Gorges Markov

Emelin Subban

Kaberle Bouillon

Diaz.

But you have Markov on right d anyway, so why not with Emelin?